Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Renovation Season 3 Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/74541/renovation-season-3-patch-notes-may-26th-2022
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Alexina Server Merge?

Comments

  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 21,655
    Posts: 4,940
    Member
    edited May 16, 2019
    GTCvActium wrote: »
    Except we literally just had a server upgrade where the process is a simple "Move everything in its entirety to other hardware" and we still had stuff break on us.

    But that was an actual initial physical transfer of data to a third party host. That would take time and there is no way to practice it beforehand. It was a one-time event and they just had to roll up their sleeves and do it.
    GTCvActium wrote: »
    This is a merging of databases with thousands of variables and and millions of data elements, I don't expect anything to go smoothly at all given the condition and how Mabi itself is set up. The best case is that the majority of the population transitions into the new server intact with a few people affected due to being special cases that weren't accounted for. The worst case would be the merging fails because of too many failed cases or corruption of a significant portion of the population.

    It really isn't a merge in the true sense though. The entire Mabinogi NA database has been merged since Mabinogi first went live years ago. What's happening here is scripts will walk the entire database and every record that has a field called server will, if the value stored in it is not "Alexina" have it changed to "Nao". That, the renaming kludge, and the bit with the guild stones is pretty much all there is to it.
    GTCvActium wrote: »
    Also as KR has noted, much of the engine for Mabi are black boxes, even database changes could break the game horrifically leading to crashes, data corruption, and a slue of bugs.

    The point is that there are many MANY breaking points, too many to expect an intact transition. The most realistic thing is to probably brace yourself for the chance your character will be corrupted and give yourself a month long expectation while the dust settles and NA resolves the cases one at a time.

    The only black boxes Nexon could possibly have are third party libraries that the code might link to. In that case, if there are issues with them, then they contact the vendor for support. Since, the merge does not require changes to any code, it's strictly the editing of data values in the database, then any such black boxes won't be an issue. Since, it involves changing values in the database but not it's structure, this should not be problematic either.
    GTCvActium wrote: »
    Though its entirely possible that NA is actually testing the merge with copies of our data right now to minimize the down time for when it happens. So there is a ray of hope that things will proceed on schedule with minimal damage.

    Definitely! In fact, now that they are hosting the live data on third party servers, their old ones are probably still sitting in their old data center with databases that are essentially 99% the same as the live ones. They will have the opportunity to practice just that.

    In the end, there might be some item loss issues, but if everyone takes all the Nexon recommended precautions, I can't say there still won't be but I would not be surprised either if there wasn't. I don't see why we would lose our UI set-up but Katherz has already told us we will. The only problem I do see is name theft. That IS going to happen; I have no doubt about it.
    Okay so ive seen a lot of posts about how alexina should be in the merge and all the in game reason for why.
    but not one person seems to have considered the hardware side of that. It seems to me that with the merge Mari Ruairi and Tarlach will all be merged onto a single server not a combination of all 3 (people have thought so for some reason so throwing that out there). From what i have also seen Alexina's Population bar in character creation is about 3/4 of the way full. So from what i can gather they would have to make an entire other server that is much larger so it could handle that population.

    Maybe, but right now we can't say for sure. It will be interesting to see if Nao has 7 channels or more because that might tell us something. A few months ago I would have said that Nao would have more than 7 channels since guild battles are held on channel 20, but now I'm not so sure; we'll have to wait and see.

    Whoa, as I write this, I just had an epiphany! Guild battles are held on channel 20. 20 is approximately 7 times 3. Maybe it will have 19 channels after all! I really hope so. If that is the case then it would indicate two things:
    1. that the decision to specifically merge those three servers was made before channel 20 was created,
    2. a full merge is not limited by whatever factors were in play when Nexon originally decided to go with a multi-server set-up.
  • FreakoutcastFreakoutcast
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,230
    Posts: 61
    Member
    edited May 16, 2019
    I might be the only person on Alexina not crazy for a merge out of fear for my names... I don't really want the tacky "of Alexina" added onto anything. But if it's gonna happen regardless, I'd prefer it to be sooner rather than later.

