Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!
Closed

Why do people constantly insist that mabi is dying

Comments

• watercat0watercat0
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,855
    edited January 8, 2018
    Hardmuscle wrote: »
    TNinja wrote: »
    @TNinja ~ Yes. Korea has bots. They also have laws on the books to prosecute gold farmers (unlike the USA).

Hm, but you mentioned that one of the reasons our NEXON wastes too much money is because the bots costs them money.

It doesn't look related at this rate.
    Anything that takes your money or prevents you from earning money; costs you money.

How much money does Nexon spend per year on DDoS mitigation, and why?

How much uptime (vs downtime) have we had as a result of said mitigation?

How much money is lost (not being spent) when the servers are being attacked?

Why did we upgrade and relocate the servers in 2012? How about the NPC servers?

Do you remember? ~ Trivia: Was it because of latency, population, or hackers?

Do you think we gained or lost from the black robe incidents?

How about the hundreds of players who were locked out as a result?

How much money would they have spent had they not been locked out?

How long was the average affected player locked out (the answer is greater than 1 year)?

How many accounts were stolen by gold farmers during a purchase or visit to their site?

Why do we have a spending limit for Credit Cards?

Do you think fraud has anything to do with it?

Who loses to Credit Card fraud; the buyer or the seller? Both can be (or are) the loser, but in this scenario it's usually the seller who loses out because they have to refund money for a product already consumed. ~ This is why people get banned over credit card purchases.

Why was the Maple Trading System closed down? ** ~ How many Arrows (1000) did you end up buying?

** It seems unrelated until we count the money stolen (real cash money), and from where it was stolen.

Why did Nexon drop their name from (stop hosting) Dungeon Fighter, Dragon Nest, and Atlantica? ~

They all had huge populations...... of bots, hackers, and dedicated players.
    You can sit there and pretend there's no causality, ..but that's all you'd be doing.

I can answer some questions by just looking into how the website is built. Look at this picture

https://imgur.com/a/47bNE

https://imgur.com/a/bVYmZ

1) I say zero money is being spent on DDoS mitigation for reasons unknown to us.

2) It doesn't cost money when you are attacked, the whole idea of a protected website/game is to stop it.

3) I think the 2012 server location is something of a downgrade rather than an upgrade. Another theory is how Microsoft Windows 10 is so awful that Nexon is trying to fix it.

4) The spending limit might be Nexon answer to help customers who might have their credit stolen. CloudFlare is the only protection they have, I won't show a picture because I don't want people to see my info when I try to use credit. Use the app I showed you and you see what I mean.

5) Yes it is a mystery why Nexon is being so cheap with NA, it may not be long until there is no NA Nexon or another report of people credit card stolen.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    Kouyioue wrote: »
    pexels-photo.jpg

Is it raining?

It's pouring. kek.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    My connection to this site is still not secure.
  • watercat0watercat0
    @Gaea ~ Your connection will never be secure on this page (the forum), because it's not an https page.

http://forums.mabinogi.nexon.net

https://forums.mabinogi.nexon.net

If you don't load the scripts blocked by Google.. the main pages remain secure (I thought I told you that).

Maybe Google is right and it is insecure, they never got hacked, you don't see news sites saying "google.com got hacked".
  • watercat0watercat0
    @watercat0 ~ They are right (sort of) ... but only when the scripts are loaded. ~ I doubt it's anything major.
    hgf9ttd.jpg

it says from unauthorized sources, something that is not official or confirmed to be safe.
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,660
    edited January 8, 2018
    Why was the Maple Trading System closed down? ** ~ How many Arrows (1000) did you end up buying?

** It seems unrelated until we count the money stolen (real cash money), and from where it was stolen.

Why did Nexon drop their name from (stop hosting) Dungeon Fighter, Dragon Nest, and Atlantica? ~

They all had huge populations...... of bots, hackers, and dedicated players.
    You can sit there and pretend there's no causality, ..but that's all you'd be doing.

Maplestory Trade System Shutdown- Due to abusive nature/community behavior
    Nexon No Longer Hosting DFO- Funding
    Dragon Nest- Eyedentity wanted to handle it themselves
    Atlantica- Nexon NA was a middle man for a struggling company/temporary house until the funds went back up
    Random DDoS Attacks- Illegal attempts by outside groups to interfere with online business (Unfortunately, not uncommon in this modern age.)
    Black Robe Incidents- Turned out to be just a bug that was fixed later.

Relation to Illegal Gold Bots: Temporary annoyance in an already struggling NA branch, playing the catch up to KR game.

Oh, also for this:
    "How many accounts were stolen by gold farmers during a purchase or visit to their site?"
    Purchasing gold from gold bots/farmers is an illegal purchase, so people who do such things take their account's future in their own hands.
    IE- Nexon's ToS and clause of reliability:
    2.5 Account Security.
    You are responsible for the confidentiality and use of your account information and agree not to transfer your right to use or access the Service via sharing your username or password to any third person. If you have reason to believe that your account is no longer secure, you should promptly change your password and notify us of the problem by submitting a ticket to our Customer Support department. YOU ARE ENTIRELY RESPONSIBLE FOR MAINTAINING THE CONFIDENTIALITY OF YOUR USERNAME AND PASSWORD AND FOR ANY AND ALL ACTIVITIES (INCLUDING PURCHASES AND CHARGES, AS APPLICABLE) THAT ARE CONDUCTED THROUGH YOUR ACCOUNT.

