Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Defeating the Ulgarms...

Comments

• ArjuneArjune
    Mabinogi Rep: 16,890
    edited August 17, 2018
    -reads LongSly's post-

bc4bd-beeker-what-is-this-i-dont-even.gif

-refers back to numerous posts saying don't use skills at all and just ctrl+click aka normal attack w/chain-
  • SaiSai
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,785
    edited August 17, 2018
    I finished mine, but I can understand the frustrations. If you have delay, slow physical reactons, slow decisive reaction, or the mob AI in your server/channel is aggroing too fast, you're gonna have a bad time.

Any one of those can set you up to fail in a domino effect of spawns overwhelming you.
    But sometimes you also just need to keep trying over and over and over to get better at it or figure out your own method that counters a problem you are having. I had to do stuff like lowering my MTU.

At least this isn't as bad as doing a Dan. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • PlatinaKokiPlatinaKoki
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,760
    edited August 18, 2018
    Arjune wrote: »
    you people are attacking people trying to help. That's pretty rude imo. I beat the mission 95% of the time the same way Policroma does w/o issue and my internet is 3MB and my laptop computer I run the game on is 5 years old. I've been telling people how to do it as well since like the beginning of the thread. if you're loading into the missions so slowly that there's already a spawn of wolves then it's likely your computer slowing down the game load time somehow. Maybe you have too many other programs running or something. It's annoying me that you guys are blaming the game itself when there's people that have no issues and are trying to give you advice to clear it

Net performance does have a big effect.

That's how Koreans are able to do so much damage with elves and Magnum Shot, where our players can't even reach half of what Korea can; Korea's net only has to cover an area equal to 1/6TH of Texas, whereas the NA servers have to connect over three continents.

Korea (South): 100,210 km2 (38,690 sq mi)
    Texas: 696,241 km2 (268,581 sq mi)

As for the event itself, its just like any other big event; it's designed to punish those with lower-end computers for simply having a lower-end computer.
  • ArjuneArjune
    edited August 18, 2018

Net performance does have a big effect.

3MB is like the lowest cable internet where I live... it's considered "very slow" in internet speed tests

QgoMcIT.png

While it may play a factor, I don't think it has as big an effect as you think. As for low end computers... this event puts less stress on a computer than a girg raid or field raid for sure --heck, it's about equal to a standard shadow mission with less mobs than a spawn at defeat the shadow wizard. I don't see droves of people complaining about those. I don't know what is causing people's issues tbh. One guy said the wolves were already spawned when he loaded in... that means he is loading in really slow for some reason
    GretaImaizumi
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    Iyasenu wrote: »
    Well, just like with the 1st week, I don't see me doing this after getting the chair.

I hope the 3rd week's part of the event lets us use our actual character.
    The language of the announcement makes me think it will, as the previous two parts have said "as Subaru" or "as Rem", while the last part doesn't say that.

With these weak ass characters, I think week 3 is going to be the most infuriating of them all.
    Helsa
  • YaranaikaYaranaika
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,080
    In all my years of Mabinogi you would think Nexon would learn to at least do something right. This event proves differently.. they even randomly set up the skill bar every time it's like they want to do this lol.
  • ImaizumiImaizumi
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,225
    edited August 18, 2018
    For gaming pretty sure you don't need a FAST connection at all to play. To download in a reasonable time maybe, but not to play. What you need is a STABLE connection and a FAST computer. Though in Mabi's case you need a compatible computer since it's an old game designed to run on single core and sometimes it just doesn't agree with certain modern setups.

Everything you load is already on your computer so the game just has to send and receive information of what it should load and display from the servers in many small packets. If there's a lot of lag then you're either far from the server, are on an unstable connection (often wireless or bad isp), or your PC isn't very Mabi compatible for whatever reason.

For the record I've had no problem just spamming basic chain attacks to succeed 95% of the time. Most of my fails are my own misclicks or literally because I got exceptionally bad RNG on damage rolls like 0 crits and multiple low rolls so have to 2 hit the wolves. Usually leads to a snowball effect if there's more than one alive when the next wave spawns because I get overwhelmed and eventually Subway-kun gets ran over before I can stabilize myself.
  • KttyKtty
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,415
    I've been reserving my judgment on these quests till now. I've tried everything stated previously to complete the quests. I don't think I'll be doing the current event quests cuz I just can't beat it more than 1 out of 8 tries. Hopefully next weeks quests won't be as hair pulling/screen throwing hard.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Ktty wrote: »
    I've been reserving my judgment on these quests till now. I've tried everything stated previously to complete the quests. I don't think I'll be doing the current event quests cuz I just can't beat it more than 1 out of 8 tries. Hopefully next weeks quests won't be as hair pulling/screen throwing hard.

@Ktty You can boost that number to 5/8 tries by simply running far away from Subaru. I did it and had the event completed casually in 2 days. It's not a 100% solution but it's easier with less conniption fits.
    Helsa
  • RheyRhey
    Mabinogi Rep: 10,175
    Did they only play test this Rp once and succeeded then ships it off to be implemented?

