I think, just bear with me a moment here, it is very difficult no matter what you do, to appeal to everybody.No, I know that the idiot Merlin was sadly important to the Story. I'm just saying that they picked the wrong character. The game didn't appeal to the entire player base.
Did you miss the part where he's literally the greatest mage who ever lived combined with donte from DmC?There is hundreads of NPC's but they settled for the least important, least wanted character. Maybe if Merlin didn't act like he is 13 and seeing a girl for the first time, his character would be better, but I swear the whole time it seemed like he was hitting on my character.
Jokes on you I actually like white haired mahou shounen DONTE.And if there was never any intimate relations with Merlin, why would he act like there was? Why say anything at all. It was uncomfortable because it wasn't a girl saying Jokes like that. I just don't like Merlin, and I don't know anyone who does!
I see that you are either missing information, uninformed, ignorant, living in the past, or just not up to speed, combination of any of them included.Summary for people who lack the insight to understand why the full package reading is important: AFK events are abominations that wear down the game and only encourage more Gold-Farmer/Exploiter mentality players to log on 15 accounts, AFK, win everything repeatedly, destroy the value of items relevant to said event, then waste the time of devoted players because they'd of had the SAME OUTCOME if they'd just had AFK'd or played. This is a bad event model. STOP. USING. IT. EXCLUSIVELY. This model should NEVER be used as the sole basis of 'how to get said event item'.
While I'm big on giving everybody the same thing, there have been many issues in the past. One of them is with the hot time events. They used to be you HAD to be online at a certain time to get the item. If you weren't, Well you were out of luck. The only possible way to abuse this other than obviously having multiple accounts online via any numerous dubious and flat out illegal methods was an error within the server (the two channel clusters ages back used to eventually become desynced. Ch1-3 would be ahead/behind of Ch4-7. You could actually change channels to the one behind and get twice the items. Safe to say this happened only once or twice.)
Let's first address player types before I get into the meat of this we have Casuals (2-4 days played a week), Regulars (5+ days played a week), Extreme Casuals (Less than 4x a month.), Merchant Alts (AFK to keep stores open, ignore them), Exploiters/Gold Farmers (Read above, this model of player should be banned and frankly they're cancer in a otherwise very very promising MMO).
THE AFKING ISSUE
Q.) Why cancel the AFK-Event Model?
A.) Simple, the risk/reward to this... doesn't exist. There's no alternate sources, the model rewards round-about-dubious means. This means no amount of player skill in playing legit (1 player, 1 character, playing the game) will award you more, no. The reward comes in how much you want to abuse/exploit the intended play style and how many computers you own, or just how crazy strong your fewer PCs are.
I will say that sticking onto a single channel is a downside to it. However if it was fixable, chances are it would have been a while ago. People who run shops or advertising signs are no stranger to having to sit on one channel however. This is a tough point to actually fix or contest in all honesty.
Q.) Is there a GOOD application for the AFK rewarding?
A.) Certainly, no idea is a bad idea, it's all about how you work it into the system and how it's balanced, even ridiculous things can be beneficial. (Look at 2D link walking on walls) However, if a person is to have a model where CCing/Relogging resets your timer, AFKing instantly becomes preferable (Channel locked). If this is already preferable then it becomes that much more 'salt in the wound' for a true player that these gold-farmer mentality types are getting Twice, Thrice, Or even x20 the reward we are each reward phase. That said, it should never be the sole method of acquisition.
Even when there aren't AFK events the game feels more empty than Fallout. This is coming from someone on mari, the literal afk with your fashion out server.Q.) Why are AFK-Exclusive events on the whole bad? Isn't it just more rewards for more people with the means?
A.) Try finding a dungeon IG just wandering around some time, you'll be met by a veritable wasteland of players who never respond, never notice your efforts to communicate, never adventure with you. A huge appeal of mabinogi is it's a low-resource MMO so many people are able to play it that may not be able to play more modern games; that means our niche is wider thanks to that. If you have people seeming like statues and silent non-entities then the game will feel dead and lonely, as if you turned on a single player where the other "Party Member Viables" are lifeless and idle. Other events encourage more team work, playing, and general fun -- these draw in larger numbers which means lag for us real players.
Nexon RNG is based so you never win. Also the way the bingo is coded is made to make players rip their hair out. It doesn't roll 1-5 and spin it 360 degrees before a separate calc for where it lands, it just rolls 1-25 and psuedo-spins. And again, the rewards for the bingo are actually fairly decent, but if they were given coin-hunting from previous bingos, without pots to pretty much water it down to nothing it'd be oh-so-exploitable to folks who like grinding to hell and back for these things.THE NEVER WIN ISSUE
- Many existing events, this bingo roulette one in particular suffer from a disease many online games suffer where their RNG is infact, not at all like real life chance. Rather than a 1/6 chance to roll a 6 on a six sided die, on mabinogi it's more akin to a 1/42, and the game even goes out of it's way to help you fail, it wants you grinding. This means...
- You may not ever actually achieve your event goal, or it may take obscene measures (300+ bingo coins) to fill a board ONCE. But it's not just bad because of the unpredictable RNG...
- You may get 'numbers' you've drawn before... FOREVER. This exists in a lot of the events in a lot of varied ways, for many events it's just repeatedly getting HP Potion 30's or equal item almost every draw, versus say... Bingo removing 9's after you get 9 until the next card, Box-events refusing 'repeat rewards' within the next 5 draws (If you get a HP 30, you cant for 4-5 more boxes, inverse same would be true of wings/rares back to back being gone).
- As covered extensively above, if someones AFKing and getting a total of even 5:1 coin ratio to you, they're still winning 5x as much, for 0 effort or reason aside from reasons FEW other game-devs would consider acceptable. (Most games call what they do 'Botting'.)
- This event is SO rigged to AFKers, SO rigged in terms of the "Lets give you the same # again!" and SO hopeless feeling, I logged out to play Pacman 256 after the 15th hour of trying to get TWO numbers, when I had already acquired every possible number on the list, 'except them'. Does this sound like a review that encourages more of these? P.S - Pacman 256 causes me high blood pressure, so you REALLY need to evaluate your event model if im choosing that.
- Events that require activity, even mini-games, Fate board game, protect dunbarton, Unique Shadow mission spams, the SAO tower event, etc.. etc... *even the old amazing race*, all encouraged rewards based on effort and 'PLAYING'.
- Events that encourage playing make the game more alive, encourage team work, and encourage a more vibrant community, AFKing alone will 'NEVER' do this.
- Events that encourage playing discourage Gold-Farmer mentality sorts, since the AI for the Bots often times isn't quite up to snuff, and there should STILL be a gachapon rewarding system for ban-reporting these cysts.