Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Recent cyber attack is on the loose!

RoyRedRoyRed
Mabinogi Rep: 2,140
edited May 15, 2017 in Town Square
Alright everyone listen up here,right now the machines are getting hacked for ransom for unable to use the PC&other machines,this is a serious important message to all of you that care about your life with your PC&other important things,since I am typing this from the the web news for myself so,I am telling you should update your PC with the high level of protection,we can't let this happen to our lives,we want to stay alive for the bright future;try to share this info if you want to stay connected so no one will suffer! Be safe around you no matter what alright? This is all I can say like a person...
[Deleted User]

Comments

• BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,425
    This really does not just affect Mabinogi, and this may count as FUD as such. (General attacks and exploitation systems are common these days, but the implication here is that Mabinogi is especially affected, by people who are likely to abuse it IN Mabinogi.)
    [Deleted User]
  • lidiyalidiya
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,325
    Can this be written in English please?

Seriously though what did I read?
    [Deleted User]Aeolys
  • BuffalosBuffalos
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,795
    Probably belongs in Town Square. Warning is appreciated, but the targeted machines (from my understanding) are all in major corporations, hospitals, or transportation/public service systems. Really don't think too many people outside these zones were hit by what was in the news this past weekend.
    [Deleted User]
  • SplatulatedSplatulated
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,930
    Buffalos wrote: »
    Probably belongs in Town Square. Warning is appreciated, but the targeted machines (from my understanding) are all in major corporations, hospitals, or transportation/public service systems. Really don't think too many people outside these zones were hit by what was in the news this past weekend.

the virus is self spreading, unlike ransomware of the past though that required the user to launch an application to make it spread, thing spreads on its own
    [Deleted User]
  • BuffalosBuffalos
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,795
    the virus is self spreading, unlike ransomware of the past though that required the user to launch an application to make it spread, thing spreads on its own

From what I've found it's stayed relatively self-contained in those zones. It isn't outside the realm of possibility that it has spread outside those areas, but there really wouldn't be much point in the hackers hitting personal computers of normal people rather than big-targets with big wallets.
    [Deleted User]
    The question is whether or not you have data worth ransoming, and the money. Hospital and clinics are targeted because of patient information, which cannot be claimed back in most cases, causing the need to recreate or retrieve them, and having sufficient money to give.
    [Deleted User]
  • NegumikoNegumiko
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,775
    The question is whether or not you have data worth ransoming, and the money. Hospital and clinics are targeted because of patient information, which cannot be claimed back in most cases, causing the need to recreate or retrieve them, and having sufficient money to give.

ransomware can attack any computer if your not careful and anyone can be a target. some people that don't have a lot of technical computer skills may be unprepared and easy targets for ransomware to hold their computer hostage to try to get money. it is important to be careful what you click on and keep a computer clean. superantispyware is a good free program to help get rid of unwanted spyware programs http://www.superantispyware.com/
    [Deleted User]
  • HabinogiHabinogi
    Mabinogi Rep: 735
    This is a genuine issue potentially happening world-wide. For users who are beyond the basic level of security knowledge, firewall-programs are good, too. Some people use ZoneAlarm, but I personally prefer to use the Comodo products, and if you really want to be paranoid, BitLocker all of your storage devices. Put a lock on all of your information.

For other geeking software purposes, CCleaner from Piriform, Glary Utilities, MemTurbo, Duplicate Cleaner from DigitalVolcano Software, just to name a few. I actually have a fairly large list of useful software programs that I've discovered, tested, used, approve, but we'll just leave it at this list for now in terms of keeping your systems relatively clean and optimised.
    [Deleted User]
    edited May 16, 2017
    Negumiko wrote: »

ransomware can attack any computer if your not careful and anyone can be a target. some people that don't have a lot of technical computer skills may be unprepared and easy targets for ransomware to hold their computer hostage to try to get money. it is important to be careful what you click on and keep a computer clean. superantispyware is a good free program to help get rid of unwanted spyware programs http://www.superantispyware.com/

Of course, but they are not usually targets is what I am saying. The data is hardly worth bargaining for in most cases, and most people do not have the will or the money. If they had something like financial information, they could just as easily back stab you as one could call said companies to cancel transactions; especially since you cannot just ransom every digital record of said financial information.

That being said, it seems to be a mostly automated process in spread and infection, so the effort per attempt seems minimal when you can go after anyone.
    [Deleted User]
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    lidiya wrote: »

You seem to be very rude and negative person. Almost in every post i can sense that from you.
    [Deleted User]
  • KelpSodaKelpSoda
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,145
    edited May 17, 2017
    press windows key
    hit the cog looking thing
    go to updates
    hit windows updates
    hit search for updates

also send me a pm if you want to thank me (i take paypals huehuehuehue) c:

btw this thing can hit anyone because the NSA are a bunch of cucks and don't report vulnerabilities to microsoft like a sane person would

also lol @ the responses in this thread
    AlmostNotsuper[Deleted User]
  • lidiyalidiya
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,325
    edited May 17, 2017
    Greta wrote: »
    lidiya wrote: »

You seem to be very rude and negative person. Almost in every post i can sense that from you.

Sorry you see me that way, but the OP looks like gibberish it doesn't state what is going on, and the lack of spaces after punctuation is kind of atrocious to read. I'm not some grammar nutcase who jumps over people, or even mind an occasional misspelling or two, but the subject is hazy at best, and for someone that doesn't have time to look at the lazily done over sensationalized churnalism on TV.
    In all truth this reads more like one of those spam malware E-mails scammers like to send out. I'm sorry if English isn't his native language, but I've had conversations with many people which this was the case, and had no problem understanding them.

Now reading some of the replies (seriously how people deciphered that is beyond me maybe I'm too old) I see the issue. As for self spreading malware unless your PC is connected straight to the cable modem with no router in between the 2 chances are low that you will get this as a properly configured router will not let the traffic through.
    I've seen similar in the 2000's, and have had my own private network infected by one that required no interaction to infect when I ran a windows 2000 PC as a router(yes bad idea, but back then routers were expensive this is also why I said it is a bad idea ;))

The ransom ware part is the only real new spin on the same old shtick.

FWIW as someone that currently works in the health field, and have seen some of the atrocities of IT they commit it wouldn't surprise me if they were running unpatched versions of windows 98/ME/2000.\

Side note just looked into on a tech news site it seems this is being overblown as it seems according to security researchers the Uiwix ransom ware isn't even a worm, and has to manually exploited... So unless you are rich(as you won't be a target), and have your PC on the internet without any firewall blocking SMB you can get hit ;) (only reference to a new ransomeware I could find so assuming this is what the OP meant)

Edit: Seems there is another one called wannacrypt running around accessing port 445 on windows PC's again a router would stop that pretty easily unless you purposely have port 445 forwarded to a PC of yours...
    [Deleted User]
  • AquasolAquasol
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,465
    Member, Volunteer Forum Moderator
    It's nice to see MSFT even published an update to XP to help stop this, though I'm surprised they actually called out the NSA over their policy of not disclosing the vulnerabilities they find, to the point of indirectly blaming them.
    [Deleted User]Shaeli
  • ShadoeShadoe
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,090
    Eh, it's not that new (even the newer, self-spreading version), it's just that it's finally making it to countries like the US. Most antivirus software was probably updated to stop it long before most of us had a chance of being attacked.
    [Deleted User]