Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

The Homestead House

SylekSylek
Mabinogi Rep: 2,100
edited June 13, 2017 in Feedback and Suggestions
I know housing already exists as a separate thing from the homestead, and the homestead is nice on its own, but what's even the point of the homestead houses? They do have an effect of being able to register homestead friends, but could we add an interior to them as well or instead? Customize it with various props in the same manner as we do the exterior? I'd love having a private, interior location to hang out at, but I'm also broke. Many players use the current housing as a personal shop, leaving the house itself to be little more than a room filled only with the goods. Adding this alongside it would allow players to have a shop and an aesthetic house to enjoy.

As for some details on implementing an interior layer to the homestead via the house prop :

Interior Maps
  • Camp/Igloo - Can be like a permanent camping set but slightly bigger and no rest bonus. Would be the smallest and have very limited props or none at all.
  • Houses - Houses will require some form of upkeep (will elaborate further below) and will allow the player to build Props (listed below) to decorate as they see fit. Players could potentially rest in beds or chairs, similar to what is already possible outside with Ladeca and Eweca props. The house map could be about the same size that housing offers, and each one themed specially (Connous, Physis, etc.)
    • Uladh House 3 - This house specifically mentions a loft in its description. Players could use a ladder built into the house to access it, similarly to how players can access on Eweca/Ladeca. Each other house could have a second room (a bedroom, cellar, attic, etc.) that could just be divided by walls with openings or a separate map.
  • Mansions - Mansions would be the largest houses and thus have the most space. They could also allow for a new tier of props or upgrades for props from the Houses. Because the house is bigger, some more upkeep might be necessary.

Props for the Homestead Interior
Each prop should be themed toward the region. Connous Houses get Connous Props, Uladh gets Uladh.
Interior props will have required materials unless they come from an event. They can also be packed up like other props, but have a different image (exterior props can remain a seedling image, interior props could be a small hammer)
  • Furniture such as beds, chairs, tables
  • Potted plants, posters, other decorations
  • Light fixtures such as lamps
  • Appliances such as stoves.
  • Item/Gold Storage? This is currently a feature of housing itself.

Maintenance
  • Minigame? Quest? - Maintenance tasks
    • Add some way to maintain your house, whether it's cleaning, random repairs, or other general upkeep for players to do. Having it in the form of some minigame could make the chore entertaining while a quest would offer some EXP based on the housing tier (Camps earn least, Mansions earn most). It should not use any skill so that all players can enjoy their homestead to the fullest.
    • @Danievictria suggests events that come from maintenance that can reward gold, show a cutscene, or even start some sort of battle.
  • Tiers - How well is your house doing? Performing a maintenance task (see above ideas) will give you progress toward the next tier. Once a week or so you'll randomly lose some progress toward the next tier from wear and tear or some sort of "event", but no more than 1 tier (if you are at great, the lowest you will fall is Good)
    • Great - You went above and beyond to make your house look good. Bonus to rest and maybe some other small benefits.
    • Good, Fine, etc. - You regularly maintain your home. Upgrading or placing a new camp, house, or mansion will set it to this state. No penalties would apply.
    • Poor - Minor penalties might apply, such as slight penalty to resting there (because of a draft or something) or weak mobs (rats or bats getting in)
    • Awful - You have not bothered to touch your house in a while. House can appear haunted, run down, etc. Uladh House 3 mentions ghosts in its description if not maintained. Resting can have a bigger penalty for fear the house might come down on you (even though it won't). The penalties from Poor, but little more severe.
Alternative to Maintenance: Have Nexon rewrite the descriptions of the houses to not mention maintenance in any of them.

This could exist alongside the current housing by having the housing function as it normally does, and the homestead house be an extension of the homestead. Storing items/gold, acting as a shop, and the other features would remain exclusively on current housing. The homestead house could be decorated to look pretty and maybe earn some Kon.

Feel free to add your ideas to this as well and I'll try to keep this updated. This should be something everyone can potentially enjoy, even if it's not new end game content.

PS. If this already exists somewhere, I did not look hard enough and apologize. o:)

1. Support for this?26 votes
    1. Yes, make my homestead house more than just some prop.
       92% (24 votes)
    2. Yes, but merge it with the current housing instead.
       0% (0 votes)
    3. No, this is too much for my homestead. I just want a field.
       8% (2 votes)

Comments

• SylekSylek
    Now I'm in General Chat? What's going on?
  • XiokunXiokun
    Mabinogi Rep: 11,100
    Sylek wrote: »

I think you need your IGN and Server somewhere too. :)
  • BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,425
    Isn't housing way to small for comfortable customization though, and is only really used as offline selling?

Not sure why homestead houses should have any of that. No thank you.

I do think we should be able to enter though.
  • ShoogShoog
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,535

When you edited the thread, the forum category most likely defaulted to the General section. It's happened a couple times before to other formers.

This suggestion is incomplete since you will need to add more information to your idea, I.E.: imagery of the idea, props, etc.

• SylekSylek
    edited June 1, 2017
    Isn't housing way to small for comfortable customization though, and is only really used as offline selling?

Not sure why homestead houses should have any of that. No thank you.

I do think we should be able to enter though.

Hopefully I cleared up that I intended them to be separate things. Housing gets to be an extra shop and whatnot and Homestead House is more of an aesthetic, as most of the homestead already is.
    Shoog wrote: »

When you edited the thread, the forum category most likely defaulted to the General section. It's happened a couple times before to other formers.

