Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

The Altruist Experience

Comments

• RheyRhey
    Mabinogi Rep: 10,175
    Clovis15 wrote: »
    Just because someone CAN solo something - which I've done before in the 4-Man Grandmaster Mission, but would really rather not - doesn't mean a few extra-people won't: 1) Make it go infinitely-faster, 2) Greatly alleviate the repair-bill afterwards,

Am I the only who feels it's faster to solo 4-man GM with RC+LR or LB+LR. Nexon shuld gave enuf free stun pets to buy u some time to set up inbetween waves. :*

a PUG 4-man GM was quite messy 4 me and a contributor 2 death counts. :(
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    Buffalos wrote: »
    Hardmuscle wrote: »
    Banned for what? Did I miss something? I can see it if they were swearing at and/or harassing someone, but that's the only time. As much as I hate rude people; I understand they have that right (the right to be a rude prude dude). No one can force people to be nice. ~ It's a fact of life. :smirk:

Telling someone to kill themself goes beyond rude, to be honest. Those types of things should never be tolerated because "this isn't harassment because it only happened once." There is a reason why the Terms have a clause saying rules can be open to a moderator's discretion.

I was once banned from the old forums for telling someone to kys. It became understandable because it is something very extreme to say to anyone. I mean what if the person asking for help doesn't have any friends? What if they are depressed? There is some history of players on here killing themselves over bs that happens on here. We should never tolerate this and shrug it off as free speech. While speech is free, some things we say can come at a price.
  • BuffalosBuffalos
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,795
    Greta wrote: »
    You shouldn't take such messages seriously. Just ignore. That's internet for you.

I bet whoever wrote that is either 11-15 years old edgy kid, who thinks it's totally cool and okay to type such things or 16 years and above players who like to troll/have serious personality disorders.

I'd much rather teach an edgy teenager that such speech isn't appreciated anywhere early on. Same for the other people who live off edge lord stuff like this. Perhaps they can learn as well.
  • EraleaEralea
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,890
    I'm in a guild full of adult Australians and "kys" is a regular greeting there, along with many other words I can't type here because they would offend American sensibilities (if Americans understood them in the first place - I've found that they usually don't).

Not being an Australian myself, I theorise that their harsh and barbaric environment forces them to grow up more... gnarly... than most other human civilisations.

I'm 99% sure that if I asked them to run 4p GM/Lords with me they would reply "kys" but join the mission anyway.
    [Deleted User]
  • Clovis15Clovis15
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,780
    edited October 10, 2017
    @Hardmuscle

I was honestly about to ask what KYS stood for myself as well, because I've literally never seen the abbreviation before, and only found out from reading what other people said in response. I agree, it's really not immediately obvious - and you were only asking what you'd missed - so the snapping wasn't called for.

@Eralea

I suspect if the person in question - of whom Nilrem interacted with - still helped afterwards, we likely wouldn't have ever seen this thread created.
    [Deleted User]
  • EraleaEralea
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,890
    Yeah, the context is more important than the words themselves IMO
    [Deleted User]BuffalosImaizumi
  • BuffalosBuffalos
    Eralea wrote: »
    I'm in a guild full of adult Australians and "kys" is a regular greeting there, along with many other words I can't type here because they would offend American sensibilities (if Americans understood them in the first place - I've found that they usually don't).

I know several Austrians from a number of online communities, and while I can attest to the very colorful language they often use I have never once heard them use kys in a friendly/sarcastic manner. Granted they probably aren't the ones you know, but there is still a great difference between interactions with close friends and complete strangers.

[Deleted User]
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn

Not being an Australian myself, I theorise that their harsh and barbaric environment forces them to grow up more... gnarly... than most other human civilisations.

I'm 99% sure that if I asked them to run 4p GM/Lords with me they would reply "kys" but join the mission anyway.

