Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

On the subject of being warned

Comments

• KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    Hardmuscle wrote: »
    @Aquasol ~ You removed a perfectly harmless video (the whole entire post), from a thread about literally nothing, in the Town Square? Is this a forum still, or did it become a community operated jail at some point in time? Prison Message Facility for the Mentally Unstable? What purpose does this thread serve anymore? (Moderation is one thing. Going on a power trip is a whole entirely different thing).

Could be worse, could be the White House.
    [Deleted User]
  • AquasolAquasol
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,465
    Member, Volunteer Forum Moderator
    Hardmuscle wrote: »
    @Aquasol ~ You removed a perfectly harmless video (the whole entire post), from a thread about literally nothing, in the Town Square? Is this a forum still, or did it become a community operated jail at some point in time? Prison Message Facility for the Mentally Unstable? What purpose does this thread serve anymore? (Moderation is one thing. Going on a power trip is a whole entirely different thing).

Firstly, I’ll ask you kindly to please not levy accusations in an attempt to start something or derail a thread. No one is having a power trip here.

Secondly, this is a thread that, for the record, was split from another under the subject of discussing a warning. Some deviation from things is okay, but turning it into something akin to the Last Post Wins thread is not just a big deviation, but outright spam.

Incidentally, that’s exactly where the posts are, and have been. Please be more mindful in the future; if you have any questions or concerns, you are free to message me here or on Discord.
    Sorry for being off topic.
    But on topic, in terms of warnings. Do those stay forever, or do they wear off over time?
  • AquasolAquasol
    Sorry for being off topic.
    But on topic, in terms of warnings. Do those stay forever, or do they wear off over time?

That’s a good question. While they can be lowered or removed for good behavior, I’m sure, as far as I know there’s no timer on warnings.
    KensamaofmariSherri
  • HellkaizerHellkaizer
    Mabinogi Rep: 11,305
    I honestly don't know why aqua is a mod for mabi forums.

Started off vindictus VFM then came to mabi forums and starting moving/deleting/merging etc posts and the "moderating" was very clearly biased as well.
    Hellkaizer wrote: »

Started off vindictus VFM then came to mabi forums and starting moving/deleting/merging etc posts and the "moderating" was very clearly biased as well.

In these days, it is not easy to moderate fairly without being called out for bias for every little thing unfortunately.
  • HellkaizerHellkaizer
    edited July 31, 2018

In these days, it is not easy to moderate fairly without being called out for bias for every little thing unfortunately.

I've moderated for other games/forums so I'm aware of this however... People are wary because of how bad it was on the old forums. I would like to believe everyone has matured a bit since then, and we don't have a repeat of the old forums.

First impressions matter a lot, especially when said person is a position of authority as well.

I've moderated for other games/forums so I'm aware of this however... People are wary because of how bad it was on the old forums. I would like to believe everyone has matured a bit since then, and we don't have a repeat of the old forums.

First impressions matter a lot, especially when said person is a position of authority as well.

I think the current system on clamping down on things has made it a bit better. It's not perfect and there have been some controversial events as well.
  • ZephyrmaruZephyrmaru
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,430
    As someone who's come back more recently, I can definitely say that the bias is overwhelmingly obvious. We need a CM to voice our concerns with, because here's something that was said earlier in this thread by a mod...

That’s a good question. While they can be lowered or removed for good behavior, I’m sure, as far as I know there’s no timer on warnings.

That's not good at all. That means that if a mod is hypothetically biased, there's no system in place to challenge them. They only de-escalate by sucking up to a hypothetical mod with a power trip to get their account's warning level lowered. That system is ludicrous unless there's an outlet for people to voice concerns to a higher-up. Nexon owns this forum, so they don't have to "play fair ball", but we could use some transparency. I feel like the mods themselves would agree on that.
  • AquasolAquasol
    Zephyrmaru wrote: »
    As someone who's come back more recently, I can definitely say that the bias is overwhelmingly obvious. We need a CM to voice our concerns with, because here's something that was said earlier in this thread by a mod...

That's not good at all. That means that if a mod is hypothetically biased, there's no system in place to challenge them. They only de-escalate by sucking up to a hypothetical mod with a power trip to get their account's warning level lowered. That system is ludicrous unless there's an outlet for people to voice concerns to a higher-up. Nexon owns this forum, so they don't have to "play fair ball", but we could use some transparency. I feel like the mods themselves would agree on that.

I was referring to an automatic timer, but for the record, account-level warnings are not given out lightly; we confer with the team and they are subject to a review beforehand.

As I’ve stated before, I’m more than willing to discuss matters or concerns, if anyone should wish to reach out.
  • HellkaizerHellkaizer
    edited August 2, 2018

I'm :) afraid :) we :) might :) go :) back :) to :) being :) worried :) about :) saying :) negative :) things :) without :) fear :) of :) being :) banned :). :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

The fact that there's no transparency is what bothers people. The bone dragon thread is a good example, people had posts edited and deleted with no reason explained (though to be fair some were obvious, however a lot weren't.) Then another thread was created, the same thing happened as well. The first time it was deleted the title should've been changed to [Deleted] *Threadnamehere* had the posts removed, and changed to a VFM post that said "This thread has been deleted for *reason* and is under review."

