Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Remove hunger restoration on level up.

XxBearslayerxXXxBearslayerxX
Mabinogi Rep: 1,230
in Feedback and Suggestions
This feature pretty much erases the need to eat due to how fast you level up now and the reduced EXP needed to go from 1-100 current.

As a newbie, I went down to half hunger and once I got food, I was delighted, once I made some food to eat I felt accomplished.

I know a lot of people might hate this, but when was the last time you ate food in Mabi that was not from catering? Having to keep myself fed was one feature about the game I liked,plus I still have yet to get a title from the Dunbarton Cloths shop.

Comments

• FluoretteFluorette
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,840
    I also cook day-by-day and would like for my character to stay hungry so that I can put the many foods stored in my pet inventories to use. It feels harder to get my character hungry since I don't stay online for long periods of time (unless I'm totally unaware of some fast-burning hunger methods in game). However, I also feel like this would only benefit the minority just as you stated. I'm sure there's plenty of people who don't eat, don't use Cooking, and don't care to do either. :(

Maybe some kind of skill that sacrifices a fraction of your hunger % (and stamina) in exchange for something else could be proposed, similarly to Dorcha Conversion? Just a thought... Not too sure where to go with it, though. x_x
    YangKoeteTHICCthighssavelives
  • YangKoeteYangKoete
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,175
    Doesn't hunger lower faster if ya have lower Stamina?

Either way, it really would make sense to have the hunger restored at level up removed. =w=' Don't see how suddenly getting stronger restores hunger.
  • TheNyanCatTheNyanCat
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,665
    YangKoete wrote: »

Either way, it really would make sense to have the hunger restored at level up removed. =w=' Don't see how suddenly getting stronger restores hunger.

This is correct, you could spam counter with knuckles on or just afk with it on since it passively drains stam. Keeping your stam at 0 should make hunger drain faster.
    Jazmyn
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    TheNyanCat wrote: »
    YangKoete wrote: »

This is correct, you could spam counter with knuckles on or just afk with it on since it passively drains stam. Keeping your stam at 0 should make hunger drain faster.

I think Spellwalk drains Stamina pretty quickly too and if you keep Meditation on your Stamina recovery stops which means your Stamina will stay 0 forever.
  • IyasenuIyasenu
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,265
    Hunger is weird in this game.

Back in the day it was a lot more noticeable, because everyone's stamina was so much lower than it can get to nowadays.

And something that hasn't changed from back then, is that hunger goes down at a flat rate.

Something like, every 100 seconds 1 point of stamina is turned into 1 point of Hunger.
    Now if you had 100 maximum stamina, this'd be 1% per 100 seconds.

But for someone with, say, 1,000 stamina, this is 0.1% per 100 seconds.

Hunger really fell by the wayside once they increased the amount of stamina you can acquire, since they never changed the way hunger works.
    At such a slow rate (even if you use Meditation, which should triple hunger gain rate), it takes a very, very long time to notice any hunger once you're full of stamina.

That and as mentioned, getting filled up on level up, and of course with Transformations and the weird thing where Changing Channels restores your HP/MP/SP/Hunger a bit, I think getting hungry is a bit of a lost cause.

About the only way a very high stamina character could get down to 50% hunger would be if you either let them AFK with meditation on for a few hours, or if you touched a fountain in a dungeon and got the 0 stamina 50% hunger result.
    Fluorette
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    edited July 6, 2018
    Iyasenu wrote: »

Back in the day it was a lot more noticeable, because everyone's stamina was so much lower than it can get to nowadays.

And something that hasn't changed from back then, is that hunger goes down at a flat rate.

Something like, every 100 seconds 1 point of stamina is turned into 1 point of Hunger.
    Now if you had 100 maximum stamina, this'd be 1% per 100 seconds.

But for someone with, say, 1,000 stamina, this is 0.1% per 100 seconds.

Hunger really fell by the wayside once they increased the amount of stamina you can acquire, since they never changed the way hunger works.
    At such a slow rate (even if you use Meditation, which should triple hunger gain rate), it takes a very, very long time to notice any hunger once you're full of stamina.

That and as mentioned, getting filled up on level up, and of course with Transformations and the weird thing where Changing Channels restores your HP/MP/SP/Hunger a bit, I think getting hungry is a bit of a lost cause.

