Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

About my new skill idea for warriors.

AlshianAlshian
Mabinogi Rep: 7,065
edited December 31, 2019 in Feedback and Suggestions
My idea of a new warrior skill I like to call for now is "Exploit Open", a skill that always will deal a critical hit, you deal a critical hit while using the skill. This skill uses your knowledge of knowing what hurt your foe the most, by knowing during a critical hit you deal even more pain causing them to get stunned a little bit more for follow up attacks. Using this skill will open up your foe for the next attack while painfully stunned.

Rank N will deal +5% Critical Damage when used for 5 seconds with a 40 second cooldown. +0.5 Second stun. 1 Attack will be a Critical hit.
Rank F will deal +7% Critical Damage when used for 5 seconds with a 40 second cooldown. +0.5 Second stun. 1 Attack will be a Critical hit.
Rank E will deal +9% Critical Damage when used for 5 seconds with a 40 second cooldown. +0.5 Second stun. 1 Attack will be a Critical hit.
Rank D will deal +11% Critical Damage when used for 6 seconds with a 40 second cooldown. +0.5 Second stun. 1 Attack will be a Critical hit. +2 Str
Rank C will deal +13% Critical Damage when used for 6 seconds with a 40 second cooldown. +0.5 Second stun. 1 Attack will be a Critical hit.
Rank B will deal +15% Critical Damage when used for 6 seconds with a 35 second cooldown. +1.0 Second stun. 2 Attacks will be a Critical hit. +2 Dex
Rank A will deal +17% Critical Damage when used for 7 seconds with a 35 second cooldown. +1.0 Second stun. 2 Attacks will be a Critical hit.
Rank 9 will deal +19% Critical Damage when used for 7 seconds with a 35 second cooldown. +1.0 Second stun. 2 Attacks will be a Critical hit. +2 Str
Rank 8 will deal +21% Critical Damage when used for 7 seconds with a 35 second cooldown. +1.0 Second stun. 2 Attacks will be a Critical hit.
Rank 7 will deal +23% Critical Damage when used for 8 seconds with a 35 second cooldown. +1.0 Second stun. 2 Attacks will be a Critical hit. +2 Dex
Rank 6 will deal +25% Critical Damage when used for 8 seconds with a 30 second cooldown. +1.5 Second stun. 3 Attacks will be a Critical hit.
Rank 5 will deal +27% Critical Damage when used for 8 seconds with a 30 second cooldown. +1.5 Second stun. 3 Attacks will be a Critical hit. +3 Str +3 Dex
Rank 4 will deal +29% Critical Damage when used for 9 seconds with a 30 second cooldown. +1.5 Second stun. 3 Attacks will be a Critical hit.
Rank 3 will deal +31% Critical Damage when used for 9 seconds with a 30 second cooldown. +1.5 Second stun. 3 Attacks will be a Critical hit. +3 Str +3 Dex
Rank 2 will deal +33% Critical Damage when used for 9 seconds with a 30 second cooldown. +1.5 Second stun. 3 Attacks will be a Critical hit.
Rank 1 will deal +35% Critical Damage when used for 10 seconds with a 25 second cooldown. +2.0 Second stun. 4 Attacks will be a Critical hit. +4 Str, +4 Dex

"Exploit Open" Will always deal a critical hit. After using "Exploit Open" will cause your next melee attack to deal a critical hit. The stun from "Exploit Open" is Additive to all melee attacks.

What are your thoughts? O 3o
  1. Like "Exploit Open" to be a new Warrior Skill? Have more to say? Don't be a stranger, comment below.5 votes
    1. Yes.
       20% (1 vote)
    2. No.
       80% (4 votes)

Comments

• HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    There would be a chance that the game engine would allow a crit on top of a crit.?

Maybe make it a defensive skill like Defend or Counterattack where loading it makes you stationary and you have to await an attack?

Under the logic of the skill though, the loading of the skill would realistically represent the act of realizing the situation, so that after using it nearly all your subsequent attacks also would have to be crits. If you've injured someone, they're still injured especially after two attacks, so what's stopping further ones from criting?
  • AlshianAlshian
    edited December 31, 2019
    Helsa wrote: »
    There would be a chance that the game engine would allow a crit on top of a crit.?

Maybe make it a defensive skill like Defend or Counterattack where loading it makes you stationary and you have to await an attack?

Under the logic of the skill though, the loading of the skill would realistically represent the act of realizing the situation, so that after using it nearly all your subsequent attacks also would have to be crits. If you've injured someone, they're still injured especially after two attacks, so what's stopping further ones from criting?

A crit on top of a crit? Its just a skill...that can only be used WHEN you crit first...then once you crit you have 3 seconds to use this skill to deal another attack that will always crit... Although maybe after using this skill your next attack will cause a critical hit?

The Idea of this skill is to keep your enemy stunned and reset the knockback meter to do follow up damage. (Assuming your not using smash or windmill yet) plus exploit open has a 3 second window of use, if you were to had done a smash crit, you can do assault slash then use exploit open to cause them to be stunned and just do your follow ups till another crit when cooldown is over.

