Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Advanced Heavy Stander While Using Hail Storm

IAAWIAAW
Mabinogi Rep: 2,285
edited August 8, 2018 in Feedback and Suggestions
I think Hail Storm is a neat Advanced Magic; being able to fling balls of ice at enemies can be fun. However, I do have some personal issues with trying to use the skill. That is, as much as I like it I think it's too easy to wind up being knocked down and forced out of Hail Storm, which can be frustrating since you both need to be standing still while casting Hail Storm and can't exactly move, not to mention that you need to charge each ball for maximum damage. Having a divine linked pet helps with aggro in the situations where I might want to use Hail Storm, but this doesn't address splash damage or AoE attacks like Windmill, Stomp, Fireball, etc.; so, I had an idea. Since there are a good few skills that activates Advanced Heavy Stander while in use (such as Chain Sweep), I think it would be a good idea to update Hail Storm so that, while you have it active, you gain Advanced Heavy Stander for the duration of the skill.

I believe this would be a good change primarily because Hail Storm is a stationary skill; you need to be standing still while activating Hail Storm, and have to remain stationary during the skill's duration, which from there you need to charge balls of ice (which require time to charge) in order to attack adjacent enemies. Enemies who, if they hit you, can prevent you from launching balls of ice, and if they knock you down, Hail Storm is canceled. I think these two factors alone (especially when factoring in other forms of magic that can be utilized in a given situation) make Hail Storm cumbersome to use; it's a fun skill otherwise and has damage, but rooting yourself into a single spot while trying to cast Hail Storm and try to charge balls of ice to attack with before nearby enemies can knock you out of Hail Storm (something which remains a constant risk) can be stressful when it seems like it'd be far easier to just spam Thunder or charge a quick Lightning Rod.

With that being said, I think adding Advanced Heavy Stander to Hail Storm would both make it more viable and give the skill a bit of a niche compared to the rest of the Advanced Magics; Hail Storm can be for essentially making yourself into a stationary ice catapult that can't be knocked down, Lightning Rod can be for quick powerful bursts of lightning, and Meteor Strike can be Fireball's big brother.

Note that this change would only apply to while you have Hail Storm activated; you would still be interrupted if attacked while attempting to cast Hail Storm.
SherriFluoretteBronzebreakTwelie

Comments

• FluoretteFluorette
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,840
    Neat suggestion! Hail Storm is a fun skill to use - I used to stand in the middle of dungeon rooms and cast Hail Storm to strike at enemies one-by-one because I found it satisfying, but then only to end up getting knocked back by gremlins, mimics, and whatnot. Granted, the game of "strike the enemy that is more than likely to aggro and attack you first" is kinda fun at first, but having heavy stander would just be so much more convenient.
  • THICCthighssavelivesTHICCthighssavelives
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,855
    edited August 9, 2018
    Alternative buff: Add an ice mine effect below the caster's feet. This will freeze enemies when they get too close. Caster will still be vulnerable to ranged attacks.
    YangKoeteBronzebreakIAAWErorservLadame
  • ErorservErorserv
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,695
    Yes please. It feels like this skills going to waste because of this drawback.