Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!
Closed

I'm guessing Nexon does not care about botters

Comments

• MizumoMizumo
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,120
    Oh right. I forgot where I was posting... Nothing has changed I see.
  • KroeneKroene
    Mabinogi Rep: 890
    Mizumo
    Mizumo said:

Mabinogi is having a big problem with people count as it is. When there are no people (even those who use bots now and then) it does not attract people (the reason I have left). And skill training pots is the least of the profits they get. The main income is gatcha, sales of cosmetic items and pets, and "shopkeeper sales". If they would be having cheats that would allow them to get all the goods for free, then yes, I see why it should be their priority, but having a bot does not harm them since they will invest either way, but for other different things.

I have never purchased a single thing for skills, because it is a waste of NX; should I be banned now?
    Training potions and tradeable skill training seals are valuable commodities obtained primarily from the Cash Shop. Tradeable skill training seals can go for well over 1mil on Mari. Ninja training potions are >500K, and this price would easily double if Nexon clamped down on botters.

Botters deflate the value of these items by lowering the demand for them. So Nexon is losing out on potential money because of these botters.

You say that using a hack to obtain goods for free is a serious matter. Botting is essentially the same thing. Let me explain.
    For legit players, leveling a skill requires an investment: time/effort or a training potion (money). Botters bypass this investment and obtain a higher rank for free.
    From a fair play standpoint, there is no difference between this and:
    - collecting gold from a bunch of gold-farming bots, then using that money to buy a training potion
    - using a hack to generate a training potion in the player's inventory
    In either scenario, the player uses an illegal tool to obtain something (time or money) that he/she didn't work for.
    Greta
  • ReintsReints
    Mabinogi Rep: 400
    edited December 22, 2016
    Kroene
    Kroene said:

Mizumo
    Mizumo said:

Mabinogi is having a big problem with people count as it is. When there are no people (even those who use bots now and then) it does not attract people (the reason I have left). And skill training pots is the least of the profits they get. The main income is gatcha, sales of cosmetic items and pets, and "shopkeeper sales". If they would be having cheats that would allow them to get all the goods for free, then yes, I see why it should be their priority, but having a bot does not harm them since they will invest either way, but for other different things.

I have never purchased a single thing for skills, because it is a waste of NX; should I be banned now?
    Training potions and tradeable skill training seals are valuable commodities obtained primarily from the Cash Shop. Tradeable skill training seals can go for well over 1mil on Mari. Ninja training potions are >500K, and this price would easily double if Nexon clamped down on botters.

Botters deflate the value of these items by lowering the demand for them. So Nexon is losing out on potential money because of these botters.

You say that using a hack to obtain goods for free is a serious matter. Botting is essentially the same thing. Let me explain.
    For legit players, leveling a skill requires an investment: time/effort or a training potion (money). Botters bypass this investment and obtain a higher rank for free.
    - collecting gold from a bunch of gold-farming bots, then using that money to buy a training potion
    In either scenario, the player uses an illegal tool to obtain something (time or money) that he/she didn't work for.
    The players that choose to cheat for their skill training instead of using training potions can't really affect the prices of said potions if they never possessed the intent to actually buy the potion. It makes them the same as someone who chooses to train whatever skill normally, in that sense.

The potions are just there as a somewhat desirable good--not a necessity--so people will absolutely skip over one if they think it's overpriced.
    It's entirely possible to train without them, just as it's possible that it'd be cheaper to use them than to actually train the skill outright.

Rather than spending the money they 'saved' from not buying into something sometimes scammy, both the cheaters and the fairly playing users just spend it in some other portion of the market.
    The money probably still goes to Nexon, but instead for player-based trades like reforges, protective stuff, or fashion stuff.

And that second thing, is just awful.
    Even if you hate the idea of others not having to do the same amount of work as the rest of us, it's still not okay to just demonize them.

As much time is still spent by someone cheating versus someone training fairly; as much effort is not. The PC's still on for whoever's doing whatever, and the commands are still being sent at regular intervals. The smarter cheaters do their cheating out of sight, and regularly check back on whatever they're doing to make sure that they're doing that thing successfully. Or to keep track of their surroundings, because people like you might show up and start harassing them.