    Edit: Then again... people on Nao server might be selling old trans medals. No one on Alexina seems to still have old ones as everyone already used them. If that's the case I'd be on board.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 21,655
    Posts: 4,940
    Member
    I might be the only person on Alexina not crazy for a merge out of fear for my names... I don't really want the tacky "of Alexina" added onto anything. But if it's gonna happen regardless, I'd prefer it to be sooner rather than later.

    Edit: Then again... people on Nao server might be selling old trans medals. No one on Alexina seems to still have old ones as everyone already used them. If that's the case I'd be on board.

    We're "supposed" to be unaffected by that so I believe our names aren't to be touched. On the other hand, if they manage to accidentally do a four-way merge, well, I would personally accentuate the positive. Here's hoping for that particular massive F-up!
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 64,185
    Posts: 8,862
    Member
    edited May 22, 2019
    GTCvActium wrote: »
    Helsa wrote: »
    Gaea wrote: »
    Oh I have that feeling too. The merge is going to take at least 2-3 days. Calling it now.

    You could be right, but I think that won't be the case. The merge involves running scripts on the database and really nothing else. So, no "code" will be effected and therefore broken. The only issues will be with what account data survives afterwards.

    Except we literally just had a server upgrade where the process is a simple "Move everything in its entirety to other hardware" and we still had stuff break on us. This is a merging of databases with thousands of variables and and millions of data elements, I don't expect anything to go smoothly at all given the condition and how Mabi itself is set up. The best case is that the majority of the population transitions into the new server intact with a few people affected due to being special cases that weren't accounted for. The worst case would be the merging fails because of too many failed cases or corruption of a significant portion of the population. Also as KR has noted, much of the engine for Mabi are black boxes, even database changes could break the game horrifically leading to crashes, data corruption, and a slue of bugs.

    The point is that there are many MANY breaking points, too many to expect an intact transition. The most realistic thing is to probably brace yourself for the chance your character will be corrupted and give yourself a month long expectation while the dust settles and NA resolves the cases one at a time.

    Though its entirely possible that NA is actually testing the merge with copies of our data right now to minimize the down time for when it happens. So there is a ray of hope that things will proceed on schedule with minimal damage.

    Yes I'm sure they have been testing. Our characters will be fine because there will be backups on the original servers. So if the merge fails miserably then the merge will have to be cancelled indefinitely and we will all still be on the old servers. It will be disappointing but it's not going to be the end of the world.

    DISCLAIMER: since the following post is not made by an employee of Nexon or any of it's affiliates or partners, what is contained therein is ultimately speculation. Until Nexon or any of it's affiliates or partners has spoken definitively on the matters to be discussed, do not take them as granted, even if the language used happens to make it seem so.
  • PanPan
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,745
    Posts: 418
    Member
    The real reason why Alexina is not being merged at the same time is because Nexon needs a way to sell server transfers. They most likely will cost $15-30 and will require each and every character & pet card in your account to have one so if you own 100 pets then we'd have to pay $3000 dollars to fully transfer everything.
    NegumikoGretaDarkpixie99
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 21,655
    Posts: 4,940
    Member
    Pan wrote: »
    The real reason why Alexina is not being merged at the same time is because Nexon needs a way to sell server transfers. They most likely will cost $15-30 and will require each and every character & pet card in your account to have one so if you own 100 pets then we'd have to pay $3000 dollars to fully transfer everything.

