Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Defeating the Ulgarms...

Comments

• PolicromaPolicroma
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,730

I don't wanna hear about my computer or my internet connection. My computer is 8 years old. (I do make a point of taking care of it...) My internet is ordinary cable. I also hang out with a lot of australian players, and not one has complained.
    Kensamaofmari
  • NaxosNaxos
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,405
    Policroma wrote: »

I don't wanna hear about my computer or my internet connection. My computer is 8 years old. (I do make a point of taking care of it...) My internet is ordinary cable. I also hang out with a lot of australian players, and not one has complained.

Seeing it like that, it's quite clear I lag too much to perform it, so I'll stick to my method, but it's nice to know it was technically done properly
  • PolicromaPolicroma
    Naxos wrote: »
    Seeing it like that, it's quite clear I lag too much to perform it, so I'll stick to my method, but it's nice to know it was technically done properly

Honestly I think your way is more challenging, but it could work if done right. And you do take into account that Subaru can take some hits, so kudos for that.

The funny thing is I had to receive the control-click advice about a Baltane mission from a guy in Australia. I was skilling all over the place and losing, and it was using a shuriken and control clicking that won. I just think sometimes we players are looking for that OP strategy when there really is none.
  • TNinjaTNinja
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,265
    edited August 17, 2018

You're not immune to internet comment. You have functioning net, compared to some of us, especially those in Europe.
    Computer doesn't really do that much for Mabinogi. It's mostly about connections. And the devs' way of optimizing.

I can't hit as fast as you do.

Though, Korean players hits mych faster than you do as well.
    KensamaofmariRadiant Dawnhappyx2055
  • NaxosNaxos
    Naxos wrote: »
    The funny thing is I had to receive the control-click advice about a Baltane mission from a guy in Australia. I was skilling all over the place and losing, and it was using a shuriken and control clicking that won. I just think sometimes we players are looking for that OP strategy when there really is none.

I'm guilty of the opposite xD I'm old school, which means I not only use the old combat combo of Smash Counter Windmill Defense, but I also use Normal attacks way more often than I use my skills (atleast where melee, Ninja, and Chain blade are concerned). On the flipside, I only do that when I play with team mates, as my latency simply doesn't let me manage with normal hits in a multi aggro situation. So I use skills if I solo to avoid dealing with delays in command to movement, and I use normal attacks when I can relax with a team to back me up in case things get dicey.
    Kensamaofmari
  • PolicromaPolicroma
    TNinja wrote: »

You're not immune to internet comment. You have functioning net, compared to some of us, especially those in Europe.
    Computer doesn't really do that much for Mabinogi. It's mostly about connections. And the devs' way of optimizing.

So then, may I ask how my Australian friends are doing it without so much as an irritated remark?

It's also worth noting: I don't know about your specific situation, but a lot of people blame "lag" when there's actually issues with graphics. If you get stuttering, no internet connection will fix that. Mabi does *NOT* need a workhorse machine to run (even with vector text), but you do need to make sure your machine isn't getting bogged down by unnecessary processes, malware, or whatnot.
  • TNinjaTNinja
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,265

So then, may I ask how my Australian friends are doing it without so much as an irritated remark?

It's also worth noting: I don't know about your specific situation, but a lot of people blame "lag" when there's actually issues with graphics. If you get stuttering, no internet connection will fix that. Mabi does *NOT* need a workhorse machine to run (even with vector text), but you do need to make sure your machine isn't getting bogged down by unnecessary processes, malware, or whatnot.

Pray tell me how your AMERICAN friends right here can't do it properly.

You're probbaly one of those jokers who goes around saying "It works for me so it can't be an issue". Your types are probably the reason the game industry is filled with terirbly optimized games.
    Like Monster Hunter.
  • ShouKShouK
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,735
    edited August 17, 2018

I am gonna say it anyway. Must be nice having that godly connection.

And you mentioned Baltane mission. My Australian friend can’t clear round table with normal attacks because he can’t executed the attack fast enough before the wolves attacked the barrier.
  • NaxosNaxos

I know it doesn't take a beast computer to run the game, if anything it runs better on older computers in some cases, due an engine limitation. The truth of the matter is, my ISP is Great for anything that runs inside Europe, and it manage okay oversea if the server and networking is optimized. Unfortunately, Mabi is not optimized, and not only is the server oversea, it's also overland. My connection thus has to cross the Atlantic And the US from East to West to finally reach the server that is West Coast based. Your australian friends only have the Pacific to cross to reach it, and you only have the US, I have to deal with both at once, on an ISP that actually isn't specialized in that kind of thing :p hence my lag is more than most. It's not that bad, as long as I have other methods to get by, and my tactics arent invalided through arbitrary skill blocks *cough*RabbiePhantasm*cough*G21*cough*.
  • PolicromaPolicroma
    edited August 17, 2018

Overthinking it. As I stated before.
    You're probbaly one of those jokers who goes around saying "It works for me so it can't be an issue". Your types are probably the reason the game industry is filled with terirbly optimized games.
    Like Monster Hunter.