Just, the player's probably alt-tabbed or something similar as they watch random shows or something, worrying less than normal about their life choices.

..This is still comparable to normal training, for a lot of people, as there's a thread up right now about what others do while training skills.

As for the gold bot thing.. I'm pretty sure those don't exist anymore. Spam bots aren't the same thing as that; the gold was probably obtained through more legitimate means or just from some other nasty thing from a long while ago.
    Lately, the issue's been people multi-boxing so that they get 4x or 8x the amount of gold they normally would per run of a given shadow mission.

I wondering at this point, though: are you just making a big stink out of things because no one's willing to buy your overpriced skill potions?
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    edited December 22, 2016
    Reints
    Reints said:

Kroene
    Kroene said:

Mizumo
    Mizumo said:

The players that choose to cheat for their skill training instead of using training potions can't really affect the prices of said potions if they never possessed the intent to actually buy the potion. It makes them the same as someone who chooses to train whatever skill normally, in that sense.

The potions are just there as a somewhat desirable good--not a necessity--so people will absolutely skip over one if they think it's overpriced.
    It's entirely possible to train without them, just as it's possible that it'd be cheaper to use them than to actually train the skill outright.

Rather than spending the money they 'saved' from not buying into something sometimes scammy, both the cheaters and the fairly playing users just spend it in some other portion of the market.
    The money probably still goes to Nexon, but instead for player-based trades like reforges, protective stuff, or fashion stuff.

Even if you hate the idea of others not having to do the same amount of work as the rest of us, it's still not okay to just demonize them.

As much time is still spent by someone cheating versus someone training fairly; as much effort is not. The PC's still on for whoever's doing whatever, and the commands are still being sent at regular intervals. The smarter cheaters do their cheating out of sight, and regularly check back on whatever they're doing to make sure that they're doing that thing successfully. Or to keep track of their surroundings, because people like you might show up and start harassing them.

Just, the player's probably alt-tabbed or something similar as they watch random shows or something, worrying less than normal about their life choices.

..This is still comparable to normal training, for a lot of people, as there's a thread up right now about what others do while training skills.

As for the gold bot thing.. I'm pretty sure those don't exist anymore. Spam bots aren't the same thing as that; the gold was probably obtained through more legitimate means or just from some other nasty thing from a long while ago.
    Lately, the issue's been people multi-boxing so that they get 4x or 8x the amount of gold they normally would per run of a given shadow mission.

I wondering at this point, though: are you just making a big stink out of things because no one's willing to buy your overpriced skill potions?
    Oh wait.. So now people who do illegal stuff, getting caught red handed and are about being reported by other guy is called harassing now? I didn't know, my bad.
    KroeneNekoLilyHelsa
  • KelpSodaKelpSoda
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,145
    Reints
    Reints said:

Kroene
    Kroene said:

Mizumo
    Mizumo said:

dude no, the only difference between a training pot and a skill leveling bot is one of them gives (a negligible amount of) money to nexon, clearly comparable to pake and the like, dont defend cheaters
  • VivianVivian
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,030
    edited December 22, 2016
    I honestly find botting for skill training is a lesser offense. There are auto-skill training options everywhere (skill pots, auto-fishing, brioniac use, skill point medals, etc), and most of the time botters are training skills that do not have skill training pots, or other options are ridiculously over priced.

Most skills require repetitive use over the thousands now-a-days, and training skills are no longer enjoyable for most of the veteran skilled based. Most people have skill sets that easily wipe a map, and their cp is too high to simply "just spam higher dungeons" so they use -cp gear; which usually means they don't need to waste as much durability if they just use -Removed- gear to pick off small mobs. All of which is not enjoyable gameplay at all. It's no wonder people resort to things like botting when other options are a waste of time/money.

Most people want to spend their time on better things and unfortunately, continuously spamming crisis escape on a group of foxes is one of the most dull form of gameplay imaginable. Why would they want to play that? Why wouldn't I just play a more interactive game to play? Botting actually keeps players logged into the game and then they can use newly trained skills for actual content for their skill level.
  • KroeneKroene
    Reints
    Reints said:

Botters don't buy training potions because they can just use a bot to afk train the skills. If Nexon clamps down on botting, their options become limited to
    (1) train the skill
    (2) don't train the skill
    (3) buy a training potion
    With bots out of the question, it becomes much more likely that the player will resort to option 3.

