Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Discussion on Life Skills Mini Games.

KisarayaKisaraya
Mabinogi Rep: 2,060
in General Chat
Here's something I wanted to talk about with the community for some time, if developers or GMs enter into it fine, if not that's ok too. I'm a bit confused you see, and have been for quite some time. Life skills, particularly; Tailoring, fossil Restoration, Fishing, and Blacksmithing all have timed elements to the mini games. This I find opposite to life, since I've done most of these in real life. Such skills, and leather working (which we don't have here) allow users to spend time to fix, and refix items until they're perfect. Particularly fossil restoration...I get it, you want to make it hard to be worth the lava cat robe, but fossil restoration, any archeologist will tell you it takes time. They don't use big huge brushes they go slow and steady with cue tips often times. This combined with the fact that the system of part time jobs 'reset' makes many people give up doing life skills I think. If this is a fantasy life where anyone can do anything, shouldn't anyone be allowed to develop their character and not punish them because they don't have 'time'?

I would like to see a life skills revamp, where mini games actually utilize actual elements from real life. Where it's about accuracy not speed. Along with actual tools to make, improve the final product. So for example different baits for fishing for different things you're trying to catch, could even be made with cooking or handicraft.

Maybe I'm wrong in thinking this. Give me some of your viewpoints. Let's have a genuine discussion about this. If I'm wrong then I'm wrong and move on, if the community finds it fine as is. Thanks in advance.
  1. Do you believe the life skill mini games should be timed?38 votes
    1. Yes
       34% (13 votes)
    2. No
       58% (22 votes)
    3. I don't do life skills
       3% (1 vote)
    4. I'm really bad at life skill mini games.
       5% (2 votes)

Comments

• NilremNilrem
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,880
    I actually prefer the life skill minigames, and wish they were more of a factor.

Mostly so someone was not making good items just because of their rank, but because they are actually good at making them.
    CrimsọnGoldtiger01
  • BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,425
    I think the suggestion is neat, but the way of thinking to be a bit off. For one, real life should not take precedence over game play conveniences, which is a pretty big rule. Imagine if our horses died permanently, and we have to spend more money to buy another, just to feed it constantly, or where death is permanent?

This is rule of thumb for a great deal of fictional works. Saga 1, with the greatly hated Milia, had defenders saying "She is realistic teenager, and going through a great deal". Well...yeah, so? An unlikable lead we have to share the spot with still drags down the story for many, and even thought she is a teenager going through an ordeal, sometimes you have to sacrifice elements to please the audience with a story they WANT to hear. Having a hint of verisimilitude need not necessarily mean physically possible in our world, and Milia had not the coming of age story that would been more apt in Grave Of The Fireflies than anything else.

I prefer RNG in a way, seemingly because life skill minigames are excruciatingly difficult at times, and more so to spam.

In any case, what did you exactly have in mind?
    LhakrymaImaizumi
  • lidiyalidiya
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,325
    personally I'd love to see the mini games completely scrapped as I find them more annoying then anything especially when you are making a lot of items.
  • KisarayaKisaraya
    Well for one, we have a lot of items, say in handicraft, there could be more interdependence between life skills, to create tools needed to make items. So you can make a more in advance (like the nature reserve), but not difficult items to make, just more specific recipes. Right now, most of the life skills require 2 to 3 items. I would rather things be in three or four tiers for the r1 stuff, much like cooking is now (though I have my own gripes with that, like there are no measuring cups in the land of the bards?) anyways. Let me give you an example.

For rF to rA for tailoring you'd be making thread, wool, and other minor materials and get skill experience. You could also be making patterns (rather than buy them) by cutting a shape, and studying clothing.

For r9 to r6 for tailoring you'd be making clothing pieces (arms, legs, torso patterns) and get skill experience. You might also be making things like bags, shoes, and decorative patterns for clothing.

For r5 to r3 you'd be putting it all together, pieces, picking materials (to adjust stats), and making advanced patterns. You might get experience for mending other player clothing, or increasing durability.

For r2 to Master you would be making advanced clothing based off your patterns. So like composing when you'd use particular materials or patterns you could get bonuses, or other effects (like enchants) on the clothing when finished.

This is just one idea. Many games run their crafting like this. The problem I primarily see is the numbers game. Rather than make pieces that you'll use for later levels, you're making tons of random items that you sell, fragment for materials, or just destroy. I know it's supposed to be fantasy and not always real, but it's also supposed to be somewhat relaxing, we have people grinding ptj just to get to rA to make something to actually get skill experience to level up. IE at rF you make nothing that you might need to level up at rA. Especially when as I said ptj reset.

