Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Please bring back Duncan's skill reset service.

talex9talex9
Mabinogi Rep: 840
in Feedback and Suggestions
Pretty please?

Comments

• HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    talex9 wrote: »
    Pretty please?

WHAAAAAAAT! I can't find reference to it being taken away. Although there is no more CP sensitive training, it's still useful for borrowing AP from yourself.
  • talex9talex9
    Yeah ...probably the reason why they took it away in the first place.

I'm still to find someone else who DIDN'T use it for that purpose besides me though.
  • HelsaHelsa

I'm still to find someone else who DIDN'T use it for that purpose besides me though.

At least there's still talent reset caps awarded in events from time to time. I used them on Ninja, Puppet, and Duel Guns!
  • LoomyOfPiLoomyOfPi
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,375

I have all the AP I need. By my combat power had been way to high to level up certain skills, even with -CP gear and tendering potions. Forget about anything that required Boss kills. So I reset my skills last summer just to rank up Gold Strike so I could go for Grandmaster Merchant. I went ahead and ranked a few other skills while I was at it. But I could only take being a weakling for a few days. And raising other skills rapidly increased my CP to the point I might as well as re-rank everything and let the remaining CP-related skills fall by the wayside. So I reset for the CP drain.

So yeah, I didn't do it for the AP. I did it to lose CP.

But my gut tells me there are probably good reasons to keep the skill resets at Duncan. When I reset, it helped me work around a skill that had stopped accepting training EXP. When that skill was reset and re-ranked, it worked properly.

With that said, as of the moment, with the 20k event, there is no need to worry about AP. Do the Blaanid stuff, run through the genterations, and you'll be rewarded with ridiculous AP in no time. I started a low-level ALT two weeks ago (no storylines). I just finished G12 on him today and he's sitting comfortably with AP to spare, despite being r1 (or near to it) in most combat/range/magic/chain/ninja skills. Not saying this to brag, but rather to say ranking skills is pathetically easy right now.
  • HelsaHelsa
    LoomyOfPi wrote: »

I have all the AP I need. By my combat power had been way to high to level up certain skills, even with -CP gear and tendering potions. Forget about anything that required Boss kills. So I reset my skills last summer just to rank up Gold Strike so I could go for Grandmaster Merchant. I went ahead and ranked a few other skills while I was at it. But I could only take being a weakling for a few days. And raising other skills rapidly increased my CP to the point I might as well as re-rank everything and let the remaining CP-related skills fall by the wayside. So I reset for the CP drain.

So yeah, I didn't do it for the AP. I did it to lose CP.

But my gut tells me there are probably good reasons to keep the skill resets at Duncan. When I reset, it helped me work around a skill that had stopped accepting training EXP. When that skill was reset and re-ranked, it worked properly.

With that said, as of the moment, with the 20k event, there is no need to worry about AP. Do the Blaanid stuff, run through the genterations, and you'll be rewarded with ridiculous AP in no time. I started a low-level ALT two weeks ago (no storylines). I just finished G12 on him today and he's sitting comfortably with AP to spare, despite being r1 (or near to it) in most combat/range/magic/chain/ninja skills. Not saying this to brag, but rather to say ranking skills is pathetically easy right now.

I was fortunate enough to get through the CP trap before Duncans service went into effect; mind you there are two types of fortune. What was my trick? I gave Nexon hundreds of dollars in skill reset caps! D:

07462ea00b3efa600d38f35b6c90427a.jpg

I kept my CP just under 1000 so lions would stay boss rating. Mind you when they first introduced fighter they had an event where you would get a full reset cap every day for, like, three weeks, so I made full use of that and any awarded afterwards.
  • talex9talex9
    I feel it takes a lot away from the original concept -or what I believe it was, at least- of making your character what you want it to be. Nowadays, you *HAVE* to do everything and be everything or be left out of content, and, ok, no new content for me? Fine, I'll just run ciar again, but let me change my skills so this time I can be the mage instead of the tank and don't one-shot all creeps making it a stupid...oh, no, wait, now I can't change my skills...so my options now are to one-shot everything or be one-shotted everywhere else.

