Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Grey Screen Appears During Loading Screens

Kingskiller9Kingskiller9
Mabinogi Rep: 200
edited June 12, 2018 in Technical Support
To be more precise, what happens is that a random grey overlay that makes the load times extend by like a whole 20 or 30 seconds occurs either right before or after a loading screen. Previously I never had this issue. In fact, just a couple months back, the game ran fine and booted up at regular times. I don't know why this started happening, and it occurs in loading screens for extended periods of time. It's really agitating, and I can't figure out the source of the issue. It also occurs when i'm in the options screen trying to configure settings, whenever I click a setting option what do you know, Mr. grey overlay appears and I have to wait up to 45 seconds to a minute or maybe even longer depending on how it feels for it to readjust itself. If anybody is having this same issue or perhaps could shed some light as to why this is occurring and what I could do to fix it, I'd be greatly appreciative.

Comments

• Kingskiller9Kingskiller9
    Also, a really quick update: it doesn't seem to occur in windowed mode from what I can observe as I have just attempted to log off and it loaded fine.
    I'm not sure if that's of any help but I figured I'd provide that.
  • KttyKtty
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,415
    The grey screen problem tends to be caused by in game graphics settings that the game/pc doesn't like. Selecting a different resolution that's compatable with your pc should clear it up. If not...

forums.mabinogi.nexon.net
    First and foremost, thank you for your advice. I attempted to change the in-game resolutions through the settings however that did not work. I also attempted to reset the in-game settings through the actual game files as prompted by the forum discussion you linked me. I still have had no fortune as the grey screen seems to stay there. I didn't have the issue previously, when I played it a couple months ago, I do not know why it chooses to be prevalent now.
  • KttyKtty
    Did your graphics driver update just before the problem started? Who made your pc? what are it's specs? The graphics? windows version? details are needed before anyone can provide any meaningful help.
  • GentlemenGentlemen
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,340
    edited June 13, 2018
    I'm also having the same exact problem as OP. I don't think my specs are the issue either.

GPU: GTX 1070
    CPU: i5-7600k
    RAM: 16GB

• KttyKtty
    Gentlemen wrote: »
    I'm also having the same exact problem as OP. I don't think my specs are the issue either.

they aren't the issue but allow us to narrow down potential solutions instead of shooting in the dark.
    edited June 16, 2018
    Ok, so Mabinogi was working fine a couple months ago when we (my father, I and mostly a good friend knowledgeable on PC building) built our PC so it's rather new. The issue just recently started occurring. I suppose a graphics driver update in thesis could be the problem since I've had a few graphics updates since I last logged onto Mabinogi though.

Specs:
    CPU: i7-8700k
    RAM: 32GB DDR4
    GPU: GTX 1080 Ti

• KttyKtty
    ...I suppose a graphics driver update in thesis could be the problem since I've had a few graphics updates since I last logged onto Mabinogi though.

Graphics driver updates have always been a problem with Mabi. Sadly immediately updating to the newest one as soon as it's available is usually a recipe for problems with Mabi. I my self wait for several Mabi updates before updating to a new graphics driver to be sure Nexon has corrected any possible problems that may arise.

Considering that your both on win10 and both have GTX graphics it would be the best start to look at the graphics driver. I would suggest first rolling it back to the driver that Mabi was last known to work on for you. If that doesn't clear it up I would then suggest the security updates for win10 (including any for IEXplorer/edge browser). Those win10 security updates also often cause problems with Mabi.
  • MoroaicaMoroaica
    Mabinogi Rep: 805
    I have been experiencing similar problems with white, grey and black screens since switching to Win 10 this April, and the issue has recently been getting worse - even in windowed mode. So far none of the suggested fixes seems to help. Worked great in Windows 8.1, so I'm stumped.

Specs:
    CPU: AMD FX-8120
    GPU: GTX 970 (398.11 drivers)
    RAM: 16 GB

I don't know if this makes any difference but I do have a triple monitor setup as I have heard multi-monitors can be of issue but had no problems until I started using Win 10.

Out of curiosity, is anyone else having similar issues still have restore points prior to April to rollback to? I just noticed a thread where a poster said an update in April started causing problems and a rollback seemed to help. Unfortunately my OS install is so new, I am unable to test this.
  • LeoujiLeouji
    Mabinogi Rep: 925
    To be more precise, what happens is that a random grey overlay that makes the load times extend by like a whole 20 or 30 seconds occurs either right before or after a loading screen. Previously I never had this issue. In fact, just a couple months back, the game ran fine and booted up at regular times. I don't know why this started happening, and it occurs in loading screens for extended periods of time. It's really agitating, and I can't figure out the source of the issue. It also occurs when i'm in the options screen trying to configure settings, whenever I click a setting option what do you know, Mr. grey overlay appears and I have to wait up to 45 seconds to a minute or maybe even longer depending on how it feels for it to readjust itself. If anybody is having this same issue or perhaps could shed some light as to why this is occurring and what I could do to fix it, I'd be greatly appreciative.

