Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the RE:Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/74016/re-life-patch-notes-april-28th-2022
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Server Merge

Comments

  • HardmuscleHardmuscle
    Mabinogi Rep: 13,035
    Posts: 2,554
    Member
    edited August 23, 2017
    Samuelalex wrote: »
    I feel bad for the original owner because of all this off topic spam. Dont indulge this and unfortunately despite my efforts to focus on the main topic these people co timue to spam and force their negative opinions on others so this thread will be shut down and no one can get the server merge they want to be with active and friendly people. I know there was support for this, but because they flood this thread with spam it likely wont even been seen besides all the attacks on me because I want to pick where I can go after the merge to be away from such hostility. I guess this reinforces my point that I want to be on a different server after the merge, but i know they wont let it happen. Sorry guys this thread got sabotaged by them because i posted in it and they are attacking me everywhere I post now.
    If you truly felt bad, you would stop trying to sow the seeds of discord.
    Vheissu wrote: »
    i have no idea what is going on here between you two but please stop. This is the most childish petty thing i have seen in a long long time and for either of you to continue to entertain each others replies with another is to be quite frank depressing i do not care what the issues behind this are so please do not try to justify yourself to me or anyone else on these forums. Anyway back to the topic at hand i think a server merge would be both a good and bad idea mainly due to the fact that there are instances where 2 people may have similar names and or similar pet names. I recently returned to Vindictus briefly to find that my original name had been deleted and replaced with numbers this was due to a cleaning of names they had done a while back. I believe the same could be done here if a server merge were to occur the active players could verify they are still around and using that name and character thus keeping it around while in turn all dead accounts/pets and the like would have their names taken away and replaced with numbers thus freeing up a majority of names for characters and pets alike. The issue would the lie with accounts in which both peoples characters are active but they also have the same name in regards to such an occurrence i would suggest going either by seniority of the account or by some other means. if all these issues along with the other various issues could be worked out i would love to see a server merge and make tons of new friends especially if it would mean we would have less instances of issues like those above me from occurring.
    MapleStory is different, in that names are unique across servers. Meaning a name cannot be used again, on each of them.

    In Mabinogi, a name can be reused on each of the servers; and despite characters with the same name being able to coexist on the same server (this can be done); it would cause an unnecessary mess. ~ Please take note: This is a community discussion; not an official one.
    Ataraxiz
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,755
    Posts: 6,972
    Member
    edited August 23, 2017
    Vheissu wrote: »
    I recently returned to Vindictus briefly to find that my original name had been deleted and replaced with numbers this was due to a cleaning of names they had done a while back. I believe the same could be done here if a server merge were to occur the active players could verify they are still around and using that name and character thus keeping it around while in turn all dead accounts/pets and the like would have their names taken away and replaced with numbers thus freeing up a majority of names for characters and pets alike.

    Very good idea. I support this.

    Actually there's another option on how to clean out inactive accounts. I have experienced Server Transfer before in another game and they asked players to log in within month at least once before the transfer happens and also asked us to provide an email and such in our accounts so they could see who's active and who's not. Accounts who weren't touched at least once for a whole month were erased and gone forever.


    HardmuscleAtaraxizSherriPlatinaKoki
  • SamuelalexSamuelalex
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,350
    Posts: 430
    Member
    Your the ones attacking me and i must add ganging up 3-1 against me so lets see if you stop bullying and go back to topic.

    If names can be the same over each of the server I guess older account could keep it and younger account would have to pick new name since names are usually first come first serve. Could people pick a new name when they merge the servers or would that make everyone upset with me to?
  • HardmuscleHardmuscle
    Mabinogi Rep: 13,035
    Posts: 2,554
    Member
    edited August 23, 2017
    Samuelalex wrote: »
    If names can be the same over each of the server I guess older account could keep it and younger account would have to pick new name since names are usually first come first serve. Could people pick a new name when they merge the servers or would that make everyone upset with me to?
    No one would have more of a right to their name than another. They could coexist and there are many ways this could be made to work with little hassle. ~ but don't mistake my knowledge in this area as a form of support for merges. ~ They are much more a detriment than a benefit.