Your argument comparing botting to normal training is just completely illogical. When it comes to training, time and effort are not separate entities. If you leave a bot on and go to sleep for 8 hours, you did not invest those 8 hours of your life playing Mabinogi. You were not the one loading skills and switching targets. You spent those 8 hours resting in your bed while the bot did the work for you.
  • KouyioueKouyioue
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,030
    edited December 22, 2016
    Bystanderism shall be called bystanderism.

Nothing gets done because nobody does anything. Not to fix the game. Not for the game. Not in the game.
  • VivianVivian
    edited December 22, 2016
    Kroene
    Kroene said:

Botters don't buy training potions because they can just use a bot to afk train the skills. If Nexon clamps down on botting, their options become limited to
    (1) train the skill
    (2) don't train the skill
    (3) buy a training potion
    With bots out of the question, it becomes much more likely that the player will resort to option 3.

Your argument comparing botting to normal training is just completely illogical. When it comes to training, time and effort are not separate entities. If you leave a bot on and go to sleep for 8 hours, you did not invest those 8 hours of your life playing Mabinogi. You were not the one loading skills and switching targets. You spent those 8 hours resting in your bed while the bot did the work for you.
    Not all skills can be botted. Not all skills have available training pots. Most skills require a 2x training event + 2x talent + an extra potion boost to even dent higher ranked skills in a reasonable time frame.

There are some skills that can legitimately "botted" or auto trained. Almost all music training can be done afk with a scroll in hand legitimately, fishing, and other life skills can be afked to train points like handicrafting paper cranes.

The way the skill training map is put out is awful for most players. This type of skill training is terrible for the veteran players who have played this game for years, it's boring tedious and unfun. I myself have never botted, but I can't even bring myself to train anymore either. A majority of my skills are passable for pretty much all content, so there no point in trying to force myself to train things I'll never use.

Botting is one of those things that hardly even hurt the rest of the player base. If they didn't want to pay for your training pot, they would've found another way to train or simply stopped training.
  • KroeneKroene
    edited December 22, 2016
    Vivian
    Vivian said:

I honestly find botting for skill training is a lesser offense. There are auto-skill training options everywhere (skill pots, auto-fishing, brioniac use, skill point medals, etc), and most of the time botters are training skills that do not have skill training pots, or other options are ridiculously over priced.

Most skills require repetitive use over the thousands now-a-days, and training skills are no longer enjoyable for most of the veteran skilled based. Most people have skill sets that easily wipe a map, and their cp is too high to simply "just spam higher dungeons" so they use -cp gear; which usually means they don't need to waste as much durability if they just use -Removed- gear to pick off small mobs. All of which is not enjoyable gameplay at all. It's no wonder people resort to things like botting when other options are a waste of time/money.

Most people want to spend their time on better things and unfortunately, continuously spamming crisis escape on a group of foxes is one of the most dull form of gameplay imaginable. Why would they want to play that? Why wouldn't I just play a more interactive game to play? Botting actually keeps players logged into the game and then they can use newly trained skills for actual content for their skill level.
    The fact that there are so many auto-skill training options in-game just makes botting all the more worse. Nexon has been consistently implementing elements into the game in order to make it less grindy (2x Talent bonus, training potions and seals, perfect reset capsules). But in spite of all this help, people bot.

These skills with repetitive skill training requirements were tailored for high CP players. Instead of having the training requirements become increasingly difficult with increasing CP, Nexon designed them so that all players have to put in the same level of effort. The downside to this is the skills aren't beginner friendly because the payoff is not nearly the same as Close Combat and other CP-dependent skills.

Whether or not the gameplay is enjoyable does not justify the use of a bot. Botting for an easy skill like Smash is just as bad of an offense as botting for Shadow Cloak. A bot is a bot. Not to mention enjoyment is highly subjective.
  • VivianVivian
    edited December 22, 2016
    Kroene
    Kroene said:

The fact that there are so many auto-skill training options in-game just makes botting all the more worse. Nexon has been consistently implementing elements into the game in order to make it less grindy (2x Talent bonus, training potions and seals, perfect reset capsules). But in spite of all this help, people bot.

