Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Great Era of Commerce Part 2 Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/75598/great-era-of-commerce-part-2-patch-notes-july-28th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Pronunciation for the various Welsh words?

DDSNDDSN
Mabinogi Rep: 860
in Story Discussion
How do you pronounce some of these names, and is there a way to easily find out how it should be properly spoken? I have an ambition to make some videos talking about the lore and story of the game, but I don't want to sound like a fool while narrating.

Things like Sidhe Sneachta, Taillteann, Glas Ghaibhleann, Briogh, all these countless words/names that I'm dead certain there's no way I'm saying properly.

Comments

• HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 21,980
    edited August 2
    DDSN wrote: »
    How do you pronounce some of these names, and is there a way to easily find out how it should be properly spoken? I have an ambition to make some videos talking about the lore and story of the game, but I don't want to sound like a fool while narrating.

Things like Sidhe Sneachta, Taillteann, Glas Ghaibhleann, Briogh, all these countless words/names that I'm dead certain there's no way I'm saying properly.

- The double L, in Welsh, as I recall is a kind of lateral fricative. Press your tongue behind your front top teeth and try to hiss like a cat.
    - In Irish bh is a V sound. The Irish version of Susan, Siobhan, is pronounced shivawn. I'm guessing that's the same in Welsh.
    - gh is probably your standard throat clearing consonant that we associate with Eastern Mediterranean languages.
    - this is a bit of a guess, but in Hindi dh is sort of a th-ish sound so I suspect it might be the same here.
    - cht is probably pronounced exactly as it's spelled.
    - e is probably pronounced ay.
    - a is probably ah, as per English.
    - i is probably ee.
    - o is probably an aw.
    - ea is probably ay-ah.
    - ai is probably like "eye" or "aye".
    - io is probably ee-aw, almost like a donkey!
    - r is probably rolled.
    - nn, no idea, maybe it's an n followed by a ng?

I'm not Welsh though so ... um ... yeah.
    DDSN
  • DDSNDDSN
    Mabinogi Rep: 860
    Wow, that was very detailed; thank you!
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 21,980
    edited August 2
    DDSN wrote: »
    Wow, that was very detailed; thank you!

Fugitaboutit.

@Crimsọn
    DDSN