Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Small easter egg with the Emain Macha royal guard

ikemendesuikemendesu
Mabinogi Rep: 380
in General Chat
The royal guard outside the Western gate of Emain Macha has a lot of funny and unique dialogue that most people wouldn't notice. If you keep talking to him he will eventually say this:
mabinogi_2021_02_11_193912.png?width=794&height=595

I love the detail in the conversations with old NPCs! Wish all NPCs had this much unique dialogue.
CombobroFluoretteKingEphyWolfsingerShakaya

Comments

• CombobroCombobro
    Mabinogi Rep: 750
    Fun fact! That NPC has 43 unique lines of dialogue he can say! The gossiping guard is the best.
    FluoretteRadiant DawnCrimsọnWolfsingerShakaya
  • FluoretteFluorette
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,840
    Combobro wrote: »
    Fun fact! That NPC has 43 unique lines of dialogue he can say! The gossiping guard is the best.

43?! Really? Whoa. Gonna start pestering this guy next time I log in (((((:
  • FluoretteFluorette
    I'm back, and yeah, it's somewhere around that number. I counted... 45 different subjects from that particular guard, hopefully not including any duplicates. He might actually have more.

Anyway, that was enriching. Thanks for sharing!
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    I thought easter eggs are supposed to reference something outside of game? I don't count that as easter egg, just a cool dialog.
    Helsa
  • FluoretteFluorette
    an egg can just be a hidden message, but yeah I dunno if this actually counts as an egg. I do get their thought process though. The other guards just complain about part of their body hurting or how they want to go home besides the usual statement, so it's pretty easy to dismiss all of them. In dismissing you might overlook this one guy who unexpectedly goes on and on about city gossip.

...but at the same time, he's right there. He's outside of the very face of the city and on the right (the usual preference, I take it?), so he could be the first guard you speak with. For all we know, that could've been the assumption/intention.

Whatever the case he's clearly never gotten that promotion he wanted
  • HabimaruHabimaru
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,630
    edited February 27, 2021
    I learned during some other year that an Easter Egg in the context of games or coding referenced some type of hidden function or bonus or hidden code but I am having difficulty remembering the exact details/definition(s) at the moment. I suppose it is still possible for the original definitions/meanings to have changed either over time (or because of these periodic time-jumps through slightly differing time-lines <insert expression here where I am howling in frustration over these seemingly random quantum-leaps even though the changes seem to be far more subtle and a lot less drastic than what is/was depicted in that television-show>).

Decided not to wrack my brain over it too much and instead chose to look for a seemingly reliable article for explanation... https://www.i-programmer.info/history/computer-languages/2340-coded-easter-eggs.html

(The description in the article actually differs slightly from what I remember, but, meh, I say close enough...)