Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Acquiring Chain Slash skills

HellkaizerHellkaizer
Mabinogi Rep: 11,305
edited December 22, 2017 in General Chat
I've seen this opinion stated numerous times lately, and instead of derailing other threads I'll make this one. What is your overall thoughts on getting the skills? I'll provide my opinion as well.

I honestly liked them a lot. It gave me a feeling of accomplishment for getting and unlocking these skills early and for the most part I had a lot of fun. I think people are way too used to having new skills come out, and then just be handed them. Look at ninja, guns, even as far back as puppets and fighter all of those were quick storylines that gave us instant access to all the skills (or near instant anyway). Maybe it's because I'm an older player, but back in the day when magic pages were rare seeing something with ice spear wasn't very common. Ice spear, Fireball, Thunder, Arrow revolver, and Shock are all page collection quests as well, and I don't think I've ever heard major complaints with those. Why does all content need to be accessible to new players right away? There's so many other games where you can't use certain classes, or do skill questlines right away. You can get the base class skills pretty easily but not all of them. Now of course I do think some of the quests and objectives are really poorly thought out.

Dorcha crystal 1: The drop rate on this one is really high, but you do need the coil pass itself I liked this one

Dorcha crystal 2: With limited ancients, and rabbie phantasm being the only drop sources, the drop rate is way too low. 5 runs of phantasm, not a single drop and I've killed around 200 ancients without getting one. This is absurd as said activities took just under ~14 hours, and I ended up buying one.

Dorcha crystal 3: Get it quicker by doing a lord mission, or just afk fish overnight. Probably one of the easiest to get.

Dorcha crystal 4: It's 50k at Fleta. Don't really have anything else to say.

Dorcha crystal 5: While tedious it wasn't too bad took me 12 runs of peaca basic but you can do barri instead if you're lower level.

Dorcha crystal 6: Easy to kill, not bad drop rate but the spawn of them was pretty limited the first few days, but that's to be expected.

Death Mark
Can be done in a party if you're on the weaker side, not too long but a decent challenge. Didn't like running back to the quest giver after every objective though.

Dorcha Conversion
Waiting for Rua was annoying, but the quest itself was fine and didn't take very long.

Chain Burst
High skill reqs, but a fairly common drop and very simple quest, not much else to say. Didn't love it, didn't hate it.

Bachram Explosion
The page hunt for the most part was fun, and you can just buy the pages you're missing if you really hate the baltane missions. The next part of this, which is the quest was very stupid. You need to achieve bachram boost 10 times why? Just to make us wait long periods of time for no real reason, and getting a squire to likability 5 seems pointless too, but easy enough. ( I know it has story reasons) on top of all this you need to kill 50 baltane mobs while IN bachram boost, again a time gate taking forever for no reason. I liked the pages part of this, but the rest was rubbish.

Raging Spike
A lot of RNG getting outfits from boxes, and you need to wait until their birthday to gift it to them, meaning the quickest we can get this skill is Tuesday. This quest feels like a last minute addition and time gates for the only reason being a time gate.

To me getting the skills has been a breath of mostly fresh air, and I enjoyed it.

EDIT: made a typo on the poll, 1 is lowest not zero. Apologies.
Caterexpawcalypse
  1. How do you feel about the updates? 0 Being "I hated all of it" 10 Being "It was perfect"56 votes
    1. 1
       11% (6 votes)
    2. 2
       5% (3 votes)
    3. 3
       9% (5 votes)
    4. 4
       7% (4 votes)
    5. 5
       9% (5 votes)
    6. 6
       14% (8 votes)
    7. 7
       13% (7 votes)
    8. 8
       18% (10 votes)
    9. 9
       5% (3 votes)
    10. 10
       9% (5 votes)

Comments

• SaiSai
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,785
    I gave it an 8. I love the new skills. I like that you have to actually work for them in some way. The story was ok.
    But I hate the RNG so much. The RNG is horrible.
  • Radiant DawnRadiant Dawn
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,195
    i put an 8. i also enjoying myself with the chain blade skill/quest etc etc. only problem is what you already said which was them requirement are bit on the lulz side but all in all i think its fine. i actually have something to do to keep me occupied for some time at least instead of finishing the whole skill set in a few days or whatever. i dont mind the challenge but dont make is annoying and time consuming at the same time. but to each they own i suppose. could be done better buuut eh, i wont be picky about it and accept it.
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    Would have voted 10 before Baltane Missions came, but after that... It dropped to 8 now. Missions are boring and annoying, it's like they didn't have any better ideas on how to make monsters more challenging to kill so instead they added some fast af ones. Potato servers and latency clearly makes it even worse... I could buy these four pages and needed boxes for squires, but i don't really wanna overpay for something that is added permanently... I guess i will need to spam these cancerous missions anyway...
    RonnyX
  • MiunaMiuna
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,705
    I think it's ok to have to work for skills, I even remember the hard grinding I did for my AR pages back in the day and all but this time quests aren't even "newbie friendly" while the talent shows on the tab with talents recommended for beginners and I find that as an extremly wrong decision.
    Also whatever is the rates for crystals and pages, it feels like way harder and more random than all the magic pages etc. Also the fact that Baltane missions are for level 60+ and things like having to give the outfits to the squires in a concrete day (some people plays only the weekends for example) just adds up to how it sorts of feel like they made it harder than it should really be and no, I'm not asking for it to be go, hit a mob and get your drop (which can actually happen lol).
    Overall and even with all the cons, I actually have fun with this new talent but... just that, the talent. Eiren's story was nice to read and all but quests for skills are just plain annoying, regardless how doable they can or can't be.
    CaterexImaizumi
  • SiodhanSiodhan
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,825
    It's a 6 from me. If it wasn't for the dumb as hell game design on dorcha cystal #2 and #6, it would have been an 8 or 9. I liked most of it, but that was so ridiculously dumb.

