Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Auction System Minimum Bid Potential Abuse

Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
Mabinogi Rep: 8,660
edited April 21, 2018 in Feedback and Suggestions
In the Auction House System, if you set 1,000,000 as the minimum bid, you cannot cancel the bidding process if a player places that minimum bid.
This means that items may sell for the base minimum bid, instead of encouraging an active auction system.
This can be both abused on purpose, or on accident. It's rather unfair for the Auction House to work this way.
I also believe that several players are already aware of this fact, and do not actively engage in the auction method by raising the price, but instead abuse the minimum bid for their own benefit.

Example of my own listing

Comments

• THICCthighssavelivesTHICCthighssavelives
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,855
    How is that abuse, and how is it unfair? If you don't want your item to sell for 1m, then don't put that as the minimum bid.
    GretaGremmMizukiHayamaVeylaineBlissfulkillMaiaWolfandWolfOdinwolfeCrimsọnAnizla
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    How is that abuse, and how is it unfair? If you don't want your item to sell for 1m, then don't put that as the minimum bid.

It's abuse because that's not how auction systems are intended to work.
    Players are meant to place bids on items, not place a single minimum price and wait for the time to run out.
    For example, other games would require you to raise the price at specific intervals first, preventing this minimum bid fiasco.
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805

^ This.
  • BronzebreakBronzebreak
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,940
    I do not mean to be a jerk about things, but you seem to have described the terms of 'minimum', 'bid', and 'auction' correctly, yet seem to think that how they work is not how they are supposed to work?

Like are we the people missing something or have you never been to an auction IRL?
    If no one else bids then the highest bid( in this case, also the first) wins. That is like saying 'yeah I auctioned off a niche item and made the lowest possible price of attainment low, and then that lowest price won because nobody else was interested!'
    GremmMizukiHayamaVeylaineFluoretteOdinwolfe
  • GremmGremm
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,840
    edited April 22, 2018
    So you want the auctioneer to be able to "abuse" the system by canceling the auction at the last minute just because they didn't get a good enough bid? Sorry but i vote against your idea in that case, if i bet on something at a reasonable price then i want to be able to win it without it getting snatched away because the auctioneer didnt like the minimum bid they placed themselves. :/
    Its to prevent the abuse you mentioned that the auction works the way it does, you can only blame yourself if the minimum bid is lower than you want it to be.

There is also the option to just sell the item with just a buyout price and no bids, that way the seller and buyer can get a nice and clean sale immediately. I personally think its a good system they have running since its so simple yet effective.

And as @Bronzebreak above mentioned, that's how an auction works, people bid on the items and the last bidder wins (or the first one if no one else bids on the item.)
    The auction option is new in Mabinogi and not a lot of people have managed to learn how it works, and if no one is interested then they won't bid on the items either. That's just how it works in the real world as well, sometimes you get lucky and sell the items for a great price, but other times people aren't interested and you get no bid at all. (or just 1 like in your case here)
    MizukiHayamaGretaVeylaineFluoretteYoridenYokkaichiBronzebreakWolfandWolf
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    edited April 22, 2018

Because placing the minimum bid and waiting for time to run out makes this a general purchase, not an active auction process.
    Henceforth, this system is bugged and not working properly.
    Any other game prevents players to cancel an Auction once the price is above the minimum bid, so this shouldn't be a problem to add in to prevent minimum bid abuse.
  • GretaGreta
    edited April 22, 2018
    Oh my god... Just set everything to 9.9 billion and then be happy that no one is going to minimum bid at your items. Jesus Christ.... rofl.
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    Greta wrote: »
    Oh my god... Just set everything to 9.9 billion and then be happy that no one is going to minimum bid at your items. Jesus Christ.... rofl.

See, now that defeats the purpose of having an auction system. If you place a value like that, then it's no better than the housing system.
  • BronzebreakBronzebreak
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,940
    wat.jpg
  • GretaGreta
    Greta wrote: »

See, now that defeats the purpose of having an auction system. If you place a value like that, then it's no better than the housing system.

That was a joke, but sure. :D
  • WolfandWolfWolfandWolf
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,900
    edited April 23, 2018
    I don't understand why this is a problem. As others have said, this is exactly how real auctions work. If only one person is interested, then only one person is interested.

