Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Bots: Out of Control

Comments

• starkiller1286starkiller1286
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,790
    Harukari wrote: »
    Another bot thread huh?
    If nexon doesn't care to do anything about gachas knowing the lootbox law is getting passed here and there.
    What makes you think they care about doing something about bots?

Bots don't bother me, they never have. They have cheaper prices which I'll gladly take over some other greedy player's prices.

I think Mexon will do something once the loot box law is passed be it age restrictions, loophole, or only having what the description says with out the extra junk.
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    Another bot thread huh?
    If nexon doesn't care to do anything about gachas knowing the lootbox law is getting passed here and there.

Bots don't bother me, they never have. They have cheaper prices which I'll gladly take over some other greedy player's prices.

I think Mexon will do something once the loot box law is passed be it age restrictions, loophole, or only having what the description says with out the extra junk.

MEXON. We are saved guys. Mexon will take over Mabinogi.
    HarukariFariison
  • GTCvActiumGTCvActium
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,125
    Greta wrote: »

This is a lie, EA will take over. Then devCAT will be Unicron'd like many other studios.
  • PolicromaPolicroma
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,730
    Another bot thread huh?

First off, I don't think lootboxes or gachas are ever going away to the point that Nexon will vastly change their pricing structure. If they ever do, the vast majority of "free" games that use this will simply close or worm their way around those laws.

Second off, assuming by some crazy situation lootboxes somehow become illegal or otherwise unworkable worldwide, reforges are the "next best" thing. And if they're only getting purchased by money launderers who are defrauding Nexon, the credit card companies, doing chargebacks, etc....where do you think Nexon is going to get the money to run the servers?

Like it or not, for all its "play for free" bait, Mabinogi was for all intents and purposes a "subscription" game at the start, where most of the content was hidden behind various paywalls. If it wasn't the generation quests, it was rebirths. If it wasn't rebirths it was spirit weapons. You get the idea. They have slowly removed the paywalls over the years as the gachas made them enough money to keep everything else free. (This was the point that I stopped taking issue with gachas. The paywalls were gone, so that balanced out any annoyance I had with the gambling.) Now I'm sure somebody's gonna gripe about how we don't have the "new" VIP yet and that's a fair criticism. But the fact is the gachas are keeping the doors open, like it or not.

TLDR: If we ever get to the point where mabi is, for some reason, not allowed to have gachas, the game will likely close. That's that.
    HarukariFariison
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    Now since when were online gaming economy schemes regulated?
    Inb4 regulation happens.

Old news is old
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    Another bot thread huh?

Who's gonna pay for it?

MEXON!
  • Gold_DragonGold_Dragon
    Mabinogi Rep: 740
    to me, the problem is those preloaded NX account going around they have like 60knx in them and are being sold for about $20 it is ruining the market.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Another bot thread huh?

Who's gonna pay for it?

MEXON!

Build a wall around Mexon and make Mexon pay for it.
    Kensamaofmari
  • starkiller1286starkiller1286
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,790
    Oh dear hope my typo doesn't become memed like a certain someone's avatar headshot.
    KensamaofmariGretaCrimsọnWolfsinger
  • EraleaEralea
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,890
    Lutetium wrote: »
    The real problem is the playerbase believing that these are """bots""" when it's just other players making accounts, buying nx through dubious exchange rates or doing chargebacks and they're just selling the reforges on alt accounts then moving the gold to their main so it's the alt that gets banned and not their main.

Oh thank goodness, someone who actually knows what's up.

I know a bottom-feeder who was caught by Nexon doing exactly this (plus other RMTs... what else do you think they do with the gold?). He appealed and they unbanned his main. Our GMs are too nice.
    Zephyrmaru
  • ZephyrmaruZephyrmaru
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,430
    Just to throw my two cents in...

Nexon used to have a game called Atlantica Online. It was a good game, with a decent playerbase. Then after almost a decade, it's playerbase settled to a humble number. While it was still popular in other regions, it was slowing down here. Our CM Sumirei(who was a great CM) had been moved away from really helping much with the game anymore, and the replacements more kept the status quo then continuing to host lots of events(no offense to them, I'm sure they didn't have much to work with).