Also ,still gathering the potential pages because the only times they drop are when the NPCS GET THEM AND I CAN'T PICK THEM UP! ARGH. Again, why such freaking horrible game design? I can not stress that enough.
    FaultyhingeEramyst
  • Daggerpaw12Daggerpaw12
    Mabinogi Rep: 705
    edited December 22, 2017
    Dorcha crystal 2, the pointless time gates, and the fact that the support staff straight up told me that NPC characters were put in Baltane missions for the express purpose of stealing your drops after Bachram page 3 dropped twice in Knights of the Round Table without me being able to pick it up, really left me with a bad taste of this update. It seems like they tried to elongate the update with ridiculous RNG and time gates, but apart from the Dorcha Crystal 2 of Spinning Slasher, Raging Spike and Bachram Explosion quests, the update was good. I'd give it a 5/10. Quest design and story are good for the most part, barring the portions of excessively low drop rates with very high barriers to entry (phantasm for Dorcha 2) and the pointless wait times of Bachram Explosion and Raging Spike. The fact that most of your time will be spent with those last 3 things is why I only give it a 5/10 despite good story quest design for the first 10 skills.
    Eramyst
  • BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,425
    I like the story acquisition and the gaining of spinning slash. Those were a bit more fun than pages. Maybe tweak the drop rates a little, but nothing too hard, honestly.

I greatly appreciate effort>RNG.
  • courtneyycourtneyy
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,435
    I gave it a 3. The only thing that I really like from this update is the "Knights of the Roundtable" mission. It's not too challenging, but not too boring, it keeps me focused and entertained for the duration of the mission. I always look forward to new missions and new dungeons.

As for the actual chain skills... as I figured... they'll just be a bunch of skills in my skill bar @ rank 1 that I'll never use other than for the stat bonuses they give. The only 2 chain skills that I /might/ use on a regular basis are Chain Sweep (AoE) and Chain Impale (1 on 1). I still prefer gunner over chains by far. For me, clearing missions or killing mobs super fast is all I care about these days in mabi and the chains don't attack fast enough for my standards.

Also, I found that gathering the pages and items required for the skills wasn't too bad. It took a little bit of effort, but I feel like if you put your mind to it anyone can gather them. The only thing I disliked about collecting items to obtain the skills is waiting for certain days to turn in outfit boxes to the squires. I could care less about squires. I never use them, they get in the way, and they are useless in the baltane missions. I guess the upside to that is, I'll only have to do it once for the skill and after that I'll never have to look at squires again... at least for a long time. :)

Sidenote, am I the only one who misses ranking skills based on CP (strong, awful, boss)? I dislike this whole gunner, ninja, chain skill ranking process of just mindlessly killing mobs of any cp. :L
  • ShaeliShaeli
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,430
    Can I give it a -5?

SO MUCH HATE.

I hate the missions. I hate repetition in general. I hate having to repeat them 20-30 times just to get the page to drop from a mob one of the squires kills so I can't pick it up. I hate the 0.2% drop rate. I hate how the chests from Round Table refuse to give me outfits instead of useless junk like broken guardian weapons (seriously, I've gotten the whole set). I hate that I've run dungeons 50 times trying to find crystal 5 from dead-end chests and it still won't drop. And I hate that I've killed over 200 ancients and still haven't gotten that crystal either.

AND I NEED THREE. SO. MUCH. HATE.

I have better things to do than fight the RNG for 250 hours.
    courtneyyBlissfulkillGretaSylviaWolfeEramyst
  • courtneyycourtneyy
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,435
    Shaeli wrote: »
    Can I give it a -5?

SO MUCH HATE.

I hate the missions. I hate repetition in general. I hate having to repeat them 20-30 times just to get the page to drop from a mob one of the squires kills so I can't pick it up. I hate the 0.2% drop rate. I hate how the chests from Round Table refuse to give me outfits instead of useless junk like broken guardian weapons (seriously, I've gotten the whole set). I hate that I've run dungeons 50 times trying to find crystal 5 from dead-end chests and it still won't drop. And I hate that I've killed over 200 ancients and still haven't gotten that crystal either.