    And the name problem will remain. Glad you pointed that out about the transfer being one character at a time, I suspect some folks don't fully realize that.
  • NegumikoNegumiko
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,880
    Posts: 1,163
    Member
    Pan wrote: »
    The real reason why Alexina is not being merged at the same time is because Nexon needs a way to sell server transfers. They most likely will cost $15-30 and will require each and every character & pet card in your account to have one so if you own 100 pets then we'd have to pay $3000 dollars to fully transfer everything.

    it would be really expensive to transfer to another server but yeah I could see Nexon doing that. would prefer it if they just sold a $100 dollar coupon to transfer your entire account to save players a little money if they have tons of pets and characters. however kind sale all depends on how well Alexina does after being left out of the merge. if Alexina dies players might be willing to pay a lot of money to transfer to Nao server but if Alexina manages to stay fairly healthy those coupons might not sell very well at all.
    Darkpixie99
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 64,185
    Posts: 8,862
    Member
    edited May 22, 2019
    Pan wrote: »
    The real reason why Alexina is not being merged at the same time is because Nexon needs a way to sell server transfers. They most likely will cost $15-30 and will require each and every character & pet card in your account to have one so if you own 100 pets then we'd have to pay $3000 dollars to fully transfer everything.

    Except they didn't mention that something like that was being released here. Knock it off with all the FUD and troll comments. You have been relentless since the announcement.

    DISCLAIMER: since the following post is not made by an employee of Nexon or any of it's affiliates or partners, what is contained therein is ultimately speculation. Until Nexon or any of it's affiliates or partners has spoken definitively on the matters to be discussed, do not take them as granted, even if the language used happens to make it seem so.
    WolfsingerDarkpixie99
  • IcefuryIcefury
    Mabinogi Rep: 755
    Posts: 6
    Member
    I sincerely hope that they merge Alexina too. At this point they shouldn't have a reason to have multiple servers. Please let us all play together.
    GretaNegumikoRadiant DawnPanTwlnImaizumi
  • GTCvActiumGTCvActium
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,125
    Posts: 661
    Member
    edited May 17, 2019
    Helsa wrote: »
    GTCvActium wrote: »
    This is a merging of databases with thousands of variables and and millions of data elements, I don't expect anything to go smoothly at all given the condition and how Mabi itself is set up. The best case is that the majority of the population transitions into the new server intact with a few people affected due to being special cases that weren't accounted for. The worst case would be the merging fails because of too many failed cases or corruption of a significant portion of the population.

    It really isn't a merge in the true sense though. The entire Mabinogi NA database has been merged since Mabinogi first went live years ago. What's happening here is scripts will walk the entire database and every record that has a field called server will, if the value stored in it is not "Alexina" have it changed to "Nao". That, the renaming kludge, and the bit with the guild stones is pretty much all there is to it.

    Except "at the beginning" is with the original development team that built the game from scratch. This was both at a time where the game was far far simpler with fewer still players backed by a team that has full understanding of the game's code and database structures. The game today is far different than that time with numerous additions that complicates matters. Even with access to the original merging scripts it still does little due to the simple fact that its been over a decade since such a thing has been done. If anything I expected them to actually have wrote the scripts from scratch since major changes and additions have been made.
    Helsa wrote: »
    GTCvActium wrote: »
    Also as KR has noted, much of the engine for Mabi are black boxes, even database changes could break the game horrifically leading to crashes, data corruption, and a slue of bugs.

    The point is that there are many MANY breaking points, too many to expect an intact transition. The most realistic thing is to probably brace yourself for the chance your character will be corrupted and give yourself a month long expectation while the dust settles and NA resolves the cases one at a time.

    The only black boxes Nexon could possibly have are third party libraries that the code might link to. In that case, if there are issues with them, then they contact the vendor for support. Since, the merge does not require changes to any code, it's strictly the editing of data values in the database, then any such black boxes won't be an issue. Since, it involves changing values in the database but not it's structure, this should not be problematic either.