The Idea of this skill is its an offensive not defensive skill.

Although as a Defensive skill, Id had to make another post of an idea for an defensive skill since this current skill I am trying to make an idea of is a complete offensive.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    Alshian wrote: »
    Helsa wrote: »

A crit on top of a crit? Its just a skill...that can only be used WHEN you crit first...then once you crit you have 3 seconds to use this skill to deal another attack that will always crit... Although maybe after using this skill your next attack will cause a critical hit?

What I'm saying is that any skill in the game has a chance to crit. Since the damage table of the suggested skill simulates a critical hit you COULD end up effectively getting a crit on crit; see what I mean?
    The Idea of this skill is to keep your enemy stunned and reset the knockback meter to do follow up damage. (Assuming your not using smash or windmill yet) plus exploit open has a 3 second window of use, if you were to had done a smash crit, you can do assault slash then use exploit open to cause them to be stunned and just do your follow ups till another crit when cooldown is over.

The Idea of this skill is its an offensive not defensive skill.

I understand that you presented it that way. I suggest making it defensive in order to limit it, to avoid the possibility of it becoming an "I win" button, say, like Final Hit is.

• HabimaruHabimaru
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,630
    As someone who has a decent amount of experience and knowledge about martial arts, I will say that this is a valid concept, but I would deem as something that would be more appropriate as perhaps a semi-active passive, rather than a stand-alone skill, something similar to the music-buff called : Fantastic Chorus

Additionally, I would have it set up where there is a random combat-skill that is designated as the attack-skill needed for your critical hit, because most experienced fighters aren't going to fall for the «same trick same attack» twice in a row (somewhat like chess-traps that aren't being done at blitz/bullet-speed; don't just think that, just because your Smash critical-hit the first time, that they're not going to load Counter-Attack in preparation for your next Smash, etc).

Further to this, rather than relying on the critical-hit skill to land by «chance» percentage, a «forced» critical-hit ought to be a «guaranteed» critical-hit if you first successfully land specific sequences of attack-combinations, similarly to how it is so distracting to launch a flurry of punches at someone in an earth-world fight such that whilst they might try to lean backwards to avoid getting hit in the face, your previous attacks were so «distracting» that they've left their loins wide open for you to be able to thrust your knee into their «jewels» to give them a bit of an incapacitation that should leave them «stunned» for long enough for you to be able to make your next attack a critical one.
    My idea of a new warrior skill I like to call for now is "Exploit Open", a skill that always will deal a critical hit when ever you deal a critical hit before using the skill. This skill uses your knowledge of knowing what hurt your foe the most, by knowing during a critical hit you deal another to cause them even more pain causing them to get stunned a little bit more for follow up attacks. You may only be able to use this skill when ever you deal a critical hit with a 3 second window to use before you missed your chance to use it.

Rank N will deal 100% Damage when used with a 7 second cooldown. 1 Second stun.
    Rank F will deal 110% Damage when used with a 7 second cooldown. 1 Second stun.
    Rank E will deal 120% Damage when used with a 7 second cooldown. 1 Second stun.
    Rank D will deal 130% Damage when used with a 7 second cooldown. 1 Second stun. +2 Str
    Rank C will deal 140% Damage when used with a 6 second cooldown. 1.5 Second stun.
    Rank B will deal 150% damage when used with a 6 second cooldown. 1.5 Second stun. +2 Dex
    Rank A will deal 160% damage when used with a 6 second cooldown. 1.5 Second stun.
    Rank 9 will deal 170% damage when used with a 5 second cooldown. Reduce knock back meter by 50%. 2 Second stun. +2 Str
    Rank 8 will deal 180% damage when used with a 5 second cooldown. Reduce knock back meter by 50%. 2 Second stun.
    Rank 7 will deal 190% damage when used with a 5 second cooldown. Reduce knock back meter by 50%. 2 Second stun. +2 Dex
    Rank 6 will deal 200% damage when used with a 4 second cooldown. Reduce knock back meter by 50%. 2 Second stun.
    Rank 5 will deal 210% damage when used with a 4 second cooldown. Reduce knock back meter by 80%. 2.5 Second stun. +3 Str, +3 Dex
    Rank 4 will deal 220% damage when used with a 4 second cooldown. Reduce knock back meter by 80%. 2.5 Second stun.
    Rank 3 will deal 230% damage when used with a 3 second cooldown. Reduce knock back meter by 80%. 2.5 Second stun. +3 Str +3 Dex
    Rank 2 will deal 240% damage when used with a 3 second cooldown. Reduce knock back meter by 80%. 2.5 Second stun.
    Rank 1 will deal 250% damage when used with a 3 second cooldown. Reduce knock back meter by 100%. 3 Second stun. +4 Str, +4 Dex

Skill is available to be used when you deal a critical hit of any melee attack. The skill can be defended by the defense skill. The skill can be countered by counter attack skill. "Exploit Open" Will always deal a critical hit. You have 3 seconds to use the skill after a critical hit before you missed your chance.
    What are your thoughts? O 3o

Alshian
  • AlshianAlshian
    A semi passive...going to try to remake it into something you would have more control use of it.
  • AlshianAlshian
    K I remade it, what are your thoughts? instead of RNG to be used, you have control on when to use it for up to the max of 4 times the guaranteed critical hits during the duration.
  • HabimaruHabimaru
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,630
    Not entirely sure what was changed/altered/edited/etc. Perhaps if you had the old description in the form of a spoiler I'd be able to notice.

