Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Spears and Polearms

nomigid15nomigid15
Mabinogi Rep: 3,870
edited October 21, 2019 in Feedback and Suggestions
I'm surprised these aren't a thing (granted, there are the mini card spears and I guess scythes could count too). And I'm not talking about javelins (for throwing), but melee spears (for thrusting).

Bmm9n23.png

(Some designs made as an example.)

General Information:

* Polearm-type weapons gain the benefits of Combat Mastery.
* Benefits from Polearm Mastery (which will passively increase Stamina).
- Scythes might be categorized as Polearms, rather than receiving their own mastery skill.
* Polearms will count as Warrior weapons, and be compatible with Close Combat skills.
* Cannot be dual-wielded.
- 1H Polearms can be paired with Small-type and Medium-type shields.
* 1H Polearms will likely be Normal speed, with 2 hits. 2H Polearms will likely be Slow speed, with 3 hits.
* Smash aftereffect: Reduces targets Attack Speed and Movement Speed (affected enemies will be colored Grey).

(Note: Any of the above may be subject to change.)

Server: Alexina
IGN: Tocannota
UrufuDelaclyaSherri

Comments

• KnightdogKnightdog
    Mabinogi Rep: 860
    Hmm, I wonder if this is because combat is already a loaded talent? Could add it to Knight Talent maybe. The question is, should it be added to Combat or Knight, or be a standalone talent? Combat has axes, swords, blunt weapons already, but lances can be used with a shield, something I cannot imagine doing with Spears, nor can I imagine the spear being stronger than the lance. Spears could have a thrust, a charged thrust (similar to Blaze), a strike with the side of it , maybe a spinning attack where the character alternates hits with the side, the butt, and the tip while rotating both themselves and the weapon followed by a final thrust toward the last standing enemy. That would look really cool. There could also be a set chance for the spear to "get stuck" in an enemy and the player would have to pull them close and remove the spear with their foot for massive damage and invulnerability frames during the animation (due to it being not feasibly interruptible logically and based on a chance anyway.)
  • THICCthighssavelivesTHICCthighssavelives
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,855
    I find it strange that an entire talent was built around the lance weapon, yet the only unique skills it gets are Lance Charge and Lance Counter, both of which are basically copies of other skills. Please scrap these two skills and just use the existing Charge and Counter skills, giving them alternate effects and restrictions when used with a lance. This way we also scrap the entire Lance talent!

Polearm Mastery can affect combat with spears, polearms, lances, and tridents. It will be part of the close combat talent. A new talent called Riding (I made a separate thread for this) will govern mounted combat, but it won't be limited to lances.
  • nomigid15nomigid15
    Well, I don't necessarily mean a whole new talent, just a new weapon type. As for shields, I'd imagine there could be some 1H spears that could be used with smaller shields (after all, that's how the ancient Greeks fought).
  • MeridisMeridis
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,010
    nomigid15 wrote: »
    Well, I don't necessarily mean a whole new talent, just a new weapon type. As for shields, I'd imagine there could be some 1H spears that could be used with smaller shields (after all, that's how the ancient Greeks fought).

I wouldn't call their shields small though. Anyway, that makes me think it should have a special effect with defense, such as being able to do normal attacks while maintaining defense.
  • nomigid15nomigid15
    @Meridis - Or (if that's not possible) perhaps give polearms a comparatively short Defense animation, allowing for faster retaliation after blocking an attack.
  • GremmGremm
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,840
    edited August 30, 2018
    Really, we have daggers, crossbows, chain whips and even the mighty stick!
    ...But where is the spear?

We have a Talent that has been around ever since the game started, the Close Combat Talent, it has affected and supported almost every weapon and fighting style in Mabinogi and you can even be called a Master Warrior with this talent at its best!

So i want to add something basic that many people would love to try out at least once in this game, something that should have been implemented with a weapon mastery skill attached to it well over 10 years ago. A new weapon: The Mighty Spear.

Add the spear to our arsenal of weapons please!

Gindr
    Alexina Server
  • GTCvActiumGTCvActium
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,125
    The unfortunate thing is that lance weapons ARE spear weapons. In fact actual spears during crossover events are placed directly under lances. Like most weapon oriented martial arts, the fighting is generalized so yeah, spears fit perfectly in the lance category as a thrust and piece weapon. Though I would like an actual native spear type weapon that's thin.
    Greta
  • GremmGremm
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,840
    edited August 30, 2018
    GTCvActium wrote: »
    The unfortunate thing is that lance weapons ARE spear weapons. In fact actual spears during crossover events are placed directly under lances. Like most weapon oriented martial arts, the fighting is generalized so yeah, spears fit perfectly in the lance category as a thrust and piece weapon. Though I would like an actual native spear type weapon that's thin.

In general i see Lances and spears as separate categories of weapons and its the thinner ones that you mentioned that im after, you cant fight the same way with a spear as you can do with a lance.
    Many of the pole techniques that a spear user have is impossible to do with a lance thats normally an expendable tool in IRL, i just want a proper spear and not just a lance that you cant even use in close range. :/
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    Lances = Spears.
  • GTCvActiumGTCvActium
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,125
    Gremm wrote: »
    GTCvActium wrote: »

In general i see Lances and spears as separate categories of weapons and its the thinner ones that you mentioned that im after, you cant fight the same way with a spear as you can do with a lance.
    Many of the pole techniques that a spear user have is impossible to do with a lance thats normally an expendable tool in IRL, i just want a proper spear and not just a lance that you cant even use in close range. :/

The thing is that the spear is designed to fight at a range and keep enemies from entering said range. When an enemy does breach that range, a spear typically does not fair well which is why soldiers also carried a short sword as a side arm so they can properly engage an opponent in close combat should they get past spear range (Which is exactly how Lances play in Mabi). The Lances in Mabi are actually spears but are a type of spear with a clear specific purpose, breaching armor. The thin spear you're referring to is more fit as an infantry weapon, used to fight off other infantry of lightly armored targets. Historically the spear is an easy to use weapon offering intuitive use even for people with minimal training. Mabi Lances on the other hand are based on weapons made for piercing medium to heavier armored targets which are actually stronger than your typical spear, however, a lance does even more poorly in close combat, but are suited to their specific purposes very well, namely that to break through armor, and heavy formations. So yeah, while we can probably get more "spear" weapons in game, we actually DO have a spear combat style, which is lance combat that fights different from close combat. As it should.
  • YangKoeteYangKoete
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,175
    Probably best if it's "Polearms". Scythes, Spears, Halberds (Swing two times and then thrust on the third hit), Naginata (Same as the halberd) and stuff like that. Royal Hammers and such'll stay as-is.
    Gremm
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    YangKoete wrote: »
    Probably best if it's "Polearms". Scythes, Spears, Halberds (Swing two times and then thrust on the third hit), Naginata (Same as the halberd) and stuff like that. Royal Hammers and such'll stay as-is.

Speaking of polearms, throw in quarter staves, pikes, bills and glaives as well
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,615
    latest?cb=20161120013811
    (didnt know the picture would be big, sorry--)
    YES PLEASE! :D
    Gremm