    I don't know if you follow the developer Q/A and other interviews we've had with them, but the team notes that the original programmers that wrote the Mabi engine have since departed the company. The individuals that make up the team are completely different from the original creators. The developers have actually stated that because of this there are functionalities with the engine that they just do not understand due to the complexity and confusion on how they function, and are simply left alone if they haven't broken from a new update. In such instances these are "black boxes" and in the programming industry is pretty common. When the original creator leaves, some knowledge and understanding is lost due to improper documentation or that person's particular methods are hard to follow. Unlike your understanding where everything is documented properly the Dev team has gone on record to say that any many changes require extensive research into how the code functions before a change can be enacted. Even from the comments with in the code itself, in a strange bout of humor, the ORIGINAL developers left comments apologizing to the poor shumuck that has to edit tables for drop list updates. Furthermore as someone that has done tech support, code has broken horrifically from database changes. I've seen entire databases corrupt just because somehow an invalid entry was made. Mabi isn't a simple program, its original creators are long since gone and understanding of its core functions are limited, it has also gone through several teams of people each added their own changes, and modifications that are also poorly understood. And yes, Black boxes occur in very complex programs because that complexity makes dissecting those functions very difficult and time consuming.

    On that note, I don't know why you're constantly calling the developer Nexon. Nexon is the publisher, the developer is DevCat, which is still the developer that supports Mabi. And for the matter, you need to define WHICH Nexon, KR Nexon has far more power and scope than NA. For NA Nexon, the entirety of Mabi is a Black Box they are not allowed to open and in fact this server merge is done through devCat.

    Helsa wrote: »
    GTCvActium wrote: »
    Except we literally just had a server upgrade where the process is a simple "Move everything in its entirety to other hardware" and we still had stuff break on us.

    But that was an actual initial physical transfer of data to a third party host. That would take time and there is no way to practice it beforehand. It was a one-time event and they just had to roll up their sleeves and do it.

    Yes, but this is a straight copy to said third host with no changes to the data. The points for breaking are far fewer than this merger which will fuse several databases that will have many Primary Keys that could be duplicates on other servers, not to mention any foreign keys could reference improper locations thanks to said merge. On that note, they could practice such a transfer, we know that NA has access to different machines with copies of our data and even copies of the programs that run it (NA did a test server one time with a weeks old backup of our data), along with the new host they obtain, they could've and probably tested the transfer and was able to run the game fine. The issue was that they probably didn't notice that certain things were not saving during their tests. The point is that even with a smaller endeavor, the game STILL broke. Its a near total impossibility for this to be a smooth experience given what a big change this is. Remember, this is nothing like adding a new player, we are adding characters that have established links to other "characters" including actually other players, pets, partners, guilds, housing, etc. Again, the points of breaking are FAR greater. Unlike the host transfer, the requirements were that they ensured that the data arrived intact, all connections were stable, and all programs ran properly. (I suspect our hotkeys are saved to a separate database entirely and the reference was not changed properly). The point is that this shows what a massively complex program Mabi is. Even something so simple as a change in the host (again, should have absolutely NO change to user data) still managed to break something. And yes, they did have the ability to test before hand, they have copies/backup of our data, a test transfer is more than likely, and I'm almost certain they ran a test beforehand and confirmed that the programs ran with no crashes or issues.

    Again, this will NOT be a smooth experience.
  • NegumikoNegumiko
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,880
    Posts: 1,163
    Member
    Icefury wrote: »
    I sincerely hope that they merge Alexina too. At this point they shouldn't have a reason to have multiple servers. Please let us all play together.

    exactly, having two servers half full is pointless. old players won't leave Alexina, what I am concerned about is where new players will choose to go. maybe Nao server will get almost every new play or maybe Alexina server will but either way it slowly could end up hurting one of the two servers. if everything is one big server we would have the server mostly full instead of half full servers plus the new players won't have a divided community on both sides trying to rip their arms off while they choose. with only one server option nobody in the mabi community suffers. it is perfectly fine if Alexina is merged a month or so after the first merge so people can still create characters and stuff but Alexina should still be included in this server merge
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 21,655
    Posts: 4,940
    Member
    quote="GTCvActium;122814"]
    Helsa wrote: »
    GTCvActium wrote: »
    This is a merging of databases with thousands of variables and and millions of data elements, I don't expect anything to go smoothly at all given the condition and how Mabi itself is set up. The best case is that the majority of the population transitions into the new server intact with a few people affected due to being special cases that weren't accounted for. The worst case would be the merging fails because of too many failed cases or corruption of a significant portion of the population.

