Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Name-Changes are a bit of a letdown

KouyioueKouyioue
Mabinogi Rep: 4,030
edited April 22, 2020 in Town Square
People you delete from your contacts will still know your character's name because the game doesn't remove them from THEIR contact lists... It even goes so far as to reflect the name-change!

Oh well. I guess I'll just adopt an after-death policy. Guess I'll just have to treat my old character's contacts as new encounters and not admit to any past memories. Anything to keep that old name dead dead.

For a company that's all about privacy of the player, you sure make some crazy arbitrary decisions. I can't kill off my character properly.
Oh and I can post and delete messages on my own profile but I can't delete posts from others on my profile. Good job on that, not! xD

Comments

• GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    Hi.
  • HabimaruHabimaru
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,630
    edited April 23, 2020
    In Legalese research-groups where we have mountains of evidence to prove that the whole entire court-systems are corrupt to the core there is this consensus that we/you are not the NAME but are simply man (men & women). You «ghost» a name by not acknowledging it as you.
  • КалашниковКалашников
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,300
    I don't think that was the point of name change. Paid name change is just a feature. If most staff expect people to want to hide their old name, they would have covered more bases.

Not allowing deletion on your profile is annoying, though. In fact, this whole system seems to have less freedom compared to older forum.
  • KouyioueKouyioue
    edited April 23, 2020
    Yeaaaaah xD sadly

At the very least it could have 'not changed the name' listed on the friendslists of players who hoard the names of people who deleted them so that I could at least keep some level of honor in this character's death. It worked on the mailbox recipients from what I could tell, why not friendslists of people you deleted? Eyyy!! You missed a spot!!!! xD

The whole point is to keep people from 'trying to get back into contact' a decade later, which usually ends badly even if you WERE very close friends before.
  • КалашниковКалашников
    Are you Nao or Alexina? Your goal is to want people you deleted to not know your new name, yes?

Pretend you sold your account to a new player and feign ignorance. Remember to change your typing/emote habits, too, as one can sometimes recognize players purely based on their speaking mannerism.
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    edited April 23, 2020
    Are you Nao or Alexina? Your goal is to want people you deleted to not know your new name, yes?

Pretend you sold your account to a new player and feign ignorance. Remember to change your typing/emote habits, too, as one can sometimes recognize players purely based on their speaking mannerism.

Pretending to sell account would be a risky move especially if there are people who know you that you are not too friendly with.
    WolfsingerGretaSherri
  • КалашниковКалашников
    Pretending to sell account would be a risky move especially if there are people who know you that you are not too friendly with.

I know, I was kidding.
  • HabimaruHabimaru
    True «death» would be «quitting» and never-again logging in. Or there is also the option to out-right Delete every Milletian-character on the account in order to give it a «reset» that allows the pets to be kept... bags will be gone unless you left them in coupon-format which could be stored on a pet.
    Kouyioue wrote: »
    The whole point is to keep people from 'trying to get back into contact' a decade later, which usually ends badly even if you WERE very close friends before.
  • KouyioueKouyioue
    edited April 25, 2020
    Oh hush now, It'd be a sin to let go of all that power and progress. :P

Currently, I am not too worried about being found out but there's always that possibility that someone will start trying to contact all of their dead contacts, or realize that there's a player still running around and put two-and-two together.

All I can say is, 'well dangit!'
  • HabimaruHabimaru
    Pro-Tip : One can often catch up to their original character in less than half the time from starting a new character.
    I would expect people to change at least some over the span of a decade... usually and preferably for the better of course.
    I mean it's not like you must have been some extremely and incredibly heinous criminal or something before... right, Right, RIGHT!? O_O
    NvjOjbl.png
    Just kidding... I am not actually trying to put you on-the-spot or anything. That was just a... pretend-interrogation... ;o

Currently, I am not too worried about being found out because it has been most of a decade and I AM already different currently. It's just that through testing, I simply saw that namechanges are a little too thorough and now that means that there will always be a possibility of someone reaching out and trying to interrogate my new namesake to see who it used to be.

КалашниковSherri
  • WolfsingerWolfsinger
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,875
    Habimaru wrote: »
    Pro-Tip : One can often catch up to their original character in less than half the time from starting a new character.
    I would expect people to change at least some over the span of a decade... usually and preferably for the better of course.
    I mean it's not like you must have been some extremely and incredibly heinous criminal or something before... right, Right, RIGHT!? O_O
    NvjOjbl.png
    Just kidding... I am not actually trying to put you on-the-spot or anything. That was just a... pretend-interrogation... ;o

Currently, I am not too worried about being found out because it has been most of a decade and I AM already different currently. It's just that through testing, I simply saw that namechanges are a little too thorough and now that means that there will always be a possibility of someone reaching out and trying to interrogate my new namesake to see who it used to be.

you know its a rough interrogation when both y'all's are sweating :P
    Habimaru
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,615
    From my point of view I've noticed that when people on my friend list change their name I'm often left wondering when I added a certain person and who they are lol
    A quote from Patrick Star "WHO ARE YOU PEOPLE?!"
    Wolfsinger wrote: »
    Habimaru wrote: »
    NvjOjbl.png

you know its a rough interrogation when both y'all's are sweating :P

They're probably standing out in the sun for too long.. maybe some heat stroke? =P
    КалашниковWolfsinger