Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

graphics card doesnt support critical functions

lljetlljet
Mabinogi Rep: 200
edited June 28, 2018 in Technical Support
i know there is like a million discussions on this, and there is a default.reg in the settings, but none of that works. Ive also never been able to open this game on my computer.
1280x720 res, 2.9 i3 quadcore, gtx 860m, 8 gigs of ram. plz halp

Comments

• KttyKtty
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,415
    'Graphics card doesn't support critical functions' means your using a windows supplied graphics driver and not an Nvida one for the gtx card or.... your on a laptop and the game is attempting to use the graphics built into the CPU. If your on a laptop you need to either install an Intel graphics driver (instead of windows one) for the builtin graphics or you need to set everything to run for 'performance' in power options to force it to use the gtx graphics.
  • lljetlljet
    I am playing on a desktop, I have an alienware alpha, and i believe the motherboard has the igpu disabled by default. I installed my current driver from the geforce expirience app.
  • KttyKtty
    lljet wrote: »
    I am playing on a desktop, I have an alienware alpha.
    lljet wrote: »
    ...1280x720 res, 2.9 i3 quadcore, gtx 860m, 8 gigs of ram. plz halp

Not an actual desktop. It's basically a laptop without a screen/KB built in. As such most errors/fixes are identical to that of a laptop.

'Graphics card doesn't support critical functions' means that the driver for gpu that Mabi is attempting to use is not an official Nvida/ATi/Intel driver. Mabi tends to ignore the better graphics and attempt to use the gpu's built into cpu's of systems like yours. If you are definitely using an Nvidia driver for the gtx 860m and getting this error Mabi is trying to use the IntelHD graphics built into the i3CPU. You either need to install an official IntelHD driver for it so Mabi can access the needed functions on the built-in graphics or find the needed options in that lil' brick to force Mabi to use the gtx860m. note: Installing the IntelHD graphics driver won't cause problems for anything else that uses the gtx by default (I.E. you can have drivers for both graphics installed).
  • lljetlljet
    Well, after trying to install the driver for my igpu, i got a popup saying "This computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing this software"
    I did some research on that, double checked i had the right driver, but to no avail. I did find a forum thread on the dell website stating, "The CPU has integrated graphics core, but it's disabled by the Alpha's motherboard firmware.". I went into the bios but there wasn't a setting for it. Sooo i updated the bios, and nothing was there. Ive already set mabinogi to run on the nvidia gpu with prefer maximum performance via nvidia control panel. Unless some miracle solution comes up, ill just skip on this game until i get something that can run it. Thank you for your time, and sorry for taking up your time.
  • KttyKtty
    @lljet

Just finished a lot of research on the net and found your not alone with this type of problem on those lil' Alien Alpha bricks. It seems that games attempting to use the integrated as opposed to discrete graphics is common and solutions don't seem to exist.. I will keep looking and if I find something will come back and post it.
  • lljetlljet
    Thanks!