Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Awakened Abyssal Lord hs Eight Chests?

NecrojokerNecrojoker
Mabinogi Rep: 725
in General Chat
My friends and I just did a Kraken Elite run and when it died, there were no chests at our feet. We were instantly confused, but found that there were chests in the center of the room: eight of them. Unless they also changed it, the limit is four players so am I to understand that on top of abysmal drop rates for things like Misty Red Gems and Kraken Hearts we now have an added layer of randomness?

If that is the case, then here is my feedback. This does not feel good. If it is the case that you can only open half the chests, then it leaves everyone in doubt about which chest they should have chosen and instead of having a feeling of "Oh well, we can just keep trying", it leaves a feeling of "Why bother if the rates just got cut in half?"

Would a GM/CM please shed some light on what's going on here?

Comments

• NecrojokerNecrojoker
    Nevermind. With some help, I figured out that the drop rates actually come out to be the same probability. It just doesn't feel good leaving half the chests behind.
  • Momma_SophieMomma_Sophie
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,575
    edited May 16, 2021
    I see why you're concerned.

To sum everything up: You're out of the loop.

Long explanation is that DevCat has decided to take a new approach to dungeons and content. They're intending to experiment with a new concept of allowing players more chest access, depending upon party size: this is occurring in Taiwan's server as of 5/13 and will last for one month.

The goals laid out by the team and director of KR is to revamp content so that players can obtain more chances at materials. You can read about it in this latest update given to us via a post made by Onfao of Nao. Now, I don't know why they increased the chests to eight, but I'll speculate that they're maybe intending to allow 8 people to play in Abyssal Lord/Revived Illusion/etc in the near future.

If you have any more questions, I'll answer to the best of my ability.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    edited May 16, 2021
    So it's fixed at 8 chests regardless of the number who've entered the dungeon? If so then divying up chests for parties of 1, 2, 4, and 8, I can see how it would be done but what about other sized parties? Are some folks just screwed then or does it limit parties to exactly those sizes?
    Helsa wrote: »
    So it's fixed at 8 chests regardless of the number who've entered the dungeon? If so then divying up chests for parties of 1, 2, 4, and 8, I can see how it would be done but what about other sized parties? Are some folks just screwed then or does it limit parties to exactly those sizes?

A quote: "If three players clear the instance, all players get 1 key with a random person receiving 2 keys."

So, the keys will just be randomized. It's basically more worthwhile to just keep parties at 4 or below unless you know 5+ people with whom you can do unga bunga damage rush tactics.
    edited May 18, 2021
    I did some testing and it actually looks like chests per party count varies between content.

In Abyssal Lord, solo gives 4, duo gives 6, and I'd assume 3+ gives 8.
    In Mag Mell, solo gives 3.
    I saw no changes for solo party clears of Veteran dungeons.

It's looking like they're not completely removing the incentive to use alts, but there's way more incentive for people to play together.

For example, you would get 4 chests if you solo'd Abyssal Lord. But, if you ran with 1 other person, you'd both get 3 chests and you'd (hopefully) be doing only half the work. That means more efficient farming over time if you play with others, but you retain the right to play alone (if strong enough) and still reap nice benefits.
  • MaiaMaia
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,195
    I could be wrong but I though the increased number of chests was so that the likelihood of them spawning out of the play zone was decreased. This is also why the chest spawn locations were changed instead of spawning at your feet. But yeah, they are trying to change how chest divvying is done and your rates aren't changed just because there's 4 more chests.
  • NecrojokerNecrojoker
    Sorry to (pun intended) Necro this thread, but aside from this event where we're getting 4 keys regardless of the number of players, I"m seeing a serious problem with drop rates. Initially I was concerned because of a perceived loss of loot, but as I came to understand it, the drop rates didn't change. However, if you're running with three people and only get 3 keys with 8 chests (which is what we get with 3 people when we run) then the drop rates are actually reduced since you're increasing the number of loot rolls from 3 to 8. If you always get 4 keys, then the best odds of getting something rare are running solo and running with 3 people is a waste of time.

That said, if we always get the max number of keys (which should be equal to the number of chests imo), then I'd be all for this.