AND I NEED THREE. SO. MUCH. HATE.

I have better things to do than fight the RNG for 250 hours.

QQ I wish I could trade you the outfit boxes for the broken guardian pieces I have never even gotten one !
  • BuffalosBuffalos
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,795
    edited December 22, 2017
    I really like how they did the first set of three skills. The grind really wasn't that bad (once you got past spawn camping that was happening during the release hype) and it kinda validated people opening dead end chests again.
    The second set of skills, however, is just a glorified attention draw to the Baltane Missions. Like they're cool and all, but I really do not like having to farm RNG drops in a mission that has a time constraint on re-entry. It's a time wall rather than a proper progression wall like dungeon passes are for all the other skills with pages.
    Overall: This is good for people who've been playing the game a while, but not for the beginners they are pushing this talent at.
    d61bf643b2d680e92059d3bba4064e25.png
    Jesus Christ who thought it was a good idea to make a talent where half the skills are locked behind RNG walls in mid-game content should be a "Starter Talent?" Cause it ain't. 7/10
    ImaizumiGretapawcalypseBlissfulkillEramystRonnyX
  • ImaizumiImaizumi
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,225
    Tbh I think they just brainlessly put the new talent in the Starter Talent area because it's the first thing that pops up, so they can advertise "WE GOT NEW COOL STUFF" to both new and returning players (especially the latter I imagine).

It's a terrible idea because it's misleading to actual new players, but I'm sure they also know that many returning players will come back just because of the new talent/update which is why they did it... Except those players would look for it explicitly in other tabs anyway, so why confuse new players? Lexon Nogic :^)

P.S. Ninja used to be in the Starter Talent tab as well even though it wasn't the most friendly beginner talent and I imagine it was for the same reason. New, shiny, and exciting.
    courtneyy
  • TNinjaTNinja
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,265

I never liked the page hunting ever since the Fireball quest was iimplemented, and I certainly don't like how the pages are hidden behind unreasonable missions where lag plays even harder into the outcome.

Still, it's supposedly better than "Clear story, get everything" I guess.
  • ShouKShouK
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,735
    I gave it a 10 just because I made tons of money with it lmao

I'm just annoyed at how they implemented the baltane missions though. If I didn't experience any lag at the time then it's doable, but if I'm lagging it's impossible to do it.

@Hellkaizer Isn't the drop rate 100% though? But unlike other dorcha crystals, you can't get it anymore once you used the crystal.
  • EllisyaEllisya
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,525
    edited December 23, 2017
    Hellkaizer wrote: »
    The next part of this, which is the quest was very stupid. You need to achieve bachram boost 10 times why? Just to make us wait long periods of time for no real reason, and getting a squire to likability 5 seems pointless too, but easy enough. ( I know it has story reasons) on top of all this you need to kill 50 baltane mobs while IN bachram boost, again a time gate taking forever for no reason. I liked the pages part of this, but the rest was rubbish.

3Ad69rZ.jpg

Didn't take me long time to hunt 50 mobs while boost effect is on. Just about hmmm.. 20 minutes? It's not really stupid at all. Only part is that RNG drop rate, other than that, it's totally fine. Throwing a rock to zombies, gather them all, run around, keep throw a rock.... then........

maxresdefault.jpg
    GretapawcalypseShouKRadiant Dawn
  • pawcalypsepawcalypse
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,705
    edited December 23, 2017
    Ellisya wrote: »
    Hellkaizer wrote: »
    The next part of this, which is the quest was very stupid. You need to achieve bachram boost 10 times why? Just to make us wait long periods of time for no real reason, and getting a squire to likability 5 seems pointless too, but easy enough. ( I know it has story reasons) on top of all this you need to kill 50 baltane mobs while IN bachram boost, again a time gate taking forever for no reason. I liked the pages part of this, but the rest was rubbish.

3Ad69rZ.jpg

Didn't take me long time to hunt 50 mobs while boost effect is on. Just about hmmm.. 20 minutes? It's not really stupid at all. Only part is that RNG drop rate, other than that, it's totally fine. Throwing a rock to zombies, gather them all, run around, keep throw a rock.... then........

Thank you so much for that - I manage to kill close to half and I chose the same mission too but the corpses/zombies stopped chasing me after awhile and the Bachram Boost did not come soon enough.
  • ShouKShouK
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,735
    Ellisya wrote: »
    3Ad69rZ.jpg

That's....genius.
  • ApologistApologist
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,205
    WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?

They're such a pain. I also feel bad for people who have a life and/or want to try out the skills but can't solo Balt. missions. The market prices to gather everything ain't helping either. :#
  • FayeKaibaFayeKaiba
    Mabinogi Rep: 10,670
    Because this is not the first time we have had skills like this. Shock/Int Magics/AR/Ace skills.
  • ApologistApologist
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,205
    edited December 27, 2017
    They aren't as bad as chains stuff tho. Since they have assistance/workaround. Plus market prices are reasonable. Not so much with chain. :(