I would like to see more options available and less number grinding, because honestly in parts of the game it's sick (1000+ or more items) to rank up once. Let's have more variety and less grindy.
  • YokkaichiYokkaichi
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,145
    Kisaraya wrote: »
    You might get experience for mending other player clothing, or increasing durability.
    That part right there. I think that's a good idea. Like, having your clothing, accessories, weapons and the like repaired by other players. Maybe they can start repairing things at a higher rank, with a chance to increase the durability of the item. But if that were to be implemented, there wouldn't be much of a need for durability hammers, and I guess the NPC's wouldn't have much to do either beyond upgrading equipment. Still, it's a nice thought.

• LeineiLeinei
    Mabinogi Rep: 16,440
    lidiya wrote: »
    personally I'd love to see the mini games completely scrapped as I find them more annoying then anything especially when you are making a lot of items.

I agree. I know the blacksmithing mini game has an annoying issue where sometimes the cursor will move across the window, so it can lead to inaccurate clicking. =T
  • XiokunXiokun
    Mabinogi Rep: 11,100
    Leinei wrote: »

I agree. I know the blacksmithing mini game has an annoying issue where sometimes the cursor will move across the window, so it can lead to inaccurate clicking. =T

What!! All this time I thought it was me doing something stupid or sneezing that made my mouse fly off by mistake. Good to know I'm not the only one.

I'm actually the complete opposite. I'd love it there was MORE minigames and NO RNG. :U But by more minigames, I mean really fun minigames that don't have any weird kinks and tricks that try to fail the user. And then, as you would go up the ranks of the said life skill, the mini games would become easier.
  • BuffalosBuffalos
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,795
    Nilrem wrote: »
    I actually prefer the life skill minigames, and wish they were more of a factor.

Mostly so someone was not making good items just because of their rank, but because they are actually good at making them.

You can't put a signature on smithed items unless you do well at the mini game, from my understanding.
    Xiokun wrote: »
    I'm actually the complete opposite. I'd love it there was MORE minigames and NO RNG. :U But by more minigames, I mean really fun minigames that don't have any weird kinks and tricks that try to fail the user. And then, as you would go up the ranks of the said life skill, the mini games would become easier.

It'd be more fun to have more small challenges and less mind-numbing "click drop everything I own into this window and pray" systems.
  • MarithMarith
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,005
    edited May 9, 2017
    Buffalos wrote: »
    You can't put a signature on smithed items unless you do well at the mini game, from my understanding.

Yes. Though it's slightly more annoying than that, since even if you're good at the mini-game, you'll rarely sig without production quality enchants, unless there's some kinda secret no one wants to share. Just on the grounds of how your "hit" can register anywhere in the square.

Personally the only minigame I don't like is metal conversion.
  • BuffalosBuffalos
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,795
    Marith wrote: »
    Yes. Though it's slightly more annoying than that, since even if you're good at the mini-game, you'll rarely sig without production quality enchants, unless there's some kinda secret no one wants to share. Just on the grounds of how your "hit" can register anywhere in the square.

The Blacksmithing game there are the five marks you have to hit in order towards the end of your swing gauge. You have to basically bulls-eye those 5 markers. Then there's a stupid theory that the Finishing Step (that final confirmation click) has it's own invisible marker that you want to be as close to as possible for a greater grade.
    Marith wrote: »
    Personally the only minigame I don't like is metal conversion.

DOES THAT MINIGAME EVEN DO ANYTHING?
  • TheNyanCatTheNyanCat
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,665
    Buffalos wrote: »
    DOES THAT MINIGAME EVEN DO ANYTHING?

It increases your chances at potential rewards according to the wiki, doesn't do anything else.
  • KisarayaKisaraya
    edited May 9, 2017
    The other thing I'd like to see happen which I doubt I will is ; Start a ptj at any time, but you can only do 1 per shop every 36 minutes. So you could do 1 for grocery store, 1 for blacksmith etc. So if someone is doing several skills they could do them back to back to back rather than "Nope, half the jobs start at noon or 7 am."

The reasoning behind this is, someone could log into the game and start the part time job instead of waiting possibly twenty minutes to do it. So in the span of 2 hours they might get 3 or 4 done, instead of how it currently is, where they might get 2 done.
  • ImaizumiImaizumi
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,225
    edited May 9, 2017
    Kisaraya wrote: »
    The other thing I'd like to see happen which I doubt I will is ; Start a ptj at any time, but you can only do 1 per shop every 36 minutes. So you could do 1 for grocery store, 1 for blacksmith etc. So if someone is doing several skills they could do them back to back to back rather than "Nope, half the jobs start at noon or 7 am."

The reasoning behind this is, someone could log into the game and start the part time job instead of waiting possibly twenty minutes to do it. So in the span of 2 hours they might get 3 or 4 done, instead of how it currently is, where they might get 2 done.

Since they sort of already scrapped realism and are generally in favor of convenience as of late I think this change is reasonable and quite good. No reason for the ptjs to be the way they are when we've done away with semi-randomized destinations for moon gates and items dropping on death to name some of the QoL changes over the years.