    It really isn't a merge in the true sense though. The entire Mabinogi NA database has been merged since Mabinogi first went live years ago. What's happening here is scripts will walk the entire database and every record that has a field called server will, if the value stored in it is not "Alexina" have it changed to "Nao". That, the renaming kludge, and the bit with the guild stones is pretty much all there is to it.

    Except "at the beginning" is with the original development team that built the game from scratch. This was both at a time where the game was far far simpler with fewer still players backed by a team that has full understanding of the game's code and database structures. The game today is far different than that time with numerous additions that complicates matters. Even with access to the original merging scripts it still does little due to the simple fact that its been over a decade since such a thing has been done. If anything I expected them to actually have wrote the scripts from scratch since major changes and additions have been made.
    [/quote]

    The game may have more added to it over time, but the basic paradigm of why it's is accessing the database to know the relevant server remains the same. If an object is about to perform an action in-game but the server upon which it will happen needs to be known, then what server the object is associated with is read and used appropriately. Whether it says "Ruari" or whether it say "Nao", the action remains the same. Granted, if during the merge they miss editing some of those fields and say leave them as "Ruari" when they should say "Nao", then that will break things. So, if your concern is that the merge might be handled sloppy, I suppose that is possible. But if it is not sloppy, then it'll work: the naming kludge, moving guild stones, and collecting of bank gold issues notwithstanding.
    GTCvActium wrote: »
    Helsa wrote: »
    GTCvActium wrote: »
    Also as KR has noted, much of the engine for Mabi are black boxes, even database changes could break the game horrifically leading to crashes, data corruption, and a slue of bugs.

    The point is that there are many MANY breaking points, too many to expect an intact transition. The most realistic thing is to probably brace yourself for the chance your character will be corrupted and give yourself a month long expectation while the dust settles and NA resolves the cases one at a time.

    The only black boxes Nexon could possibly have are third party libraries that the code might link to. In that case, if there are issues with them, then they contact the vendor for support. Since, the merge does not require changes to any code, it's strictly the editing of data values in the database, then any such black boxes won't be an issue. Since, it involves changing values in the database but not it's structure, this should not be problematic either.

    I don't know if you follow the developer Q/A and other interviews we've had with them, but the team notes that the original programmers that wrote the Mabi engine have since departed the company. The individuals that make up the team are completely different from the original creators. The developers have actually stated that because of this there are functionalities with the engine that they just do not understand due to the complexity and confusion on how they function, and are simply left alone if they haven't broken from a new update. In such instances these are "black boxes" and in the programming industry is pretty common. When the original creator leaves, some knowledge and understanding is lost due to improper documentation or that person's particular methods are hard to follow. Unlike your understanding where everything is documented properly the Dev team has gone on record to say that any many changes require extensive research into how the code functions before a change can be enacted. Even from the comments with in the code itself, in a strange bout of humor, the ORIGINAL developers left comments apologizing to the poor shumuck that has to edit tables for drop list updates. Furthermore as someone that has done tech support, code has broken horrifically from database changes. I've seen entire databases corrupt just because somehow an invalid entry was made. Mabi isn't a simple program, its original creators are long since gone and understanding of its core functions are limited, it has also gone through several teams of people each added their own changes, and modifications that are also poorly understood. And yes, Black boxes occur in very complex programs because that complexity makes dissecting those functions very difficult and time consuming.

