Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!
Closed

Do the majority of mabi players use mods?

Comments

• KazukixdKazukixd
    Mabinogi Rep: 685
    Ellisya wrote: »
    JoeyDee9 wrote: »
    //JUST GIVE ME BETTER FONTS!//

I honestly don't get why font affects latency. Am I the only one who doesn't get lagged much by the font?
    Is this because I live in CA? I don't have a nice pc performance though.

Yes it is because you live in CA, you have low latency when playing Mabinogi, less time for packets to be sent. Which leads to less delay for the server to receive your command.
  • LiberateLiberate
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,360
    Ellisya wrote: »

I honestly don't get why font affects latency. Am I the only one who doesn't get lagged much by the font?
    Is this because I live in CA? I don't have a nice pc performance though.

Font has nothing to do with latency, it deals with the optimization of what the game client can handle. Mabinogi was originally optimized and built with bitmap fonts, but for the longest time NA was unique with a change of font and shadows behind font, which by the end of the day caused more issues than solved. Nexon's initial thought is that bitmap is hard to read in English, which is somewhat true with higher resolution monitors, so they added effects to help text become more legible. What they probably didn't expect was the change in font itself, with added effects, would cause major client instability. There was a time where opening up the stat menu next to a firepit would freeze the client, same goes with opening the chat log. In recent years all versions of Mabinogi have this new updated font though, which isn't as bad compared to past font changes, but mechanically, Mabinogi works best with bitmap. But of course with a decent processing PC that can sustain itself well with one core, you won't notice much, but there is a difference between the original font with the revamped fonts.
    RaishiiPolicroma
  • JoeyDee9JoeyDee9
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,065
    Member, Volunteer Forum Moderator
    Aeolys wrote: »
    I honestly wasn't going to reply to this thread and instead just read it as it progressed. But I digress, the reason people defend things even if they are against the rules is for change. If we simply lived by the rules the last 1000 years human history would have looked completely different. In some situations it's important to be vocal about what's is and isn't true, to spread information instead of lies or mutated truths. The fact of the matter is, to the people that are currently modding, a few simple game changes could get them to stop. The developers should look at the Quality of Life (QoL) mods and incorporate more of them into the game. We've gotten some mods as features but the game could use more.

There are many things that mods get right that the developers should take into account. Bitmap fonts reduce a good 50-90% of the games lag as vectorized fonts just aren't suitable for a game like mabi. Commas in shop prices are a feature that should have been included eons ago. I'd kill to have Nexon NA change the font in this game, but even though I've had like 3 threads about it, videos about it, and more it hasn't been done. That this is something exclusive to Mabi NA as other servers don't have this issue.

As a final closer to this post, the idea of "It's against the rules and thus is wrong" really bothers me. People need to think for themselves, to have their own moral code. Do I mod? No, I don't want to get banned. The thing is, I do I have my own opinions on the matter other than "it's wrong" Of course. I want to see this game do well and when a vast majority of the high end community uses mods...something is up.

*Points at the Feedback and Suggestions section* Here, I'll give you a link.

You're defending mods. Its illegal. End. Of. Story.

I did, I had a thread on the old forums with videos, evidence, ways to fix it, and more. Got lots of support to. That's was a few years ago. This is a client issue mods currently fix. My PC can handle the vector fonts, but it still isn't as snappy as bitmap would me.

The only font issue that was ever fixed was enhancement effects. They used to lag so hard and I had trouble using automatic guns since overtime I switch to them I had a lag spike from the text appearing on screen. They did change that though...
    Raishii
This discussion has been closed.