No. But I do know that there's some things that work better than given credit for.

I still swear by getting off channel 1 for anything that requires "twitchy" reactions. That video was recorded on channel 7.
    ShouK wrote: »

And you mentioned Baltane mission. My Australian friend can’t clear round table with normal attacks because he can’t executed the attack fast enough before the wolves attacked the barrier.

It was an aussie who had to tell me how to do round table for that exact reason. And that was the "equip a shuriken, buff speed, control click". He also beat a lot of people I know to many, MANY dan 3s.

• Echo83Echo83
    Mabinogi Rep: 435
    They definitely did well in ruining the event. The bare minimum would be to be able to assign the right keys, but even then the amount of multi aggro and stun lock and separation is enough to destroy my near unlimited patience.
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745

Like Monster Hunter.

Because we're Murica...
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    edited August 17, 2018
    Finally done with this event. To prevent aneurysms just run away. Yeah it might not work all the time, but I am done by day 2. Power be to those who did it the hard way, but if you're like me and don't want the stress...exit stage right.
    Helsa
  • IAAWIAAW
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,285
    edited August 17, 2018
    A few tips for those still having trouble with this portion of the event;

- Pay attention to wolf tactics. Ulgarms walking around in a circle likely have Defense loaded, while Ulgarms standing still and not attacking likely have Counterattack loaded.
    - Stick to normal attacks.
    - Utilize the Chain Blade's faster attack speed by prioritizing killing Ulgarms that are close to you/Subaru.
    - Remember that you have Defense and Counterattack regardless of if you get Chain Blade skills or Magic skills.
    - Subaru can take a few hits so if you can hold the Ulgarms off for long enough letting Subaru get mauled for a few seconds at the end of a run is fine.
    - Ulgarms with Defense or Counterattack loaded are Ulgarms who are not attacking. Worry about these Ulgarms last.

I find it ironic that this portion of the event is best dealt with by utilizing old school/pre-Genesis combat tactics.
    Policroma
  • dowiedowie
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,800
    If you spawn with chain skills don't hit the big wolves if they spawn. they'll often aggro to subaru and deal little to no damage while also knocking him away from the spawn. Just concentrating on small wolves with normal attacks is usually enough to get by consistently. Of course there are times when subaru goes into questionable AI mode and gets himself killed or he gets crit into the floor but that can't be helped.

For ice spear charge up at start then just use level 1spears as trying to catch multiple at a time if possible.
  • ArjuneArjune
    Mabinogi Rep: 16,890
    edited August 17, 2018
    you people are attacking people trying to help. That's pretty rude imo. I beat the mission 95% of the time the same way Policroma does w/o issue and my internet is 3MB and my laptop computer I run the game on is 5 years old. I've been telling people how to do it as well since like the beginning of the thread. if you're loading into the missions so slowly that there's already a spawn of wolves then it's likely your computer slowing down the game load time somehow. Maybe you have too many other programs running or something. It's annoying me that you guys are blaming the game itself when there's people that have no issues and are trying to give you advice to clear it
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    It is best not to run too many programs for optimum performance from the game.
    But internet quality does impact the game, services are different from area to area.
  • IyasenuIyasenu
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,265
    edited August 17, 2018
    Well, just like with the 1st week, I don't see me doing this after getting the chair.

I hope the 3rd week's part of the event lets us use our actual character.
    The language of the announcement makes me think it will, as the previous two parts have said "as Subaru" or "as Rem", while the last part doesn't say that.
  • LongSlyLongSly
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,210
    I'm just saving up on the Metia's for this mission until they provide a dialogue prompt or something that will give us a chance to change our quick bar as we like it instead of the stupid pre-sets.

You know, have skills that are useful and not filled with passive crap... and not have to reach all the way to the right for certain chain skills.

Saw a post saying if you get chain skills, conversion then sweep... yes I'll be happy to either move my fingers from the controls of my character or my hand from my mouse used for attacking to reach over to the right end of the stupid keyboard to use the useful skills as mentioned. Why not suggest I do it by putting my feet behind my head while you're at it? Helpful advice but doesn't work well when chain-skills don't have their own quickbar section unlike magic, which is ctrl+4, and have no ample time nor chance to adjust your quick bar.

I have no performance issues on my end, however, but the mechanics for this mission are not player friendly.
  • dowiedowie
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,800
    edited August 17, 2018
    There is no denying these events are rather poorly made but it definitely isn't impossible. It's just incredibly annoying.
    Jazmyn