It would've stopped a second thread from showing up, and settled a lot of peoples minds on the issue itself. Sure, it doesn't need to be done but all it's going to do is censor the forums to the point they get abandoned again which to an extent is already happening. Even the unofficial discord is slowly falling apart as well due to the censorship, with smaller discords popping up that are getting more and more people as time goes on.
    GretaZephyrmaruImaizumi
  • ZephyrmaruZephyrmaru
    Aquasol wrote: »

I was referring to an automatic timer, but for the record, account-level warnings are not given out lightly; we confer with the team and they are subject to a review beforehand.

As I’ve stated before, I’m more than willing to discuss matters or concerns, if anyone should wish to reach out.

See, that's why people are feeling antsy right there. You say they're not given out lightly, but we've had users make threads about getting warnings for doing one thing while 'certain' people have been consistently more toxic on this forum without any backlash. You wanna tell us why there is extreme conservatism about certain people being reprimanded and other people being sandblasted on one offense? That looks like bias to a lot of us, and if it is we just want there to be transparency about it. I legitimately don't mind if the forum is just biased, because it's Nexon's forum and they can do what they want. But don't make the food sign "fresh seafood" then give us frozen and reheated dishes. Just own it, so those of us who want fresh seafood can stop wasting our time.

And no offense to you, but how should we express concerns with you about negative mod performance? That's like going to the cook and complaining about the food. Of course you'll think the food is good, you prepared it lol.

• JazmynJazmyn
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,595
    edited August 2, 2018
    See, that's why people are feeling antsy right there. You say they're not given out lightly, but we've had users make threads about getting warnings for doing one thing while 'certain' people have been consistently more toxic on this forum without any backlash. You wanna tell us why there is extreme conservatism about certain people being reprimanded and other people being sandblasted on one offense? That looks like bias to a lot of us, and if it is we just want there to be transparency about it. I legitimately don't mind if the forum is just biased, because it's Nexon's forum and they can do what they want. But don't make the food sign "fresh seafood" then give us frozen and reheated dishes. Just own it, so those of us who want fresh seafood can stop wasting our time.

And no offense to you, but how should we express concerns with you about negative mod performance? That's like going to the cook and complaining about the food. Of course you'll think the food is good, you prepared it lol.

Who's to say who has and hasn't been warned though? We cannot see warnings on others and they may just not say anything about it, knowing they did wrong? EDIT: And they may not care that they got warned and continue to act the way they did before being warned.
    Zephyrmaru
  • ZephyrmaruZephyrmaru
    edited August 2, 2018
    Thank you, that's a legitimate point I didn't consider. It doesn't solve the issue with editing and deleting, but that's a good point nonetheless.

Edit: Well, tickle me Elmo. Here's a ruddy good example. Where the hell'd my thread on general go? I was using that to decide which of my pet's to intoxicate to lv 200, and it's now gone. I'd been checking up on it, so nothing fishy was going on. And there's literally nothing you could've flagged it for. You've got 3 people in general telling someone to get off the forums and you haven't lifted a finger about it, and yet my thread about Mojitos is gone. Wanna explain that one?

Edit 2: There's a thread about Black Buffalo and global warming on the front page as well, so don't even try saying it was in the wrong section. Did I just get swatted for saying something negative about a mod?
    GretaKensamaofmariJazmynMizukiHayamaImaizumiSherri
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    edited August 2, 2018
    Thank you, that's a legitimate point I didn't consider. It doesn't solve the issue with editing and deleting, but that's a good point nonetheless.

Edit: Well, tickle me Elmo. Here's a ruddy good example. Where the hell'd my thread on general go? I was using that to decide which of my pet's to intoxicate to lv 200, and it's now gone. I'd been checking up on it, so nothing fishy was going on. And there's literally nothing you could've flagged it for. You've got 3 people in general telling someone to get off the forums and you haven't lifted a finger about it, and yet my thread about Mojitos is gone. Wanna explain that one?

Edit 2: There's a thread about Black Buffalo and global warming on the front page as well, so don't even try saying it was in the wrong section. Did I just get swatted for saying something negative about a mod?

I assume some people went really off-topic about it and straight up started to talk about being drunk/intoxication topic and other similar nonsense, also one user (not gonna say names) posted a meme about drinks which seemed to be really inappropriate and had swear word in it, but i still don't see a reason for a whole thread disappearing like that. They could have just deleted those derailed posts and comments that were not PG-13 friendly which was made from like two users or so.
    ZephyrmaruBlissfulkill
  • ZephyrmaruZephyrmaru
    edited August 2, 2018
    [Space now available for Rent]
    Kensamaofmari
  • ShoogShoog
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,535

It was moved earlier to a hidden forum section for clean up. It's been restored to the General section.
  • ZephyrmaruZephyrmaru
    You know what, my bad. Sorry, thanks for taking the time to clean it.

Transparency helps people from making assumptions, but obviously my assumptions here were wrong and for that I apologize.
  • HellkaizerHellkaizer
    You know what, my bad. Sorry, thanks for taking the time to clean it.

Transparency helps people from making assumptions, but obviously my assumptions here were wrong and for that I apologize.

make the edit and bold the section they edited (or some other kind of stand out-ish thing), then at the bottom of the comment go
    EDIT: explanation of the correction so that the action is not repeated in the future and reminder that there will be consequences for repeating these actions
    ~[NAME OF MOD]

So we don't have this issue in the first place. Sure it's more work for the vfms, but that's just it, volunteer if it's too much work then step down and let someone else who will do it step up.
    Greta
    I'm sure we all have a better idea now.
    Sometimes, these conversations can do well to make improvements.