Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

What does "Nice to meet you." mean?

THICCthighssavelivesTHICCthighssavelives
Mabinogi Rep: 6,855
in Story Discussion
When you accept the daily quest from the trade helper and the native, they say, "Nice to meet you." Is this a Korean idiom that was translated literally or do people really say this phrase in that context?

PgpFMPP.jpg
Jazmyn

Comments

• BerylBeryl
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,750
    edited September 13, 2018
    I don't know about Korean but the Japanese, with whom the Koreans share similarities, have the phrase "yoroshiku onegaishimasu". This phrase is used when entrusting the other person with some task or responsibility. As such, it can be used in an introduction where it would mean something like: "please treat me well"; though it would usually be translated to a more common greeting like "Nice to meet you".
    In cases like the ones in your screenshots it would mean something like: "Please perform the task well", where a more natural translation might be: "I'll leave it to you" or even "good luck" (as an expression of the desire that the task goes well).

If the Korean phrase is any similar, then the translation is wrong due to ignorance about it's contextual sensitivity.
    THICCthighssavelivesAmaraz
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    I think they are just saying this because of seeing you for the first time, since it is mentioned in lore that NPC's don't remember Milletians long enough, because of our ability to rebirth and change appearance. Which actually explains why they are stuck at this loop.
    BronzebreakJazmynKensamaofmariHabimaruCarminsia
  • THICCthighssavelivesTHICCthighssavelives
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,855
    Thanks, Beryl. I had not thought of "Nice to meet you" that way. I have heard yoroshiku onegaishimasu in subbed anime, and that does make a lot of sense. Hopefully a Korean speaker comes around to help.

Whenever I read the phrase, I always thought of Jerry Seinfeld shouting it argumentatively.
    Jazmyn
  • AlshianAlshian
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,065
    When someone says "Nice to meet you" the moment they met me for the first time gives me a message "Nice to see you dead" In some pvp games > w>'''
    THICCthighssavelivesKensamaofmari
  • TreesTrees
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,265
    Nice to meet you is a common phrase in English. If you know Romance languages, it is the same as «es un placer a conocerte» o «mucho gusto» en castellano, «molt de gust» en català, etc in others.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    In both cases you are about to embark on a potentially lethal endeavour. It could be the case that the NPC's are being snarky so that when they say "Nice to meet you" they're really saying "Nice knowing you". The real question would then be do you then hear them say "sucker" afterwards or not.
  • CarminsiaCarminsia
    Mabinogi Rep: 500
    Greta wrote: »
    I think they are just saying this because of seeing you for the first time, since it is mentioned in lore that NPC's don't remember Milletians long enough, because of our ability to rebirth and change appearance. Which actually explains why they are stuck at this loop.

I think it's moreso this, because other NPCs in Towns when you first start conversation with them will act like they don't recognize you even if you just talked to them.