Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

New character name spelling is incorrect

catharborcatharbor
Mabinogi Rep: 970
edited December 28, 2017 in Help
I am so unhappy because this is the second time this has happened to me. I created a character and the spelling was supposed to be Ilyich (capital I, lowercase L). The name came through as if there are two capital I's - IIyich - and the system doesn't even allow two capital letters. It does make a difference; I found out because friends were trying to add me to their friends list and couldn't until we figured out that you had to spell the name with two capital letter I's - is there no way to have Nexon correct a spelling?

Comments

• ShoogShoog
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,535
    That's really odd. You can try to file a ticket with customer support, explain the issue, and then see if they might be able to change the character name for you.
    [Deleted User]
  • catharborcatharbor
    @Hardmuscle - thanks for the verification. I did submit a ticket and GM Aratig responded, "We thank you for taking your time and effort for providing us your concern and we understand you are wanting to change the name of your character on your account. Unfortunately, we do not process name changes upon request and cannot change the name of your character for you. Furthermore, a change like this is not as simple as it may seem, as it affects things like your Homestead, Friends list, and more which is why we cannot process this for you." I responded that they didn't understand - it's not like I just want to change a name, there is a bug and not fixing it is product negligence. I am not hopeful that Nexon will be proactive.
    [Deleted User]
  • EraleaEralea
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,890
    The naming system comes with a lot of funny rules.

• It allows you to put capital letters until you put in a lowercase letter, then it prevents you from entering another capital letter - ABCDEFg is okay, ABCdeFG is not allowed.
    • You cannot start a name with a number, and once you enter a number, it will prevent you from entering any more letters - Abc123 is okay, Abc123def is not.
    • It allows only two of the same capital or lowercase letter consecutively, but allows all the numbers you want - AAaabb111111 is okay, AAAAA and Aaaaaa are not.
    • For some reason, it blocks the combination of capital I and lowercase L, perhaps to prevent people from creating the combination of IIll, which, in-game, looks like four of the same letters in a row.
    • It also blocks the combination of capital O and the number 0, but not lowercase O and the number 0 - Ooo000 is okay, O000 is not.

Under these rules, we can enter LLII (all capitals) or LLll (all Ls), but not LLIl and definitely not LLlI.

I'd wager the reason for this particular combination of naming rules is to prevent scammers/griefers from doing things like this:
    license_plate.png
    GM Katherz can tell us if I would have won or lost when she comes back. 8D

But even if it is intentional, it does mean that legitimate names starting with I and L are a no-go unless you use a mildly idiotic form of capitalisation, whether it's two capital Is or two lowercase Ls, or something worse...
    yQId5.png
    Maybe they could fix it by only blocking the entering of a lowercase L if preceded by two capital Is, and allow the Il combination but block the entering of a second lowercase L after it. That way it would still appear to fit the only-two-letters-in-a-row rule.
    [Deleted User]Elris
  • CaissaCaissa
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,175
    Unfortunately, it probably is on purpose. If you did successfully take the name Ilyich, then some troll could easily take the identical looking IIyich and cause serious problems for you. I think, however, that double I should be the blocked configuration. Il- would seem much more common for names that were actually like names.
    [Deleted User]Greta
  • ZairakZairak
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,485
    Wow, what an insurmountable problem Nexon is facin-

969efd7461c52330097c48f7da839b2a.jpg
    [Deleted User]
  • EraleaEralea
    Nooooooo don't add serifs, it will spoil a lot of names that subbed a capital I for a lowercase L (and OP's name would look even worse LOL).

If they had serifs from the start then it would have been fair, but not after people have already used the capital I method to grab names that were already taken.
    [Deleted User]
  • ZairakZairak
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,485
    Eralea wrote: »
    Nooooooo don't add serifs, it will spoil a lot of names that subbed a capital I for a lowercase L (and OP's name would look even worse LOL).

If they had serifs from the start then it would have been fair, but not after people have already used the capital I method to grab names that were already taken.

That is fair enough, but for the record, I find it hilarious that your defense amounts to 'But if it's fixed now, all the people who chose to cheat the system and get an already taken name will look silly'.
    [Deleted User]
  • catharborcatharbor
    I've been communicating with support and they have refused to make any corrections; they were extremely polite but it still amounted to a flat refusal. They say it would be too hard to fix because it effects my friends list and my homestead. I work for a software company; knowing that there is a bug and saying that it's too hard to fix puzzles me. They didn't offer to give me another premium card so I could re-do my character and I'm not willing to spend money just to change the character name. Oh well. Thanks, Mabi players, for your comments! Happy New Year!
  • EraleaEralea
    Zairak wrote: »
    That is fair enough, but for the record, I find it hilarious that your defense amounts to 'But if it's fixed now, all the people who chose to cheat the system and get an already taken name will look silly'.

Won't deny that LOL

One of my favourite pets has a cheating-I name. I reckon the OCD would drive me crazy enough to use a pet medal to rename her, if it suddenly grew serifs.