Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!
Closed

Trap Queen Question

CellsiusCellsius
Mabinogi Rep: 200
in Town Square
Random question. I have played this game for several years as a female char and just let everyone assume I’m a lady and made really good friends this way. Now I’m like uhhh I wish I told them I was a dude because now I feel like I can’t tell them because they wouldn’t want to be my friends because I lied and I don’t want to only be thought of as a trap. I can’t ever do anything like discord or other stuff because obvi. Not to mention it sounds creepy as I type this out.

Any thoughts? Should I tell everyone I’m a dude or never say anything and avoid it forever?

Comments

• BerylBeryl
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,750
    A friendship where you can't be honest isn't much of a friendship at all. If you feel bad about your dishonesty (by omission or otherwise) you should just tell them and take responsibility for your actions by facing the consequences.
    That being said, unless the dynamics of your interactions with them were heavily based on you being female (that is to say, if you were REALLY playing the part), I doubt it'll be that bad.
  • NegumikoNegumiko
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,775
    edited April 17, 2018
    I am a guy and have almost always played as a female character on mabi. usually just after they get added to my friends list I pm them and let them know just so things don't get weird later. but like have any of them asked you? have you flirted with any of them? if not and if most of them are understanding and are really your friends I don't see it being much of a problem unless you have directly lied to one of them in a way that could personally hurt them. your real friends will likely stick around and even if things do go bad you can always meet new friends in mabi at the most unexpected times :)
    Imaizumi
  • BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,425
    You thirsty as heck people sicken me. :/
    Greta
  • Gaby5011Gaby5011
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,965
    Was friend with someone for a while. They thought I was female IRL. Told them at some point. They were shocked. "Well, you never asked."
  • HarukariHarukari
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,470
    edited April 17, 2018
    Men playing as a female character is so common on MMORPGS.. So I don't see how anyone would be shocked at the fact.
    Personally, if someone told me they were a guy even though they are playing as a female character, I wouldn't care and would just go about my day, and still think the same of them as I used too.

People that do this to their advantage for free items though, that's scummy.
    I knew a guy who did this, and it worked all the time until people finally started catching on.
    NegumikoImaizumi
  • NegumikoNegumiko
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,775
    Harukari wrote: »
    Men playing as a female character is so common on MMORPGS.. So I don't see how anyone would be shocked at the fact.
    Personally, if someone told me they were a guy even though they are playing as a female character, I wouldn't care and would just go about my day, and still think the same of them as I used too.

People that do this to their advantage for free items though, that's scummy.
    I knew a guy who did this, and it worked all the time until people finally started catching on.

I play as a female character cause it is easier to name them and I would rather look at a cute girl character killing monsters then a boring guy character. nobody should ever use their gender as a excuse to get free stuff, guy or girl irl begging or trying to take advantage of other players somehow is just wrong. if a player asks for help usually I am more then happy to if I have the time but I ignore players that are clearly begging or just want free stuff.
  • WolfandWolfWolfandWolf
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,900
    I play equally on a male and a female char. I'm a girl in real life. Usually, my real life gender never comes up in convo, so I don't see why it should matter.

I sometimes hide on my male char when someone tries to flirt with me. One person wouldn't stop even when I said it bothered me, they just kept on going how adorable I was and how they wanted to "eat me up". My male char never gets bothered like that, so I feel kind of safe playing on them.

Most of the people I meet aren't like that though; the focus is usually on the game and not on flirting, it's just a few instances where I purposely went onto a different gender char. I don't want to flirt, I don't understand why people use their gender to get free stuff (does that actually happen?) I just want to play the game.

So unless you flirt with people, I don't think it's an issue. If people are flirting with you, I think you should upfront tell them so that the situation doesn't turn weird later.
    SunfallSkyImaizumi
    edited April 17, 2018
    I just pretend everyone is a female. To me, the prospect of a romantic relationship is the grand prize, and each person a gachapon, and the cost a broken heart. It is fun to gamble!

I get many people talking to me for no reason. I do not assume on an individual level, but I know I am an attractive sounding individual online, with a sexy as heck Elf that brings all the guys to Mabinogi. I know some of you are talking to me because you all believe I am sultry, sensual female. I KNOW! MY THIRST RADAR IS BEEPING!

Such a bother though.
  • ZarozianZarozian
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,900
    edited April 17, 2018
    Cellsius wrote: »
    Random question. I have played this game for several years as a female char and just let everyone assume I’m a lady and made really good friends this way. Now I’m like uhhh I wish I told them I was a dude because now I feel like I can’t tell them because they wouldn’t want to be my friends because I lied and I don’t want to only be thought of as a trap. I can’t ever do anything like discord or other stuff because obvi. Not to mention it sounds creepy as I type this out.

Any thoughts? Should I tell everyone I’m a dude or never say anything and avoid it forever?

My comrade. I will now begin the ultimate story of the true King of Traps!

How everyone still loves him and even straight males feel extremely conflicted but still willingly accepted him as a true bro after finding out he is a dude....

Ladies and gentlemen! I give you Astolfo! >;O

Everyone loves him. = w=

In short if you're a great person, people will love you no matter what, male or female! OHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOO! >;D
    CellsiusSherri
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805

This. It's so common that people usually assume that i'm a dude, even though i'm with a female character and have a girly name, they still come up to me and say "sup dude" or "thanks man". Lmao. It's so funny when people think i'm a dude, most of times i don't even say anything about it and just giggle when people think i'm a dude. xD It keeps up until i literally don't say that i'm a girl and some of them are like "wait??? U are a girl???". :D
    Greta wrote: »

This. It's so common that people usually assume that i'm a dude, even though i'm with a female character and have a girly name, they still come up to me and say "sup dude" or "thanks man". Lmao. It's so funny when people think i'm a dude, most of times i don't even say anything about it and just giggle when people think i'm a dude. xD It keeps up until i literally don't say that i'm a girl and some of them are like "wait??? U are a girl???". :D

I assumed you were a male too at one point. I mean, I am a male, I play female, and I have a "chick name", as they say. Bliss. Bliss Bliss Bliss.
  • THICCthighssavelivesTHICCthighssavelives
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,855
    they just kept on going how adorable I was and how they wanted to "eat me up".
    If it makes you feel any better, they found your character cute, not you irl.

• lethalviruslethalvirus
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,720
    I knew it ! I got catfished I want divorce
    DANIarts
  • EraleaEralea
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,890
    I have a friend who was in your situation a while ago and I know he feels awkward talking to us now, but I don't think he should feel so bad about it. I just want to play with him again like before. He keeps disappearing and the rest of us miss him.

It's not like traps are so unusual anyway. Most people seem to assume I'm male regardless of whether I'm playing a female or male character.

... To be fair, I don't bother correcting them unless they ask. It's caused a few funny surprises. Apparently I type in a blunt and brutal manner and not "like a girl".
    Cellsius
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    It's really amusing when people talk about me and say "he". Better just say "they" or something before trying to assume genders lmao.
This discussion has been closed.