Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Taming Journal Advice?

GiegueGiegue
Mabinogi Rep: 2,975
edited February 18, 2021 in Help
It's not news that since the dungeon revamp, taming wild animals has become a nightmare to deal with, especially in regards to dungeon bosses.

I've been stuck with the last 5 monsters in my taming journal untamed for years due to this, however they'd recently "fixed" this issue by creating a minimum success rate of 0.1% (or, 1 in 1000 chance)
3 actual living days STRAIGHT of attempting to tame a cyclops has left me feeling quite defeated so I'm seeking advice on the last 5 monsters I need for my journal.
I have all generations clear, so I can't utilize those except for Saga. I also have all skills at Rank 1, so assumedly my CP is very high and shouldn't cause issues.

Here's my set-up:
Life Taming Cane (Effectiveness 3 (+?%)) with a Level 10 Reforge for Taming Success. (+15%)
Shrimp Taming Bait (Effectiveness 6 (+?%))
Rank 1 Control of Darkness (Wiki says this passively helps an unknown amount)
Master of Taming (+?%)
Tupai 2nd Title: (+10%)

Mirror Witch: This isn't an issue; I just need to find a Giant. I doubt she'll be a problem.

Cobweb Mummy: Alby Adv, right? I seem to get pretty unlucky with spawning these as I've not had a solo run in recent memory where they've spawned. Do they only spawn in instances with multiple players?
Note: I haven't recently checked if Alban Training's Cobweb Mummies count towards taming, but I don't think they could be tamed...

Cyclops: With all of my generations complete, I can't do the Chapter 4 quest that forces you to tame a Cyclops. This monster's been beating me down for the past few days with thousands of bait shoved down the drain.
Do the Cyclops in Boss Rush count? I assume they're easier to tame due to them running on the old version of the dungeon.

Banshee: Another Monster who has cost me over 200 hours of grinding bait and wiggling a stick at.
Are there other versions of Banshee that are easier to tame than the one in Peaca Basic?

Demi Lich: See above.
Bronzebreak

Comments

• HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    edited February 18, 2021
    I don't know if it will be enough but you can do better. There are better taming baits. The best, by far, being Taunes taming bait. The downside is that this bait is only available temporarily in G8 for the Mirror of Memory quest. I haven't tried this but maybe if you get to this quest using an alt you can check if Taunes will resupply you if you "lose" your taming bait?

EDIT: I read the fine print, Taunes does NOT replace the bait. So, the next best bait is gotten by feeding the monkeys. Receiving it is random though. The next best bait after that you can make and its better than the one you are using although twice as big in your inventory.
    Giegue
  • GiegueGiegue
    edited February 18, 2021
    I don't think it would be worth the amount of time it would take to grind up several hundred Hot Spring Monkey Bait, though I will dabble in it as I'm going to try and get some Rundal Boss Rush passes to test the Cyclops' in there.

I have absolutely no idea the exact values, but I did a rough estimate and my current set-up should in THEORY give me a 0.28% success rate (assuming the monster's base success rate is 0.1%)
    Adding on the Monkey Bait instead of the Shrimp Bait would raise it at most to a whopping 0.3% success rate.
    Which is rediculous, but still a guesstimate.

Edit: After cooking 100 dishes of Shrimp Fried Rice I came out with 8 Monkey Bait. (and 1 Rundal Pass Box... >:I)
    Considering I could have made 1000 Shrimp Bait in that time... well...
    Edit2: I can tame things in Ciar Boss Rush, so I assume the same is true for Rundal.
    Bronzebreak
  • HelsaHelsa
    edited February 18, 2021
    Giegue wrote: »
    Edit: After cooking 100 dishes of Shrimp Fried Rice I came out with 8 Monkey Bait. (and 1 Rundal Pass Box... >:I)
    Considering I could have made 1000 Shrimp Bait in that time... well...
    Edit2: I can tame things in Ciar Boss Rush, so I assume the same is true for Rundal.

Yep, on the other hand there is Taitinn Carp Taming Bait, which has a taming bonus of 7. I don't know enough about the mechanics of taming to know if that gives 14 to 17% better effort of not.

I seem to remember, and I could be remembering wrong mind you, that weakening the monster makes it easier to tame. If so weaken then say Lullaby, then go-to-town?

EDIT: I had a thought, what about a tenderising potion?
  • GiegueGiegue
    edited February 19, 2021
    Helsa wrote: »
    Yep, on the other hand there is Taitinn Carp Taming Bait, which has a taming bonus of 7. I don't know enough about the mechanics of taming to know if that gives 14 to 17% better effort of not.

I seem to remember, and I could be remembering wrong mind you, that weakening the monster makes it easier to tame. If so weaken then say Lullaby, then go-to-town?

EDIT: I had a thought, what about a tenderising potion?

Just to clarify:
    The reason why I use Shrimp Bait instead of Taitinn Bait is because I can make it faster and it's cheaper. Shrimp Bait is just Shrimp, Garlic, and Sugar. I can make it in one recipe, in stacks of 10 at a time, for 3g per bait. This is great when I've to craft them in the thousands.

Taitinn Carp bait requires Syrup, which is a second recipe involving Rice, Sugar, and most notoriously Water.
    The Taitinn Carp itself can be purchased from Cadoc for 950g each, increasing the price of each bait to 97g per bait, so it would be more cost effective to fish, but in terms of time effective... not so much. All of that for a measly fraction of a %.

Tendering does the opposite of weakening the monster in comparison to you, but as it does not effect any numerical values, it has no effect on taming. Tendering would only be helpful when trying to Rank the skill.
    Weakening the monster i've been told as no effect, but I've got no difficulty in doing so, and it seems to have failed to make any difference.
  • HelsaHelsa
    ... Taitinn Carp bait requires Syrup, which is a second recipe involving Rice, Sugar, and most notoriously Water.
    The Taitinn Carp itself can be purchased from Cadoc for 950g each, increasing the price of each bait to 97g per bait, so it would be more cost effective to fish, but in terms of time effective... not so much. All of that for a measly fraction of a %.

I checked the wiki and you are of course correct. I just don't remember the recipe being that involved. Maybe they changed it since I did taming? The shrimp bait is more efficient as you say, but there are two or three more effective taming baits to improve your chances. In the end maybe none of them will be good enough. I guess it'll just be a matter of how desperate one can get.
    Tendering does the opposite of weakening the monster in comparison to you, but as it does not effect any numerical values, it has no effect on taming. Tendering would only be helpful when trying to Rank the skill.
    Weakening the monster i've been told as no effect, but I've got no difficulty in doing so, and it seems to have failed to make any difference.

Yeah, you're right. Silly me. It must've been the whisky I was drinking as I wrote it up.
  • NegumikoNegumiko
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,775
    the Mirror Witch is just hard to get to cause you need a giant but yes she should still be easy. when we got the dungeon update it did not effect backroom dungeons, castle dungeons, or Iria dungeon. it would still be nice to see taming get a revamp though.