Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

antivirus hates Mabi

wutainrosewutainrose
Mabinogi Rep: 840
edited July 5, 2020 in Technical Support
I have Bitdefender for my antivirus and once again am having issues getting it to open Mabinogi, I have to continuously shut off the advanced threat detection in order for mabi to start. Is there a way around this or a way to fix it so I do not have to shut off my antivirus everytime I open mabi.

Comments

• FluoretteFluorette
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,840
    Do you have the Mabinogi client and NGS (Nexon Game Security) in your exceptions list?
  • HabimaruHabimaru
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,630
    It would seem other people have had issues with it before. If the issue is still going on then there must not have been any successful communication yet between Nexon & BitDefender. If you're otherwise happy with BitDefender, and wish to keep using BitDefender, then you might get more qualified assistance by contacting Support supplied by BitDefender.

Otherwise, fortunately, this is a day and age where there are numerous options for security programs, one of them that I will mention that I have used is Comodo Internet Security or Comodo Anti-Virus (they apparently make you choose one or the other but not both; how-ever, both seem to have the same security functions anyway as far as I can tell).

Whilst Comodo is free, and works without interfering with Mabinogi (for as long as you don't block/restrict Mabinogi by accident), the main issue I personally have with it is its push of its Chromodo web-browser (I pretty much exclusively use just Atom these days which of course can be re-configured to English or any other language interface). If you choose to use Comodo in place of BitDefender, make sure to set it up so that Mabinogi isn't running inside the virtual-memory sand-box mode (this is a fairly useful feature though as it allows the testing of programs without actually affecting the computer itself in case it happens to be a harmful file that ought to be quarantined), depending on if you have HIPS activated or not or whatever that setting was called. If you end up putting Mabinogi (or any other program) into one of those Quarantine-lists by accident, whilst you can get it removed & have it white-listed, the other main issue I find is that the loading time in that part of the Comodo software can take up a lot of loading time before you're able to re-white-list or un-quarantine programmes that you ended up blocking by accident.

If you don't mind spending a handful of $$$ each year, and you decide to switch from BitDefender to something else that will let you run Mabinogi without having to jump through loops & hoops each time, my personal-recommendation, and security software that I personally use, would be from ZookaWare, and you don't even need to uninstall any current anti-virus software for it to be installed and run. Although there are supposed to be automatic-scheduler settings on it, for some reason, maybe because I have the settings configured for the auto-scanning not to run unless my computer is idle, I do find that I have to manually click on the Scan button when I notice it display that last scan was done 2 days (or longer) ago. I will usually run the scan if it's been two days since my computer-performance (and thus Mabinogi) will start slowing down if I don't (possibly because of how often I have so many programs running simultaneously).

In any case, I did look-up whether there was information on white-listing programs with BitDefender, but I couldn't really find much, so this fairly detailed reply is what I have to respond with for now.
  • NegumikoNegumiko
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,775
    when I switched to a new antivirus it hated mabi. go into your main drive, then go into the windows folder near the bottom, and add this folder to your exceptions list: dduoist-78ab7f2b-a230-48f2-bb61-157d38c16856.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOiIsImlzcyI6InVybjphcHA6Iiwib2JqIjpbW3sicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvMDM1ZGJhZWMtYTA3Yi00Y2ZjLThlZjQtN2ZmZDZiODY3OTg4XC9kZHVvaXN0LTc4YWI3ZjJiLWEyMzAtNDhmMi1iYjYxLTE1N2QzOGMxNjg1Ni5wbmcifV1dLCJhdWQiOlsidXJuOnNlcnZpY2U6ZmlsZS5kb3dubG9hZCJdfQ.jSX7lIvA-0-iQofcRTx3eEpdqjmuebCDMwhRYlL3kjc

not sure if it will work since I use a different antivirus but that solved all my problems.
  • ZezaZeza
    Mabinogi Rep: 500
    This is pretty late but with Bitdefender, turn off advance threat defense before you launch the game then turn it back on after you're at the login menu.
    Or add it to the exceptions in advance threat def section
    Bitdefender adv threat keeps blocking the launching of the nexon game guard/shield