It's anti-sandbox. It's anti-fantasy. It goes against creativity and just pushes everyone to mindlessly do the same that everyone else is doing in a dumb bigorexian competition. "Want to fix old-content? Throw bigger numbers on it!", "People are whining about balance? Give them more stats and more numbers!", "Playerbase dwindle? Bigger numbers, bigger numbers everywhere!", "No new players? Tell them they can be as powerful as old players and they will flock!! Big numbers!!". And, ok, that's a way to run a game, since it's what the distasteful masses want, and they put the money for the food on the table, but why take *this* particular thing away? It probably doesn't hurt anyone and everyone using it for AP or cp is likely to not even care about it much anymore anyways.

Disregard my comments, though, as I haven't found anyone using it for anything other than those two reasons nor for the ones I was using it, therefore, it's as unpopular as opinions go...and we know those are unlikely to put food on the table. "*X* system is deprecated and unpopular? Eliminate!...oh, and throw big numbers around it".
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,615
    i used to use it for gaining back AP too
  • talex9talex9
    Since I'm mostly certain about the futility of my pleads (save for the sad occurrence of hope that just doesn't know when to die...or maybe how to do so), I will not bother doing a new post for a topic that is probably very closely related, but:

-Please bring back potion poisoning-

More or less for the same reasons as above: weak monsters too weak, blah, blah, blah, can't do early content without it looking stupid without dampening my numbers, blah, blah, don't want to reset level on rebirth so I don't lose beginner benefits, blah, blah, blah, pets too strong too, blah.

Or if taking back your actions on these particular issues is just something you don't want to do, how about

-Please make an actual weakening potion-

Or re-spec the scope of tendering potions (do they even still have a scope?).

I'm repeating myself though. And not just on this post, but on the forum, as I wrote that idea on another post. And, maybe, they are not even being read by anyone that can make a change or by anybody that cares, in case suggestions get considered on a popularity contest basis. Or, worse, they get taken by a really spiteful being and crafts them into an ironical opposite and next changes in game seem to be targeted at worsening *this* particular situation. Paranoid? No, trust me, it wouldn't be the first time happening to me, but ok, there can still be grounds for a 'untimely coincidence' or whatever term born of cyniscm rather than sceptism each wants to use.

But, can't say I didn't try, right?
  • LoomyOfPiLoomyOfPi
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,375
    I feel it takes a lot away from the original concept -or what I believe it was, at least- of making your character what you want it to be. Nowadays, you *HAVE* to do everything and be everything or be left out of content...

I'm not sure how having/not having this feature applies to Duncan's now-defunct service, but this would be among my biggest complaints of the game today. When I started, I got the distinct impression that you could be what you wanted to be (warrior, mage, tailor, etc.) and be successful in the game. Now days, even that's not enough. You need to rank everything AND have equipment that makes Vibranium look like tissue paper.
    Sherri
  • talex9talex9
    As of my way of playing, I just went to Duncan to reset everything and intoxicated myself with all potions I could find until very poisoned and went to do early content that only nostalgic people nowadays probably know about (yet, still probably don't go back to). I wasn't an early-days player, I just find all numbers more easy to tilt towards more powerful/less powerful when they're not accounted in the thousands or millions. But I am one to find entertainment in 'oh! I almost won!' and 'oh! I barely won!', even if it's arguably artificially crafted by myself. Nevertheless, it seems the 'normal' way of playing, as I have perceived it, is more of an 'ugh! I lost and MUST be more powerful' or 'ugh! That was SO easy! I can't believe these lazy bums don't make more difficult content so I can show off'. No middle point. Never a satisfaction to the point of driving the desire of repeating or innovating. But, of course, maybe I haven't met the 'right' kind of people.

Now, these ways of playing by the majority is what I believe to be the motivating factor for developers (not just in mabinogi, but in, like, everything) to just make things more difficult and have that be the babysitter. It's more noticeable the longer the game has been running.

So far, *I guess* there's no problem in that. It's what the majority wants, it's what makes them give their money to feed the developers' families, it's what makes the world turn, it's democracy! And -more importantly- I've found it futile to oppose, or rather, to educate in an alternate way. But maybe I'm just a bad teacher.

