Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

This Laptop, what would you use it for?

SplatulatedSplatulated
Mabinogi Rep: 3,930
in Town Square

Comments

• KouyioueKouyioue
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,030
    edited April 22, 2017
    nothing.
    For me personally, it has no active stylus and isn't convertible to tablet,
    is too heavy,
    has embarrassing old-fashioned style keyboard keys(switch buttons are a superstitious placebo anyways.),
    is too thick,
    coqfSKl.png
    probably has terrible battery life considering what it's designed for,
    and personally again: soooo ugly... !

I like my half-pound ultrathin laptop tablet convertible just fine ^_^ It maxes out crysis with ce5 textures and tons of extra framerate at max res.

Maybe if I was issued one on a job, I'd probably hide it in a closet and use it as a headless server.... because dang. I wouldn't be caught dead with that thing out in public xD

- - - - - - -

What would you do with THIS laptop?

panasonic-toughbook-cf-25-bullets.jpg
  • TheNyanCatTheNyanCat
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,665
    Cat videos. Lots of them.
  • AquasolAquasol
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,465
    Member, Volunteer Forum Moderator
    I'd do what I always do: play a lot of old games, RPGs, and the occasional more recent game if I like it.

I don't like too much anti-aliasing in games.
  • SaiSai
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,785
    Delete spam from my email account and read reddit.
  • lidiyalidiya
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,325
    edited April 22, 2017
    acer? they are still in business?
    I remember many years ago(talking something like 15) they had some of the WORST computers on the market, and got in trouble for buying seconds, and selling them at a premium. They were probably worst then e-machines at one point.
    Can't say how they are now as I haven't hear a thing about them in almost 13 years, and honestly thought they went under.

As for using that laptop for mabinogi... honestly its performance prolly would be mediocre as mabi don't work that well with modern CPU's, and GPUs as its gfx engine is ancient, and doesn't support many newer features added to CPU's in the past 10 years(like multi threading, multi CPU's, GPU offloading etc)...
    Side note according to its specs it should run any modern game at ultra high settings with no issues.
  • KelpSodaKelpSoda
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,145
    edited April 22, 2017
    throw it into a corner and hook it up to an useable keyboard and mouse, and a 4k / 1440p 21:9 / 1080p-144hz display

only take it with me to the bathroom and take my sweet time there

objectively the only way to use this thing

the screen is clearly poop so it doesnt make sense to throw 2 1080s there, who was the genius that built this? SMH

alternatively this:

avgn_nes_accessories_redux_by_michael2002.jpg

"VR is a good idea"
  • TsumukuTsumuku
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,610
    Predator 21x is a bragging rights product. It is a "my pocket are deeper than yours" moment. That being said, if you're interested to know more about it, Linustechtips does a good review on Youtube.
    Honestly, I just prefer having a portable and then using Nvidia's game streaming. I have decent enough internet at home, and unlimited 4G on my phone. The latency between my phone and home ranges a little, but it is good enough to be playable, surprisingly more so that I would have suspected. I wouldn't suggest trying it for anything fast paced like a racing game. But for things like Mabi, or even Borderlands 2 it works great.
    But I understand that not everyone is like me. The Predator 21x is really aimed at someone that travels often, and wants to enjoy the best possible gaming experience on the go. There is no compromises made with the 21x. It has a very limited market, which they knew when they designed it, which is why it has a high price tag and a small production run.
    Speaking to ACERs quality, while they did have a bottom of the list name for laptops and desktops entering the 2000s, they fairly quickly regained a standing as a mediocre brand, until 2011 when they got their new CEO that came in with the mission statement of "We're done making terrible products". I don't know that I would own an Acer computer, but I do know they have a pretty good monitor lineup now.
    has embarrassing old-fashioned style keyboard keys(switch buttons are a superstitious placebo anyways.),
    is too thick,
    MX Cherry switches are life. I type slower and miss more keystrokes on a membrane keyboard than I do with an MX based keyboard, as do many typists. To say they're placebo only really enforces that you haven't had hands on time with good quality keyboard. The fact that you don't need to bottom them out to actuate them is a real benefit.
    Now if you wanted to talk about RGB and tangible benefits, I completely agree. Other than a potential cool factor, and helping those that have yet to master their layout I can't think of a way that this actually helps.
  • watercat0watercat0
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,855
    Any computer can run on mabinogi, i even tested out on a cloud computer with the highest settings and there was no lag.
  • TsumukuTsumuku
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,610
    @Watercat0 Mind expanding on the term "cloud computer". I imagine that you're talking about a virtual machine, at which point it is going to come down to a lot of other variables. What the the Host OS? What form of virtualization was being used? What type of processor? What system architecture? How many threads, and how much ram were you alotted? What do you consider laggy?
    I may believe you if you're talking about using it on a hosted system that is alotting you a considerably powerful processor, with 2GB RAM +, and has a Geforce GPU that is capable of GameStream with the IOMMU handing all IO of that card to the guest operating system. Other than that, I would say that you have a very lenient measurement of "laggy", as pretty much any RDP client is going to forgo frame rate and quality in favor of attempting to maintain a user experience that doesn't come at a large cost of bandwidth.
  • watercat0watercat0
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,855
    Tsumuku wrote: »
    @Watercat0 Mind expanding on the term "cloud computer". I imagine that you're talking about a virtual machine, at which point it is going to come down to a lot of other variables. What the the Host OS? What form of virtualization was being used? What type of processor? What system architecture? How many threads, and how much ram were you alotted? What do you consider laggy?
    I may believe you if you're talking about using it on a hosted system that is alotting you a considerably powerful processor, with 2GB RAM +, and has a Geforce GPU that is capable of GameStream with the IOMMU handing all IO of that card to the guest operating system. Other than that, I would say that you have a very lenient measurement of "laggy", as pretty much any RDP client is going to forgo frame rate and quality in favor of attempting to maintain a user experience that doesn't come at a large cost of bandwidth.

This: https://www.paperspace.com/gaming
  • KelpSodaKelpSoda
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,145
    look at those walls of texts pretending to know what they're talking about