Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!
Closed

REMOVE CHAIN AS A BEGINNER TALENT DURING REBIRTH

Comments

• BuffalosBuffalos
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,795
    Hardmuscle wrote:
    Since the beginning of this thread you've been outlining what you feel is bad about Chain Slash AP or good about Close Combat.... and not a damn bit of anything you said is relevant to the topic (unless you want it locked on the second tab).
    Earth to Hard: THAT'S WHAT PEOPLE HERE ARE WANTING. Take it off the beginner tab, read the freaking thread title.
    Hardmuscle wrote:
    Whether or not Chain Slash is good or bad makes no difference when the new user in question can rebirth every 24 hours.
    1) Daily rebirths don't fix misguidance.
    2) I actually like the daily rebirth feature. It tries to make newbies spread out more, but again MOST OF THEM FOCUS THE FIRST TALENT THEY PICK/LIKE TO NEAR COMPLETION BEFORE MOVING ON.
    Hardmuscle wrote:
    Yeah, I said those evil words again, and the only reason you don't like it is because you're over total level 1000 (like me and most people) and it no longer benefits you.
    I'm not sure where you got the pretense that I dislike the daily rebirth feature solely because "I can't use it." Are there anymore assumptions about my opinions on the game that you wish to guess incorrectly? This is turning into a running theme with you and me and it's really quite childish.
    Hardmuscle wrote:
    Now get off your dead skin, make a new account, and live the gamestyle (as the brand new player who chose Chain Slash as their first Talent) you've been ridiculing for the past 3 pages.
    I would if I weren't in classes. But how about the testament of three new players I met and two who quit the game after getting zero attachment to the game with the BS skill obtainment methods in a "beginner talent." If your beginner talent is scaring beginners off when others typically don't, it's not a beginner talent.
    Hardmuscle wrote:
    Most new users can't afford to live without Bachram. ~ because HP, MP, and SP pots cost money. ~ Remember? Money needed for repairs.
    There was a time before Bacharm, and since you're soo hell-bent on bringing that time up to defend your points on previous skill grinds it's only fair I bring that up to counter your stance on excessive cost of potions. Everyone lived through that time, and most got off fine in it (see below).
    Most NPC shop weapon/armor repairs aren't that expensive, and if anything, giving a newbie a chain blade as a main weapon is going to cost them more gold in the long run because chain blades cost 3x+ the amount of gold to repair than basic swords and bows. (Also don't forget that potions drop in decent numbers in the beginner zone dungeons and chapter 1 story dungeons, so potion money isn't going to be a super massive issue)
    Hardmuscle wrote:
    Even if this Talent were to be locked on the Second Tab; that restriction would only be in place until the 2nd rebirth. (This debate isn't worth having).
    Might be just me, but every time I rebirth my 15k+ character the talent screen defaults to the beginner tab. I'm really not sure what you're getting at there, with that observation considered.
    Dianusia wrote:
    ESPECIALLY after questline that shows you two skills, but teaches you one skill.
    This is a massive no-no with game design. You shouldn't give a player a skill in a tutorial setting and then promptly take it away upon leaving said tutorial. Add that to the pile of issues with this talent's implementation.
    SherriYokkaichiDianusiaRihoshi
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,615
    I know a good portion of new people would stick to their first talent.
    I know I did, I went with Puppetry and I will admit I had trouble affording it and all.
    It's just sad you assume what new people think when they first join a game, especially big as Mabinogi.
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    edited January 4, 2018
    You guys keep beating the dead horse here at this point.
  • BuffalosBuffalos
    Greta wrote: »
    You guys keep beating the dead horse here at this point.
    Honestly gonna agree with ya and fold out. There's no use arguing with someone without a conscious about ethical advice in a game. Not when the defenses remain the same when the counters change.

ShouKDianusiaRihoshi
  • DianusiaDianusia
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,555
    Hardmuscle wrote: »
    because it's available as a Starter Talent in the first tab with a difficulty rating of 2.5 stars (out of 5)
    That's the point. It should be EASIER, because it is in "beginner" tab with a 2.5 difficulty rating, while in reality it's full of sorrow and pain for someone who starts his journey in Erinn. Trust me, as a beginner myself.
    RihoshiBuffalosYangKoete
  • DianusiaDianusia
    edited January 4, 2018
    difficulty of obtaining 3 skills is not much different than the difficulty of gathering pages for AR, or Ice Spear, or Thunder.
    Do I have to remind you that archery and magic are not listed as beginner talents? So why same thing cannot happen to chain slash? I chose archery knowing I will have it a bit harder than it goes with close combat. I would take chain slash if I had such option tho, because I will think it is EASIER than archery to start off. Really.