This suggestion is incomplete since you will need to add more information to your idea, I.E.: imagery of the idea, props, etc.

Thank you for that, I didn't notice that and hopefully I edited it to better show kinda what I'm thinking for this.
  • SylekSylek
    To whomever voted no on this, may I ask why? Maybe discussing it can make the idea better so that we can both be on board.
  • FalcondaeFalcondae
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,555
    edited June 2, 2017
    There actually was a somewhat similar thread but it got moved to the Incomplete section of the forum and should only be taken with a grain of salt since it also addresses other things (The OP was putting a bit too much on her plate at one time).

Now, I don't have a lot of time when it comes to playing, let alone do so much for just homestead maintenance, and there are times that my job demands that I be away for a week or so at a time. Your suggestion for the house maintenance thing just puts a damper at me wanting to upkeep a homestead since I mostly use it for functionality over general aesthetics. I don't mind the current maintenance of homestead since it's just deduction of homestead stones, but adding a mini-game to it isn't my cup of tea.

Besides, all this is reminding me of is the Sims/My Sims games. If I wanted to do custom housing, I'd rather play that than worry about a similar system in Mabinogi.
  • SylekSylek
    The maintenance minigame or however it runs would only affect the house there, not the full field. Thus, if you don't want to worry about maintaining your house, you can still retain the full use of the field. Making the status of the house go down as a weekly thing was a suggestion, so it could end up being longer with more of an effect to reflect it. The main reason I put it in there is actually because of the description of Uladh House 3 that mentions it. To me, it seems like something they may have intended, but scrapped.
    If you prefer the functionality over aesthetics that's still an option. My current homestead is a little bit of both. I've got a couple herb patches, spinning wheel and other life skill stuff. But also a bunch of decorations that I've earned from events. Think I have 3 or 4 of those cherry blossom trees XD.
  • DanievictriaDanievictria
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,695
    This is a cool idea. I'd love to actually be able to go inside of my little tent instead of just having it look pretty over to the side. Also, it would create even more incentive for us to upgrade our houses, as well as open up the usefulness of carpentry. There could even be tailoring patterns for things like pillows, sleeping bags, and beanbag chairs! The house upkeep thing might be a bit much for some players, though, unless it's made more of an optional thing. You know, like every day you can choose to tidy up the house, but it's not necessary to keep the place looking great. Depending on how big your house is and your homestead level, you might get a random event afterward, ranging from finding a bit of gold or a common item (like when you find money in/under the furniture in real life when you clean) to a special (totally skippable) cutscene to a rare battle against a ghost or a raccoon or something that could potentially drop a really nice piece of equipment.

I do agree that homestead housing could use an upgrade, though. If I've got to go through the trouble of gathering all of these resources to upgrade from a tent to a proper house, I'd like to be able to go inside.
  • SylekSylek
    @Danievictria
    I wasn't intending on using carpentry or other skills to make stuff, rather the same method of just gathering materials and magically combining them that exists for the exterior homestead, just so it stays consistent. The upkeep would not be daily unless you wanted to do it daily. As I stated in the OP, you'd have a sort of exp bar for the house. Doing maintenance would give the house exp toward the next level/state. Then, I suggested once a week, the house loses a random amount of exp, but no more than one level/state. If we have three levels, poor, good, and great, and your house is currently maxed at great, then the absolute lowest you would go is max good or min great. However, it is random, so it could end up being half of that, a fourth of that, etc.

I do like your idea of events that come from maintenance, and could be based on your type of house and the state of your house when you try to maintain it. For example, if you regularly keep your house in peak condition, you'll be very unlikely to find a ghost. However, if your house is practically in ruins, a ghost would be very likely. Any events that give equipment shouldn't be based on house or condition, but just be very rare and pray you're lucky enough.
  • NamiriNamiri
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,700
    Not sure why it's really necessary to overcomplicate such an idea with things like maintenance. If anything it would be nicer if maintenance was just something simple like costing some homestead stones each day as a maintenance fee.
  • SylekSylek
    Namiri wrote: »
    Not sure why it's really necessary to overcomplicate such an idea with things like maintenance. If anything it would be nicer if maintenance was just something simple like costing some homestead stones each day as a maintenance fee.

Could potentially be more fun if you have to do something or if something happens. Plus it makes it optional instead of the automatic lose x stones and would make one of the house descriptions actually meaningful.
    Alternative: rewrite that description.
  • WolfandWolfWolfandWolf
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,900
    I love the idea of being able to enter my homestead house, but I don't like the idea of upkeep; I would want my homestead house to look the same just as the rest of my homestead does without any effort. And I know a lot of people already take issue with the homestead stone costs of current props.

If the only reason for the upkeep is to justify the bonuses, I'd rather have no bonuses than to do upkeep.

It would be really cool to interact with props inside the home, like being able to lay down in a bed (but usual rest skill will apply here or usual chair rest skill bonuses that we already have in bench props). A stove does sound nice too, and maybe a sink with an old fashioned water pump! I don't think you should be able to store items or gold (that should be housing exclusive). But I would like cabinets for decoration! Just to look cool. And a fireplace! Please, we must have a fireplace!
    Danievictria
  • SylekSylek
    Since we can interact with props outside, such as Ladeca and Eweca, and the various life skill props, it would make sense to be able to interact with some inside as well. Since it seems like a many of you aren't fond of maintenance of the house, I call for a rewrite of the house descriptions. Because that's why I even thought of the idea.