Check out the patch notes for the February 18th update: https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/65163/patch-notes-february-18th-2021
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Why are monsters immune to damage/skills ?

NicheeNichee
Mabinogi Rep: 915
Posts: 62
Member
in General Chat
This game makes absolutely no sense sometimes. Why are monsters immune to damage when they're knocked down sometimes, or better yet, you can't cast skills on them when they're knocked down. I think this game is the only game that has this ridiculous mechanic. "Don't use knockdown, I'm gonna meteor strike" is something no one will ever say in a game that isn't still using 2007-combat mechanics.
  1. What do you think??25 votes
    1. I, too, find it peculiar
       32% (8 votes)
    2. I'm an abomination, and this all seems logical to me.
       68% (17 votes)

Comments

  • LeineiLeinei
    Mabinogi Rep: 15,525
    Posts: 2,363
    Member
    I've had that happened when I've fireballed before and the damage didn't connect until they hit the ground. While the targeted is still in midair, they seem to maintain a sort of invulnerability for a moment. Casting skills not working properly may be a result of either that or a sort of movement glitch that has placed them outside of your range a bit.
  • NilremNilrem
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,880
    Posts: 465
    Member
    Because if they were not, the game would be far more broken and unbalanced than it already can be.

    Imagine if enemies could still be hurt during knockdowns. Imagine the groups of 8 rotating smash on a single, helpless enemy.
    Or the literal walls of windmill. Or the rain of back to back magnums on bosses. Or connecting countless thunder spells back to back.
    At least the ability to drop 20 Meteors on a single boss back to back would not happen much.

    So to make it simple as to why knockdown immunity and other things exist: Game balance.
    GretaNamiriTwelieHiroki05Pannya
  • MaiaMaia
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,015
    Posts: 896
    Member
    They would just make more enemies spawn at once with more hp!
  • IyasenuIyasenu
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,195
    Posts: 2,887
    Member
    Nilrem wrote: »
    Imagine the groups of 8 rotating smash on a single, helpless enemy.
    Or the literal walls of windmill. Or the rain of back to back magnums on bosses. Or connecting countless thunder spells back to back.
    At least the ability to drop 20 Meteors on a single boss back to back would not happen much.

    Frozen Blast is a fun skill for stuff like this.
    Nilrem
  • TNinjaTNinja
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,045
    Posts: 1,160
    Member
    Nilrem wrote: »
    Because if they were not, the game would be far more broken and unbalanced than it already can be.

    Imagine if enemies could still be hurt during knockdowns. Imagine the groups of 8 rotating smash on a single, helpless enemy.
    Or the literal walls of windmill. Or the rain of back to back magnums on bosses. Or connecting countless thunder spells back to back.
    At least the ability to drop 20 Meteors on a single boss back to back would not happen much.

    So to make it simple as to why knockdown immunity and other things exist: Game balance.

    You have NOT entered a mission with 8 gun users doing Way of the Gun.
  • BuffalosBuffalos
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,795
    Posts: 797
    Member
    TNinja wrote: »
    You have NOT entered a mission with 8 gun users doing Way of the Gun.

    From my understanding, guns do not put monsters in a "true" knockdown state. Thus, they can be attacked over and over again in way of the gun.
    Nilrem
  • KouyioueKouyioue
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,555
    Posts: 395
    Member
    I wish monsters actually regenerated FAST ENOUGH for injury to actually do something. That would be so fun ! ! !
    AlmostNotsuper
  • IyasenuIyasenu
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,195
    Posts: 2,887
    Member
    Kouyioue wrote: »
    I wish monsters actually regenerated FAST ENOUGH for injury to actually do something. That would be so fun ! ! !

    Well the boss of Memento has fast regeneration.

    Though Magic and Alchemy don't inflict wounds, so if that's your fighting style, that might be a bit annoying.
  • RheyRhey
    Mabinogi Rep: 10,030
    Posts: 1,497
    Member
    edited June 7, 2017
    It goes both ways so...I don't mind. Multi-aggro is a thing and I'm grateful 4 those breathing rooms to let me prepare a counter. Especially when soloing Meta-game contents.
  • TNinjaTNinja
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,045
    Posts: 1,160
    Member
    Kouyioue wrote: »
    I wish monsters actually regenerated FAST ENOUGH for injury to actually do something. That would be so fun ! ! !

    Glas Gabhleinn invites you.
  • KouyioueKouyioue
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,555
    Posts: 395
    Member
    Sure. Because one-off monsters have sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much replayability.
  • TNinjaTNinja
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,045
    Posts: 1,160
    Member
    Kouyioue wrote: »
    Sure. Because one-off monsters have sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much replayability.

    We need him back
  • BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,050
    Posts: 2,762
    Member
    Just as Convenience>Realism, so does Balance>Realism.

    The appearance of realism isn't that important guys.
    ChaosShadowPolicroma