These skills with repetitive skill training requirements were tailored for high CP players. Instead of having the training requirements become increasingly difficult with increasing CP, Nexon designed them so that all players have to put in the same level of effort. The downside to this is the skills aren't beginner friendly because the payoff is not nearly the same as Close Combat and other CP-dependent skills.

Whether or not the gameplay is enjoyable does not justify the use of a bot. Botting for an easy skill like Smash is just as bad of an offense as botting for Shadow Cloak. A bot is a bot. Not to mention enjoyment is highly subjective.
    There is hardly a difference between auto-skill training and botting. They both come with the same outcome of endless grinding. These people can get the seals and bot at night. They just use the seals on things that can't be botted. The adventure shop seals are terribly slow to use as well and aren't an effective form of skill-leveling unless you are ranking something like enchant. Most seals are part of the cash shop; which is inherently pay2win. A lot players do not have the luxury to pay for pots or skill seals.

In a sense people purposely don't rank skills UNLESS there is a 2x event. Why would they purposely spent more time then they need to if a 2x event is around the corner? Skill training should not be the only aspect of the game, and spending endless hours for something as tedious as training on foxes is just not possible for a lot of people.

I think personally think enjoyment is important in gameplay. If these players are resorting to bots to enhance these skills, it means they do not enjoy the training aspect of the game, but they continue because of other contributing factors.
  • KroeneKroene
    Vivian
    Vivian said:

There is hardly a difference between auto-skill training and botting. They both come with the same outcome of endless grinding. These people can get the seals and bot at night. They just use the seals on things that can't be botted. The adventure shop seals are terribly slow to use as well and aren't an effective form of skill-leveling unless you are ranking something like enchant. Most seals are part of the cash shop; which is inherently pay2win. A lot players do not have the luxury to pay for pots or skill seals.

In a sense people purposely don't rank skills UNLESS there is a 2x event. Why would they purposely spent more time then they need to if a 2x event is around the corner? Skill training should not be the only aspect of the game, and spending endless hours is just not possible for most people.

I think personally think enjoyment is important in gameplay. If these players are resorting to bots to enhance these skills, it means they do not enjoy the training aspect of the game, but they continue because of other contributing factors.
    There is a huge difference between auto-skill training and botting. Auto-skill training is an actual part of the game, intentionally implemented by Nexon. Botting is the use of an illegal program/macro to train a skill in a way that Nexon does not want you to.

Grinding has been a staple in almost every MMORPG to date. If you don't want to grind, you should stick to games like CS:GO or Overwatch where the only downtime is in waiting lobbies. All of this negativity about grinding is out of place when its a major component of the genre.

And it's not even necessary to bot these skills. There are plenty of things you can do in Mabinogi without R1 Shadow Cloak. These players just want to obtain high ranks without working for them, to the point where they would use illegal tools to do so. Why you guys are trying to justify this is beyond me.
    NekoLily
  • VivianVivian
    edited December 22, 2016
    Kroene
    Kroene said:

There is a huge difference between auto-skill training and botting. Auto-skill training is an actual part of the game, intentionally implemented by Nexon. Botting is the use of an illegal program/macro to train a skill in a way that Nexon does not want you to.

Grinding has been a staple in almost every MMORPG to date. If you don't want to grind, you should stick to games like CS:GO or Overwatch where the only downtime is in waiting lobbies. All of this negativity about grinding is out of place when its a major component of the genre.

And it's not even necessary to bot these skills. There are plenty of things you can do in Mabinogi without R1 Shadow Cloak. These players just want to obtain high ranks without working for them, to the point where they would use illegal tools to do so. Why you guys are trying to justify this is beyond me.
    Like I said, this type of botting is a lesser offense. It's mostly just a macro that players use or whatever.

Yet MMOs like overwatch, CS:GO, LOL are thriving. I don't know about your server but if you look at the player base, hardly anyone is training.The training is simply not fun and the enjoyment of this game comes from the community. You have to admit most content is passable with regular combat mastery and a few pets. I myself finished a majority of content with a brand new giant with a minimal amount of skills ranked.

