Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Working, but not loading Nexon Launcher

MusicatMusicat
Mabinogi Rep: 2,320
edited May 5, 2018 in Technical Support
Since I've accumulated some decent volume of data on the issue I'm experiencing, I've decided to make a new thread to sum it all up separately and maybe hasten the solution.

Shortly, when I open Nexon Launcher, it loads itself, but it doesn't load its contents and account data.
The thing looks like this
rDJXJWxMiZQ.jpg
The top right buttons (Minimize, Maximize, Close Window) are working. The icon in the system tray is also functional, but the only working button is Exit.
When I open the Launcher, a spinning circle (loading indicator) appears in the middle of the window as if telling us that the contents are loading and then disappears as if the loading is finished, but nothing else shows up.
The issue occurs on two very different computers running on different OSs.
I started experiencing it a couple of weeks ago or so.

Typical reinstallation didn't give any positive results.
Waiting for a long time for it to finally load something didn't help as well.
There were no trackable changes in the OS, firewall or permission preferences on the first computer since the Launcher last worked properly.
Tried to run Mabinogi directly from the folder it's in (worked for Ghost in the Shell sometimes), it asked for the same permissions as usual and started loading, but nothing happened after.
I also found out that my windows task manager shows that there are 4 Nexon Launcher client sub-processes taking place inside the main Nexon Launcher client process, all draining different memory resource volumes (so that means they're active and are not the same).They disappear in pairs when I close every second process respectively (attempting to close every first one doesn't have any effect).
Checking and switching the permission and compatibility settings didn't give any new results too. Nothing that would stop the Launcher from working was found.
Installing the Launcher into another directory doesn't help. I tried pushing the Launcher right into C:/Nexon, where my Nexon games library is located.

I wish the problem could be solved or at least I hope to receive some advice on what I probably missed or what to do, because I like the game very much and want to return to playing it.
To stop some advisors at once, I'm not going to run it through Steam.

Comments

• MusicatMusicat
    edited May 5, 2018
    Now, a list of possible reasons for this issue to occur. Didn't want to put all the stuff into one post.

Some people say the Launcher runs on the Internet Explorer program environment, so there may be a problem with it (never tried to run IE on purpose on this computer).
    I noticed on the 27th of April that I couldn't reach the log-in resource (my account on the forum is "saved" on this computer). That might be the reason for the Launcher not loading further also. Tried logging in on the site from another computer and from a tablet, them both saying the site cannot be reached.
    Regional IP block (they have been doing that with Vindictus without cutting off from the forums).
    The Launcher processes in the task manager appear to be 32bit, while my system mostly operates 64bit (was not a problem before).
    Just something wrong with the Launcher's files or links that can't be fixed with simple reinstallation.
    In a conversation with a non-Nexon technical support member he noticed that the system forcefully switched itself to working in the safe mode after some update. May be the reason here too probably.
  • MusicatMusicat
    Checked once more, now the appearance is like
    3mdEAtOSCC8.jpg
  • KttyKtty
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,415
    edited May 5, 2018
    Been doing some research on your blank launcher problem and finding that there can be MANY reasons for this. The more common reason though seems to automatic security updates to IExplorer (this would account for the problem on 2 diff OS version PC's). Check your updates and you will likely find an update that was downloaded/installed around the time your launcher stopped working. If this is the case removing the update and preventing it from auto-installing should work. Sadly auto-updates has been a problem for Nexon and Mabi players nearly forever. Hope this works to solve your problem but if not look for changes to other common items/programs that the 2 PC's have (such as, but not limited to, anti-virus, firewall, etc...).

EDIT: Found this on another Nexon support site!! and it could be what your problem is. https://support-vindictus.nexon.net/hc/en-us/articles/207878436-Nexon-Launcher-Blank-Screen-Issue
  • MusicatMusicat
    edited May 5, 2018
    Thank you very much, @Ktty!

I couldn't find the update list or whatever
    Ktty wrote: »
    Check your updates and you will likely find an update that was downloaded/installed around the time
    to check, messed around IE's settings, but found nothing there.

Also, the second PC is kind of clear, it has a few-days-before-installed older system (not just the version) with no updates at all. So, I really meant it when I wrote they're totally different.

Thank you for the link also, that's a thing I actually missed. Cleared the folder (you can just visit your user AppData folder to look for it instead of pasting the given %% thing), but it doesn't help.
  • JazmynJazmyn
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,595
    Are you opening the Nexon launcher directly, or trying to run Mabinogi using the Mabinogi shortcut?
  • MusicatMusicat
    edited May 5, 2018
    @Jazmyn, have been trying both the Launcher (including nexon_launcher and nexon_runtime) application and Mabinogi shortcut. All the same...
  • JazmynJazmyn
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,595
    edited May 5, 2018
    Musicat wrote: »
    @Jazmyn, have been trying both the Launcher (including nexon_launcher and nexon_runtime) application and Mabinogi shortcut. All the same...

