Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Fishing Event

Comments

• EllisyaEllisya
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,525
    edited January 19, 2018
    Hellkaizer wrote: »
    Arjune wrote: »
    someone did a test and if you manual catch everything that's a "small catch" and cancel the rest you get more glacial smelt. that person claimed to get 70+ glacial smelt yesterday

Can they provide proof of this?

It is because small catch only gives you fishes so that means it has higher chance to get smelts; either regular one or glacier. But then you have to cancel fishing while you are doing mini game (The one that's not small catch)
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    edited January 19, 2018
    Maaaaan...the drop rate of glacier smelts was crap today. >:(

40 smelts and only 18 glaciers. The hell. :|

Got a white bear hat today though. -shrugs-
  • WolfandWolfWolfandWolf
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,900
    Ellisya wrote: »
    someone did a test and if you manual catch everything that's a "small catch" and cancel the rest you get more glacial smelt. that person claimed to get 70+ glacial smelt yesterday

It is because small catch only gives you fishes so that means it has higher chance to get smelts; either regular one or glacier. But then you have to cancel fishing while you are doing mini game (The one that's not small catch)

Do you need to cancel during the mini game? Because I can cancel when I get the message and I don't use up bait. But you'd have to actually pay attention to it and keep casting the line (restart the skill) over and over again.
  • RheyRhey
    Mabinogi Rep: 10,175
    Only cuz of stackable prizes+limited bait. I'm bandwagoning the approval train.
    WolfandWolf
  • EllisyaEllisya
    Ellisya wrote: »

Do you need to cancel during the mini game? Because I can cancel when I get the message and I don't use up bait. But you'd have to actually pay attention to it and keep casting the line (restart the skill) over and over again.

if you don't waste bait even when you get the message then that's when you cancel I guess :)
  • Raincloud95Raincloud95
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,830
    Now that it is the weekend I will try manually catching only 'small catch' and see if I get more glacier smelt. I'll report back tomorrow.

(Also I have three sturgeon in my inventory now. I think I'm going to hold them hostage in a pet forever, for the pain they caused me prior to this event. Biggest one is 233 cm and need 300 cm for 5* :'( )
  • UnisexUnisex
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,760
    edited January 19, 2018
    Shadoe wrote: »
    Unisex wrote: »
    Doesnt seem to be a difference between manual and auto fishing when there's a small catch. I seem to get 50/50 on the different kinds of smelts. but it does but the fat, in terms of other fish and the Fish Traps.
    ??? What is that supposed to say?

And I don't get anywhere near 50/50 with automatic fishing. I'm getting a lot more regular smelt.

It does cut the fat.* It stops fish traps, and normal fish.
    I fixed it.

Maybe Im getting bad luck. But manual fishing still hasn't given me more glacier smelt, over normal.
    Shadoe
  • OpalthiraOpalthira
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,595
    Im just holding all my glacier smelt hostage just to see what happens. lol
    :p
  • WolfandWolfWolfandWolf
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,900
    Now that it is the weekend I will try manually catching only 'small catch' and see if I get more glacier smelt. I'll report back tomorrow.

(Also I have three sturgeon in my inventory now. I think I'm going to hold them hostage in a pet forever, for the pain they caused me prior to this event. Biggest one is 233 cm and need 300 cm for 5* :'( )

What are you trying to use the sturgeon for? :o Cooking?
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165

For the quest.
    WolfandWolf
  • IyasenuIyasenu
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,265
    Sometimes you might get a "small catch" of a lamprey whose size was on the low end of the spectrum, but yeah, if you cancel fishing at any notification that isn't "Small catch" then you'll save your bait for Glacier Smelt or regular Smelt.

I seem to find like... 40:60 ratio of glacier smelt to regular smelt.

And the rewards quest's glacier smelt requirements are additive not cumulative, right?
    So 300 glacier smelt altogether for all the prizes?
    This'd be a hard to reach goal if you were fishing without 100% success rate.

Kinda makes me wish the 10 smelt -> 30 bait quest was infinitely repeatable.
  • ArjuneArjune
    Mabinogi Rep: 16,890
    Iyasenu wrote: »

I agree... I notice a lot of events cut it close for rewards lately.... even the titles for holiday hide & seek... you had to settle for only one title for the most part and do win trades with friends to get them
  • 3rdy3rdy
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,705
    Sometimes you might get a "small catch" of a lamprey whose size was on the low end of the spectrum, but yeah, if you cancel fishing at any notification that isn't "Small catch" then you'll save your bait for Glacier Smelt or regular Smelt.

I seem to find like... 40:60 ratio of glacier smelt to regular smelt.

And the rewards quest's glacier smelt requirements are additive not cumulative, right?
    So 300 glacier smelt altogether for all the prizes?

i was only able to get 8 G-malts on the 19th ;-;

they could have easly worked in the infinite bait thing without breaking the evant.
    for example they could make it so the number of malts needed gos up every time. I.E 10 gos to 20. 20 gos to 30 etc and have the number reset every day
  • Raincloud95Raincloud95

Nah I was previously just trying to finish the fishing collection journal, and the sturgeon remained elusive for 2 - 3 years because it's rare and I have bad luck :'( for the cooking journal I just bought a sturgeon from an NPC to cook. I'm not sure why I'm deciding to keep these ones except for I'm just mad at them :D this bait must be good for them cus I've caught three with it already
    WolfandWolf
  • Raincloud95Raincloud95

I agree... I notice a lot of events cut it close for rewards lately.... even the titles for holiday hide & seek... you had to settle for only one title for the most part and do win trades with friends to get them

Yes I think it's a little ridiculous how limited the bait is. Remember back in the day when we could just buy event bait from the NPC :'( why do they have to be like this when school is running. I can AFK fish while I'm in class but I can't manual fish and cancel everything that's not a small catch. I'm still really mad about the Christmas event, I spent WAY too much time on it and I was angry the whole time lol. I have a problem with needing homestead items :D
  • BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,425
    Might as well complete my fishing journal for a 5* Sturgeon. Gosh, those are rare.
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    edited January 20, 2018
    Any ideas if Adonis set helps with getting bigger fish?
  • ShadoeShadoe
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,090
    So we don't need to do manual fishing, we just need to cancel it if it says something other than a small catch.
  • EllisyaEllisya
    edited January 20, 2018
    Greta wrote: »
    Any ideas if Adonis set helps with getting bigger fish?
    It only increases fishing success rate afaik
    Shadoe wrote: »
    So we don't need to do manual fishing, we just need to cancel it if it says something other than a small catch.
    Yes. But if we are going to get 300 before event ends anyways, we don't really have to do that unless people are trying to get 300 Glaciers for alts and just quit the event. Since they will be useless once you catch 300 glaciers total...
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    That's just too tedious to keep staring at your character for hours, just for a chance to get some more of Glacier Smelt. I afk fished for 3rd day now and i already got 69 (Hah... Good number...) Glacier Smelt.
    WolfandWolfRadiant Dawn