Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Opinion v. Fact, Subjective v. Objective & Archers

HabimaruHabimaru
Mabinogi Rep: 3,630
in Town Square
It needs to be done... it NEEDS to be done...! Why does it need to be done...!?
I am just going to get on with it then you can decide for yourself as to why this (thread) needed to be created (yes it did).

Opinions are what people think and is generally more preference-oriented (considered Subjective).
Facts are basically things like a (video-)recorded event that can be verified as having actually happened (considered Objective).
(This is of course not getting into things like real-time facial-reenactment video-manipulation to unnecessarily complicate the above descriptions... freaking «skeptics» [or more accurately pseudo-skeptics] always seem to have to argue about everything!)

Examples of «opinion» words include : better, best, prettier, etc.
One of my cousins, a long time ago, said that Chinese (language) was «better» than Japanese (language), and that is an example of an opinion. Even what language is easier to learn is also largely more opinion-based, but I can state statistically that another language that is already similar to a language that someone already speaks is going to be easier for them to learn, than it would be for them to learn a language with completely different sentence-structure and entirely different base-vocabulary. So someone who speaks Spanish will most-certainly be able to speak/understand Portuguese, Italian, French, etc., more easily than someone who does not speak any of those languages.

I bring up the «Archers» thing into the thread-title to use as an example. When making comparisons, sure, some people use videos that Koreans may have uploaded onto YouTube (or BitChute, or Vimeo, or Veoh, etc.), whilst others take the mathematical-statistics and mathematical-potential approach. When using mathematical multipliers, everybody can also work out the same math-problem, thus making that an example of a «factual» numbers-comparison. When it comes to in practice, how-ever, not everybody is going to have the same intrinsic-skill, even if the extrinsic skills are the same (note: Intrinsic is more of the innate-stuff that comes naturally to you the controller behind-the-screen, whilst extrinsic is the external-factor, such as your human/elf/giant-character's skill-rank being anywhere from Novice to Dan 3).

In practice, I have always found my human-character(s) to land their shots more reliably than my elf-characters, and I will later on eventually back-track to my human-character, but the main reason I «see» for most humans not going primarily the human-archer route, is simply because it's a lot easier to clear content in less time with warrior-oriented talents with more reliability (why shoot things when you can just final-hit two or even three whole entire rooms worth of spawns before your Final-Hit even runs out ?).

Here are some factual things about Human-Archers versus Elven-Archers...:
・Elves have no delay between loading Magnum-Shot; Humans must wait around a second between each Magnum-Shot
・Elves have the Mirage-Missile skill whilst Humans do not; Humans have the Arrow-Revolver skill whilst Elves do not
・Elves can shoot arrows whilst mounted on certain pets (usually of the Horse archetype) whilst Humans cannot
・Elves gain Vision-of-Ladeca after the Potentials-requirements are completed from L100 onwards per re-birth (Humans do not)
・A regular Ranged Attack by an Elf shoots (up to) two arrows at a time; One arrow per shot from a Human-Archer

Here are some opinion-phrases between Human and Elven Archers...:
・Humans are better than Elves at Archery (one can be entitled to their opinion)
(Opinions are like ***holes... everybody's got one and they all stink)
・Elves don't know how to aim properly (until they get Vision-of-Ladeca anyway)
・Humans clear rooms faster with maxed out archery than Elves do with max out archery (this actually shouldn't be the case in most instances but in practice my human-character was pulling this off over my elf-character until my elf-character became my current main-character; the advantage being that my elf-character now has all of the Potentials-Levels completed whilst my human-character hasn't even talked to Blaanid yet)

...with that mentioned, what I am going to ADD, for examples of «factual» statements, involves the use of clear-times. If someone were active with both Human and Elf characters, and decided to use Archery, running the same contents, starting from beginner
(what some might refer to as so-called «n00b» or out-dated or obsolete content)
content all the way up to Elite Tech-Duinn content, running everything solo, the «clear-times» would show the in-practice result of using the Elf/Human as an Archer. If the Human-Archer is making clear-times of 25 minutes on a Shadow-Mission like Spider-Elite (solo) whilst an Elf is doing it in only 10 minutes (solo), consistently, then it can be objectively said that the Elf's clear-time (with Archery) has been faster (and less time-consuming) than the Human's clear-time (with Archery).

There's plenty of content, from Dungeons (Normal-HM, Basic-Abyss/Veteran, Alby-Peaca), to Shadow-Missions (Tail & Tara), Commerce-Runs, Bandit-Hunting, Saga-Episodes, Phantasm, Tech-Duinns, Purifications, etc. With all of these buffs and reach-max-stats-over-night items/events/etc., now being handed out pretty much like candy these days, it shouldn't take that long any more for anyone to Rank 1 whole entire skill-sets (perhaps even get some of them to Dan 3 within a month or two), and it's also a lot faster these days to rank up those Life-Skills for the relevant Talent-Specific stats compared to before. And that's exactly what I plan to do after I get back from all of this «keep-me-too-busy-to-do-much-on-line» overseas stuff... just to see my own clear-time-comparisons (also between other skill-sets, not just Archery).

I am also planning on taking up a certain someone's «challenge» on Knights of Round Table Elite with the use of Ice-Bolt. Mind you, I do have a Maxed Out Magic-Tab (other than nothing «Danned» yet), and a full-upgraded Chain-Cast Savage Ice-Wand. If it IS indeed possible to one-shot those wolves with Ice-Bolt (on ELITE), then by all means that is most-certainly something I've GOT to try out ! Last time I did it, despite having the ALO Asuna 2nd Title & Meteor Strike Master titles equipped, a maxed out Magic-Tab (other than no Dan), and using a Savage Ice Wand (full-upgraded; just without Blue/Red-stones... like as if I'm going to waste those Upgrade-Stones on a Chain-Cast Ice-Wand), I was disappointed with the result, but perhaps it can be done if I decide to «waste Blue Upgrade-Stones» on a Chain-Cast Savage-Ice-Wand and even try to get Ice-Bolt to Dan 3.

I try to avoid being opinionated if possible, how-ever, I have different in-practice preferences that not everyone may agree with, but to each their own. With my Elf-Character, I much prefer to use Magic over Archery (for most content anyway), but with my Human-Character... actually... I still prefer to use Magic in many instances over any other skill-set I might have, particularly when waiting for Final-Hit to go off cool-down-timer, depending on what content is being run.
  1. Now do you see why it needed to be done...?2 votes
    1. Yes
       50% (1 vote)
    2. No
       50% (1 vote)
    3. I don't care...! I just want to argue with you anyway for some reason!
       0% (0 votes)

Comments

• HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    edited February 9, 2020
    May I suggest a much stronger emphasis on brevity.