Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!
Closed

Dark Skintone Options for Elves!

Comments

• Sphyra21Sphyra21
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,555
    Zeo wrote: »
    I see that few people are continuing to fail to read my first post which does show that elves indeed can get the tan/dark sintones due to having several elven NPCs with those skintones that we players couldn't get.

However, I am still happy that this thread got so much support and it continue to get the support from majority of players too! :D I am still very disappointed and also EXTREMELY shocked that we still don't have all the skintones be available for all 3 races especially after a while too and I will continue to fight for this til we get the dark skintones for the elves!

ikr? This should've been done ages ago! ^^
    ZeoSherri
  • BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,425
    edited April 16, 2018
    Let's stay civil and discuss it like adults.

Elves are not human. They are a separate species, and it is OK for them to be physiologically different. Imagine if a goblin with green or purple skin wanted to play Mabinogi as a human, then complained that humans did not have a green or purple skin option. As a human, you would quickly respond that humans simply don't come in green or purple.

As for why Elves don't tan in the desert, maybe they just don't need to produce more melanin to protect themselves from UV rays. It's possible they aren't bothered by UV rays at all. Maybe to them, the light of Palala is no more damaging than the gentlest moonlight. It's also possible the color of their skin comes from a substance that is not melanin. We simply don't know. All we know is that Elves are not human.

An inherent trait of a species, yes. It is the defining physical feature of elves, but where does tan skin come in, really? You cannot insert lore reasons one postulated from conjecture anymore than you can demand verisimilitude over player convenience in a fictional fantasy game.

If a goblin wanted a purple or green skinned human, I wouldn't actually care.

As for physiological differences, where do you base your of being "OK"? I am rather confused. We are talking of a fictional species whose only real constraint is pointy ears in common fiction. Why does it matter? Elves have pointy ears because that is an inherent and agreed definition. It is a defined denotation versus associated connotations.

It is quite literally the exact definition of what constitutes an elf, currently anyway.
    ZeoSphyra21SayabloodySherri
  • WolfandWolfWolfandWolf
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,900
    Zeo wrote: »
    I see that few people are continuing to fail to read my first post which does show that elves indeed can get the tan/dark sintones due to having several elven NPCs with those skintones that we players couldn't get.

They argue about lore, get the lore completely wrong, and don't even realize that their "lore" has already been "broken". It's been "broken" for as long as Lost Elves have existed (which I think was ever since Iria was first implemented). So it's like, you can't really argue against dark skinned elves because we ALREADY HAVE dark skin elves. Right there. In the game. It's just that we need the option to be open to players. That's it. It's like how Atrata had dark hair for the longest time and we players couldn't get it. Then we could. Same as NPCs.

On another note, I'm feeling hopeful that we'll get this. We've already gotten commas, which is another very popular thing that the community has been wanting that we all thought we would never get. I was certainly sure we would never be allowed commas, at least. So....maybe....?
    ZeoSphyra21Sherri
  • THICCthighssavelivesTHICCthighssavelives
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,855
    Lost elves have darker skin because they're in the process of being turned into desert ghosts, who have very brown and leathery skin.
  • PepperLimePepperLime
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,020
    edited April 20, 2018
    Okay let's say thats the reason those lost elves are dark. What about the dark skinned elf's in Tara then? Zeo pointed out 2 cheerleaders. What about the elf from Samhain event they pointed out as well?
    ZeoSphyra21SherriKedarui
    edited April 20, 2018
    ^^ Those are humans cosplaying as elves, ofc.
  • TrythisTrythis
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,170
    edited April 21, 2018
    @THICCthighssavelives you tell everyone to be civil and then you start to troll kind of ironic don't you think?
    ZeoSherri
    Haha, true enough. I said to keep it civil because it was clear that person was trying to silence me (out of fear of discussing a politically incorrect topic in their eyes?) with public shaming tactics. It was clearly going to become a lynch mob if I didn't short-circuit it right away.
    Trythis
  • TrythisTrythis
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,170
    @THICCthighssavelives I guess that is unfair to assume racist tendencies lol
    edited April 23, 2018
    If elves get darker skin tones, then I'd love for giants and humans to get more skin tone varieties. Eye color, too.

edit* borrowing from the post after mine, if elves get dark skin tones, then grey, red, blue, green would have to be added as well.
  • FluoretteFluorette
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,840
    Interestingly enough, all of the elves in Filia wear robes, some even wearing the hoods over their heads. Is this to prevent them from tanning somehow? I don't know. o_o

