Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

How underwhelming do you feel Hailstorm/Meteor is

Comments

• ArchmagickArchmagick
    Mabinogi Rep: 745
    Lutetium wrote: »
    As someone who wasted a good 7 years and twenty five thousand levels playing an elf desperately trying to main the burning dumpster fire of a skillset that is magic, I personally feel hailstorm and meteor are both pinnacle highlights of the problems with magic. Needlessly long cast times, canceled by any pissant mob hitting you for 1 (ONE) damage for both, not to mention the absolutely pathetic damage output even with rosemaries and ice/fire mastery pay to win, basically useless splash on hailstorm without a dedicated crisis slave (and why even use hail over blaze at that point) if you can even hit the crisis pile with it's pathetic targeting range, speaking of worthless, meteor doesn't even do the full damage except for a tiny portion at the center, dropping to a measley half damage at the edges of the AOE.

Lightning Rod on the other hand, potentially instant use if you don't want to do good damage or are killing trashmobs, more damage the longer you hold the hotkey like blaze but doesnt require any real setup or nuclear strike percision positioning, also does more damage than meteor and hailstorm if you do bother to charge it for the COMPARITIVELY short TWO SECONDS.

Magic is basically one of the BLACK SHEEP skillsets in mabinogi, most of the skills are completely useless and have some poorly applied bandaids and bad formula changes applied in an attempt to curb the players backlash, but really the entire tab needs reworked aside from Firebolt, Blaze, and Lightning Rod. ESPECIALLY healing and party healing.
    Bonus shoutout to the other black sheep, fighter and alchemy which also need complete revamps. Asking for them on NA won't acheive anything though so I won't make one of my patented walls of text about how to fix them. :)

BONUS BONUS for the stubborn FOOLS like myself who JUST WANT to play mage in their RPGs: Spinning slash -> Lightning Rod (you can combo card it 3x with dan custom cards, get LR cd blue echostone 20 level and it's up every 7 seconds)
    Firebolt is actually bad too once you make an erg 50 cylinder (good luck on NA where mats don't exist, server merge would help this slightly even though it will destroy eco and make them 4x or more the cost) Water Cannon is superior due to getting +120% under a cloud with reforge, and benefitting fully from combo card, combo card for firebolt only adds to the multiplier from the magic masteries rather than a flat bonus like any other skillset gets. If you've got a cast speed reforged tribolt already though it's decent enough but dont bother with combo card.
    Thunder is probably ok with a Thunder x6 combo card, probably. Don't think I'd really bother in tech duinn missions, even on normal, maybe good enough for phantasm though if you dont lose all your charges from shooting rush succubii doing 1 damage to you, if you can charge it. Iron Will exists?
    Cant forget Ice Spear still has one niche use in alban training grounds, it's never too late to work on that +5% critical damage totem so Lightning Rod hits a little higher everywhere else :)..
    Blaze off of other people's spinning slashes, and their act 7s once g23 comes and makes puppet partially viable again.
    We don't have much to work with so thats about all I've got to offer that wont just meme you into being aggro'd by everything and doing 0 dmg. At least int gives gun max BIG IRON BIIIIIG IIIIIROOON.

The core problem with Mabinogi is that they tossed class balance out the window for everyone else while keeping it for magic only, so magic gets actual drawbacks and weaknesses while melee and range can just ungabunga

I've quit for like a year+ but i logged in to make this comment.
  • AlshianAlshian
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,065
    edited April 9, 2019
    Well if we could use all magic without a wand and stave perhaps that will improve me using magic on situational cases.

Although magic would always fail in comparison on true DPS as well as now falling as good AOE burst damage. The scale is smaller but beats magic anytime against future content mobs that have to much mprot/mdef that made magic near worthless as a source of damage while still remaining good on utility.

Out of context but lightning rod is still the best magic skill because of its low cooldown, linear AOE, good short burst damage, and with no meager long animation to unleash it. Alas locked behind needing a stave or magic knuckles in order to use it.