Around this time, gold bots started getting way more bold and weren't being swatted down anymore. Then chargeback mules started appearing and the economy tanked badly. Some people welcomed it because the mules sold things so cheap and were okay with Nexon not smacking them down. Then the first signs of mass duping began. The economy had gotten so bad, and the security so lax, that a problem that should've been easy to fix quickly spiraled out of control. Then certain players began running around with $8000 or more in perfect equips they didn't have yesterday, and no amount of reporting got them in trouble. (The playerbase at this point realized how bad it was getting and tried to mobilize and get Nexon to fix it. Nexon tried to fix it but it was too far gone and Atlantica wasn't earning enough money for them to care anymore). Then PvP Arena died from dupers dominating it. Then PvE raids were suddenly being solo'd by people in seconds and certain weapons were doing 99999 damage and auto-killing everything. Then items went from being millions of gold to billions of gold. Then to trillions. Then the CM was moved and the forums were closed. And many months later...Atlantica Online was closed down and sold off. It was later reopened with the new people, but the servers were wiped clean. A decade of work and memories gone.

Don't take this as a forecast of this game's future. Take it as a word of warning from one of Atlantica's oldest players. We need to begin working together and holding Nexon responsible for this before it gets too far gone to fix. Because Nexon has proven they will move resources away from this game and shut it down if it stops earning money. And then Mabinogi players will be the ones losing a decade of memories.
    Fariison
  • AlshianAlshian
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,065
    Oh dear hope my typo doesn't become memed like a certain someone's avatar headshot.

Is that a challenge?
  • LeineiLeinei
    Mabinogi Rep: 16,440
    Alshian wrote: »

Is that a challenge?

Eh, I think only two people have used my headshot as a meme, lol.

• CrimsọnCrimsọn
    edited March 9, 2019

ogxj1ol.gif
    WolfsingerAlshianKensamaofmari
  • FayeKaibaFayeKaiba
    Mabinogi Rep: 10,670
    Honestly 'bots' never bothered me. I would rather buy reforges and stuff at cheaper prices. Than paying 7m for enchant protects, 700k/1.5m for fine/crednes or anything else that people love to over price.
  • ZephyrmaruZephyrmaru
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,430
    FayeKaiba wrote: »
    Honestly 'bots' never bothered me. I would rather buy reforges and stuff at cheaper prices. Than paying 7m for enchant protects, 700k/1.5m for fine/crednes or anything else that people love to over price.

Chargeback mule buys stuff from nx store and uses fraud/chargebacks to not have to pay the money. Actual legit nx shop sellers no longer can justify selling nx items because the mules are so cheap. Nexon doesn't make as much money. Nexon stops caring and doesn't police or help the game and lets it go stagnant. Less security means dupers get out of control. Game needs rollbacked or wiped.

It's like you are literally plugging your fingers in your ears and saying "idc as long as i can buy cheap stuff right now, game can burn in a year".
  • ImaizumiImaizumi
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,225
    edited March 10, 2019
    Another bot thread huh?

They're only cheaper because the other player's prices are what they are. If the players start to match their prices, the "bots" will reduce their price in tandem in a never ending arms race. I don't sell reforges and rarely buy them even with gold, but don't misjudge players pricing relative to the market state as 'greed'.
    Policroma wrote: »
    Reforges can only be traded once. And if it were a level 5k bot doing the money laundering, they'd be banned faster than their bot minions. I think we can be sure the money laundering takes place at the bot level, then is transferred back to whoever the "kingpin bot" is. And worse yet, the "kingpin bot" may be as much a throwaway character as the sales and spam bots.

This sounds like a potential solution and I quite like it as a mostly free player btw. (Bought some mounts in the past and one experience with reforges and never again after.)

I wonder what could be done about this though,

1. The throw away accounts/'bots' buy some reforges.
    2. They sell them off.
    3. They transfer the gold through an endless chain of accounts.
    4. On the way potentially buying items on certain accounts and send those items to their main account.

• DragoolfireDragoolfire
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,590
    FayeKaiba wrote: »

That's exactly the prices these "bots" sell them for. They haven't been "cheap" in a very long time.

Um I think your saying those are the cheap prices, if I am wrong about that, sorry.