Actually I consider Australia to be one of the top 10 libtard nations in the world.
    [Deleted User]
  • ImaizumiImaizumi
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,225
    The rise of that abbreviation is one of my most abhorred things on the internet as of recently. It goes beyond rude and is basically a death threat in some circumstances imo. I miss the days when people would tell other people to uninstall because they're "bad" or something :/ such blissful times gone and replaced Q.Q
    courtneyy
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    edited October 10, 2017
    @Gaea
    Gaea wrote: »
    libtard
    The above word offends me more than being told to kill myself. That's not even a joke (despite maniacal laughter in the background while I file my saw). Do you by any chance own a Thesaurus (e.g. Roget's Thesaurus)? Do you live near a library? I sure hope you're sitting down (and the kids are asleep) right now. :smirk:

Synonyms for Conservative: bourgeois, cautious, constant, controlled, conventional, die-hard, fearful, firm, fogyish, fuddy-duddy, guarded, hard hat, hidebound, holding to, illiberal, inflexible, middle-of-the-road, not extreme, obstinate, old guard, old-line, orthodox, quiet, red-neck, right, right-wing, timid, traditional, traditionalistic, unchangeable, unchanging, uncreative, undaring, unimaginative, unprogressive, white bread.

Synonyms for Ultraconservative: Tory, bitter-ender, counterrevolutionary, die-hard, hard hat, intransigent, mossbacked, obscurantist, reactionist, right-winger, rightist, royalist, standpatter, traditionalist, Philistine*, convinced, dyed-in-the-wool, extremist (note that "not extreme" above has now veered to "extreme"), firm, fogyish, immovable, old-line, orthodox, reactionary, standpat, unreconstructed, Bourbon**, fanatic, fogy, fundamentalist, old liner, praetorian***, pullback, reactionary, stick-in-the-mud, zealot. * "Philistine" in this sense means: a. A smug, ignorant, especially middle-class person who is regarded as being indifferent or antagonistic to artistic and cultural values. b. One who lacks knowledge in a specific area. c. Boorishly uncultured. ** "Bourbon" in this sense means: A sociopolitical reactionary, especially a southern Democrat with highly conservative views; an extreme conservative; an opponent of progress or liberalism. *** "praetorian" in this sense means: abased, baneful, boorish, degenerate, degraded, deleterious, depraved, dishonored, dissolute, evil, flagitious, infamous, loose, low, mercenary, miscreant, monstrous, nefarious, perverse, profligate, rotten, venal, villainous, bent, bribable, crooked, debauched, double-dealing, exploiting, extortionate, faithless, fast and loose, fixed, foul, fraudulent, gone to the dogs, inconstant, iniquitous, knavish, on the take, open, padded, perfidious, profiteering, racket up, reprobate, rotten, shady, snide, suborned, tainted, treacherous, two-faced, underhanded, unethical, unfaithful, unprincipled, unscrupulous, untrustworthy, wide open.

Synonyms for Liberal: advanced, avant-garde, big, broad, broad-minded, detached, dispassionate, enlightened, flexible, free, general, high-minded, humanistic, humanitarian, impartial, interested, left, lenient, libertarian, loose, magnanimous, not literal, not strict, permissive, radical, rational, reasonable, receiving, receptive, reformist, tolerant, unbiased, unbigoted, unconventional, understanding, unorthodox, unprejudiced.

:lol:

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd I triggered a wall of text. Mission success.

I knew YOU would respond. Thanks for the lols. XD
    [Deleted User]Veylaine
  • BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,425

What?

While I think we are overreacting to a lazy synonym as if it a proactive reasoning why one should kill themselves, the offense is somewhat reasonable, since many do not realize that "Kys" may be an Australian greeting, but a lackluster attempt to irritate.

To me, ignorance is a two way street, and if anything, Australians should subscribe to how their words and greetings my be interpreted on the wider range of the internet. This to me seems to border on common sense, if anything, considering most people here are not mostly Americans and Europeans, but also the pervasive internet language in predominantly English communities take place over culturally specific traditions.

If one causes a misunderstanding, the blame can be on the one who made the statement due to their ignorance, and is not precisely the fault of said person misunderstanding, though I must agree that while there are emotionally fragile people on the internet, and common ways to upset many individuals, that "KYS", while rude, isn't as worst one can make it out to be. Still, the common context online I believe, overrules all. Essentially, the commonly known definition may be initially wrong, but there comes a point when it does become the "correct" definition.

