Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Is it worth it?

ViciousSharkViciousShark
Mabinogi Rep: 100
in General Chat
Hey, so quick bio about me. I've played this game in the past from childhood and a little off and on later down the road and the last time I was active on I believe it was after the Gunslinger talent had been around for a bit.

So my main question as you might've guessed is, is it worth coming back and playing after so much time?

I do want to point out a few things and one includes the fact that I'm aware some might say "just play the game and find out" and even if I'm wrong, that is probably the most practical advice I'll find here. My reason for wanting to know this is that I've been having a bit of a nostalgia trip and looked back on some of the old games and mmos I've played from times ago. Mabinogi was always one of my favorites and I do consider it a gem for it's time and progression over the years.

The only trick with coming back this time is that I want to start completely fresh. Although since I'm using my old nexon account I do believe that there are characters still there and it would make more sense to just continue from there, but with all the friends I may either gone or obviously forgot about me after being gone so long, I'd end up clearing the list anyway. Furthermore, it would just feel better having a fresh start despite putting me so much more behind than I left my characters.

If you could give me some opinions on returning and making a fresh new start, whether it's worth it or not, that would be appreciated.

Comments

• YorozuyaYorozuya
    Mabinogi Rep: 775
    Well, for new characters they implemented a bunch of benefits. One of the more well-known ones is being able to reset all skills to 0, and rb everyday if you're under 1k CLvl

So some people rank up certain skills to r1, gain all the AP given per talent based on what rank you are, and thus farm about 230AP per talent, which there are... I think 20? So 4600 free AP.

So do your best to stay under 1k Cumulative level, and rake them in. I think you should ask around for that, I never personally done it myself.

Other than that, make sure to master a skill set before diversifying. And do one of the first 5 before doing the "adv" skills like dual gun, ninja, chain blade, etc.
    Bronzebreak
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    Everyone has 5 additional character slots if not already used, so you can have plenty of trial and error.
    It's always worth coming back to as long as you're not trying to rush everything to catch up with others. That's how most people get frustrated and end up quitting again after short spells. Also peer pressure and the like.
  • ImaizumiImaizumi
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,225
    Word of advice unless you have a large stash of pets, if your old main(s) went over total 1k total level, then you should start on a new account. Once one character goes over the rest of the characters no longer enjoy new player benefits which makes it much harder to catch up to your main on that account as a result.

Another thing to note is that it's quite likely that starting over fresh doesn't even hurt you that much considering there's general event power creep over the years as well. What used to be a decent character 2-3 years back may be considered a novice character again depending on how strong your original main is.
    Imaizumi wrote: »
    Word of advice unless you have a large stash of pets, if your old main(s) went over total 1k total level, then you should start on a new account. Once one character goes over the rest of the characters no longer enjoy new player benefits which makes it much harder to catch up to your main on that account as a result.

Another thing to note is that it's quite likely that starting over fresh doesn't even hurt you that much considering there's general event power creep over the years as well. What used to be a decent character 2-3 years back may be considered a novice character again depending on how strong your original main is.

Depending on the pace and style one plays. But definitely, the incentives are strong.
  • CaissaCaissa
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,175
    We're in the middle of one event that gives enough coins to buy the equivalent of a 50 AP Potion every day and another that is raining down rebirth potions every weekend. Your new character will be just fine.
  • THICCthighssavelivesTHICCthighssavelives
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,855
    Play a little just to refresh your memory, but wait until mabi mobile is released to get serious.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    Play a little just to refresh your memory, but wait until mabi mobile is released to get serious.

Oh god I don't know what we're going to do once it's released. Definitely will be playing it on bluestacks (because I am sure my old smart phone isn't going to cut it). But I fear we're going to experience a noticeable drop in population on this Mabi or everyone is going to be afk WAY more.
  • NeroyNeroy
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,640
    Gaea wrote: »

Oh god I don't know what we're going to do once it's released. Definitely will be playing it on bluestacks (because I am sure my old smart phone isn't going to cut it). But I fear we're going to experience a noticeable drop in population on this Mabi or everyone is going to be afk WAY more.

If we get a Mabinogi M and its linked with pc accounts(who knows we can drive a different path from KR), that will be a game changer. If flagship phones can port fornite and pubg, there should be no problem with a mabi port, except cost but still I'll throw mad bucks at that project.
    Kensamaofmarioffwithyourheads
    Neroy wrote: »
    Gaea wrote: »

If we get a Mabinogi M and its linked with pc accounts(who knows we can drive a different path from KR), that will be a game changer. If flagship phones can port fornite and pubg, there should be no problem with a mabi port, except cost but still I'll throw mad bucks at that project.