As for the lore, Milletian elves can have black hair because they are Milletian and not Tuatha de Danaan (hope I spelled it right). Tuatha de Danaan elves with black hair were associated with terrible events that would suddenly happen after they appeared. Therefore, they were to be killed by a group of superstitious cultists because they believed it would prevent such. (Except Atrata, who was spared, if I remember correctly, because Castanea knew that she would be useful in the future.) Milletian elves are foreign, just barely follow Tuatha de Danaan elf politics (even though Milletian elves and giants don't get married because of them <_<), and weren't affected by the Memory Tower like the Tuatha de Danaan elves were.
    Basically, Milletian elves having black hair would not have broken the lore in the first place. Unless I misunderstood that argument a few pages back, lol.

I don't see much harm in dark-skinned elves. But I also think different skin colors like light, pale blue, grey, red, etc. would be nice to have, too!! ...But then that might actually break the lore since some of those tones are associated with dark elves and drow, which the story currently does not support.

Another thing that would be cool to see is more diversity in elf-ear size for the elf NPCs. All of the elves in Filia the basic long ears, but in the dressing room and on the character creation screen there are options for smaller ear sizes. Actually, I don't think I've ever seen a small-eared elf to the point that I wonder if this is intended to strictly be a Milletian thing.
    ZeoSherriSphyra21Kedarui
  • KidyKidy
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,565
    B> An elf tan and eye dyes please.
    =C
    Zeo
  • LeineiLeinei
    Mabinogi Rep: 16,440
    I would like Elves to have black hair that allows for decent texture. Just straight black is too harsh. =T
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,615
    Still nothing on the dark skin tones? I'm still hoping that they are one day added into the game. :L
    Sphyra21Zeo
  • Animelove89Animelove89
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,590
    maybe because there was a plan for new race called "Fomor Elves" just kidding Dark Elves. New type of race sounds cool if you ask me. BUT still want a skin change
    Zeo
  • ForeRuniaForeRunia
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,365
    Don't millitians choose their appearance anyways? Of course it'd be smarter to try and blend in with the population, but there's really no need to when most NPCs know you're different anyways. Pretty strange that you can't pick any skin tone you want.
    ZeoKedarui
  • MiDZMiDZ
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,555
    I support the idea of the dark skin tone for the elves as they are the only race that doesn't have it and it's not fair to deprive them, and the players who want to play a darker skinned elf..

Also, on the idea of lore: The majority of elves of Mabinogi live in Fillia, which is in a desert. How are the elves still only light skinned then if they live in a place where the sun would literally tan them? I never understood the reasoning behind this.
    ZeoSphyra21
  • Sphyra21Sphyra21
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,555
    Yo nexon! WE're still heeeeeeeeeeereeeeeeeeeee!!! lol
    Zeo
  • ZeoZeo
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,030
    I am very glad to know that the thread on elves getting dark skintone options continue to get LOT of support and I noticed more and more people are voting 'Yes' on the poll while the amount of votes on 'No' continued to stay the same! I am quite disappointed that we don't have the dark skintone options for the elves yet. D: But we all will continue to push and make this happens!!
    Sphyra21 wrote: »
    Yo nexon! WE're still heeeeeeeeeeereeeeeeeeeee!!! lol

Haha, I just checked the date on when I first made this thread and danggggg, I can't believe it have been more than one year now!
    Sphyra21
  • KedaruiKedarui
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,860
    edited July 13, 2018
    i'm completely in support of this! i know for a fact there's a lot of people who prefer to tailor their characters appearance as closely as they can to what they look like in real life (i know i do, that's why all my characters are male and have black hair lol) so there really should be an option to have dark skin when playing as an elf. it feels really unfair that the other races can have dark skin but elves can't, especially since they live in the desert. i've been playing mabinogi for about 10 years now and there's seriously no piece of lore stating that elves can't have dark skin, it's only black hair that was a problem, but even then black haired elves still existed.

and to bring lore into this... milletian's are not affected by tuathan (the npc race) restrictions. milletian's have total control over their appearance in the lore, so EVEN IF there were a lore reason for elves not having dark skin, it wouldn't effect milletian's. they can literally do whatever they want. the pets that players can have in game are milletian's. if they can choose to be a frickin' scooter, then they can choose to have dark skin.

(Comment removed to prevent derailment/issues.)
    ZeoSphyra21
This discussion has been closed.