The problem though, as I see it, is when these developers neglect the playerbase that just doesn't want to go with a vision that lacks...finesse? fairness? taste? point? or whatever it is that attracts in the opposite. These can be noticed in the absence of new content that can be done with less difficulty/resources/social skilling/etc, but, it goes to an even greater extent, to that of an insult even, when early content gets erased from the game. It's as if they were stating 'hey, you will do *this* thing instead. Because I'm telling you so. And also, you will do it the way I tell you to do it, because doing it any other way is going to prove highly inneficient or even inneffective'.

This insult is not just to the playerbase with the mentioned mentality, but also to the original creators, whose concept will continue to get diluted to the point of extinction. And even if it isn't the fault of newer, delusional and more pedantic management (it could still be the original's creators re-invisionment), it still may constitute an insult to the core idea's existence.

It's the revolution of the more powerful over the weak. It has been that way since the beginning of this dreadful existence and will probably continue to be until the long-awaited end. 'right' or 'wrong' is not important. 'popular' is.

Yet, this is loaded with hipocresy, since I do enjoy not having to train for months so that my four-leaf clover making ability is slightly above mediocre. Nevertheless, I still fail to see what harm would have made to, for example, have left the monster rank training system intact but making skill training using it optional and just allowing the player to chose what to use. Likewise, I don't see what harm leaving Duncan's reset system would have made. Or what even is the point in taking them away. Who does it benefit? Or is it just something done to see who gets angry about it and see them squirm as they write endless futile forum posts about something they can't change? No, really, I'm actually interested in an answer, maybe it would help understand what kind of sadistic abusive mentality goes behind the biggest creator and developer, the one we call god, and the reason behind the absurd amount of obstacles placed for this experiment in torture we call life, if any. Or maybe it's just hell and no explanations needed.

Yeah...that's it! 'evilness'. That would explain why every player is forced to see every alleged 'cook' abuse of the 'best dish' mechanic for hours unending without it being called 'spam', why this company doesn't do something to eliminate that and why other 'players' don't seem to care about that or the abuse of the 'dungeon party's' system to sell garbage, but seem to find unbearable to watch a bot selling gold (I don't even think they exist anymore). I would have been inclined to think the reason was 'stupidity', but that can also be called 'evil', right?
  • HelsaHelsa
    The loss of the Duncan's service, the level 200 bonus, and getting rid of CP sensitive training, I think, are all related. I suspect Nexon didn't fully anticipate to what extent Duncan's service would be used, or to what extent the level 200 bonus would be used. When they did, they decided to nerf them. By doing so, they realised that CP sensitive training would become as difficult as it was in the game originally. Anticipating the beaching over that they removed the CP sensitive requirements as compensation.

So, is it better now? Hm.
  • talex9talex9
    edited January 15, 2023
    One more thing, what if I *DON'T* want to increase my total level through blaanid? You certainly gave an improvement to the power greedy playerbase that would rather consider deleting their character rather than missing out on a couple of levels, but for a person (still, maybe THE ONLY person) that doesn't want to go past level 1000, not giving the option of NOT INCREASING MY CUMULATIVE LEVEL AUTOMATICALLY, just excludes me and my characters further away from content, gifts and benefits. Ultimately, i'm just trying to understand why, in case the answer isn't just 'because evil. You know what? We don't like you or cater content for people like you. Go somewhere else'. Because when such a big amount of 'improvements' seem to be targeted against your beliefs, you start to wonder if this could be the case.

A suggestion (because I'm stubborn even when hated) would be to keep the 'reset level and age' box unticked on the rebirth screen if I last left it so, because it is ever as stressful for me not remembering if I clicked it and, when I mistakenly don't, pushing my characters forward and forward permanently away from benefits as it is for the previously mentioned playerbase, although I hope I don't consider deleting my character on such vain reasons.

Or, just give the beginner benefits and other things restricted for characters under level 1000 to anybody. In the end, they probably just would make for a more enjoyable experience. Something certainly needed to counteract the remaining -and increasing- limitations, walled content, disguised enslavery, demands, reduced rewarding systems and other unpleasant elements that your executive team seems to consider as fun or consider endorsing as fun.

I just think what made mabinogi really different was the sandbox elements -giving possibilities to the user on customizing their content - but it seems the only thing remaining still is the ability to choose wardrobe...unless you plan to fight, then you need armor...or cash for a style tab...nevermind, i think I'm digressing again.