    A starting example to make layman sense of it, would be items. ~ Thousands of items with the same name coexist on the same server.....
    Ataraxiz
  • SamuelalexSamuelalex
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,350
    Posts: 430
    Member
    For items there must be a way to distinguish them from each other. I think someone mentioned a serial number of some kind tied to them to make them unique.

    If a player was given a serial number in the same way it could allow for same names but might be confusing trying to contact people. Hm maybe one name could have a capital letter added to make it different? Might complicate the system to have to search for duplicate names and try to modify one of them so its not the exact same. This would be something to consider how to deal with duplicate character names so its a good topic to get some ideas on.
  • HardmuscleHardmuscle
    Mabinogi Rep: 13,035
    Posts: 2,554
    Member
    edited August 23, 2017
    Samuelalex wrote: »
    For items there must be a way to distinguish them from each other. I think someone mentioned a serial number of some kind tied to them to make them unique.

    If a player was given a serial number in the same way it could allow for same names but might be confusing trying to contact people. Hm maybe one name could have a capital letter added to make it different? Might complicate the system to have to search for duplicate names and try to modify one of them so its not the exact same. This would be something to consider how to deal with duplicate character names so its a good topic to get some ideas on.
    We've had this discussion before (not you and me personally, but in this thread and others before it). All characters, pets, partners, items, guilds, skills, (tons of things) have unique identifiers separating themselves from one another. The only problems this game has to face in that respect is gold or ducats, where unique identifiers for each object is "almost" impossible. ~ By unique identifiers, I mean a string of numbers (not names).

    Refer to: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hash_function
    j1xwUHi.png

    and/or ~ : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hash_table
    mA0Sjm1.png
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,330
    Posts: 2,744
    Member
    BxXjRwb.gif

    Hm.. okay.. uh huh.. alrighty.. Hm skip those replies.. ah.

    No server merge for you.

    The troll hungers for more. He stomps through the village, snatching up people and eating them. There is no stop to his rampage, nothing can break his mind. He lurks on the smart to break their minds down enough to eat them whole. Not even a VFM can save us from such a wicked creature. The only thing we can do now is to build barriers and traps to catch him. We must build up our armies to defend our village, no matter what the cost. If we fall here, the whole entirety of our nation will fall into the hands of the bots and trolls. We must stand up and fight!
    HardmuscleGretaAtaraxiz
  • SamuelalexSamuelalex
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,350
    Posts: 430
    Member
    edited August 23, 2017
    Well this stayed on topic for a few posts woo.

    For gold and ducats maybe issue people checks to make the id process easier. Once merge is done is checks can go back into bank... But fees would be a problem for that too. Guess they would have to ask if people wanted to do checks or try to find some other method.

    Another think Im wondering about is homesteads if we could keep it as is or have to redo it. I have all the expansions and would like to keep my homestead size. I could always empty my stead and replace everything if it came down to that, but hopefully everyone can keep their homestead size.
  • HardmuscleHardmuscle
    Mabinogi Rep: 13,035
    Posts: 2,554
    Member
    edited August 23, 2017
    Samuelalex wrote: »
    Well this stayed on topic for a few posts woo.

    For gold and ducats maybe issue people checks to make the id process easier. Once merge is done is checks can go back into bank... But fees would be a problem for that too. Guess they would have to ask if people wanted to do checks or try to find some other method.

