Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Console crossplay

kairisoadorikairisoadori
Mabinogi Rep: 1,725
edited May 23, 2019 in Feedback and Suggestions
Enough said.
But a great idea to get more people into Mabinogi.
and honestly, ports have just become so much easier I can't see why not as mabinogi overall be a great console experience if you do the controls right alongside mabinogi 2 with Playstation and Microsoft finally allowing crossplay with swich it only makes sense for all 4.

Comments

• PinkiesandwichPinkiesandwich
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,015
    Uhh im not sure about that
    mabi doesnt seem like a game that would fair well with console controls
    LeineiHisahime
  • kairisoadorikairisoadori
    edited May 30, 2019
    Why not take final fantasy xiv controls, for instance, r1 l1 and up down left right x o square and triangle thats 16 possible keybinds for skills potions pets est ofc a tiny hud revamp for controller kinda like path of exile or neverwinter's inventory for better controller convenience use or just utilize it like a mouse with square to pick up and place items x to bring up a right click option r1 and x for fast use in inventory overall controller support be the easiest part of transferring it to console mabinogi was always a perfect controller game because of wasd movement r2 to right click and move screen l2 to attack or left click they can even share nao and Alexina servers now sense console isnt being picky about who joins for now
  • justshowingjustshowing
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,060
    deffinitely not the original mabi... its too complicated to sort out on a controller.

now... about that mabi mobile... make that game for pc mobile and nintendo switch?
    hell you'd have me buying that game if it would cost anything to download it.
    THICCthighssavelives
    Again no its not try looking at final fantasy xiv controller config thats 16 skills
  • DraechDraech
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,390
    I can't imagine pressing a button repeatedly to select a target and hope I don't skip it, like using Tab right now. This game requires you to click for it to be remotely viable during the fast-paced combat, since most skills don't execute unless a target is selected, to the contrary of FFXIV. Also, Mabi isn't visually appealing, so no way that it'll make it onto the console market. Finally, I can't imagine the Pleione engine being adapted to consoles when even the devs aren't sure how it works (magic, maybe? or the tears of people playing as alchemists?).
    THICCthighssavelivesDanievictria
    edited June 5, 2019
    Mabinogi is tab targeting what click r1 and a attack your automatically running up to attack a monster what doesnt make sense
    r2 and x l2 and x o square circle up down left right the 2 joy sticks for moving 16 possible keybinds movement and l1 r1 left for extra config such as r1 being lock on l1 being a extra button to bind like the rest of the skills
  • LidrsterLidrster
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,830
    edited June 5, 2019
    honestly, ports have just become so much easier
    Ports didn't magically became easier.
    Either a lot of work was put in for older games, or, for recent games, they were developped with port in mind.

Also, about 10 years ago, Nexon announced an Xbox 360 version of Mabinogi, but it got cancelled.
  • MaiaMaia
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,195
    edited June 5, 2019
    This isn't a totally terrible idea (as many might blindly think). Nexon already had a complete port developed for the xbox 360 (starting in 2007 and completing in 2009). This was obviously a much older version of the game which was in a lot of ways more clunky than the current game. They still thought it would work on the console and somehow found a way to make it work with a controller (they finished the game). I was excited to hear about the idea of playing the console version however they scrapped the idea. We can only speculate why they decided it was a bad idea (after making the entire game) but it probably boils down to the fact they wouldn't have as big of an audience on consoles and it wouldn't be a profitable venture.

That all said, times change. Could now be a better time for a mabinogi port onto the console world? Probably not unfortunately lol If the game is struggling on PC, I don't think spreading it thinner is going to help. I like the idea. I want to get my xbox friends into the game. But I don't see it happening, ever.
  • NinzerkerNinzerker
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,640
    If need be it would be faster and easier to just implement controller support for the game as it is, and would also limit requiring paying for Xbox Live Gold, Switch Online, or Playstation Network in order to play
    No one said anything about ports becoming magically easier or magic in the slightest im not a dumbass clearly i can debate game devs same with net trolls Lidrster
    Maia mabinogi never had a complete port that the public would be aware of a announcement on there plans is there planning on putting money into a adventure project next its clear you dont understand data centers or coding if your going to use history as a defense nexon has hired people to optimize there data a few times now and basically that alone should be enough for you to not compare then and now
    edited June 5, 2019
    Free to play games on ps4 dont require ps plus and as well playstation has made large exclusive deals with tera neverwinter and onigiri to name a few to port over
  • MaiaMaia
    Ninzerker wrote: »
    If need be it would be faster and easier to just implement controller support for the game as it is, and would also limit requiring paying for Xbox Live Gold, Switch Online, or Playstation Network in order to play

It would be interesting but I don't think they'd add controller support. There's already a lot of button/key customization we can't do. Not to mention adding controller support would just handicap people who chose to use controllers (it IS clunkier, just no way around it) and wouldn't solve the problem of reaching a broader audience by appealing to those without PC's. It's not just about controllers after all.

