Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Jousting Finals

Comments

• HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    How goes the competition? I might be back soon.

It's all up on YouTube. Since Erinn start-up, we've had finals every Sunday. With one exception they've all been four-rounders. The exception was a five-rounder. :)

As of this writing, you are currently ranked tenth.
    Kensamaofmari
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    Helsa wrote: »

It's all up on YouTube. Since Erinn start-up, we've had finals every Sunday. With one exception they've all been four-rounders. The exception was a five-rounder. :)

Interesting. Despite an entire summer away, I'm still tenth.
  • HelsaHelsa

Yeah, but you WERE first; you've got some sleeve-rolling-upping to do!
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745

Do I have to?
  • HelsaHelsa

Do I have to?

Your Naowegian brethren have continued to improve now that they have the folks from Alexina to challenge them. The top three are in a dead heat with each other. They are the top two from Alexina and the top one from Nao. The rest of the top ten, above you, are half Naowegian and half Alexinan. What I'm trying to say is that rather than having a handful of worthy opponents, to contend with, you have two handfuls. Get crackin' and I'm happy to see you back! ^^
  • HelsaHelsa
    2022 Nov 20
    The final had 15-1 and it can be found here.

The winner from last week didn't show and neither did Kenkosamaformerlyofmari. Oh well, no soup for either of them.
  • HelsaHelsa
    2022 Nov 27
    The final had 12 and it can be found here.

A few folks couldn't make it out this week but we still had a four-rounder.
  • HelsaHelsa
    2022 Dec 4
    The final had 11-1 and it can be found here.

Ordinarily, jousting is dominated by humans. This week, however, an elf moved up to third place in the rankings!
  • HelsaHelsa
    2022 Dec 11
    The final had 17-1 and it can be found here.

A great turn-out this week, as some old friends returned and a lot of new folks showed up ... and ... well ... got PWNed. Good time had by all! ^^

• WolfsingerWolfsinger
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,875
    Last week they did the exact same thing. In both cases they lost the farm.

As a Harvest Moon player, this is concerning on multiple levels XD
    Is a good reminder though that I need to do some studying again tho. Gotta repair this building.
  • HelsaHelsa
    edited December 17, 2022
    Wolfsinger wrote: »

Is a good reminder though that I need to do some studying again tho. Gotta repair this building.

Well, at least you're reading it. So, many folks you're facing are just jousting on their gut and the only thing that's saving them is that, most of the time, their opponent is also jousting on their gut. My dad tells me that in the '80's there was an expression: "Friends don't let friends joust on their gut"; words as true today as they were then.
    Wolfsinger
  • WolfsingerWolfsinger
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,875

Well, at least you're reading it. So, many folks you're facing are just jousting on their gut and the only thing that's saving them is that, most of the time, their opponent is also jousting on their gut. My dad tells me that in the '80's there was an expression: "Friends don't let friends joust on their gut"; words as true today as they were then.

Gut only takes you so far, yeah. It can work, but I like having a gameplan to work off of where I'm allowed - and while there is luck here, its interesting finding how its really only a small part of the battle, unlike r-p-s. So, I read, and do my best to learn. I'll get there eventually lol
  • HelsaHelsa

Gut only takes you so far, yeah. It can work, but I like having a gameplan to work off of where I'm allowed - and while there is luck here, its interesting finding how its really only a small part of the battle, unlike r-p-s. So, I read, and do my best to learn. I'll get there eventually lol

I have found that the jousting mini-game, because it is so very simple, is actually a very good medium for learning the basic fundamental tenets of competition itself which, if you can sus out the analogies to whatever it is that you are presently considering, can be applied to other forms of competition. For example, in jousting you learn the three phases of learning the game:
    (1) learn all the rules,
    (2) learn the strategies and tactics, and
    (3) learn the opponents.
    Well, isn't this exactly the same for any other kind of competition?

In your situation, the best ways to learn the strategy and tactics are:
    (1) like in chess, read the literature, since so many, probably, better players have already thought about what you may be thinking about or, at least, have for a lot longer,
    (2) in jousting itself, I cannot emphasize strongly enough to learn all the damages. This will allow you to have matches "on paper" so you can work things out. Trial and error, that's the heart of design, evolution, and AI neural networks; use it.