    Another think Im wondering about is homesteads if we could keep it as is or have to redo it. I have all the expansions and would like to keep my homestead size. I could always empty my stead and replace everything if it came down to that, but hopefully everyone can keep their homestead size.
    It's stayed on topic because we're trying desperately to ignore your little quips (such as the one you made just now). It would not have veered so far off topic if you had been more civil hours ago, but let us pretend to be the victim to spite everyone else right? It's one thing for us to ponder the possibilities, Sam, it's another to speak as though this is going to happen and to make preparations. It is the definition of presumptuous; not harassment or any other word in the dictionary; simply presumptuous.
    GretaAtaraxizSherri
  • PlatinaKokiPlatinaKoki
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,760
    Posts: 950
    Member
    edited August 23, 2017
    Samuelalex wrote: »
    Hey you and your friends started drama just like in my thread so it would be closed because its not what you want. It doesnt benefit you and the truth is your scared if people are given the choice where to go they will chose a server your not on so you cant defame them and harass them anymore. Glad to see your targeting yet another thread for closure because you think you can decide what gets approved and what doesnt. Take note of this everyone if any of these people disagree with you they will spam your threads with negativity so they can report it and get it closed. Its happened several times now. Also you need to stop with this strikes system you made up because your not an admin and dont get to punish people for being different from what you want. Thats exactly what happened before I am constantly targeted and harassed because I want something that would help me and my friends move away from abusive people and have a great time without them sabotaging us. I wont stand by as people attack me over and over. The fact is is the second thread this has happened in shows you are all stalking me and other people will suffer for it like all the people who want this to happen that you are making sure it never will. Good job not helping the community get something to improve the game and make it better for them.

    Also notice ones attacking me are same ones who voted no and continued to post to try and force that opinion on others. Its same thing they did before. Either they get their way or the thread gets spammed by negativity so they can report it and make it close.

    YOU are the one pushing your opinions on others. What Hardmuscle, myself, and all the other people who disagree with you have been saying, is that Nexon has already given their answer. YOU don't want to accept that, so you act like the victim.

    Who knows? Maybe YOU'RE the one causing harassment on your server. Your behavior here would attest to that.
    GretaHardmuscleAtaraxizSherri
  • SamuelalexSamuelalex
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,350
    Posts: 430
    Member
    edited August 23, 2017
    Hey that was meant to be a good thing but you took it negatively. It seemed like you guys were finally going to stick to the topic and give some input but looks like I was wrong. Im going to continue talking about the server merge and the things that may help if it is considered.

    So are all the other people who posted before me pushing their opinions too? Like I said there is no post here from admins saying this is rejected so its an open discussion for people to post their ideas. I would think if they were against this they would have said so in the beginning and closed the thread instead of letting it be open so long. Suggestions are simply that but I am attacked because I am on the supporting side while others here seem against it. Now I am being attacked 4 on 1 for supporting merging servers and suggesting things that could help along the way. Makes me feel like I will always be attacked for my ideas now. If you really think its going to fail then wait and see if it does instead of focusing on negativity.
  • HardmuscleHardmuscle
    Mabinogi Rep: 13,035
    Posts: 2,554
    Member
    Samuelalex wrote: »
    Im going to continue talking about the server merge
    What server merge? :s
    AtaraxizSherriZurcishere
  • SamuelalexSamuelalex
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,350
    Posts: 430
    Member
    The one you dont want but others do. Wait and see what happens with this thread before you decide what will happen. Nothing is set in stone and things can change. Lets keep the focus on the topic because you were doing well with that for a bit. I almost felt relieved. I guess I need to be more literal with my speaking from now on because you take things so serious when it was meant to be a positive comment. Correcting myself now it will be a wonderful thing if and when this topic going back to the real subject of the discussion.
  • HardmuscleHardmuscle
    Mabinogi Rep: 13,035
    Posts: 2,554
    Member
    edited August 23, 2017
    Samuelalex wrote: »
    The one you dont want....
    It's not just about me (despite your attempt to make it such).

    Here's a challenge for you Sam. ~ Show me one instance of Nexon supporting this topic; ever, in North America, for Mabinogi.
    AtaraxizSherri
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,330
    Posts: 2,744
    Member
    Samuelalex wrote: »
    Hey that was meant to be a good thing but you took it negatively. It seemed like you guys were finally going to stick to the topic and give some input but looks like I was wrong. Im going to continue talking about the server merge and the things that may help if it is considered.

    So are all the other people who posted before me pushing their opinions too? Like I said there is no post here from admins saying this is rejected so its an open discussion for people to post their ideas. I would think if they were against this they would have said so in the beginning and closed the thread instead of letting it be open so long. Suggestions are simply that but I am attacked because I am on the supporting side while others here seem against it. Now I am being attacked 4 on 1 for supporting merging servers and suggesting things that could help along the way. Makes me feel like I will always be attacked for my ideas now. If you really think its going to fail then wait and see if it does instead of focusing on negativity.

