Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Steam Launcher - Missing nxsteam.exe?

ShogaiShogai
Mabinogi Rep: 1,090
edited August 29, 2018 in Technical Support
So, rare occasion that I post up a question rather than answer but it's been a while.

So, after the whole move to Steam and disabling direct client launching, I downloaded and have been running Mabinogi flawlessly through my Steam library. Until today. I was online, standing around afk while editing a resume, when I lost connection to the server. Cool, no big deal. Closed and relaunched the game since Nexon is notorious for booting you off for no reason, and I get the error message:
"An error occurred while updating Mabinogi (missing executable): [insert client path here]". Verifying the installation reports all files are there, so I'm assuming either another update just rolled out and they royally f'd up again, or there's an actual issue with Steam installs now?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Edit: Since the thread is still active, update time. Issue has been resolved as I had to play with the Steam/Mabinogi dependencies to force it into reacquiring new ones to replace any funky broken ones. Sorry Windows Vista users, I'm running on 10.
  1. Why do updates break the game more than fix it?5 votes
    1. Hey man, it's hard to maintain a game.
       20% (1 vote)
    2. Really... again?
       20% (1 vote)
    3. Cause Nexon.
       60% (3 votes)

Comments

• KttyKtty
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,415
    Think you need to check the website. They're in the middle of updating. I.E. the client won't find the update until they're finished.
  • ShogaiShogai
    It's funny because I hopped on the site and looked at the status and it just carried on with the normal "online" nonsense. I ended up walking away to go do other bull with the idea of it being another dumb update to enforce their crummy launcher, and here we are.
  • Dai_Mata_ReiDai_Mata_Rei
    Mabinogi Rep: 900
    i have slightly the same issue. i go to launch mabi through steam. and i get a message saying that the nexon steam connector has stopped working. i'm on a windows vista computer.
    Taiyouko
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    i have slightly the same issue. i go to launch mabi through steam. and i get a message saying that the nexon steam connector has stopped working. i'm on a windows vista computer.

Can you launch the launcher manually from your steam folder?

Can you launch the launcher manually from your steam folder?

can't manual launch anymore. when it does it won't connect to the patch server which won't let it start the rest of the way.
    now my anti virus program is flagging nxsteam.exe as a possible virus...
  • KilvanKilvan
    Mabinogi Rep: 520

I'm having the same problem and am also on a vista computer.
    Taiyouko
    Kilvan wrote: »

I'm having the same problem and am also on a vista computer.
    i think it might be a vista issue or something
    would need to know the os the original poster is using to know for sure
  • KttyKtty

A common problem with anti virus software. Adding all exe's related to Mabi as exceptions (i add the entire Mabi directory) will prevent it in the future.
    Ktty wrote: »

A common problem with anti virus software. Adding all exe's related to Mabi as exceptions (i add the entire Mabi directory) will prevent it in the future.

done that basically after it started doing so. it seems like the issue with not being able to launch the game has something to do with vista
  • KttyKtty
    ... it seems like the issue with not being able to launch the game has something to do with vista

Do you have auto update turned on i windows? Updates to the system can often cause problems with Mabi. If so you should set it to just notify you so you can decide when to install them. If any updates were installed just before this happened you can remove them. If this was the cause you shouldn't have any problems after. After a couple of updates to Mabi you can then reinstall the updates to see if Nexon has corrected for the problem.
  • TaiyoukoTaiyouko
    Mabinogi Rep: 600
    edited August 24, 2018
    I have same issue as Dai_Mata_ Rei! I struggled to find out what went wrong with my Mabinogi via Steam from Nexon that won't let me to get on game online! I am same OS user as his, Windows Vista of my old DELL computer. Before the maintenance, everything was perfectly fine until after maintenance... boom, its went wrong! I tried to do everything right with help of my Mabi friend, and yet it won't function properly! D:

unknown.png
  • TaiyoukoTaiyouko
    So~ it is nothing do with them. I spoke with the Nexon's team supporters on my ticket and discovered there is an actual missing file, a text document, that they forgot to add as one of 3 important keys after they asked the important files to look at. It is steam-connector.txt in our Steam's Mabinogi file that gone missing. :|

Now... they are working on it to resolve our issues we have yesterday.

OS (C:)\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Mabinogi

Three important text documents and one blank file.

- steam_appid.txt
    - steam_connector_config
    - steam-connector.txt.
    - errorlog.txt.

I sent back with all the attachments include one screenshot they requested me as to give them a proof that they accidentally forgot to add it. Hope they will resolve our cases for once and all today. :/
    I think most errors launching from steam would be a steam issue.

