Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Repeat Play only on Homesteads

HelsaHelsa
Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
edited August 18, 2018 in Feedback and Suggestions
Thanks to repeat play, I now have Instrument Volume set to zero all the time, because there is always a griefer in Dunby Square making an AFK racket. Sure I could just blacklist them while I'm there, but really should I have to? The point of repeat play was to allow folks to rank their music skill without the monotonous re-hitting of the button all the time. That in of it's self was a good idea but I suspect the griefing consequence was unforeseen. Wouldn't allowing the repeat play to only work on a homestead still allow one to do their training? I realize making it work this way won't end the griefing, but it will make not only make it more work for them they will have to remain actively at their keyboard the entire time. Music is virtually dead in Mabinogi now. One can't say for sure that this is at least part of the reason but at the same time one could say so.

What say you? Would making repeat play only work on homesteads make Mabinogi better, or worse?
  1. Should Repeat Play Instrument only work on homesteads?17 votes
    1. Yes, the griefers in Dunby Square have killed music in Mabinogi for me
       65% (11 votes)
    2. No, without griefing my life is empty and meaningless
       35% (6 votes)

Comments

• AlexLightAlexLight
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,100
    Or you can just set performance options (on sound tab in the options window) to party only to only hear party members playing
    Leinei
  • HelsaHelsa
    AlexLight wrote: »
    Or you can just set performance options (on sound tab in the options window) to party only to only hear party members playing

But if you are there to listen to other people and so aren't in the party or if you're just there for whatever reason and would prefer not to have the racket then you can't do that. Would making repeat play on homesteads alone really "break" the game?
  • FayeKaibaFayeKaiba
    Mabinogi Rep: 10,670
    It's not griefing at all. They are not doing it to intentionally harm others or ruin the gameplay. You really need to change your poll options because they are very bais to your own Views. Your No option should be a simple no. Not " No, without griefing my life is empty and meaningless" You are making it sound like anyone who votes no is griefing.
  • AlexLightAlexLight
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,100
    No it would not break the game and may even not be such a bad idea (though i say you it should be hs and avalon gate only not just hs)
    but if someone is playing on repeat and you wanna listen to someone else there not in party there would be over play anyway. Though if you could only play on repeat in hs and avalon gate then only ppl who realy wanna play would do it outside hs so that probaly woulden't cause much trouble
  • HelsaHelsa
    AlexLight wrote: »
    No it would not break the game and may even not be such a bad idea (though i say you it should be hs and avalon gate only not just hs)
    but if someone is playing on repeat and you wanna listen to someone else there not in party there would be over play anyway. Though if you could only play on repeat in hs and avalon gate then only ppl who realy wanna play would do it outside hs so that probaly woulden't cause much trouble

I'm not familiar enough with Avalon Gate, what would make it special?

As to your scenario, indeed that would be the case, and it was the case even before repeat play came in. But before it did the griefers would get bored and move on because they had to actively keep it up. You can't stop griefers of course but this would make it more work for them. Right now they can park their character push play and go watch TV, use the toidy, whatever.
    FayeKaiba wrote: »
    It's not griefing at all. They are not doing it to intentionally harm others or ruin the gameplay. You really need to change your poll options because they are very bais to your own Views. Your No option should be a simple no. Not " No, without griefing my life is empty and meaningless" You are making it sound like anyone who votes no is griefing.

It's possible that some new people are doing it because they figure since they've seen others doing so it must be okay, but that in of itself is telling. But there are folks doing it to intentionally harm others or ruin the gameplay and it only takes one to ruin things. The poll comments do show my feelings about this as did the initial post starting this thread. Perhaps some good reasons as to why this shouldn't be done could be suggested. Something other than:
    - there's no good reason to do this,
    - I just don't like it,
    - it's limiting my freedoms.
    Give me a reason where I can think; "You know, I never thought of that; that's a really good reason to keep things as they are; never mind then."

Leinei
  • FluoretteFluorette
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,840
    I think you mean "Repeat" (title). Repat Play sounds like a company or something. :(

AlexLight mentioned Avalon Gate because only the character you're playing as will show up there. It's like a scenario-restricted area in that sense (think like Nemeton from The Saga: Iria II or the Sanctum in Generation 21).
  • NysephirNysephir
    Mabinogi Rep: 860
    Maybe have an option to right-click the player and mute/unmute their playing?
    KensamaofmariJazmyn
  • HelsaHelsa
    Fluorette wrote: »
    I think you mean "Repeat" (title). Repat Play sounds like a company or something. :(

AlexLight mentioned Avalon Gate because only the character you're playing as will show up there. It's like a scenario-restricted area in that sense (think like Nemeton from The Saga: Iria II or the Sanctum in Generation 21).