Did you ever figure out a solution, sounds like something similar that's happening to me. Switching from full-screen to windowed mode.
    Also when increasing/decreasing Fov or opening Options in full-screen. I get either a grey screen or a grey border.
    Filed a ticket but nothing we tried worked. x.x
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    edited July 3, 2018
    Been having those too. Now i can't change channels/use options or log in while using fullscreen because screen starts flashing grey an black colors.. My bf also has it too. We both got it at one of these recent win10 updates.
  • AgentJeanAgentJean
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,775
    I started getting this issue today after Windows 10 was upgraded to 1803.
    I'm running the same Nvidia driver(398.36) today as I was yesterday(and days before when I didn't have this problem)

I'm suspecting something with the 1803 Windows update
  • AgentJeanAgentJean
    I rolled back to Win10 1709 and I no longer get the gray screen when Alt-tabbing, changing from Windowed to Full Screen, ect
  • acoldwallacoldwall
    Mabinogi Rep: 605
    Same here, Did the Win10 update last night and completely screwed up the Mabi client. Rolled back and good as new. Don't update Win10 folks!
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    edited July 18, 2018
    Too bad, i won't be able to do a rollback and i'm pretty sure some people won't/can't too. I hope it will get fixed or maybe will get fixed by itself after another Win10 update.
  • MisuchanMisuchan
    Mabinogi Rep: 800
    I too have been having this issue and have gone through a rather long set of troubleshooting with players, support staff and even myself (I use to work in IT)... After all that someone mentioned to me the Win10 update and I immediately facedesked... My system force updated before I change the group policies to FORCE windows to not update. I will try a rollback... Support suggested I buy a new monitor... I am doing that anyway as I want HDMI but really it is seeming more like this is a issue involving the most recent Windows updates. I will roll back and let folks know the result. Though considering it is not just me having this issue I am going to send support this thread so they can escalate this up to someone who might be able to actually fix this since its not an issue with my setup as if there are like ten people with the same problem; it is not me. Plus some form of grey screen has been happening in full screen for years anyway so there is that.
  • MoroaicaMoroaica
    Any of you guys experiencing this problem happen to be running Mabinogi from Steam by chance? If so, try doing a fresh install with the Nexon version and see if it helps any. Here's why:

When the issue started happening, tech support suggested I use the Nexon Launcher which did not help - at the time, so I went back to using Steam. When G21 was first released, the problem increased in frequency and I ended up switching back to the Nexon Launcher out of sheer frustration. During the installation process, I noticed it installed something different the second time around. It progressed so quickly that I didn't catch what was installing, but I think it may have to do with either Direct-X and/or something that may be missing from the Steam version because I have had only one issue using the Nexon Launcher (I got the "out of memory" message after beating an Outlaw boss with a 400% SM crystal, so a memory leak is a possible bug). Granted I've been running it in windowed mode so I do other tasks on the other monitors, but I have not had any issues with the white, grey or black screens that I was plagued with before. Over the weekend, I re-downloaded Mabi on Steam just to see if the problems resumed... Unsurprisingly the problems did resurface.

My educated guess is that Mabinogi does not uninstall itself completely from Steam and the issue lies somewhere within residual files, configuration and/or registry entries; or that Mabi is not getting the support for the Steam version as it does with the Nexon Launcher.
  • MoroaicaMoroaica
    edited July 26, 2018
    Moroaica wrote: »
    Over the weekend, I re-downloaded Mabi on Steam just to see if the problems resumed... Unsurprisingly the problems did resurface.

UPDATE: I wanted to test Mabinogi again on Steam by downloading it to another drive. It was working just fine using the same settings stored in the registry, until I tried to change channels.

Until something gets fixed, it looks like I'm stuck using the Nexon Launcher to play the game... unless something goes wrong with that too.
  • AgentJeanAgentJean
    Nexon version has the same problem with Win 10 1803.

I suspect Microsoft changed something with game mode that's breaking things.
  • MoroaicaMoroaica
    AgentJean wrote: »
    Nexon version has the same problem with Win 10 1803.

I suspect Microsoft changed something with game mode that's breaking things.

That is strange since the Nexon Launcher seems to be working for me
    so far... *knock on wood*
    with Win 10 v.1803.

Is it possible these issues I am experiencing with the Steam version is due to both the Steam client and Mabi being installed on separate drives (without having been reinstalled following my OS drive crash), and not 'fresh' as with the Nexon Launcher? Either way, I do run game repairs on the Nexon version every time I play and it does download files - just as Steam had. I just have no idea which files area being replaced on either version.