EDIT: also, if Dorcha Crystal were so easy to get, they wouldn't cost MILIONS. As I mentioned:
    Dianusia wrote: »
    So we were like, well, if it is not possible to obtain them normally, we should buy them, right?
    But if this is a beginner talent, why new skill elements go for freaking MILIONS? Come on, Arrow Revolver and Fireball TOGETHER costs less than ONE dorcha crystal.

RihoshiGreta
  • DianusiaDianusia
    edited January 4, 2018
    You chose Archery from the Second Tab on your first rebirth? You actually clicked on it ( hey @Buffalos are you reading this > ? ).. ? If you can click on the Second Tab and choose Archery or Magic .. what's stopping anyone else from doing the same thing and choosing Chain Slash from the Second Tab.. ? (You can switch to Chain Slash talent for free on any rebirth; if you didn't know). :smirk:

If they took it off the first tab .. like this thread is crying about ... ~ what stops someone from clicking the second tab? :smirk:
    As I clicked on the Second Tab and I chose archery just because I always tend to play as archer in every single game and I didn't feel like having to start off with beginner talent. BUT if I wanted to choose something to start off easily, I would chose one of beginner talents, because this is what they are about. BEING EASY for beginner.
  • DianusiaDianusia
    @Hardmuscle Frankly speaking, I would think you were born last night. Really, we are talking about not recommending chain slash from beginner tab. This is what this thread is all about. I chose second tab because I was looking for archery already. If I wanted to try something easier than archery, I would go with chain slash in beginner tab, and I would be slightly disappointed with how hard it is to get skills from Chain Slash. If I wanted to get a weapon I can use without skills at all, I would go for sword (close combat).
    Rihoshi
  • DianusiaDianusia
    @Hardmuscle, dear, it is not about being forced to use chain slash skills, but it looks clearly like recommendation for new players to try this BEFORE moving on to other talent. It is ALL about recommendation and this proves you don't really understand the discussion in this thread. This is why I wonder if I really am the one that don't know much of what I am talking about - at least I am not saying same thing over and over again, ignoring everyone else.
  • BuffalosBuffalos
    edited January 4, 2018
    It's not that I don't have a conscious; it's that we're talking about the difference between one tab and the other. Two tabs among four in the same window. You're assuming new players will choose Chain Slash (over Fighter or Close Combat) because it's available as a Starter Talent in the first tab with a difficulty rating of 2.5 stars (out of 5). I'm not the one assuming anything here. You and your pals in this thread are doing all of the assuming. Assuming a new player will not click the second tab and research their options is in fact questioning their intelligence. ~ You can twist and turn and weasel in whatever direction you want; those are the facts.
    The point of the beginner tab is to give suggestions for starter choices, not to advertise a brand new talent (with the NEW tag included). Your're right that newbies can pick whatever freaking tab they want, but the point of the 1st is to give a gentle little nudge into a more friendly skillset that isn't this one. The skillset's power isn't a fair trade for the blatant disrespect of showing skills in a tutorial that no newbie can learn. Bacharm Boost doesn't excuse immense repair costs for the weapon or even close to negate potion costs like you claim.
    Your lack of empathy on this is frankly appalling.
    That's the point. It should be EASIER, because it is in "beginner" tab with a 2.5 difficulty rating, while in reality it's full of sorrow and pain for someone who starts his journey in Erinn. Trust me, as a beginner myself.
    THIS is what the beginner tab is for. Something that introduces combat in a slow and controlled pace and not "okay you need to micromanage your target spacing, resource usage, and pray you don't get double aggro'd because you didn't micromanage resources."
    You chose Archery from the Second Tab on your first rebirth? You actually clicked on it ( hey Buffalos are you reading this > ? ).. ? If you can click on the Second Tab and choose Archery or Magic .. what's stopping anyone else from doing the same thing and choosing Chain Slash from the Second Tab.. ?
    Go read the very first paragraph of text by me in this post you dimwit. Seriously just read it again until that sinks into your thick skull.
    Seriously, I guess there is no point in talking with you, because you are the only person using same arguments over and over again, so I guess I will pass, following Buffalos.
    Ohh I did say that I'd stop didn't I. Opps.
    DianusiaGretaYangKoete
  • SebastianSebastian
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,870
    Instead of having this debate and trying to make me look like the assuming what everyone wants; you should be asking them to remove the Second Tab.