Done and Done!

I suppose that by this description of Avalon Gate that it would be okay too.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Nysephir wrote: »
    Maybe have an option to right-click the player and mute/unmute their playing?

Sorry for the double post, I just noticed this one.

In a sense this already does exist, you can right-click and blacklist them. After you leave you can then un-blacklist them by deleting their name. This keeps you from filling up your list. In the case of a seriously determined griefer one would have no choice but to do exactly this. The homestead only option would not be able to address such cases but in the long run if you make griefing "too much work" then it will diminish. As it stands now, it requires no effort to grief.
  • NysephirNysephir
    Mabinogi Rep: 860
    Helsa wrote: »
    In a sense this already does exist, you can right-click and blacklist them. After you leave you can then un-blacklist them by deleting their name. This keeps you from filling up your list. In the case of a seriously determined griefer one would have no choice but to do exactly this. The homestead only option would not be able to address such cases but in the long run if you make griefing "too much work" then it will diminish. As it stands now, it requires no effort to grief.

Now that you mentioned it yeah that would be too similar to blacklisting. I honestly can't think of a way to do that without limiting where you can repeat instrument playing.

The only thing I can think of would be to have it not play any sound by default without a music scroll similar to using blank scrolls, that way you could tell if people are just training or are actually taking the effort of getting a music scroll to grief. But that in and of itself won't really change anything and it's not like music scrolls are hard to get.

• KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    edited August 17, 2018
    It's why I play music in an isolated part of town, like on the walls or in some shady corner that no one goes to.
    Fluorette
  • OpalthiraOpalthira
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,595
    You cannot summon pets in Homesteads.
    This being the biggest offender for the Tuan pet.
    Which gives 2x music skill training.
    While it may only last for an hour or two the person could have gone afk and not know it ran out of summon time.
  • HelsaHelsa
    edited August 22, 2018
    Opalthira wrote: »
    While it may only last for an hour or two the person could have gone afk and not know it ran out of summon time.

See, now that is a good reason to think about why to not do this! However, if repeat play is made for homestead only then this issue could be addressed by toggling the Tuan's data field to allow it to be summon-able on a homestead from FALSE to TRUE; easy peasy. Good point though, thanks for bringing it up! BTW were you ever in the Apollo or Symphony guilds on Alexina?
    If partners can be summoned in HS, pets should too.
    Playing instrument training includes playing music for crops so I don't see why AFK play music in HS is not an option.
    Bronzebreak
  • THICCthighssavelivesTHICCthighssavelives
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,855
    How about no repeat play in towns, 5x repeat play outside of towns, and unlimited repeat play in instanced areas (homestead, dungeons, baltane)?
    How about no repeat play in towns, 5x repeat play outside of towns, and unlimited repeat play in instanced areas (homestead, dungeons, baltane)?

Outside towns as in outside the town map?
    Such as not Dunbarton, but Dugald.
  • THICCthighssavelivesTHICCthighssavelives
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,855
    @Kensamaofmari Yeah, pretty much. (I personally don't mind unlimited play everywhere)
    Kensamaofmari
  • OpalthiraOpalthira

See, now that is a good reason to think about why to not do this! However, if repeat play is made for homestead only then this issue could be addressed by toggling the Tuan's data field to allow it to be summon-able on a homestead from FALSE to TRUE; easy peasy. Good point though, thanks for bringing it up! BTW were you ever in the Apollo or Symphony guilds on Alexina?

I've never been in a guild must have been my clone called like "Opalthra" or something around there.
    It's not mine in any way lol.
  • HelsaHelsa
    I've never been in a guild must have been my clone called like "Opalthra" or something around there.
    It's not mine in any way lol.

It's not that. I've seen a few of your posts and you seem to be involved in barding on Alexina more than most; the homestead concerts that you host for example. Those guilds were two large Alexina barding guilds in barding's heyday on Alexina but your name is only familiar to me via these forums. Have you, say, ever been to any homestead concerts hosted by tihana678?

• OpalthiraOpalthira
    It's not that. I've seen a few of your posts and you seem to be involved in barding on Alexina more than most; the homestead concerts that you host for example. Those guilds were two large Alexina barding guilds in barding's heyday on Alexina but your name is only familiar to me via these forums. Have you, say, ever been to any homestead concerts hosted by tihana678?

No have not.
    I wasn't aware of anyone else hosting concerts on Alexina.