Launching with Nexon launcher itself would be a Nexon issue.
  • KilvanKilvan
    edited August 24, 2018
    Taiyouko wrote: »
    So~ it is nothing do with them. I spoke with the Nexon's team supporters on my ticket and discovered there is an actual missing file, a text document, that they forgot to add as one of 3 important keys after they asked the important files to look at. It is steam-connector.txt in our Steam's Mabinogi file that gone missing. :|

- steam_appid.txt
    - steam_connector_config
    - steam-connector.txt.
    - errorlog.txt.

I sent back with all the attachments include one screenshot they requested me as to give them a proof that they accidentally forgot to add it. Hope they will resolve our cases for once and all today. :/

Is Nexon going to fix this or is there a way to auto-generate the file, or are they telling us to update our computer's OS when people had planned to do so around the holidays (new computers, time off work, etc.?) All over a text file? Am I understanding this correctly?

Edit:
    Okay, here is an idea and I'm not sure what permissions would be needed:
    This is a .txt file so this a missing notepad file, would the text needed for a windows 7 computer be the same as for a vista pc. If so, why not post the actual text and then it would be a simple dropping the text into notepad and saving.
    The newly created file could then be dropped into the mabinogi folder.

It would be a possible work-around this issue rather that writing off all the players that still use vista...
    Taiyouko
  • TaiyoukoTaiyouko

- steam_appid.txt
    - steam_connector_config
    - steam-connector.txt.
    - errorlog.txt.

Is Nexon going to fix this or is there a way to auto-generate the file, or are they telling us to update our computer's OS when people had planned to do so around the holidays (new computers, time off work, etc.?) All over a text file? Am I understanding this correctly?

Nope. Their final response that they will not fix it since Windows Vista is no longer supported in Mabinogi.

Here is the link I put all the images I screenshoot them toward the end:

https://sta.sh/21zq8hiwsxrt

But... it made me wonder why they took "Steam Connector" text document out to make it not work for the Windows Vista users. When I revealed an important key for text document that gone missing, they probably hide their embarrassments to learn they accidentally forgot as they just refused to help and fix it.

Hmm~ well, that's it. It is sad for us all as the Windows Vista users. :(

May Windows Vista rest in peace.

- steam_appid.txt
    - steam_connector_config
    - steam-connector.txt.
    - errorlog.txt.

Edit:
    This is a .txt file so this a missing notepad file, would the text needed for a windows 7 computer be the same as for a vista pc. If so, why not post the actual text and then it would be a simple dropping the text into notepad and saving.

It would be a possible work-around this issue rather that writing off all the players that still use vista...

I think this happens when steam updates and removes files, or when a user cleans up their steam and the documents get removed. Sometimes Nexon doesn't realized it has happened until someone suffers from it.
    Taiyouko
  • KilvanKilvan
    edited August 24, 2018

- steam_appid.txt
    - steam_connector_config
    - steam-connector.txt.
    - errorlog.txt.

Edit:

I think this happens when steam updates and removes files, or when a user cleans up their steam and the documents get removed. Sometimes Nexon doesn't realized it has happened until someone suffers from it.

Does anyone that uses windows 7 and uses steam have this file? Or do any vista users not having this problem if they could copy paste the text it would be greatly appreciated.

Edit:
    Well I'm glad I kept the upgrade CD's now I just need to back everything up tomorrow to go to windows 7. I do feel really bad for the people that don't have that option though.

- steam_appid.txt
    - steam_connector_config
    - steam-connector.txt.
    - errorlog.txt.

Edit:

Does anyone that uses windows 7 and uses steam have this file? Or do any vista users not having this problem if they could copy paste the text it would be greatly appreciated.

Edit:
    Well I'm glad I kept the upgrade CD's now I just need to back everything up tomorrow to go to windows 7. I do feel really bad for the people that don't have that option though.

I don't use the steam ver for the reason of potential missing files anymore, and Steam accumulates a lot of unnecessary files as well.
    I would suggest to always save a set of updated Mabi files every 6 months to you can have backups available if anything happens.

If you have an external hard drive of large flash drive, then it should be easy to back up once in a while.
  • ShogaiShogai
    edited August 29, 2018
    As versions change and they release new patches, so do their resources and dependencies. It's likely that Vista was phased out as a planned EOL patch so any new additional content that wasn't compatible with Vista could be pushed out without them figuring out ways to make it universal to such a large span of OS evolutions. Does that suck? Absolutely.

At least Windows 7 is working for now, but there goes using my original desktop with XP for some nostalgianogi.
    Taiyouko