Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Why Do You Stick Around ? [Poll]

Comments

• HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    Crims wrote: »
    Alshian wrote: »
    Wolfsinger wrote: »
    The engine can't be replaced. People need to start understanding this.

Asking from a purely curious point of view, as someone with very little experience in coding, engineering or marketing:
    If the engine really is something they couldn't replace, would it really be difficult to potentially remake it similarly but on a better system, or is that more cost-ineffective?

They likely had thought about starting from scratch with Mabinogi for a new engine but failed due to high time and cost that came with it. Although I bet that is how they came up with the idea of Mabinogi mobile.

Only a "guess" not a fact.

Basically the engine we are using is obsolete and has been for YEARS. People tend to forget this fact every couple years and need to be reminded. They can't just change the engine without having to REMAKE the entire bloody game - from ground up. This game is so robust and integrated that in order to do what you are proposing - they might as well make an entirely new game. Which is never going to happen because making a new game obviously would take time/effort/money. Something that was toyed with in the past but ultimately dropped.

And the cute little mobile game does not count guys.

What we have right now is all we are going to get and the only thing that they can do for us is continue to explore the existing code and make innovations to an obsolete system.

So yeah there is no changing the engine and transferring everyone's character's over to it. LOL. They don't even have the original coders anymore. They were all phased out over a decade ago. There was a lot of controversy during that time too. Essentially the entire team was replaced. So now all you got are these little script kiddies putting different skins over stuff and marketing as *new* to us. smh.

Don't get me wrong I love this game. But their creativity has a limit because of the system we are stuck on and we are stuck.

A lot of the code would be reusable though. For example, characters will still have hit boxes, the skills will still work as they do behind the scenes. Other than graphics and how they are displayed, the rest would port over fairly readily.
    Wolfsinger
  • PectylPectyl
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,715
    Nice...we can finally mention the word "remake", last time i did that about Mabinogi i was ripped apart by the community in the previous forum.
  • drancodranco
    Mabinogi Rep: 200
    I played because of the gameplay loop and gameplay were solid to actually feel like getting good at the game, with story a easy follow, up. infact after a like 2 year+ hiatus i came back for the story(now if only i could get around reforges for doing the highest end stuff)
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    edited May 12, 2020
    Helsa wrote: »

Asking from a purely curious point of view, as someone with very little experience in coding, engineering or marketing:
    If the engine really is something they couldn't replace, would it really be difficult to potentially remake it similarly but on a better system, or is that more cost-ineffective?

They likely had thought about starting from scratch with Mabinogi for a new engine but failed due to high time and cost that came with it. Although I bet that is how they came up with the idea of Mabinogi mobile.

Basically the engine we are using is obsolete and has been for YEARS. People tend to forget this fact every couple years and need to be reminded. They can't just change the engine without having to REMAKE the entire bloody game - from ground up. This game is so robust and integrated that in order to do what you are proposing - they might as well make an entirely new game. Which is never going to happen because making a new game obviously would take time/effort/money. Something that was toyed with in the past but ultimately dropped.

What we have right now is all we are going to get and the only thing that they can do for us is continue to explore the existing code and make innovations to an obsolete system.

So yeah there is no changing the engine and transferring everyone's character's over to it. LOL. They don't even have the original coders anymore. They were all phased out over a decade ago. There was a lot of controversy during that time too. Essentially the entire team was replaced. So now all you got are these little script kiddies putting different skins over stuff and marketing as *new* to us. smh.

Don't get me wrong I love this game. But their creativity has a limit because of the system we are stuck on and we are stuck.

A lot of the code would be reusable though. For example, characters will still have hit boxes, the skills will still work as they do behind the scenes. Other than graphics and how they are displayed, the rest would port over fairly readily.

I guess I should mention WHY the coding is TOO integrated. Because it barely works, it is a HOT MESS.

Here is a good recent example.

Recycled-Crystals.png

Some of those textures we have never used or are no longer in use. There is a BLEEP ton of junk coding within mabi.

Bleep ton of junk textures... O_o;
    Wolfsinger
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805

I guess I should mention WHY the coding is TOO integrated. Because it barely works, it is a HOT MESS.

Recycled-Crystals.png

Some of those textures we have never used or are no longer in use. There is a BLEEP ton of junk coding within mabi.

2015 HAPPY NEW YEAR.

I'm dying.
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745

While your idea of making improvements in cost-ineffective ways is correct from the general standpoint, the lack of understanding of how this industry functions is also why it does not make sense.
  • drancodranco
    Mabinogi Rep: 200
    I played because of the gameplay loop and gameplay were solid to actually feel like getting good at the game, with story a easy follow, up. infact after a like 2 year+ hiatus i came back for the story(now if only i could get around reforges for doing the highest end stuff)
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn

While your idea of making improvements in cost-ineffective ways is correct from the general standpoint, the lack of understanding of how this industry functions is also why it does not make sense.

Ken lay off the crack dude.
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745

Ken lay off the crack dude.

Crack is too expensive for a normal person like me.
  • KouyioueKouyioue
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,030
    edited May 13, 2020
    The easiest is to just grab a new pre-made engine and just write file-handlers for all of the old assets and pack files. It's so braindead simple
    Then it's just a matter of reimplementing all of the boring stuff like machine handling and GUIs

Totally illegal usually(even for the original creators) because of licensing crap for all of the little file formats and dumb things no sane person cares about
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380

Recycled-Crystals.png

Textures are just resources; they're not really an impediment to the game running; it's just artwork. There's is likely to be spaghettified code. But that's what software engineers are paid to deal with. Sparsely commented code is just another Tuesday in the software biz.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    edited May 13, 2020
    I have always suspected for a while that any lag we experience is because of mabi sorting through all those textures. Why else would we be seeing all that junk upon load? I understand a single texture might take a few seconds to load but it's like mabi is shuffling those textures until it finds the correct texture or something. >_>;;;

If this is the case, why in the world is it sorting through defunct textures? Seriously. I wonder if KR or NA was to go through all those texture files and remove them maybe mabi might load easier for those without gaming computers? I mean even on my machine I see them briefly.