Everyone is buying, selling, running sms they've run a million times before, or just chatting up friends. You yourself don't even think it's necessary to have higher rank skills; like r1 shadow cloak, so what harm is being done by someone who just wants it enough to bot for it? Like they just want the skill and then they can go on and do something else in the game.
  • GretaGreta
    edited December 22, 2016
    I wish Nexon would care about botters more. My boyfriend used to play Runescape and there are hundreds of botters, and they do huge impact in that game. They can get all loot, gear and exp for doing nothing at all, in a week or so. You get banned for botting as soon as possible when admins find out. I know that, because my boyfriend tried to bot there and he did lose like 3 accounts since he got caught. It's funny how Mabinogi players here defend botters, that makes me disgusted so bad... Never seen such thing in any other game community.
    NekoLilyHelsa
  • VivianVivian
    edited December 22, 2016
    Greta
    Greta said:

I wish Nexon would care about botters more. My boyfriend used to play Runescape and there are hundreds of botters, and they do huge impact in that game. They can get all loot, gear and exp for doing nothing at all, in a week or so. You get banned for botting as soon as possible when admins find out. I know that, because my boyfriend tried to bot there and he did lose like 3 accounts or such since he got caught. It's funny how Mabinogi players here defend botters, that makes me disgusted so bad... Never seen such thing in any other game community.
    Except in this game, you can't really bot for gold or gear, and exp is a joke. Just skills o/
  • GretaGreta
    edited December 22, 2016
    Vivian
    Vivian said:

Greta
    Greta said:

I wish Nexon would care about botters more. My boyfriend used to play Runescape and there are hundreds of botters, and they do huge impact in that game. They can get all loot, gear and exp for doing nothing at all, in a week or so. You get banned for botting as soon as possible when admins find out. I know that, because my boyfriend tried to bot there and he did lose like 3 accounts or such since he got caught. It's funny how Mabinogi players here defend botters, that makes me disgusted so bad... Never seen such thing in any other game community.
    Except in this game, you can't bot for gold or gear, and exp is a joke. Just skills o/.
    Are you sure there are no gold botters? Who knows... Everyone just claim that game is "dead", it's a nice opportunity for botters to do their dirty work in such games that are not crowded at all.

Helsa
  • KouyioueKouyioue
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,030
    edited December 22, 2016
    Those are exempt from mmo jurisdiction
    They're list-based shooters. Like HaloPC from 2003. Not MMOs and not mobas.

In fact the term moba shouldn't even exist because it tramples over the original definitions of many gametypes while not standing out as its own category. They're just multiplayer RTSs and multiplayer hack n slashes basically. No other specifics are there to engenre then any differently.

To prove a point: Command and conquer is an RTS. Halo PC is an 8 on 8 shooter. Overwatch is an 8 on 8 shooter. Not mobas. Silly baseless millennial philosophy trying to call 100% of videogames 'role playing games' by ignoring context and loophole abuse xD
  • VivianVivian
    edited December 22, 2016
    Greta
    Greta said:

Are you sure there are no gold botters? Who knows... Everyone just claim that game is "dead", it's a nice opportunity for botters to do their dirty work in such games that are not crowded at all.
    Actually I'm probably wrong the gold botting front lol. That should probably be stopped.
  • ShouKShouK
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,735
    ...and here I thought botting is normal because back when I frequently asked for advices on training ninja I kept getting the same dang response - use macros -.-
  • MizumieMizumie
    Mabinogi Rep: 825
    Vivian
    Vivian said:

Greta
    Greta said:

Except in this game, you can't really bot for gold or gear, and exp is a joke. Just skills o/
    You can bot for gold and gear.
    KR players used to do it for VHM raids, when it gave 50k/run, which took about 40 seconds or less.

Personally I'm not a fan of botters. They're a big reason that I left a lot of other games, like Tree of Savior, Flyff, and LaTale. Its not much fun to work for thing while others are just AFK, farming for whatever they're there for. I don't see a point in playing a game where players can just get whatever they want without doing anything for it, which is exactly what botting allows.

Mabi doesn't seem to be as plagued by them as the other games I mentioned, but its still annoying to see them.
    Greta
This discussion has been closed.