2.7 NX, Purchase of Virtual Items and Account Balances.
    While using the Service, you may have the opportunity to visit online and in-game “stores” where you can obtain and use Nexon’s virtual currency, known as NX, and digital, in-game items. Anything obtained in our stores is not purchased by you, but rather is licensed to you under the terms of this ToS and the applicable agreements. NX has no "real world" value, but may be exchanged for in-game items. You acknowledge that the NX acquired through the Service is not real currency or any type of financial instrument and is not redeemable for any sum of money from us at any time. REGARDLESS OF THE CONSIDERATION OFFERED OR PAID IN EXCHANGE FOR VIRTUAL CURRENCY, YOU DO NOT HAVE ANY OWNERSHIP RIGHTS IN THE ITEMS OBTAINED WITH VIRTUAL CURRENCY.

All purchases of NX and/or virtual items in our stores are subject to our Terms of Sale policy. All purchases made through third party distribution platforms (e.g., purchases made on Steam) are subject to that third party platform’s terms and conditions.

We have no obligation or responsibility to and will not reimburse you for any item or any NX lost due to your violations of this ToS or any other applicable agreement.

• CrimsọnCrimsọn
    edited January 8, 2018
    I am not saying I condone this, but buying gold does not compromise your account. The risk you run is unfulfilled orders and potential credit or debit card compromises - which is way worse. But it could compromise your nexon account if the suspicious activity is detected i.e getting yourself banned by buying gold.
  • NekoLilyNekoLily
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,335
    I'm not one of those "the game is dying", but as the game is still being the same from back when it was released (talking about graphics and such), I think we will soon see the birth of a new game with what we love (loved) about Mabinogi and that would mean the end of the NA server. Mabinogi will still be played in Asia but not anywhere near us.

That's my idea - counting that we probably won't get a graphic upgrade as WoW.

As for the rest, I don't see it DYING, but with a future sentence of death (?), so still lively as a retired person that travels the world

Oh, about the "Mabinogi on Steam" bla bla story
    xzl52UK.png

• TheOthicTheOthic
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,525
    edited January 9, 2018
    Some people still don't understand that mabi isn't what it used to be nor that times have changed within Mabi,Nexon and the gaming industry at large. Very few mmorpgs still survive on the old f2p model or come very close to it i.e war frame or whatever. Those kind of titles are few and between and sadly mabi isn't one of them and probably cant be with how the game would be a liability in NA if they decided to break away from its current Model.
    @Darkpixie99 technical stand point? don't make me laugh this is subjective on how it would be dying.. If I had to go with any opinions on this probably @Hazurah and @Tayloreski.

@qaccy @Darkpixie99 @Liyeta @CapnRecon its obvious this game cant be as profitable as it used be in NA. times have changed, im not saying I like these changes but you have to face reality. Also don't go and tell me oh look but these other games can do it so we should we be getting it, just because someone else can do it doesn't mean it will happen the world isn't that magical that in it self is a terrible logical reasoning. @Hardmuscle has been trying to point out to you people it boils down to money, anyways you 4 should either leave your nostalgia out the door and enjoy the game or find another game :smirk: but that's just my opinion.
    [Deleted User]
  • OdinwolfeOdinwolfe
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,900
    When dunbarton AND belvast aren't filled to the brim with shops, where it overflows to the secondary channel,

When there aren't people killing eachother in EvG all day long,

When there are no X item on the housing board,

When only one guild bids on a castle,

When Primary Market channel almost never becomes truly Full,

When a new event comes out and you have no trouble talking to an NPC because a lack of crowds (think black dragon event with the human NPC in Rano)

When over half your FULL friends list is permanently Red,

You know Mabi is a shadow of its former self.
    [Deleted User]CrimsọnpawcalypseJulieZarozianUnisexSherriHazurah
  • BuffalosBuffalos
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,795
    Odinwolfe wrote: »
    When there aren't people killing eachother in EvG all day long
    Why is this a problem?
    Get what you're saying though: population's gone down a bit and a lot of the older crowd moved on. Of the crew I started with, I'm probably the last one who still logs on.
    [Deleted User]Julie
  • TNinjaTNinja
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,265
    Can't we blame it on Lawbreaker? The BILLION DOLLAR FRANCHISE published by NEXON.

:v
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,660
    edited January 9, 2018

If you don't believe the exploitation part, just check out how old the system was on Maple Wiki.
    Usually when a large system like that is shut down, it indicates that even legitimate players were abusing it in various ways as well, or that it became obsolete and no longer desirable in the company's eyes. (Marketplace portals and physical IG shops taking up server space, rather than a massive UI.)