About the only way a very high stamina character could get down to 50% hunger would be if you either let them AFK with meditation on for a few hours, or if you touched a fountain in a dungeon and got the 0 stamina 50% hunger result.

Ahhh yes, forgot to mention that one. Very handy, but mostly not really lol.
  • FluoretteFluorette
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,840
    Iyasenu wrote: »

Yeah, pretty much this post. I have over 700 maximum Stamina and it takes a bit to lose it.

- I tried the Counterattack trick (though I didn't have Knuckles equipped - guess I'll try that to lose Stamina faster next time) and even with that it took a long time to actually see a speck of progress with my character's Hunger.

- I used Meditation and sat down (since I noticed that the percentage seemed to go down quicker sitting compared to standing) as well - there was a bit of progress, but unfortunately the process was still too slow. I believe I only reached about 90(ish)% in almost two hours just from standing around with it on during one occasion.

- I don't have Spellwalk yet, so I can't speak for that.

Like Iyasenu said, someone like me would more than likely have to stick with the aforementioned methods for hours in order to see a considerable percentage lost. I don't like to keep the client open for a long time unless I'm actually showing some activity in game, either. Well, unless there is something else here that I am missing?
  • JazmynJazmyn
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,595
    So now, here's a newb question; theres brown-ish color in the stamina bar and black in stamina bar; which one is hunger? Are they both hunger? What's the difference? xD
  • IyasenuIyasenu
    Jazmyn wrote: »
    So now, here's a newb question; theres brown-ish color in the stamina bar and black in stamina bar; which one is hunger? Are they both hunger? What's the difference? xD

Just how the game shows you're hungry, but also showing your stamina.

Say you have 75/100 stamina, but are at 50% hunger.
    It'd be 50% yellow, 25% brown, 25% black.

When stamina regenerates above the hunger line, it becomes brown in color, to show that you're still hungry.
    Jazmyn
  • XxBearslayerxXXxBearslayerxX
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,230
    Fluorette wrote: »
    I also cook day-by-day and would like for my character to stay hungry so that I can put the many foods stored in my pet inventories to use. It feels harder to get my character hungry since I don't stay online for long periods of time (unless I'm totally unaware of some fast-burning hunger methods in game). However, I also feel like this would only benefit the minority just as you stated. I'm sure there's plenty of people who don't eat, don't use Cooking, and don't care to do either. :(

Maybe some kind of skill that sacrifices a fraction of your hunger % (and stamina) in exchange for something else could be proposed, similarly to Dorcha Conversion? Just a thought... Not too sure where to go with it, though. x_x

That is a great idea! What if the using a chain blade and its skills just made you really hungry somewhat quick!

Hmm yeah the only time I burn through a lot of stamina is if I am training skills that eat it. I wonder if the formula for hunger could be changed.
  • THICCthighssavelivesTHICCthighssavelives
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,855
    When I first started I just put a few stacks of tomatoes in my inv and used that as a space-efficient food. I think this was around the time I was afraid of rebirthing for the first time.
    Fluorette wrote: »

I got it! Using heal on yourself will increase hunger% instead of directly consuming stamina.

I would also love for food and cooking to be used more, to be more fun. Cooking atm just seems like a pain if you want a quick dish. You have to pull out your utensils, possibly fill a bottle with water (why so difficult??), and do the tedious cooking skill drop-down menu plus mini-game one or more times. Quick things like mixing liquids should really only require a bottle. Certain base ingredients, like meats, big vegetables, cheese, or fish, should be easily flame-cooked by just hanging them over an open fire or sticking them in an oven. You can undercook and overcook these items depending on their time in the heat, and visual cues like color and steam/smoke help in determining the correct time.

Cooking lots of food is also a pain. It would be nice if we could cook in larger portions somehow. Also I wouldn't mind if food went bad or rotted after a few real life WEEKS.
  • IyasenuIyasenu
    You know what's another antiquated mechanic that is ignored a lot due to how hunger is such a non-issue?

That eating food actually also directly heals your stamina...
    BUT, only if your character is young. (I think the cutoff is 13 or 14 years of age)
    THICCthighssavelives
  • MegasoulMegasoul
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,735
    The overall trend is that a cooking update that made cooking more interesting and useful, like with what happened with the catering skill, would be good.
    THICCthighssavelives