Ok, thanks. I used to have an issue on my laptop, seemed like yours, and discovered it was something to do with how it tried to launch the game using the Mabinogi icon; using nexon_launcher fixed it. I'll see if I can find any other suggestions.
  • KttyKtty
    I couldn't find the update list or whatever .
    Also, the second PC is kind of clear, it has a few-days-before-installed older system (not just the version) with no updates at all. So, I really meant it when I wrote they're totally different.

In windows update. There's usually a link for it in the start menu. Check this in both PC's.Regardless of the windows version (7, 8, 10, yadda yadda) Many of the security problems are found and patched in all of them. Specifically, you are likely to find a update, in windows update, for a IExplorer security vulnerability that was installed around the time your problem began.

Unless you specifically turned updates off, it's automatically set to update without notifying you at the time of install.
  • MusicatMusicat
    edited May 5, 2018
    In windows update.

Unless you specifically turned updates off, it's automatically set to update without notifying you at the time of install.

O'kay, I checked the system updates through the maintenance menu (don't have a link in the start menu). There were no IE updates, but there were monthly common windows updates that included IE security (just as you've said) along with many other things, and monthly Flash Player security updates. The last two were on March 14. and April 11. These may be the ones preventing the Launcher from loading its contents.
    However, the problem remains on the second PC, because updates are specifically turned off there.
  • KttyKtty
    ...However, the problem remains on the second PC, because updates are specifically turned off on it.

If it's windows version is older and is nothing but a clean install it may be missing a needed update for the launcher to function properly.
  • MusicatMusicat
    edited May 5, 2018
    If it's windows version is older and is nothing but a clean install it may be missing a needed update for the launcher to function properly.
    Oh well, then I'll be probably diving into their lists soon.
    Was too used to the assistant tracking every system update for me before, need to become more independent now having discreet updates.
    Thank you once again.
  • KttyKtty
    edited May 5, 2018
    Oh well, then I'll be probably diving into their lists soon.
    Was too used to the assistant tracking every system update for me before, need to become more independent now having discreet updates.
    Thank you once again.

Your very welcome. We try our best here and most times someone in the forums can find the solution.

You mention an assistant. Are the versions of windows you're using for business and not the normal personal versions? If so then simply removing the update (or adding updates on the reinstalled older one) may not be enough or the problem. On business versions security is set reeeeeeeeeeealy tight on initial install and has to be dialed back on programs like Nexons stuff. many times on business versions when a security update is installed they can/will revert back many changes to security settings and even sometimes increase the security settings (I've run into this problem before and would drive me nuts!).

If you continue to have the problem with one or more of them post back here with the complete specs of the PC(s). I.E. make/model, windows version, graphics make/model, etc, etc....
  • MusicatMusicat
    edited May 7, 2018
    You mention an assistant.

If you continue to have the problem with one or more of them post back here with the complete specs of the PC(s). I.E. make/model, windows version, graphics make/model, etc, etc....

I have a pre-installed regional home windows. I don't have an assistant now. It was just my personal assistant informer back then.

And I'd prefer not to post my computer's full characteristics on forums. This should be taken out directly to technical support members. ^_^

Oh, also. I checked and deleted the updates that occured around the time my issue started, but this gave no new results. Instead, it was followed by such side effects as several shortcut removal and icon shuffling.

P. S. May be difficult anyway, because I'm being an exception in almost everything that involves common solutions, for some 10 years already.
  • KttyKtty
    And I'd prefer not to post my computer's characteristics on forums. This should be taken out directly to technical support members. ^_^

Your choice (though I don't understand why since it cant do any harm). Just understand that you're unlikely to get a solution here without providing that info. Nexon tech support also only deals with issues with their software and not issues caused by other means to their software, so they may not be able to help if that's the case.
  • MusicatMusicat
    edited June 4, 2018
    I think I've found out the exact reason for the issue. When my browser cache cleared, I had to log-in here again, but was unable to do this ("can't reach the server" thing, unfortunately, no screenshot of that), so it actually was
    I noticed on the 27th of April that I couldn't reach the log-in resource (my account on the forum is "saved" on this computer). That might be the reason for the Launcher not loading further also. Tried logging in on the site from another computer and from a tablet, them both saying the site cannot be reached.
    Regional IP block (they have been doing that with Vindictus without cutting off from the forums).
    some strange mix of these two reasons. I don't know why it happened (my router site-blocking list has always been empty, checked) and how it worked, but when I changed my location (IP too, then), I was able to run the Launcher properly and log-in here again (without deleting any windows' updates, by the way).
    However, by writing this I suppose I'm putting myself at risk of being blocked again. <_< Hope it doesn't happen though.