A temporary server closure usually indicates a larger than estimated attack that Nexon could have handled at that time, but may have not been prepared for.
    (Although it's usually just a preventive measure to keep player information safe, and intel about the attackers contained.)

Those articles are from when Mabi was fairly new, so naturally hackers would be more adept and persistent in those times of high server population.
    I seem to recall people saying that Hackshield was easy to breach back in the day, before Mabi could build something of it's own.
    That weak security was also why Maplestory was always getting hacked as well.
    (At least at the time, Nexon's cyber security measures were pathetically weak with partners they trusted, although those partners had poor reviews with weak and outdated software.)

The gold bots aren't the main issue here, Nexon NA's marketing team, past lack of experience or knowledge, and continuous lack of a development team are.
    Including KR's Micromanagement and the team that started that old mess. (From not wanting to create something that they could confirm would work in the first place.)
    Blaming a company's (KR/NA) self made mistakes that put player funding on stagnation and caused the community to drop out, on Gold Bots isn't going to work here.
    Nexon NA is a company with employees that have limited ability to change the code, and there will always be hackers or exploiters trying to undermine their business.
    In normal cases, the company in charge is innovative and capable enough to develop new Cash Shop systems or patch in defensive revisions, to adapt to the modern views and trends to keep the gold bots from "stealing from them," but in fact Nexon NA did none of those.
    The proof of Nexon NA's past performance is in the pudding, a gooping pile of hardening pudding that was in need of a new lid and sprinkles. The lid was added, but the pudding just still looks bland, stale even.
    Unfortunately, there's just no getting rid of gold bots anywhere you go. It's a fact of MMOGs.
    tenor.gif
    Complaining about any bots on the forums will only make things look worse than they actually appear... which gives me an idea.
    If our GMs can make a button to make us dance, why not make a button/skill that causes a botter/spammer to dance until they lose all their HP?
    It's deadly and satisfying for everyone to watch! :D At least... it's just a temporary idea to make a constant issue seem less annoying. :|

TheOthic wrote: »
    its obvious this game cant be as profitable as it used be in NA. times have changed, im not saying I like these changes but you have to face reality.
    It hasn't been profitable as I explained above, Nexon NA was understaffed, with outdated security, people got hacked, and there was no time for any change or improvements until the recent years...which have done nothing but play catch up with Korea and fix what Ferghus broke.
    If anything, Nexon NA lost more money than KR due to KR's management style, and how behind the times the staff was.
    Right now we've got some GMs on Twitch every now and then, so they're at least trying to be cool. (Or modern, whatever.)
    Issue number one, the of lack of staff engagement is more or less getting fixed, or slightly repaired compared to the past few years of nothing of note.
    Issue number two, is finding another NA CM. So far we've only seen a handful of NA suggestions make it to KR, but hopefully that trend will continue to rise and our Mabinogi pudding will no longer be so stale. (Save Face/Hair, Homestead House Interior Decor)
  • ApollodorusApollodorus
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,865
    It's actually pretty expected that this game's population would shrink even without all of the problems people bring up. This is an old game with outdated graphics and systems appealing to a niche audience in the west. Old players are naturally going to move on and new players have newer, shinier, and more polished games to draw them in. This game appeals hardcore to completionist who, once they've finished their grind or gotten tired of it, have nothing left for them in this game and they get bored. So while various other factors might have affected Mabi's dwindling population gacha/reforges/events/whatever are not really the actual cause, at least as far as I can tell. Now I could be wrong, but I've seen nothing to suggest that Nexon NA is on the verge of shutting down the servers or that the community is so sparse that it will be unable to support Mabi for the foreseeable. I kind of doubt we will make it another ten, but this game probably still has a few good years left in her.
    Darkpixie99UnisexpawcalypseMizukiHayamaSherri
  • UnisexUnisex
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,760
    Gonna be honest, I never thought mabi would live long enough that my own kid would want to play it.
    Darkpixie99GretaVeylainepawcalypseZeoSherriPolicroma
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    When dunbarton AND belvast aren't filled to the brim with shops, where it overflows to the secondary channel,

When a new event comes out and you have no trouble talking to an NPC because a lack of crowds (think black dragon event with the human NPC in Rano)

Well that sums it up pretty damn well. Rip.
  • ZarozianZarozian
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,900

Damn son....that's like so true. o -o
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    @Darkpixie99 ~ I didn't say anything about not believing an exploit existed. You're trying to convince me that bots and hackers play no role in the dwindling of this game's population and are in no way a hindrance to Nexon's profit. ~ Please put down the crack pipe.

Rip. XD
    [Deleted User]
  • OpalthiraOpalthira
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,595
    Since the chain blade update there have been time where the game literally tells me im not allowed to enter ch1.
    Also for the past like three weeks I can rarely finding any shop spaces that are open.

The game is totally dead.
    [Deleted User]
  • watercat0watercat0
    Opalthira wrote: »
    Since the chain blade update there have been time where the game literally tells me im not allowed to enter ch1.
    Also for the past like three weeks I can rarely finding any shop spaces that are open.

The game is totally dead.

bots dont count
    [Deleted User]
This discussion has been closed.