Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Range Skills for Atlatl

HelsaHelsa
Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
edited February 24, 2021 in Feedback and Suggestions
Just the ones already available to both races, and of those not including: Range Attack/Elf Range Attack (since Throwing Attack already), Bow Mastery/Crossbow Mastery (since not either). So specifically the skills: Crash Shot, Magnum Shot, Spider Shot, Support Shot, and Urgent Shot.

Ca maaaaaaaaaan let us have it. Oh, and if you do then might as well let elves hold a lance as well.

Helsa0151 of Alexina

Comments

• nomigid15nomigid15
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,870
    That or at some kind of javelin-centric versions those skills (like how lances have their own versions of Charge and Counter).
  • Momma_SophieMomma_Sophie
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,575
    edited February 24, 2021
    The fact that Atlatl doesn't work like elves and humans using bows is why giant atlatl is unique... Maybe let's give them more unique skills for atlatl instead? Honestly, I don't see why people don't just simply play as the race that has the skillset they want to use. I think people are ignoring the whole point of what makes these races what they are. At this rate and if Nexon actually took any of this seriously (hopefully not and I'm wondering why I still do), they'll basically just be a difference of "human, human with sharp-ears, and very big human."
  • HelsaHelsa
    edited February 25, 2021
    The fact that Atlatl doesn't work like elves and humans using bows is why giant atlatl is unique.

From a lore point of view, yes. From the executable's point of view, the Atlatl is a "bow". I don't know if the Magnum Shot glitch for giants has been fixed yet, but I had Magnum Shot for a while, and it was fun. To "clean" up the lore just add the word "Atlatl" in front of the skill names. Then add some Lore BS about "figuring out the essential element to the bow skills and how to transfer them to Atlatl, yaddida yaddida"; done.
    edited February 25, 2021
    Helsa wrote: »
    The fact that Atlatl doesn't work like elves and humans using bows is why giant atlatl is unique.

From a lore point of view, yes. From the executable's point of view, the Atlatl is a "bow". I don't know if the Magnum Shot glitch for giants has been fixed yet, but I had Magnum Shot for a while, and it was fun. To "clean" up the lore just add the word "Atlatl" in front of the skill names. Then add some Lore BS about "figuring out the essential element to the bow skills and how to transfer them to Atlatl, yaddida yaddida"; done.

No, I meant mechanically, as well. The Atlatl doesn't hit as hard as bows do, yet the trade-off is that you don't have to deal with RNG aiming. If giant Atlatl got the same skills as bows, they'd have an inherent advantage by not needing to build up aim. This also has to re-analyze the Spirit's upgrade paths and Atlatl Erg benefits. What I'm getting at is why must it be similar to how bows work? Wouldn't you just simply ... use a bow on a human/elf? Don't you guys have GFS and Stampede? Can't you Smash an entire chunk of mobs after raising Erg on a Divine Blade and do it with 3 pierce?
  • HelsaHelsa

No, I meant mechanically, as well. The Atlatl doesn't hit as hard as bows do, yet the trade-off is that you don't have to deal with RNG aiming. If giant Atlatl got the same skills as bows, they'd have an inherent advantage by not needing to build up aim. This also has to re-analyze the Spirit's upgrade paths and Atlatl Erg benefits. What I'm getting at is why must it be similar to how bows work? Wouldn't you just simply ... use a bow on a human/elf? Don't you guys have GFS and Stampede? Can't you Smash an entire chunk of mobs after raising Erg on a Divine Blade and do it with 3 pierce?

Right now it's kind of a one-trick pony. I suppose I could use poison on it which, come to think of it, I do. But I'd like it to have more skills. Like say a skill that lets it hit harder, a skill that hits a primary target then has splash damage. A skill that when I hit something with it, the next melee hit has a bonus, and whateverthehell urgent shot does. :P

Right now it's kind of a one-trick pony. I suppose I could use poison on it which, come to think of it, I do. But I'd like it to have more skills. Like say a skill that lets it hit harder, a skill that hits a primary target then has splash damage. A skill that when I hit something with it, the next melee hit has a bonus, and whateverthehell urgent shot does. :P

Okay, I see what you're saying. Yeah, I'm all on board with more skill variety. I mean, Atlatl is designed for ranged attacks and it gets outclassed by plenty of alternative weapon choices. It's Erg path is underwhelming and its Ego paths aren't too supportive. I think giving the Atlatl some kind of skill set that assists closing the range between you and an enemy could help, like a harpoon. Maybe the Atlatl can get a new modern version that has a set effect to boost critical damage. And tbh, I also think it could use a stronger single target attack. AoE-wise, I'm not so sure. I think that's best left to other talents or Stampeding.