Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Will deleting a character open a free slot?

SaintGrimmSaintGrimm
Mabinogi Rep: 100
in Help
I know this game uses character cards from the cash shop, so before I delete anything I thought I better ask.

A friend of mine wanted to start playing, so I'm coming back after not playing since 2016. I'd like to make a new character to re-enjoy all the story and be able to do so alongside the friend that's going to start playing. So can I delete one of my humans and remake a new one? Or would I have to buy a human card either way?

Comments

• TimefallTimefall
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,505
    edited May 7, 2020
    Deleting a character DOES NOT refund the card it was created with. Each account should be granted multiple cards to start with. You can also gain 1 additional elf card and 1 additional giant card in-game by allying with either race (You can change allies the next day to get both cards). To ally with a race, log into a human, and speak to Castanea or Krug with the keyword "Elf and Giant".

If you've used all of your character cards and want to play as a human, you'll need to purchase a card. (Or create a new account, but then you would lose access to your pets.) If you do purchase one, I recommend an Ace card (the cheapest one). The Hero cards may grant you extra levels, but if you start with those, you won't get all the bonus rewards from the Memoir Quests.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    It USED to be when your account came with ONE card if you deleted that character you'd get a card back, but now that we get (WHAT? 6?), I can't say with certainty. Maybe the VERY VERY last one can be replaced but I don't know
  • HabimaruHabimaru
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,630
    One of your humans ? No. You would need to delete all of your non-pets characters in order to be granted a new Free Character card to re-create another. The advantage to doing it this way is that you still get to keep all of the pets that are on the account. The main disadvantage is that you lose all items that were not stored on pets when deleting every Human/Elf/Giant character on your account (this means anything that was in the bank also vanishes).

The secondary disadvantage is that you will need to wait a day (24 hours after initial deletion which will put the character into «pending deletion» status) before being able to complete character-deletions where you can confirm deletion after the 24-hour timer. If you haven't over-invested too much into any of your current characters, stash away what-ever you can onto pets, including taking gold out of the bank in the form of gold-bags and/or cheques and store them onto pets before you start deleting.

Even if for no other reason than so that you have sufficient funds when re-starting over in order to increase bag-space from the beginning. If you have been participating in the current KEMONO FRIENDS event, and have enough Japari-Coins to buy a Bag-Coupon, make sure to buy those coupons first and store them onto a pet before deleting all your characters (pets can be left safely intact and do not need to be deleted).

Should you decide to start over, I highly recommended getting as much bag-space as possible from the beginning, so save any gold you may have right now onto pets before character-deletions so that you can buy Bag-Coupons (such as for Rose Wreath Tia Bags [which is a Personal-Shop-Bag though so you can only have one Personal-Shop-Bag-category type bag in your inventory which will disallow being able to use/pick up other Personal-Shop-Bags simultaneously]) for you and your friend, I assume that the current KEMONO FRIENDS Event-Bags may also be available at affordable-prices from the Auction-House for a while, and if you can get your hands on the Luxury Equipment Bag that would also help a lot with inventory space for Weapons/Clothes/Armours/Shields/Tools.

Yes, for people who are patient enough and have enough free time to do so, this does literally mean that you can go about completing the Saga-Episodes until obtaining the Pegasus-Whistle for a Pegasus-Pet for how-ever many characters you choose to do so with, then delete all non-pets characters, re-start over with another New Free Character Card, then re-do the Saga-Episodes again on new characters in order to be able to obtain even more Pegasus-pets, provided that they're willing to delete every Human/Elf/Giant character per re-cycle. Like Timefall mentioned, when using your Free Character Card, you can also get a Free Elf-Assist and Free Giant-Assist character IF you start your first character out as a Human-Race Character.

Before you or anybody else gets any ideas into thinking that you can get that Elf and/or Giant-Assist character then just delete the Human-Character afterwards in order to «Soft-Reset» the account for another Free Character Card, I have already tested this, and no, you'd still need to delete the Elf-Assist and Giant-Assist character in order to get that «Account-Reset» (excluding pets) before your account will be granted that Free Character Card since the Elf-Assist Character and Giant-Assist Character still do count as non-pet Characters. This is about as thorough as I need to be to answer any question related to your thread-topic. Have fun with your friend !
    SaintGrimm wrote: »
    I know this game uses character cards from the cash shop, so before I delete anything I thought I better ask.

A friend of mine wanted to start playing, so I'm coming back after not playing since 2016. I'd like to make a new character to re-enjoy all the story and be able to do so alongside the friend that's going to start playing. So can I delete one of my humans and remake a new one? Or would I have to buy a human card either way?
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    I would advise for you just to purchase another character card. Gold storage wise you would eventually need it.
    Helsa