Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

On the subject of being warned

Comments

• ShoogShoog
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,535
    Zephyrmaru wrote: »
    You know what, my bad. Sorry, thanks for taking the time to clean it.

Transparency helps people from making assumptions, but obviously my assumptions here were wrong and for that I apologize.

I'm sorry it took a bit before it was placed back into the General section. Normally it's done in a timely manner, but sometimes there can be a delay when we have to wait for advice, help, approval, etc before any changes/action can be made.
    Hellkaizer wrote: »
    make the edit and bold the section they edited (or some other kind of stand out-ish thing), then at the bottom of the comment go

EDIT: explanation of the correction so that the action is not repeated in the future and reminder that there will be consequences for repeating these actions
    ~[NAME OF MOD]

So we don't have this issue in the first place. Sure it's more work for the vfms, but that's just it, volunteer if it's too much work then step down and let someone else who will do it step up.

Thank you for your concern. Feedback is good. In regards to Zephy's thread, it was placed into a hidden section for review/cleanup, and then a post was made to it by me after it was moved back.

In regards to moderation notices in general, just because you don't see one, doesn't always mean that it wasn't done.

Sometimes a comment isn't made publicly but rather a PM could be sent to the forumer when something gets moderated. This allows for privacy to the person who's being moderated instead of "calling them out" openly on the forum. At times, a notice can be made within a thread or a comment can be stated within the moderated post. Then there are times when it's obvious as to why something has been moderated.

Additionally, we lost a couple VFMs last year and only recently got some new ones. There had also been some moderation testing/changes going on this past year. Some worked, some didn't.

If anyone ever has any questions, concerns, or feedback involving moderation or even general forum questions, they're welcome and encouraged to contact a moderator here on the forum. We can also be reached on Discord in the Unofficial Mabinogi Discord server.
    MissFortune
  • ZephyrmaruZephyrmaru
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,430
    The only thing that bothers me about the whole "contact a moderator" thing is that my mind can't really wrap around the idea of telling a person if you don't like what their doing. If they're not on a power trip, they'd be able to solve this publicly within minutes. If they are, they obviously don't care and messaging isn't helping. How many threads do we have where people are pointing out the bias, but for some reason it falls on us to prove it to the mod in power instead of vice versa?

Multiple people here think a specific vfm is being biased and striking certain people unfairly. And to be clear, I don't mind being striked if I say something out of bounds. What I mind is saying something bad about a certain vfm and them striking me 20 minutes later on another thread that very obviously wasn't out of bounds. How am I supposed to trust that? These forums have a history of that exact bias and power trip before, so we're not being unreasonable in being wary of it now either.
  • HellkaizerHellkaizer
    Mabinogi Rep: 11,305
    In cases of threads being removed and notices from mods when the thread is returned, I'd imagine it wouldn't be too difficult to mention in a new thread "In regard to [title of thread removed], there has been an increasing amount of dialect that will be cleaned by moderators then returned once all of the offending comments in question are reviewed. Please do not remake this thread as it will be returning. Threads that revive this topic will be treated as spam and deleted. Further details may be released depending on the verdict."

At the end of the day, people just want more understanding of what is going on. You mentioned moderation testing and changes that have been taking place, and as a community we definitely feel it. Except we don't know what's actually changing, so we don't know how to respond appropriately. It then festers paranoia that's really unneeded.
  • AquasolAquasol
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,465
    Member, Volunteer Forum Moderator
    The only thing that bothers me about the whole "contact a moderator" thing is that my mind can't really wrap around the idea of telling a person if you don't like what their doing. If they're not on a power trip, they'd be able to solve this publicly within minutes. If they are, they obviously don't care and messaging isn't helping. How many threads do we have where people are pointing out the bias, but for some reason it falls on us to prove it to the mod in power instead of vice versa?

We welcome constructive criticism, and obviously not everyone is going to like us(it would be foolish to think anyone at all would). We’re not perfect, and there are always opportunities to learn and grow.

Not sure what you’re referring to with a “solution within minutes”, but some situations are complex, and need time to be understood(with context) and weighed. And of course, that’s on top of other duties we may have, whether relating to here or in our personal lives.

Something not disappearing because you don’t like it, or disappearing despite you liking it, isn’t indicative of bias, and that’s something important to keep in mind.
    Multiple people here think a specific vfm is being biased and striking certain people unfairly. And to be clear, I don't mind being striked if I say something out of bounds. What I mind is saying something bad about a certain vfm and them striking me 20 minutes later on another thread that very obviously wasn't out of bounds. How am I supposed to trust that? These forums have a history of that exact bias and power trip before, so we're not being unreasonable in being wary of it now either.

Well, warnings and their reasons are logged, and may not happen immediately after the offense(s) occur, but each and every one is subject to a review by the staff and moderation team.
    Hellkaizer wrote: »
    In cases of threads being removed and notices from mods when the thread is returned, I'd imagine it wouldn't be too difficult to mention in a new thread "In regard to [title of thread removed], there has been an increasing amount of dialect that will be cleaned by moderators then returned once all of the offending comments in question are reviewed. Please do not remake this thread as it will be returning. Threads that revive this topic will be treated as spam and deleted. Further details may be released depending on the verdict."

What you’re asking for, in my opinion, is a bit excessive for something that may not even be seen by anyone, nor understood for what could be a matter of minutes. Having to announce every single action taken, in great detail no less, would clutter up the forums. We will provide as much information as we can, however.
  • ZephyrmaruZephyrmaru
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,430
    edited August 3, 2018
    You can't possibly say that you're being peer reviewed by the staff if you're able to strike a message and issue a warning on something that's not even an hour old.
    A- There's plenty of toxic, reported things on these forums that aren't touched so the forums should be lax on the rules.
    B- You're striking things that aren't that bad, so when the more toxic stuff happens it should be smited in less than an hour.

You also can't accuse me of mistaking bias for personal feelings if I'm not the only one complaining and pointing out this same issue. The fact you implied that is honestly insulting, considering that the reason I left the original forums was because an ex-mod was bullying someone in the Art Section. I'm not a super nice person, but I'd like to believe that no matter if I'm right or wrong I will call myself out on being a _____ if I see I came to the wrong conclusion.
    GretaHellkaizerSherriSebastian
  • BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,425
    edited August 9, 2018
    @Zephyrmaru

It was my fault that your thread was temporarily removed, it seems. I posted an image that included profanity that was uncensored, and was thusly warned for my transgression. I apologize. :(

Wild.png

I even got upgraded past mild for my raucous behavior...I am Wild now! :/
    MizukiHayamaJazmynlethalvirusImaizumiSherri
  • lethalviruslethalvirus
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,720
    I'm curious what is the next pokemon evolution after WILD ?
  • BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,425

thinks.png
    KensamaofmariIAAWImaizumilethalvirusSherri
  • lethalviruslethalvirus
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,720

thinks.png

lmao