Is it that you're upset that the time of the auction is little more than a day and a half *(if you don't have housing)? And that you feel this does not give you enough time to generate interest? If so, then selling by regular party or personal shop (and taking offers in both) would allow you to let the offer period to go as long as you want. Or, if you get housing, I think you can get a full two days of auctioning power. Otherwise simply put the lowest price that you will be happy with for the minimum bid when using the Auction House. The seller has complete control over what the min. price is.
    MizukiHayama
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    edited April 24, 2018

Dude, my listing was up there for 36 hours, for a span of an entire week with only a single bid. (At minimum, I might add.)
    As a matter of fact, I honestly don't think an auction should be considered active if there's only one player on the server bidding on it.
    It just removes the entire function of having an auction system, and turns it into:
    "Oh, I'll just sit here until the time runs out to place the minimum bid and win it automatically, because I can."
    That's system abuse, not being an active auctioneer.

• GretaGreta

That's system abuse, not being an active auctioneer.

Or server is just dead.
  • FluoretteFluorette
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,840
    I'm looking at the Auction House announcement and I don't see anywhere in it promising an "active" auction. Where is this idea of the Auction system being active coming from? If you're basing it from others games you play, I imagine that is an extra feature they decided to add for those games. With that said I have to agree with Bronzebreak and Gremm here.
  • ZuomoZuomo
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,015
    I mean, that's usually how it goes. Can't just be mad cuz nobody else bid. lol. If you wanted it to sell for more shoulda just sold it.

In the end an auction system i usually where someone will place a bid on a item and that bid will win, if it just so happens that no one else bids and whoever bids the starting gets it, then its completely fair.

If you don't like auctions don't use them... Its self-explanatory. It's a risky endeavor which can leave you at little to no profit, or make you more profit.
  • NegumikoNegumiko
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,775
    as a former player of the Spiral Knights mmo that used a auction system to do most trades as the game did not have personal shops like mabi does there has never been a option to end one of your auctions early to take down the item just cause your not satisfied with the way it is going. pick a good minimum bid that will make you decent profit and don't expect to get much more then that for everything you sell. there have been many times I have had to sell a item at the minimum bid I picked and yes it does suck a bit as you often hope to get more but that is just how business goes sometimes. if you don't like it then stick to personal shops but you shouldn't have the right to remove your item even if you only have 1 bidder bidding the lowest amount just cause not many players are bidding. that is unfair to the bidder expecting a chance to win.
  • GremmGremm
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,840
    edited April 27, 2018
    You've been complaining a lot that only one bidder was interested in your items Darkpixie99 but that is not because of the system, we have explained to you over and over again that this is how auctions works no matter where you are, its not bugged and its not unfair when someone got lucky enough to buy your item at the first bid.

It's not like there are hundreds of players waiting for just you and your item to starts a bidding war for said item, many players aren't interested in the auction and even less are interested in your items. It doesn't matter if the item you got is rare or incredible valuable, if there are no demands for it then of course no one will try to buy or bid for it.
    You got lucky and got one bidder, one person showing some interest for the item you offered and your next move is to complain in the forum since you thought that having just one interested person was unfair.

We have already told you that there is no fault in neither the bidder nor the system and we have taken our time to both explain it to you and given you advice and examples of real auctions in the real life, it doesn't always work like in the movies where you could get rich in just one night. Sometimes you're just unlucky and won't get the item sold, that's normal.

So either stop auction your items or put up a minimum bid that you want to sell it for and hope that someone gets interested in your item again, if youre lucky some other people might raise the bid for you but that is entirely up to luck, its not like we know when someone puts up a rare or good item to begin with so luck is a big factor in the Auction house my friend.
    SorrowwolfeBronzebreakBlissfulkill
  • OdinwolfeOdinwolfe
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,900
    I auctioned off an item I wanted to sell for 7m, but no one bid on it.

I then put minimum bid to 5m, and buyout to 10m.

2 days later of keeping this trend, it hit the buyout of 10m.

5m was the LOWEST I'd ever go for it, and It would be silly to go lower as the minimum bid.
    SorrowwolfeMizukiHayamaBronzebreak
  • THICCthighssavelivesTHICCthighssavelives
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,855
    Also, advertising helps a lot. I've seen party ads directing people to the auction house lately. Might help in your future auctions, OP.
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    edited April 27, 2018
    Gremm wrote: »
    You've been complaining a lot that only one bidder was interested in your items

We have already told you that there is no fault in neither the bidder nor the system
    As I've stated before, this is supposed to be an Auction House, where bids take place.
    If only a single bidder places the minumum bid, then the Auction is no longer an Auction, but classified as a general purchase.
    This changes the function of the Auction system entirely, and no longer brings forth any proper execution for players to see a reason to up the bid to win the item.
    Instead, they'll lazily place a minimum bid, and wait three days for time to run out.
    This has happened on not one, but several of my auctioned items.