Learning the opponents isn't just looking for their patterns but how they handle risk under a variety of circumstances. From jousting I learned the value of reputation. I think Napoleon himself said that a good reputation is worth a division, or something like that. When you break this idea down to brass tacks, what it means is that if you have a fearsome reputation then your opponents will either be too cautious or too reckless against you; jousting taught me this. Our present first ranked jouster, on Erinn, was the runaway winner of the Alexina rankings. They're very good, to be sure, but many play just as well. The difference, I think, has been their reputation.
    Wolfsinger
  • HelsaHelsa
    edited December 20, 2022
    2022 Dec 18
    The final had 13-1 and it can be found here.

Spoilt* tourney this week, so two second place finishers.

* A spoilt tournament is one where the final round contains at least one match involving an NPC where all the NPC matches are won by the NPCs leaving no one to face the winner of the PvP match. When this happens the winner of the PvP match is declared the tournament winner and everybody else, in the round, is declared second place finishers.
  • HelsaHelsa
    2022 Dec 25

Spoilt* tourney this week, so two second place finishers.

This was the last final for 2022, so the end-of-year jousting ladder/rankings can be found here.

* A spoilt tournament is one where the final round contains at least one match involving an NPC where all the NPC matches are won by the NPCs leaving no one to face the winner of the PvP match. When this happens the winner of the PvP match is declared the tournament winner and everybody else, in the round, is declared second place finishers.

• HelsaHelsa
    edited January 5, 2023
    2023 Jan 1
    The final had 19-1 and it can be found here.

Well, this was a final unlike any other. This was Erinn's second bona-fide five-rounder, but what was unusual was that the winner accidentally won. The winner was ... me! Here's why that's weird.

I don't compete in the finals any more. I register to help ensure as big a turn-out as possible. The more characters competing, the better it is for everyone. I used to quit-out immediately but changed to letting my characters auto-joust, since my character participating allows for more characters to move up to later rounds. I auto-joust as it's fair to the opponent, in that I'm not trying to beat them, but it's also fair to everyone else in that I'm not trying to make it easy for them either; sure, an auto-jousting character is pretty easy to beat, but I can't help that.

When Nao was created, I bought a second computer so I could document the jousting on Alexina AND Nao. With the final merge, I now have two characters that I can bring to the final. So, in the first round I faced myself and taller me moved on. For the next three rounds I faced NPC's. I don't auto-joust NPC's because if I can move on it means more characters can move on to later rounds, so it's better for everyone if I can beat the NPC. Well, this got me all the way to the final match. I asked my opponent if they would mind me trying to win and they said that it was okay for me to try. I tried, I won! It ended up being a tie-breaker, but still ...

EDIT: Oh, my winning a lance put giants on the board, finally, on Erinn. Unfortunately, giants joust at a handicap since their combo is bad. Our favorite forum troll Pan told me that on the Korean site there's word that jousting will get an update; maybe they'll make things better for giants!
  • HelsaHelsa
    2023 Jan 8
    The final had 14-1 and it can be found here.

We had some newcomers and some folks returning after a long absence, of course they were all gone by the third round but still ...

It ain't just rock paper scissors. The sooner you learn that the better.

• HelsaHelsa
    edited January 16, 2023
    ... Our favorite forum troll Pan told me that on the Korean site there's word that jousting will get an update; maybe they'll make things better for giants!

They sent me this from the Korean site:
    xPUMhtF.png

None, of the items can be clicked on so there are no further details at this point.

I had to post the image here, instead of them, because ... well click on their name and you'll see why. o.O
  • HelsaHelsa
    2023 Jan 15

Our good elven friend, from Tarlach, whom registers but does not compete was paired with the NPC this week. So when they quit out, it mucked up the first round, giving about a third of the jousters byes, and seconding them to the second round; fun fun fun.
  • HelsaHelsa
    edited February 2, 2023
    2023 Jan 22
    The final had 13 and it can be found here.

A good friend of ours, from Nao, whom had six second places on Nao, with no first places, and went into the finals with four second places on Erinn, with no first places, finally got their first win! Congratz to them!