That would be great to be able to be on mabi on the go.
    The problem is are Devcat and Nexon willing to invest in that path.
  • ImaizumiImaizumi
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,225
    Oh yeah final pro tip. do NOT make ur character on tarlach and especially ruari unless u have great incentive to do so. near dead if not dead servers. I know the residents there get offended and say they like it being cozy or small knit and what not, but the comparison is no joke compared to a server like Alexina. You will lock your self out of options and it's just good information to know.

Size wise. Alexina >> Mari >> Tarlach > Ruari

Keep it in mind. I recommend Alexina despite my obvious Alexina residence bias. But I speak from leaving Tarlach 4-5 years ago and was in a similar restart situation as you.

I wanted to keep going but a fresh start seemed better for me as well as the fact that Tarlach was more dead when I came back compared to when I first played.
    fennixfox
    Oh yeah final pro tip. do NOT make ur character on tarlach and especially ruari unless u have great incentive to do so. near dead if not dead servers. I know the residents there get offended and say they like it being cozy or small knit and what not, but the comparison is no joke compared to a server like Alexina. You will lock your self out of options and it's just good information to know.

Keep it in mind. I recommend Alexina despite my obvious Alexina residence bias. But I speak from leaving Tarlach 4-5 years ago and was in a similar restart situation as you.

I wanted to keep going but a fresh start seemed better for me as well as the fact that Tarlach was more dead when I came back compared to when I first played.

Alexina - Server for the masses and everyone and anyone. Good place for beginners.
    Mari - the more cozy server
    Tarlach - Run by the 1%
    Ruairi - I really don't have any info

Of course, one can always check out the server forum threads to get an idea of what to expect.
  • HellkaizerHellkaizer
    Mabinogi Rep: 11,305

Alexina - Server for the masses and everyone and anyone. Good place for beginners.
    Tarlach - Run by the 1%

Of course, one can always check out the server forum threads to get an idea of what to expect.

I'll put my opinion on servers this way, my only regret is that I didn't abandon ruairi earlier for alexina. Sure restarting can be a pain but it's so easy now.
  • GTCvActiumGTCvActium
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,125

Tarlach - Run by the 1%

Or you know, you can send people to the smaller servers to help their communities out. Alexina is cutthroat enough with their market, and from the streams I've seen players from Ruairi and Tarlach, they are more than willing to help beginners out.
  • Clovis15Clovis15
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,780
    edited July 25, 2018
    Oh, look, a non Alexinian Player making patently false claims about Alexina's marketplace again. Just because the other non Alexina players regularly say those things doesn't make them true, especially when they're not even on the Server. I get that you want people to join your server, I truly do, but at least be honest about that being your reason for pushing Ruairi and Tarlach (rather than trying to make it sound like your authority comes from a third party source).

I really don't begrudge you people for wanting other people on your server since Nexon hasn't done either a much needed merge, or even a server move option, but you really have to stop lying to accomplish your goals. Alexina is not Satan, stop trying to present it otherwise.

Yes, I realize it's - from your perspective - the best way to get what you want. But seriously, knock it off. Nothing justifies these constant smear campaigns, nor lying to potential players during server decisions. Your servers have dreadfully low populations, and this creates issues for you, but those issues don't give you the right to do this (despite the unfortunate predicament they otherwise put you in).

Anyways, I have nothing against you specifically. This message was not about you singularly. But rather the various players who aren't on Alexina, but regularly pretend otherwise for the purposes of misdirection. I truly do feel sorry for your server situation, but lying is never the way.
    HellkaizerImaizumiGreta
  • HellkaizerHellkaizer
    Clovis15 wrote: »
    Oh, look, a non Alexinian Player making patently false claims about Alexina's marketplace again. Just because the other non Alexina players regularly say those things doesn't make them true, especially when they're not even on the Server. I get that you want people to join your server, I truly do, but at least be honest about that being your reason for pushing Ruairi and Tarlach (rather than trying to make it sound like your authority comes from a third party source).

I really don't begrudge you people for wanting other people on your server since Nexon hasn't done either a much needed merge, or even a server move option, but you really have to stop lying to accomplish your goals. Alexina is not Satan, stop trying to present it otherwise.

Yes, I realize it's - from your perspective - the best way to get what you want. But seriously, knock it off. Nothing justifies these constant smear campaigns, nor lying to potential players during server decisions. Your servers have dreadfully low populations, and this creates issues for you, but those issues don't give you the right to do this (despite the unfortunate predicament they otherwise put you in).