Also, I could spout angrily about the delicate nature of how Australia censors certain forms of art, but I digress.

Jeez, I feel like talking today. Hope I do not offend anyone. :(
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Gaea wrote: »
    Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd I triggered a wall of text. Mission success.
    :trollface:

I won't. I have better things to do. ^_^
    [Deleted User]
  • NilremNilrem
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,880

What did you say to that person? Merlin!! What did you say to them? :grey_question: :smirk:

Literally pressed the "ask for help" button and got that response. Nothing else said back.
    Nothing provoked. And yes, this is that guy. From that locked topic.
    The one I shared the name of privately to you about.

To be honest, I made this topic as more of a joke about the system as a whole.
    If I wanted to bring attention to what said person did, I would mention things like running up to Tara alter, and
    going "You don't have anyone in your party? LOLOLOLOL" and then leaving. Among other things.

And the entire time, I just sat there, trying to do that one lord run. Silently.

For 2 hours straight.

Until 4 others finally came and the run happened and I got my grandmaster badge for the day.

I'm honestly surprised this topic is taken as seriously as this.
    I even meme'd in the OP.
    [Deleted User]
  • BuffalosBuffalos
    Austria (Austrians) and Australia (Australians) are 8,825 miles apart (14,203km). :expressionless: :smirk:

foj69WK.png

Dang, I've been had.
    LeiliciaBlissfulkill[Deleted User]
  • lidiyalidiya
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,325
    edited October 11, 2017
    To the OP making a thread like this as a joke isn't a good choice as if they saw the initial post they probably got their jollies laughing thinking they hurt your feelings. If they see it this will probably also only make them worst as they see they are upsetting people as people who usually send that kind of stuff get off on upsetting others.
  • RaishiiRaishii
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,245
    The real altruists are the ones that help outside of the system.
  • GTCvActiumGTCvActium
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,125
    I'm not quite sure what sever this is on but I haven't seen any of this kind of behavior in Mari. Most of the time people just ask for the channel and location before porting over, running the mission/quest and then disappearing into the night like some kind of colorful Batman. Additionally the request is usually filled out pretty fast since I had to use the quest hotkey to respond faster for requests. Also the experience isn't really the fault of them system since it is only providing a place for people to put up a request for help. Though, I recommend that you send the request out at a busier time when more players are on. I like to believe that people willing to help far outweigh those that are just looking to hurt people.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Nilrem wrote: »

What did you say to that person? Merlin!! What did you say to them? :grey_question: :smirk:

Literally pressed the "ask for help" button and got that response. Nothing else said back.
    Nothing provoked. And yes, this is that guy. From that locked topic.
    The one I shared the name of privately to you about.

To be honest, I made this topic as more of a joke about the system as a whole.
    If I wanted to bring attention to what said person did, I would mention things like running up to Tara alter, and
    going "You don't have anyone in your party? LOLOLOLOL" and then leaving. Among other things.

And the entire time, I just sat there, trying to do that one lord run. Silently.

For 2 hours straight.

Until 4 others finally came and the run happened and I got my grandmaster badge for the day.

I'm honestly surprised this topic is taken as seriously as this.
    I even meme'd in the OP.

Well you didn't even say lol or any smidgen of indication that this was humorous to you. People will assume the worse when presented with stuff like this. And either way, we still need to discourage toxic behavior on here, especially the Altruist system. I have already stated my opinions on the matter. Please elaborate more on your threads, because honestly I am with these other guys - you were curious what kind of reactions this was going incite. So I hope you're satisfied.

-pat pat-
  • dorinnadorinna
    Mabinogi Rep: 845
    On our server Ruiri we cant push button fast enough to help .And only time i dont try is if i am doing life skills like makeing bows it takes awhile. I havent seen any one make bad comment but some do leave when they find out what it is or if they have to cc to help. On a new alt i have had to ask for help a few times and never had any problems it fills up fast o g quests.