    Like many others has said, there will be no server merge.
    This thread is not officially supported or confirmed by Nexon NA or Nexon KR.
    It is merely a thread for people to post opinions on the matter and facts behind the business/technical issues facing a hypothetical server merge, as well as it being there so others do not make the same 'Server Merge' thread every other day.

    If you have nothing to comment actually pertaining to the conversation, then you should stop commenting.
    HardmuscleAtaraxizGretaPlatinaKoki
  • AtaraxizAtaraxiz
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,910
    Posts: 664
    Member
    Negativity has usually been resourced by you, and you still continue to spite everyone with your little quips (as HardMuscle pointed out). You are the cause of this "negativity". You're the one who can't react appropriately when your opinion is challenged. Don't blame us for reacting the same as you have been.

    >You post.
    >We try to explain why it's not possible.
    >You point out we've also disagreed with you in other places, but you mis-evaluate that we have also agreed with you on other posts.
    >You claim we're harassing you because we disagree and try to prove our point and instead of reacting appropriately you make out-of-the-blue assumptions without trying to prove why you believe otherwise. (Not counting your posts about how this thread would be closed if Nexon really disagreed. They have closed threads and made statements via stream. This thread is specifically to please public eye.)
    > We challenge you more and you tell us to leave, and claim we're trying to be moderators.
    >We point out you are also at fault, and you basically panic and claim HARASSMENT again. (Like you've never done anything wrong. You've never even apologized for how you've made people feel. We only treat you with the same treatment you give us, but of course Sam is always in the right about everything. Bless him.)

    So fed up e,e It's a wonder why you're so eager to keep things up.
    HardmuscleGretaSherri
  • PlatinaKokiPlatinaKoki
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,760
    Posts: 950
    Member
    Samuelalex wrote: »
    Hm? Again you are presuming to know how nexon works and how their economy works when you are not an employee or staff member. Im sure everyone can learn the economy of other counties with a google search but that has nothing to do with the subject other than you once again forcing your opinions onto others.

    Isnt that post is kind of trolling? Like I said folks ignore these spammers and their negativity towards this because its not what they want so hopefully the people who do want to express their opinions and support can do so without them being attacked or harassed for it. I will await nexons final word on this and hope this gains enough support for consideration.

    Since you continue to assume nexons position that this will not happen let me ask again why did you even post here in the first place? Why continue to post if you know your going to get your way and have this denied despite the other people showing support of it for quite a long time btw. Seems like you feel this will get approved so you want to spread negativity so it doesnt otherwise you would let it go and let it fail on its own like you claim it will.

    The part I bolded; there, you're saying that people who disagree with a server merge aren't allowed to post here.

    Pot calling the kettle black, and all.
    AtaraxizHardmuscleSherri
  • AtaraxizAtaraxiz
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,910
    Posts: 664
    Member
    Samuelalex wrote: »
    Hm? Again you are presuming to know how nexon works and how their economy works when you are not an employee or staff member. Im sure everyone can learn the economy of other counties with a google search but that has nothing to do with the subject other than you once again forcing your opinions onto others.

    Isnt that post is kind of trolling? Like I said folks ignore these spammers and their negativity towards this because its not what they want so hopefully the people who do want to express their opinions and support can do so without them being attacked or harassed for it. I will await nexons final word on this and hope this gains enough support for consideration.

    Since you continue to assume nexons position that this will not happen let me ask again why did you even post here in the first place? Why continue to post if you know your going to get your way and have this denied despite the other people showing support of it for quite a long time btw. Seems like you feel this will get approved so you want to spread negativity so it doesnt otherwise you would let it go and let it fail on its own like you claim it will.

    The part I bolded; there, you're saying that people who disagree with a server merge aren't allowed to post here.

    Pot calling the kettle black, and all.