    If you have a file of executable code, and no source code, then that is considered a black box. Even then technically it is not, because one could step through the assembler code, but um yeah . . . let's just call that a black box. If they have the source code though it is not, lack of proper documentation notwithstanding. It is a sad fact that even in the professional world, source code is usually not commented sufficiently, but that is par for the course. If you get a new software job, you will be handed something and have to figure it out, just like you did at all your previous jobs. Sure, it's a pain but you do it because that's what you're paid to do. For a new dev team facing insufficiently documented code made by a previous one, it will feel like a black box, at first for sure, but dev teams do more than conduct server merges. They have to fix bugs or add new features; they have to figure out the code. I understand your concern then that this could lead to missteps, while they ramp-up their familiarity with the code, but in this case, this merge does not require any editing of the game code. It is being accomplished strictly by editing fields in the database.
    GTCvActium wrote: »
    Helsa wrote: »
    GTCvActium wrote: »
    Except we literally just had a server upgrade where the process is a simple "Move everything in its entirety to other hardware" and we still had stuff break on us.

    But that was an actual initial physical transfer of data to a third party host. That would take time and there is no way to practice it beforehand. It was a one-time event and they just had to roll up their sleeves and do it.

    Yes, but this is a straight copy to said third host with no changes to the data. The points for breaking are far fewer than this merger which will fuse several databases that will have many Primary Keys that could be duplicates on other servers, not to mention any foreign keys could reference improper locations thanks to said merge.

    It's not a copy, it's an edit. Again there are no databases fused, it's all one database with objects having the values: Tarlach, Ruari, Mari, or Alexina, for their server fields. There are four active server objects of course, named after each of the servers; post merge there will be two. These objects will hold server wide relevant information such as guild stone placement, for example. Since guild stones spots are not going to survive this tells me they are making a new object called "Nao". "Nao" of course is likely to be the value contained in it's primary key, but that's fine as long as the objects that are supposed to be associated with it have "Nao" in their server field which of course would be one of their foreign keys. But here, the structure of the database remains the same you are just changing the values of the fields contained therein. Granted, if such fields fail to have their value changed to "Nao", where required post merge, then that will cause a break.
    GTCvActium wrote: »
    On that note, they could practice such a transfer, we know that NA has access to different machines with copies of our data and even copies of the programs that run it (NA did a test server one time with a weeks old backup of our data), along with the new host they obtain, they could've and probably tested the transfer and was able to run the game fine. The issue was that they probably didn't notice that certain things were not saving during their tests. The point is that even with a smaller endeavor, the game STILL broke.

    Interesting. I'd like to read more about that; do you have a link?
    GTCvActium wrote: »
    Its a near total impossibility for this to be a smooth experience given what a big change this is. Remember, this is nothing like adding a new player, we are adding characters that have established links to other "characters" including actually other players, pets, partners, guilds, housing, etc. Again, the points of breaking are FAR greater. Unlike the host transfer, the requirements were that they ensured that the data arrived intact, all connections were stable, and all programs ran properly. (I suspect our hotkeys are saved to a separate database entirely and the reference was not changed properly). The point is that this shows what a massively complex program Mabi is. Even something so simple as a change in the host (again, should have absolutely NO change to user data) still managed to break something. And yes, they did have the ability to test before hand, they have copies/backup of our data, a test transfer is more than likely, and I'm almost certain they ran a test beforehand and confirmed that the programs ran with no crashes or issues.

    Again, this will NOT be a smooth experience.

    That the UI was broken during the recent lengthy maintenance was surprising. That it was completely fixed about 24 hours later while the game was live would suggest that someone made an oversight. Still, granted, it is odd that it happened at all, and may be because, as you say, it is in a separate database entity or what-have-you. Since all the UI goodies came in later versions of the game, there may be merit to that idea. If that is the case then that indicates sloppy design, as the UI should be contained in each character record. This could have resulted of from many things including what you are calling Black Boxes and all that.

    I think we can both agree that if this is possible and if they are "sufficiently diligent" then there shouldn't be any problems outside of name theft, and having a rival guild take ones old guild stone spot and so on. Perhaps our perspectives differ in degree, in that you feel the action is of a level of complexity that the likelihood of oversights creating problems will be high, whereas I think the action is not particularly complex, LARGE to be sure, but not especially complex. Another difference in perspective may be in what we feel "smooth" means. This latest large maintenance with it's UI hiccup, though not perfect, I think could be considered reasonably smooth.