You're insinuating that we should ask for the second tab to be removed because literally any newbie can click talents there?
    If you can click on the Second Tab and choose Archery or Magic .. what's stopping anyone else from doing the same thing and choosing Chain Slash from the Second Tab.. ? (You can switch to Chain Slash talent for free on any rebirth; if you didn't know). :smirk:

Yes, they can! Congratulations, you made an observation irrelevant to the problem. It's the idea that Chain was improperly given the "Beginner" talent placement (It's a similar argument to how people wanted "New" removed off of Alexina).
    I didn't lose anything. No matter how many trolls make posts about me (as opposed to posts about the topic).
    This is golden coming from you :trollface:
  • ApollodorusApollodorus
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,865
    @Sebastian ~ The thought of floating in a gondola makes me nauseous. :flushed:
    Buffalos wrote: »
    It wouldn't exist because there wouldn't be a mislabeled beginner talent if there are no beginner talents at all.
    You're assuming (sigh lol), assuming it's mislabeled because 3 out of 13 skills are rough to get. Is there really something bad about having something to work for later? Does not having those 3 skills immediately; somehow break Chain Slash builds? (lmao @ builds in Mabi).

Here are the skills I've obtained up to a cumulative level of 45 .. on the brand new noob I made 2 weeks ago and barely played (life, combat, magic, and chain). The Firebolt was picked up for free via fishing at Port Cobh. Is it really so bad that a user might quit? Seriously? ~ Nope.

You are missing the point in it's entirety, the problem here isn't what people have access to but rather what impression is being given by labeling something as a beginner talent. The other two talents in that field are there because they are both easy to learn, and close combat tends to be foundational for the combat system in Mabi with most other systems mirroring it to some degree. If you can master it then wrapping your head around other talents becomes considerably easier, especially because Mabi takes a difficult to learn easy to master approach to combat. Fighter on the other hand is probably the easiest talent to use in the game thanks to its combo system. Both allow for the player to get a better understanding of the core without throwing too much on top for new players to worry about. Because the beginner tab gives the implicit impression that this talent will also be both easy to learn and complete it is counterintuitive to the purpose of the beginner tab, and with skills locked off behind high level quests and with it being a hybrid talent even if the talent has some immediate short term gains it is not something new players should bother investing time and ap in at the get go.

Chain Slash on the other hand is arguably the most complex system in Mabi right now, which isn't saying a whole lot I'll admit but it does throw an extra layer of micromanaging on to the combat system. This leads us to your first fallacy, assuming that a new character is the same as a new player. Presumably you have some knowledge of the mechanics and systems of the game and have to learn little to nothing, and thus will be able to play a character at a much higher efficiency compared to a newer player. Therefore your vaunted experiment doesn't really amount to anything conclusive or insightful. More useful data would require feedback from several newer players in order to establish a learning curve over the course of their first thousand levels or so.

Your second fallacy is the assumption that new players will act optimally and simply pick up another talent. Talents are more like a declaration of what the player chooses to work on, and while by no means binding Nexon is (as I said before) giving the implicit impression that this is something newer players should be working on. Also keep in mind that newer players are ignorant to the game in every way except that which they've discovered, and may end up experiencing undue frustration because they didn't know better. In addition to their ability to change tactics one must also measure their willingness to do so and their lack of knowledge in other areas, because remember this chain slash was advertised as being an easy talent that they could adeptly learn. While this may not every new player quite it might very well ruin a number of their gaming sessions until they wise up or finally grow frustrated enough to give up on the talent.

Now you might be saying well what's the big deal, but that is the entire irony of your argument. The only thing that eclipses the negligibility of this thread's proposal is the senselessness of the decision, there is literally nothing to be gained from having the talent displayed prominently in the beginner tab. It should be moved solely because it is out of place, and for all your arguing over the presumed pointlessness of the OP and the supporters of this thread you've failed to once provide a reason that it should stay or benefit for this placement. You are the one who is making much to do about nothing, since you are resisting a proposal to correct misinformation to new players solely because a work around exists and never once bothering to provide any merit to your point. Instead you only try to poke holes in other people's arguments.
    DianusiaSebastianBuffalosYokkaichiGretaYangKoeteChakylinSindryth
  • YokkaichiYokkaichi
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,145
    Just something else to point out, Ninja was once a part of the beginner tab as well, and it too was also suggested to be removed due to it being a hybrid talent, which is something a newbie would have no idea about. Considering the questline to gain the Ninja skills is far easier than the Chain Slash questline, as well as giving you all the Ninja skills available once you finish the quests, I find it baffling how you're still defending Chain Slash as a beginner talent.
    GretaYangKoete
  • RihoshiRihoshi
    Mabinogi Rep: 200
    After I finished reading that thread I got a feeling that @Hardmuscle instead of trying to help he is more concern about showing how amazing and skilled he is forgetting he is not a begginer.
  • RihoshiRihoshi
    Mabinogi Rep: 200
    After I finished reading that thread I got a feeling that @Hardmuscle instead of trying to help he is more concern about showing how awesome and skilled he is compared to begginers(?)
This discussion has been closed.