Alexina market really isn't as bad as people are making it out to be. Yes materials are more expensive, yes new gacha stuff is more expensive but that's because there's a higher demand for it as well. Pretty much every single gacha fashion item has gone down a few days after the gacha is out, and like a week later they're most of the time around 10m for the more expensive ones.

Ruairi's market might seem better because things aren't as expensive, but that's what happens when there's little demand for items. Not to mention buying materials on ruairi usually leads to "I have to run it myself because no one has one" that's not a good market.
  • Clovis15Clovis15
    edited July 25, 2018
    Yes, Day One prices are not reflective of Alexina Prices as a whole (although non Alexinians frequently will try to cite them otherwise). Items drop catastrophically in price on Alexina between the first day and the following week. But the same could be said of nearly any game with a Market Place, just see what happens in Warframe a week after the newest Prime stuff gets added.
    fennixfox
  • GTCvActiumGTCvActium

Anyways, I have nothing against you specifically. This message was not about you singularly. But rather the various players who aren't on Alexina, but regularly pretend otherwise for the purposes of misdirection. I truly do feel sorry for your server situation, but lying is never the way.

I'm actually from Mari, and from the pricing I've seen from Alexina compared to our prices for common items, I can tell you that your inflation rate is much higher than what our rates are. Plus I didn't demonize Alexina, I just mentioned its market situation based on observations and comparisons. At no point did I say that Alexina was satan or something. And here's my observation for you, the moment you saw someone suggest recommending other servers, you immediately thought that it the comment was directed at demonizing your server. My comment makes a legitimate criticism of Alexina's market as a disadvantage to the advantages other people listed while presenting some advantages or Ruairi and Tarlach to the disadvantages brought up against them. This is a discussion, not a place for you get offended. There was no lie in my comment, Alexina's markets are more competitive than other servers with inflation and fluctuations more apparent due to its higher population. I also don't appreciate this as I take as a personal attack since you immediately tried to play off any criticism and disadvantages raised against your server as lies. You also assumed that I was from those two servers before trying to sound empathetic so that you don't seem like you lost your temper at a single criticism at your server.

• HellkaizerHellkaizer
    Yes, Day One prices are not reflective of Alexina Prices as a whole (although non Alexinians frequently will try to cite them otherwise). Items drop catastrophically in price on Alexina between the first day and the following week. But the same could be said of nearly any game with a Market Place, just see what happens in Warframe a week after the newest Prime stuff gets added.

A very recent example, I liked the desert outfit but people were asking 15m day of release, and people were buying for around 10m. A few days ago I bought the ancient version for 2m in some random shop in belvast, the shoes for 60k, and the gloves for 110k.

Someone actually tried selling the ancient female set for 50m on day one and now the whole set is like 8m. This happens with every gacha, and the one we're about to get I can expect to see insane prices on the newest stuff as well until the gacha has been out for a week.
    fennixfox
  • GTCvActiumGTCvActium
    Hellkaizer wrote: »

A very recent example, I liked the desert outfit but people were asking 15m day of release, and people were buying for around 10m. A few days ago I bought the ancient version for 2m in some random shop in belvast, the shoes for 60k, and the gloves for 110k.

Someone actually tried selling the ancient female set for 50m on day one and now the whole set is like 8m. This happens with every gacha, and the one we're about to get I can expect to see insane prices on the newest stuff as well until the gacha has been out for a week.

This happens with all other servers too, but for Alexina and its higher populations means that a good insight into the goods and values is required to function well. This is not exactly a beginner or even a returning player friendly situation. On average, Alexina does have higher prices than other servers, and you cannot deny that there are more forces working in the Alexina market than other server markets.
  • Clovis15Clovis15
    edited July 25, 2018
    "Mister Merchant Meeting Man" stopped long ago with that game, just so you know (I wish I could use the person's name, but that would be against the rules). So I'm not exactly sure what "forces" you're referring to anymore, but I'm guessing your info is vastly out of date. I could speak of vastly outdated rumors regarding the other servers as well, but - since I'm advocating for honesty and truths here - I won't name any.

So if what you're saying isn't a lie, they must be giving away wings for far less than a single million right now on Ruairi/Tarlach. That said, I highly doubt they are. Oh, but we seriously do have wings going that low regularly on the Auction House these days. Maybe not the most coveted varieties, but they seriously are going that low now.

Alexina is not some mythical toxic place against new players, please stop trying to imply otherwise. I really wish profiles here would list which Server a play spends their most time on, so we could better tell the reasons for such posts.

Anyways, I don't hold any ill will for anyone currently active in this conversation.
    Imaizumi