    Tacking on to their post here:

    Ehem...
    Opinions
    - Opinions are welcomed. However, we do expect you to respect the opinions of others, even if you do not agree with them.
    HardmuscleSherriPlatinaKoki
  • SamuelalexSamuelalex
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,350
    Posts: 430
    Member
    Its not really up to you and the ones who decide if it is possible or not is Nexon so I have been asking them to come and confirm or deny this which they dont. As far as Im concerned this is an open descussion until an admin can come and tell us their reasons why this wont happen despite the support this had before you all started targeting me over my comment to move to another server as part of the merge which is the real reason behind the attacks. I no longer want to be on the server I am harassed and defamed consantly and if merger happens I could possibly pick a new better server that such hostility does not happen and you would think someone would support that but Im being bullied over it instead.

    The thread would be closed because of people attacking me over my opinion and forcing theirs on me. Basically because you dont want it no one else can and you tell people its automatic no which is what you want. If they didnt want to hear the players opinions (including yours since you posted here too) this thread and all the others you claim are opened and closed everyday would not exist. If it was an automatic no why not close thread immediatly and tell people so? This is a suggestion not a mandate so stop treating it like its the most horrible thing that could ever happen. Hopefully they listen to the suggestions at least before shooting something down because of negativity by people who dont want it.

    Stop starting up drama to derail the thread. You were doing so good and actually participating in realtive conversation but now its back to the personal attacks. This time you cant say its my fault because I said something positive to encourage discussion and it was viewed negatively to attack me.

    Back on topic because Id rather not go round and round with negative attacks again. It wasnt fun the first time and wont be now.
    We have already heard negative comments about this never happening according to players but not yet confirmed by Nexon Staff in this thread, but as this is a very popular subject I hope that Nexon will work with the community to at least consider the possiblities that this can have to positively influance the game and its players. This subject is to try and make the game better for everyone which is the purpose of suggestions in the first place. Anyways Im done feeding the bullies and will be responding to actual ideas and comments not attacks and harassment. Im sure they will keep spamming to get their way though.
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,330
    Posts: 2,744
    Member
    edited August 23, 2017
    Samuelalex wrote: »
    Its not really up to you and the ones who decide if it is possible or not is Nexon so I have been asking them to come and confirm or deny this which they don't. As far as I'm concerned this is an open discussion until an admin can come and tell us their reasons why this wont happen despite the support this had before you all started targeting me over my comment to move to another server as part of the merge which is the real reason behind the attacks. I no longer want to be on the server I am harassed and defamed constantly and if merger happens I could possibly pick a new better server that such hostility does not happen and you would think someone would support that but I'm being bullied over it instead.

    *The thread would be closed because of people attacking me over my opinion and forcing theirs on me.* Basically because you dont want it no one else can and you tell people its automatic no which is what you want. If they didnt want to hear the players opinions (including yours since you posted here too) this thread and all the others you claim are opened and closed everyday would not exist. If it was an automatic no why not close thread immediatly and tell people so? This is a suggestion not a mandate so stop treating it like its the most horrible thing that could ever happen. Hopefully they listen to the suggestions at least before shooting something down because of negativity by people who dont want it.

    Stop starting up drama to derail the thread. You were doing so good and actually participating in realtive conversation but now its back to the personal attacks. This time you cant say its my fault because I said something positive to encourage discussion and it was viewed negatively to attack me.

    Back on topic because Id rather not go round and round with negative attacks again. It wasnt fun the first time and wont be now.
    We have already heard negative comments about this never happening according to players but not yet confirmed by Nexon Staff in this thread, but as this is a very popular subject I hope that Nexon will work with the community to at least consider the possibilities that this can have to positively influence the game and its players. This subject is to try and make the game better for everyone which is the purpose of suggestions in the first place. Anyways I'm done feeding the bullies and will be responding to actual ideas and comments not attacks and harassment. I'm sure they will keep spamming to get their way though.


    You sound like a broken record. Just stop embarrassing yourself and actually contribute to the topic, thanks.
    Samuelalex wrote: »
    The thread would be closed because of people attacking me over my opinion and forcing theirs on me.

    No, at this point, we are forcing facts.
    AtaraxizHardmuscle