Either that or the devs are jerks wanting us to suffer with this half-baked troll of an RP.

Dam if only the end prize wasn't a coveted collab prize...
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    edited August 18, 2018
    Rhey wrote: »
    Did they only play test this Rp once and succeeded then ships it off to be implemented?

Either that or the devs are jerks wanting us to suffer with this half-baked troll of an RP.

Dam if only the end prize wasn't a coveted collab prize...

Katherz is the one that play tests most stuff. I bet when she tested this portion of the event she was like "I'm never going to hear the end of it." XD

1446732671899.gif

See all NA does is make sure stuff works as intended, this is what they intended. lol.
    Helsa
  • KttyKtty
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,415
    Gaea wrote: »
    @Ktty You can boost that number to 5/8 tries by simply running far away from Subaru. I did it and had the event completed casually in 2 days. It's not a 100% solution but it's easier with less conniption fits.

Tried and got ZERO out of my 5 daily try's. Couldn't get far enough away quickly enough before they agro'd him. He died all 5 tries. As I said, I tried all the posted solutions and not one works for me.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    edited August 18, 2018

Tried and got ZERO out of my 5 daily try's. Couldn't get far enough away quickly enough before they agro'd him. He died all 5 tries. As I said, I tried all the posted solutions and not one works for me.

Go straight to your left. Don't weave, don't look back.

I repeat, do not look back. Not even to check if you are far away enough. If you are past the moongate or you hit the fence, you are far enough. Just stay there and don't move, don't touch anything.
    Helsa
  • PlatinaKokiPlatinaKoki
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,760
    edited August 18, 2018
    Like I said, these events are designed to punish people who don't have the shiniest, newest computer with the most streamlined connection.

Also remember that this is the game that's know for huge memory leaks. Heck, I could run Skyrim on the highest graphics settings, with about a few dozen of the most tasking mods, and it still wouldn't reach half of the memory usage of Mabi.
  • TtheHeroTtheHero
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,410
    From what I gathered, here's what I do. (if someone else has stated this in the several pages, I apologize in advance.

Keep your fingers near/on the - and = keys.

If you start with Chain Skills: Dork Conversion ( -). then step back from Subaru a bit and load up Spinning Slasher. Once they spawn, camp them until you run low, then Normal any mooks that pop up and be prepared to camp them again. Get a big wolf? Shank them with Chain Impale before they notice you.

If you start with Ice Spear ( = ): step back from where you spawn and load away. You can get in at least 2 charges before they spawn. They die easily to it, plus the chain reaction of freezing is, like Nana's brussel sprouts, the gift that keeps on giving. try and position yourself in a way that lets you tag more then one Ulgarm with it. Your Normals can still 1-2 shot any strays.
  • ArjuneArjune

luckily you get 5 tries every ingame day not irl day... just keep trying I guess?. the wig and chair are really cheap in Mari so if your server is similar then you can at least buy the items if you really can't do it :/
    Imaizumi
  • BanazaiSabreBanazaiSabre
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,955
    Just cheese it. like someone said on like the front page, run away. if your worried about camera angels, set your camera facing east then just run that way, just button mash the direction as your going into the misison.. you can fail if too many spawn, so run back in after 45 seconds has passed (shows under(next?) to the exit button) and use an AOE. the mage has spell walk, but its not hotkeyed so open up your menu. doreto chain skills also has conversion hotkeyed, so use that for that run.

alternatively, you could just gamble and not fight them at all. that works too.

if you run away, nothing agros suguru..whatever his name is. suburu.
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    Ok finally decided to run it.
    Here's what I discovered. Since we only need to protect him for 1 min, you have to concentrate at the beginning and make sure to get rid of the first spawn as soon as possible and try not to get hit by any of them. Once you are knocked down that will set you back as the 2nd wave would soon spawn. Try to stay as close to Subaru as possible for if you get separated, well they're using rl wolf IQ, separate the weak (Subaru) from the rest of the herd and then kill him off. Using normal attack works if you are quick, but it is still hit and miss so far for me. It's not completely broken, but it takes a lot of concentration. The minute passes quickly if you focus enough.
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    edited August 18, 2018
    I have like 6 year old laptop. Tried to do run away method - didn't work. So i tried to fight.
    If i get Chain skills, i use Dorcha Conversion right away. Usually normal attack first spawn. Ignore huge wolves, just stand behind Subaru to make big wolves agro him first so he gets pushed away from small spawns. If i somehow fail and big wolf aggrod me, then i just kill it with Chain Impale.
    If i get Mage skills then i load Ice spear right away and spam it. First attack wolves that are closer to Subaru and try aim it the way that you could freeze several wolves. Ignore big wolves again, do same thing with them.
    After learning this, my rates with winning turned out to be like 5-7 out of 10 runs.
  • SyaohartSyaohart
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,660
    Glad I got too busy to pay attention to this thread after I finished the quest line, you guys got busy...