Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Dungeon HP/Reward Scaling

IAAWIAAW
Mabinogi Rep: 2,285
edited August 4, 2018 in Feedback and Suggestions
This is a personal idea I had a while back in respect to the Uladh Dungeon Revamp; for context, as a returning user I had no real idea on how the dungeon revamp was for players, but now that I had a chance to experience it, I can kind of understand why people had a problem with it; enemies deal far more damage than normal, are far more damage spongy, and despite attempts to make the rewards more worthwhile, you arguably expend more durability going it alone versus in a group. Obviously this isn't a bad thing and arguably not being able to one-shot dungeon mobs along with them being more lethal is also a good thing. Personally, I don't mind the more lethal mobs as I think that makes combat more interesting, but damage sponginess is never fun, IMO, and you definitely have a lot more health to chew through when dungeon running. Not to mention that "back door dungeons" not carrying any of the revamps generates inconsistency overall. In any case, this is my idea;

My proposal (as a sort of "revamp" to the dungeon revamp) is to add dungeon HP/reward scaling. What I mean by that is to add an HP/reward modifier to dungeons; in other words, if you're going it alone mobs will have less HP but there will be less reward, but if you go in with a full party mobs will have much more HP, but the rewards will be far greater. The concept is to less punish solo play but encourage party play; running a dungeon solo is no longer as much of a slog, but running a dungeon with a party will result in more tankier enemies, along with a larger payout. In detail, this is what the rework would entail;

To start, the HP of all mobs in every dungeon is reverted to their base, pre-Dungeon Revamp values. This is to act as a baseline, and to act as the amount of health mobs would have if you are tackling a dungeon solo. Damage would remain unchanged; the concept being that while enemies won't be as tanky while running solo, they will still be more lethal, meaning that paying attention (and managing multi-aggro) will still be key.

Following this, the following modifiers would be applied dependent on how many players are with you in a party while generating the dungeon. These modifiers, as noted before, would apply to the HP of mobs and the rewards; the multiplier to rewards being specifically towards the gold amount dropped by mobs, the drop rate of mobs, and the final amount of gold/rewards in the end dungeon chests. In other words, while running through a dungeon with a party, mobs will drop more gold, they will have a higher drop rate, and the end chests at the end of the dungeon will carry additional rewards. The concept for this follows the concept of encouraging party play; you'll receive more gold for dungeon running in a group, and the rewards will be greater. As for the additional rewards in end dungeon chests, the additional rewards would be in the form of an additional item drop from that dungeon's item drop list. This basically equates to an additional roll, particularly towards any rare items you might be searching for. In respect to what the modifiers would be, these are my suggestions;

Party Size of Two: 2x Enemy HP, 1.5x Gold/Drop Rate/End Dungeon Gold, +1 Additional End Dungeon Item Drop
Party Size of Three: 2.5x Enemy HP, 2x Gold/Drop Rate/End Dungeon Gold, +2 Additional End Dungeon Item Drops
Party Size of Four: 3x Enemy HP, 2.5x Gold/Drop Rate/End Dungeon Gold, +3 Additional End Dungeon Item Drops

The pattern would continue if, as an optional suggestion, the party size limit was increased to eight. As an example;

Party Size of Five: 3.5x Enemy HP, 3x Gold/Drop Rate/End Dungeon Gold, +4 Additional End Dungeon Item Drops
Party Size of Six: 4x Enemy HP, 3.5x Gold/Drop Rate/End Dungeon Gold, +5 Additional End Dungeon Item Drops
Party Size of Seven: 4.5x Enemy HP, 4x Gold/Drop Rate/End Dungeon Gold, +6 Additional End Dungeon Item Drops
Party Size of Eight: 5x Enemy HP, 4.5x Gold/Drop Rate/End Dungeon Gold, +7 Additional End Dungeon Item Drops

That's pretty much my suggestion; make dungeon mobs less tanky for solo players, but retain their tankiness and bolster the rewards for dungeon running in a group.

EDIT: For some additional context, I personally don't mind the dungeon revamp; I think it was a great way to revitalize dungeons and to make them more interesting, along with obviously trying to answer the power creep that's been infesting Mabinogi for a while now. This suggestion, in the end, is not about removing the dungeon revamps more than it is to tweak it; to try to offer ways in which the revamps could be tweaked to make it a bit easier on solo players, while also trying to make dungeons more tougher and rewarding while dungeon running in a group. This suggestion might not be the right way to go, but despite how old the dungeon revamp implementations are at this point, I still felt like putting in my own two cents.

On a personal note however, I always seem to make myself sick to my stomach when making large, complex suggestions like these. Should probably stop doing that.

Comments

• GTCvActiumGTCvActium
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,125
    Well the thing is that the dungeons are technically rated as solo experiences with the recommendations to challenge dungeons above your rating in a party. My only recommendation to the current system is that the 4 rewards stay regardless if you're soloing or in a party, (except 3, a party with 3 will net you only 3 chests so everyone only gets 1). So in a party of 4, there's 4 rewards, everyone gets 1, in a party of 3, there's 3 rewards, everyone gets 1, if you're in a party of 2, you get 4 chests, each person gets 2 chests, and a solo runner gets all 4 chests to themselves.
  • IAAWIAAW
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,285
    GTCvActium wrote: »
    Well the thing is that the dungeons are technically rated as solo experiences with the recommendations to challenge dungeons above your rating in a party. My only recommendation to the current system is that the 4 rewards stay regardless if you're soloing or in a party, (except 3, a party with 3 will net you only 3 chests so everyone only gets 1). So in a party of 4, there's 4 rewards, everyone gets 1, in a party of 3, there's 3 rewards, everyone gets 1, if you're in a party of 2, you get 4 chests, each person gets 2 chests, and a solo runner gets all 4 chests to themselves.

That would at least make having to chew through four times the health when alone a bit more worthwhile. Would certainly make book farming a little bit easier when going alone.

(Stares at Barri Advanced.)
  • SerrasinSerrasin
    Mabinogi Rep: 330
    I recently started playing again after not touching Mabi in ages and I can't do anything when it comes to dungeons except Tir Chonall. I just want to start blacksmithing but barri normal is completely impossible for me. Why would they re-do the normal dungeons in such a way? I can understand touching on the basic-advanced versions, but normal should be for the people who can't do harder ones yet. It's like they just took the hardmode dungeons and made it the new normal.

I don't know how I'm supposed to get started in blacksmithing now.