Xbox live, switch online, etc. are pretty much a non-issue. They're part of the gaming world and widely accepted by console players. There's also plenty of free to play games on consoles so this wouldn't be a new concept either.
    edited June 5, 2019
    Fyi people have already configured controllers to mabinogi hundreds of times in the past 10 years clunkier that doesnt make any sense controller support be a fine place to start thats 99% of the issues ive seen when i post this is people dont understand how easy it would be for them to add controller support
  • MaiaMaia
    edited June 5, 2019
    Maia mabinogi never had a complete port that the public would be aware of a announcement on there plans is there planning on putting money into a adventure project next its clear you dont understand data centers or coding if your going to use history as a defense nexon has hired people to optimize there data a few times now and basically that alone should be enough for you to not compare then and now

I could be wrong but this was my source. They had a functioning game but yes, no one was publicly able to play it and they didn't get to any beta phases.

It's difficult to understand your arguments other than your initial rebuttal because your posts are long run-on sentences. I can't even tell who you're talking to tbh. I was somewhat playing devils advocate and siding with your OP but if I'm understanding correctly, you're saying "the game is way different/more complicated/difficult to port now than it was back then" then yes I agree and already said it was a much older version of the game they ported. I also stated that I don't see it happening for numerous reasons.
    Your claim only makes you sound like a troll wheres the proof they had a functioning game on console see arguments become a waste of time and clearly make you look like a troll when your making wild allegations that you cant prove ultimately not worth your time to place in the first place
  • SpareohSpareoh
    Mabinogi Rep: 780
    I can't really imagine Mabinogi working with any kind of controller but you have a good idea started! They could revamp it so they actions aren't quite the same and I personally love the idea because it might give us a "just story-mode" where you can play thru the story offline and enjoy the game with or without other players.
  • MaiaMaia
    edited June 5, 2019
    Your claim only makes you sound like a troll wheres the proof they had a functioning game on console see arguments become a waste of time and clearly make you look like a troll when your making wild allegations that you cant prove ultimately not worth your time to place in the first place

I posted a link in the very post you're responding to. I was also siding with you for most of the time. I'm not even sure what your point is or the point of this thread is anymore. I'm done, seeya.
    Spareoh
  • NinzerkerNinzerker
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,640
    Free to play games on ps4 dont require ps plus and as well playstation has made large exclusive deals with tera neverwinter and onigiri to name a few to port over

While I cannot confirm the state of Playstation Network allowing free to play multiplayer games without their paid services, I can however confirm neither of those statements are true for Xbox.
    I can and have played Neverwinter, Tera, and Onigiri on my Xbox. So they are not Playstation exclusives.
    Nor can you play them without an active Xbox Live Gold subscription.
    Maia wrote: »
    It would be interesting but I don't think they'd add controller support. There's already a lot of button/key customization we can't do. Not to mention adding controller support would just handicap people who chose to use controllers (it IS clunkier, just no way around it) and wouldn't solve the problem of reaching a broader audience by appealing to those without PC's. It's not just about controllers after all.

Xbox live, switch online, etc. are pretty much a non-issue. They're part of the gaming world and widely accepted by console players. There's also plenty of free to play games on consoles so this wouldn't be a new concept either.

I agree that it's unlikely we'll see controller support. However as for keybinds, there's already alot of binds and shortcuts and options that go underused, unknown, and underutilised. Don't know how many times I've mentioned that you can keybind something like pet info screens or talent page and don't have to dig through menus to people that legitimately didn't know about them after months to years of play.
    Fact of the matter is, people don't want to pour through and fine tune settings, they just want to get in the game and have fun. They like a standardised control scheme. For example look at every shooter having nearly identical control schemes, someone found something that worked adequately, and it spread from there. (Try playing the N64 classic shooters and come back with how well the controls have aged in comparison to even a lackluster modern title.)
    Personally I have mixed feelings about controller to keyboard+mouse, Analog movement feels so much more natural than the cramped and asymmetrical WASD movement, yet the precise control of the mouse cannot be matched by the controller.
    Currently I have 80 different skills ready to be launched at any time, not to mention additional tabs for number keys, F-number keys and second sets extra tabs as well. That is A LOT to juggle through. And I wouldn't be adverse to shortening that that somewhere near 12-16 most frequently used skills and abilities, and having to menu more often to switch them out periodically. It would definitely help assist against the UI being so cluttered feeling.
    Biggest PROs:
    My laptop is so old and busted it can't or simply won't install a new mouse because it requires upgrading drivers. But my USB controllers still work fine.
    Less screen clutter
    Biggest CONs
    Typing chat on consoles is garbage without a USB keyboard
    Inventory management would be nightmarish

And while true the paid services aren't anything new and yes there are some legitimate free to play games on them. But in order to play a multiplayer game, Battle Royales, Hero Shooters, MOBA and MMO alike they all require a paid subscription service. My comment wasn't about it being a new concept at all, but the fact that we already have it for FREE free, (Barring rent/mortgage fees, power utilities, and service provider charges of course!) so porting it behind a paywall, accepted or not doesn't seem the best option.
    Additionally, the surge in new players wouldn't be long lasting as many people are turned off by the outdated graphics, and relatively slow game speed and will probably move on before they realise the finer points to Mabi sadly.
    DraechSpareohHisahime
    edited June 7, 2019
    All these games you can play 100% free no ps plus subscriptions needed games like final fantasy xiv or elder scrolls online you do need a subscription but like tera neverwinter onigiri dauntless est no need people have bound mouse functions to the left joy con and wasd to the right joy con with l2/r2+ x o square and circle to add 16 keybinds to there controllers thru control systems called DS4Windows est these arguments you people keep trying are losing arguments because clear as day you dont know what your talking about