  • TwlnTwln
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,020
    Posts: 32
    Member
    Icefury wrote: »
    I sincerely hope that they merge Alexina too. At this point they shouldn't have a reason to have multiple servers. Please let us all play together.

    Answer is pretty simple. merging all servers into a North American server and adding more channels is a easy solution. Mabinogi wouldnt be the first game to do this. Its not rocket science or some deep philopshy that needs to be discussed.

    Since I picked up coding myself. I can definitely see it being done. It would just take time to do.But thats why these coders are being paid LOL
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 64,185
    Posts: 8,862
    Member
    edited May 22, 2019
    Icefury wrote: »
    I sincerely hope that they merge Alexina too. At this point they shouldn't have a reason to have multiple servers. Please let us all play together.

    Except it's a good idea to have at least 2 servers choices for server stability. I don't want to have a situation where I can't reach ch1 because it's "full". :|

    DISCLAIMER: since the following post is not made by an employee of Nexon or any of it's affiliates or partners, what is contained therein is ultimately speculation. Until Nexon or any of it's affiliates or partners has spoken definitively on the matters to be discussed, do not take them as granted, even if the language used happens to make it seem so.
    KageitoWolfsingerDarkpixie99
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 21,655
    Posts: 4,940
    Member
    edited May 21, 2019
    Twln wrote: »
    Icefury wrote: »
    I sincerely hope that they merge Alexina too. At this point they shouldn't have a reason to have multiple servers. Please let us all play together.

    Answer is pretty simple. merging all servers into a North American server and adding more channels is a easy solution. Mabinogi wouldnt be the first game to do this. Its not rocket science or some deep philopshy that needs to be discussed.

    Since I picked up coding myself. I can definitely see it being done. It would just take time to do.But thats why these coders are being paid LOL

    I certainly hope so, but Nao will also have 7 channels, so I'm told Katherz said. Although I also don't see why in software this could be a limit, in hardware it could be for something as stupidly simple as the number of physical ports on a "hub" or something. On the plus side under the "glimmer of hope" category. I found out the other day that the residential regions are hosted on CH 26. 7x4 is approximately 26. So MAYBE one day, as Diana Ross sang . . .

  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 64,185
    Posts: 8,862
    Member
    edited May 22, 2019
    Ugh, each server should have at least 10 channels.

    DISCLAIMER: since the following post is not made by an employee of Nexon or any of it's affiliates or partners, what is contained therein is ultimately speculation. Until Nexon or any of it's affiliates or partners has spoken definitively on the matters to be discussed, do not take them as granted, even if the language used happens to make it seem so.
  • PanPan
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,745
    Posts: 418
    Member
    Each server should have 1 channel. 10 channels creates too much separation.
  • LadameLadame
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,300
    Posts: 158
    Member
    I will say that Alexina doesn't really need more channels. 7 is fine. The channels other than 1 are pretty empty after all.
    Darkpixie99
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 21,655
    Posts: 4,940
    Member
    Pan wrote: »
    Each server should have 1 channel. 10 channels creates too much separation.

    You know, if they could make one server with one channel actually work, that WOULD be kinda awesome come to think of it.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 64,185
    Posts: 8,862
    Member
    edited May 22, 2019
    Helsa wrote: »
    Pan wrote: »
    Each server should have 1 channel. 10 channels creates too much separation.

    You know, if they could make one server with one channel actually work, that WOULD be kinda awesome come to think of it.

    But that of course wouldn't work for everyone.

    DISCLAIMER: since the following post is not made by an employee of Nexon or any of it's affiliates or partners, what is contained therein is ultimately speculation. Until Nexon or any of it's affiliates or partners has spoken definitively on the matters to be discussed, do not take them as granted, even if the language used happens to make it seem so.