Anyway, I also noticed that you have a Defense-Skill thread up in this section, but my feedback to your feedback will probably still be similar to my first response. In an actual combat-scenario, depending on the skill-level of your opponent, he won't always give you an opening. There are certainly ways to force «openings» but, against a much higher-skilled opponent, pulling that off either becomes a lot more difficult or time-consuming (and thus energy-draining) or some combination of both...

...certainly in a video-game version of combat, you aren't going to have the multiple tools and techniques that can be employed to «set up» your opponent for guaranteed exploit the moment they make even one mistake, such as grabbing dirt from the ground and tossing it into their eyes so that they're too distracted by trying to defend against an attack that might temporarily blind them to notice/consider a follow-up kick to their shins, but if I am not mistaken there is already some sort of skill in the Chain-Blade Talent called Death-Mark which is similar to the Exploitation of Weakness for consistent Critical-Hits, except that it's not looped or linked together in a Bash-Style format like you are suggesting.

Forcing of Openings : So, what I am going to respond with this time, is in regards to the initial forcing of an opening, for «weakness-exploiting» purposes. This is based on so-called real-world martial arts, such that a skilled martial artist is literally able to force or bait the opponent to using a specific defense or attack, only for it to end up being a «set-up» for a counter-attack. For a reference that might be easier to visualise, with literal visuals, see the Halosar Trap video on the Chess Talk channel; it's something like that but in real-time-combat with hands/feet/weapons/etc., instead of chess-pieces. If we convert it into game-format...

Exploit-Weakness / Stage 1 / Attempt : «You are attempting to lure your opponent into a false sense of security by pretending to let your guard down...»
    Exploit-Weakness / Stage 2 / Success : «Your opponent took the bait and will now take the most damage from the [?] skill !»
    (Note : [?] can be any random warrior skill, such as Bash, Smash, Windmill, etc)
    Exploit-Weakness / Stage 2 / Fail : «Your opponent doesn't seem to be falling for your tricks. Try to distract them first...»
    (Stage 3 is reached only upon Stage 2 Success)
    Exploit-Weakness / Stage 3 / Attempt : «You've successfully landed [??] ! Now use [?] & [?] in that order within [x] seconds for maximum damage-potential !»
    (Note : [??] is the skill from Stage 2 Success. The [?] & [?] refers to follow-up attack-types, such as Smash & Assault-Slash in sequence, etc.)
    Exploit-Weakness / Stage 3 / Success : «You're really going to town on this guy ! Keep it up with [?] + [?] + [?] within [x] seconds for your follow-up !»
    Exploit-Weakness / Stage 3 / Fail : «Your opponent caught on and deflected your attempt at one-upping him !»

Just for the record, it would also be possible to integrate the «Defense» skill into this, too.
    I don't know how much «martial arts» (so-called real-world) everyone here has but there are plenty of movies with interesting video-game ideas.

Anyway, designed like that, you would definitely have more of a true test of actual skill and in-game timing, rather than just, say, spamming the same moves or (near-)exact same sequences of moves all day throughout the whole entire (or most of each) dungeon or shadow-mission. With each combination-sequence getting longer and longer, and because you can't just have «ground & pound» which is pretty much near auto-win in the so-called real-world (video-game balance and play-ability purposes), the risk of being interrupted by his buddies increases, but the reward-factor should also be pretty good if you can actually pull it off, and could be fun !

Final Note : In so-called real-world martial-arts, although most people will never see it, the highest-levels of skills who bother with a «real» fight will usually result in the fight coming to an end within literally ten seconds or less... usually less than three. We wouldn't want to bore the audience though or make the skill seemingly over-powered in the way of course and, unlike one-button AoE-OHKO talent-moves, the example here is something to take actual pride in mastering.
    K I remade it, what are your thoughts? instead of RNG to be used, you have control on when to use it for up to the max of 4 times the guaranteed critical hits during the duration.
  • SqueeSquee
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,565
    I honestly thought about what would happen if we had a skill like this... I personally think it could be a good technique to implement later if it doesn't come in G24 or something. It could make a decent technique and isn't like the others we've learned. It would be somewhat similar to redoubled offensive, but using a crit. Maybe the crit could also have a unique effect depending on the attack, such as a sword will cause bleed damage, or a magic attack will have more knockback and stun, or a lance attacking gaining more piercing level.